Why do people like the Wire ?

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

was kinda boring to me

i did watch and like the prequel series tho
I've downloaded the series twice but haven't watched more than a few episodes. Show is just boring to me

Someone told me to check the prequel out, been meaning to do that.

...okay, this is the second time someones said something about a prequel. THERE IS NO SUCH THING. 

....the writer did make 3 short stories (and im talking less than 4 mintues), that were kind of background stories to a few characters (Prop Joe, Omar/No Heart Anthony, Bunk/McNulty). but far from a prequel.

- my guess is you probably got that for some dumb #$% that thought 'The Corner' (another series by the same writer) was the prequel to The Wire.........its funny, thats what that "too much talking", "too much reading" perspective and attitude will get you
eyes.gif
. its sad, i dont see how people get by in life like that.

yeah it was that one.
In dude's defense he never said it was a legit prequel.

and the too much talking has nothing to do with it. Just not interested in the show.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

was kinda boring to me

i did watch and like the prequel series tho
I've downloaded the series twice but haven't watched more than a few episodes. Show is just boring to me

Someone told me to check the prequel out, been meaning to do that.

...okay, this is the second time someones said something about a prequel. THERE IS NO SUCH THING. 

....the writer did make 3 short stories (and im talking less than 4 mintues), that were kind of background stories to a few characters (Prop Joe, Omar/No Heart Anthony, Bunk/McNulty). but far from a prequel.

- my guess is you probably got that for some dumb #$% that thought 'The Corner' (another series by the same writer) was the prequel to The Wire.........its funny, thats what that "too much talking", "too much reading" perspective and attitude will get you
eyes.gif
. its sad, i dont see how people get by in life like that.

yeah it was that one.
In dude's defense he never said it was a legit prequel.

and the too much talking has nothing to do with it. Just not interested in the show.

The realism. They take you deep into the hood, the port system, the school system, law enforcement, and even the newspapers all.while.featuring dynamic, well developed characters. Superb acting as well. The show is gold.

The realism. They take you deep into the hood, the port system, the school system, law enforcement, and even the newspapers all.while.featuring dynamic, well developed characters. Superb acting as well. The show is gold.

I could go on and on about why I believe The Wire is in fact the best show ever created, as I just did in another thread, but I think this thread presents a more interesting question:

If you genuinely cannot see the brilliance in something that is almost unanimously considered to be brilliant by the rest of society, is there something off about your perception of that product, or is every matter of taste ultimately subjective? In other words, is there ever a point where society's near-unanimous approval of something makes that thing quasi-objectively great?

I ask this because I honestly don't understand how someone could actually watch The Wire and not think it's a fantastic show, but also because I've watched movies that everyone else seems to love and have come away unimpressed. Lord of the Rings, for example, was maybe the most boring movie I've ever seen.

I could go on and on about why I believe The Wire is in fact the best show ever created, as I just did in another thread, but I think this thread presents a more interesting question:

If you genuinely cannot see the brilliance in something that is almost unanimously considered to be brilliant by the rest of society, is there something off about your perception of that product, or is every matter of taste ultimately subjective? In other words, is there ever a point where society's near-unanimous approval of something makes that thing quasi-objectively great?

I ask this because I honestly don't understand how someone could actually watch The Wire and not think it's a fantastic show, but also because I've watched movies that everyone else seems to love and have come away unimpressed. Lord of the Rings, for example, was maybe the most boring movie I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

I actually just typed this in a discussion similiar to the one you began a while ago
Seymore CAKE wrote:
What often goes over peoples heads is the plot/purpose/category of the story/series.  People watch it with the belief that they're watching a cop drama or a story about drug dealing, when in actuality what you're witnessing is the story of a major city decay within our society right in front of you via your screen.  You get to see how everything is related, how each and every part of our society lends a hand to the success or failure of another pillar of our society.  You get to the see the games that are being played to acheive a goal and you see that there really isn't much difference besides the arena in which you are.  You witness this in politics, law enforcement, journalism, education, and in the streets, and what it shows you is what you said "the game is the game" however its the same game no matter what level you're on.  It holds the mirror up to american society and forces those of us who watched without reservations or expectations to take a good look at who/what we are and the parts that we play and what we bring to the table along with those individual who are around us.

