Why do people act funny, or get offended when you ask them how much they make? Never understood..

Originally Posted by CrusaderRB32

Dude's mom I know was asked how much she made by a fellow employee. She told her, which caused a big issue because apparently the "asker" was making much less than the number she said. Caused big issues within the business. Moral of the story, keep your finances to yourself FTW.
This is why only managers, the finance team, and HR should know about people's salary.
laugh.gif

More than likely it stems from some historical psychological fear.

If you had money you could either get robbed by thieves, have problems with the state (esp if you were underpaying your tax obligations), or hung by angry peasants.

It still holds true today to some extent but it's odd that the one's who fear disclosing it the most are the average or below average earners.

More than likely it stems from some historical psychological fear.

If you had money you could either get robbed by thieves, have problems with the state (esp if you were underpaying your tax obligations), or hung by angry peasants.

It still holds true today to some extent but it's odd that the one's who fear disclosing it the most are the average or below average earners.

It's a status symbol. I know some people that take it way to heart and think they are bigger then they are and I know damn well they were the shy guy back in school.

It's a status symbol. I know some people that take it way to heart and think they are bigger then they are and I know damn well they were the shy guy back in school.

Dude's mom I know was asked how much she made by a fellow employee. She told her, which caused a big issue because apparently the "asker" was making much less than the number she said. Caused big issues within the business. Moral of the story, keep your finances to yourself FTW.

It's important to know what your peers are making.
Management is always trying to under-compensate. 

It's important to know what your peers are making.
Management is always trying to under-compensate. 

wow, people on here are really that insecure about it.

i dont see the problem with it, though i see the reasons NT gave me. Asking "how much you make" can be handled in many different situations.

if one of my friends or family gets a new job; why would it be so bizarre to ask how much they make? when they told me they got a new job.

but when just asking how much you make, i can see how its non of my business, but im just asking. you dont need to tell me. im sure no one asks it to offend the other person.

And to the person who said money is a bad way to follow a profession is BEE.ES. Money should be 50% of the reason you go into a profession. people want money, "this" is the job to get that money....why not try and do that job?

wow, people on here are really that insecure about it.

i dont see the problem with it, though i see the reasons NT gave me. Asking "how much you make" can be handled in many different situations.

if one of my friends or family gets a new job; why would it be so bizarre to ask how much they make? when they told me they got a new job.

but when just asking how much you make, i can see how its non of my business, but im just asking. you dont need to tell me. im sure no one asks it to offend the other person.

And to the person who said money is a bad way to follow a profession is BEE.ES. Money should be 50% of the reason you go into a profession. people want money, "this" is the job to get that money....why not try and do that job?

Originally Posted by Nikekidwonder

Because its basically like asking someone how much are they worth in the world

and depending on their answer.. whether its more than you make or less it can effect your relationship with that person in a good or bad way and it can alter your perception of that person completely

Yea .. all that from that one question ... thats why people chose not to ask and you should too

Originally Posted by Nikekidwonder

Because its basically like asking someone how much are they worth in the world

and depending on their answer.. whether its more than you make or less it can effect your relationship with that person in a good or bad way and it can alter your perception of that person completely

Yea .. all that from that one question ... thats why people chose not to ask and you should too

If you make more than that person expects, then it's like you're showing off.

If you make less than that person expects, then they look at you as poor.

Like people said, it's something very personal. There are situations were it's o.k. to ask. Usually I try to phrase it as, "how much does someone in this profession make?" Or make the conversation about the career they're in and, if they're comfortable about it, they'll openly tell you how much they make without you having to ask.

If you make more than that person expects, then it's like you're showing off.

If you make less than that person expects, then they look at you as poor.

Like people said, it's something very personal. There are situations were it's o.k. to ask. Usually I try to phrase it as, "how much does someone in this profession make?" Or make the conversation about the career they're in and, if they're comfortable about it, they'll openly tell you how much they make without you having to ask.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Originally Posted by undefinedinc

I don't get offended but it is a tacky question to ask in society 

Exactly.  How does it benefit someone by knowing how much someone else makes or what they paid for something?
Many questions get asked by people that don't benefit from them. "How tall are you?" for example

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Originally Posted by undefinedinc

I don't get offended but it is a tacky question to ask in society 

Exactly.  How does it benefit someone by knowing how much someone else makes or what they paid for something?
Many questions get asked by people that don't benefit from them. "How tall are you?" for example

Essentially, it's because people spend a VAST majority pretending they make more than they do.

Asking them how much they make will ruin their fabricated image.

99% of North Americans life outside their means. The dude decked out in a $300 Ed Hardy tee is still living at home, doesn't own a car, and bought the shirt on credit... but at drunk at a club at 2 in the morning women do not know that. They just know he is in a $300 teeshirt.

Essentially, it's because people spend a VAST majority pretending they make more than they do.

Asking them how much they make will ruin their fabricated image.

99% of North Americans life outside their means. The dude decked out in a $300 Ed Hardy tee is still living at home, doesn't own a car, and bought the shirt on credit... but at drunk at a club at 2 in the morning women do not know that. They just know he is in a $300 teeshirt.

Back
Top Bottom