I've have the fortune of being exposed to a lot of different atmospheres from dealing with local/city/and state government officials (aldermans city council members, mayors, state reps & senators), to being at hospital board meetings to having personal relationships with police officers to being a product of the inner city residing in a horrible nieghborhood surrounded by all types of criminal activity.  That when I say without a doubt that everything that you see in the wire is cut and dry what it is with little to no sensationalism, I feel very comfortable.  I can't count the amount of times I've been watching that show and afterwards had a conversation in which I recalled an event I experienced or a story I was told that correlated with exactly what I just witnessed. It is thee most accurate depiction of each of those arena's, and this comes from the writer/producer having direct knowledge themself or from someone who was directly involved/played that part.  Furthermore what you don't realize is that many of the character that you are watching their stories are based off a real person who actually took part in acting in the show.

For example: Clay Davis his character was based off a real senator, and that person is the same person who played the radio dj giving him the interview.  Avon Barksdale was based off Melvin Williams who played the Deacon who got Cutty his gym & who Bunny Colvin went to in season 3.  Mayor Royce decision was to legalize/decriminalize drugs was something that a former mayor attempted to do, and the actual mayor was in the meeting discussing the pros & cons of that decision during that episode.  This is something that you've never seen nor will you ever see, these stories came from intimate knowledge of the inner workings of these environment.  Its not just some made of drama.

Thats what goes over a lot of viewers heads.

You're opinion is you're opinion and not here to knock it or to try to change it, I believe The Wire is the greatest piece of cinema I've ever seen and thats all that matters to me.

Well said...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

I actually just typed this in a discussion similiar to the one you began a while ago
Seymore CAKE wrote:
What often goes over peoples heads is the plot/purpose/category of the story/series.  People watch it with the belief that they're watching a cop drama or a story about drug dealing, when in actuality what you're witnessing is the story of a major city decay within our society right in front of you via your screen.  You get to see how everything is related, how each and every part of our society lends a hand to the success or failure of another pillar of our society.  You get to the see the games that are being played to acheive a goal and you see that there really isn't much difference besides the arena in which you are.  You witness this in politics, law enforcement, journalism, education, and in the streets, and what it shows you is what you said "the game is the game" however its the same game no matter what level you're on.  It holds the mirror up to american society and forces those of us who watched without reservations or expectations to take a good look at who/what we are and the parts that we play and what we bring to the table along with those individual who are around us.

I've have the fortune of being exposed to a lot of different atmospheres from dealing with local/city/and state government officials (aldermans city council members, mayors, state reps & senators), to being at hospital board meetings to having personal relationships with police officers to being a product of the inner city residing in a horrible nieghborhood surrounded by all types of criminal activity.  That when I say without a doubt that everything that you see in the wire is cut and dry what it is with little to no sensationalism, I feel very comfortable.  I can't count the amount of times I've been watching that show and afterwards had a conversation in which I recalled an event I experienced or a story I was told that correlated with exactly what I just witnessed. It is thee most accurate depiction of each of those arena's, and this comes from the writer/producer having direct knowledge themself or from someone who was directly involved/played that part.  Furthermore what you don't realize is that many of the character that you are watching their stories are based off a real person who actually took part in acting in the show.

For example: Clay Davis his character was based off a real senator, and that person is the same person who played the radio dj giving him the interview.  Avon Barksdale was based off Melvin Williams who played the Deacon who got Cutty his gym & who Bunny Colvin went to in season 3.  Mayor Royce decision was to legalize/decriminalize drugs was something that a former mayor attempted to do, and the actual mayor was in the meeting discussing the pros & cons of that decision during that episode.  This is something that you've never seen nor will you ever see, these stories came from intimate knowledge of the inner workings of these environment.  Its not just some made of drama.

Thats what goes over a lot of viewers heads.

You're opinion is you're opinion and not here to knock it or to try to change it, I believe The Wire is the greatest piece of cinema I've ever seen and thats all that matters to me.

Well said...
pimp.gif

mostly cuz the black people
laugh.gif
: (call me racist bt I think tht may have made it better imo)
watch the show on good episodes you will see. I know a few eps like from season 2 were dry but season 1 has to be the greatest of all time.

Spoiler [+]
kanye_shrug.png

mostly cuz the black people
laugh.gif
: (call me racist bt I think tht may have made it better imo)
watch the show on good episodes you will see. I know a few eps like from season 2 were dry but season 1 has to be the greatest of all time.

Spoiler [+]
kanye_shrug.png

I watched the corner and it was dope. Ill prob get to check out the wire sometime before I die, been meaning to but never get around to it.

I watched the corner and it was dope. Ill prob get to check out the wire sometime before I die, been meaning to but never get around to it.

OP get through the entire first season before you muster up an opinion..

it starts slow...only to build up the story.

but it starts poppin off towards the end of the season...i'm literally hooked now.

**i'm guessing this is how the rest of the seasons develop..starts slow and picks right up mid to end of the season

OP get through the entire first season before you muster up an opinion..

it starts slow...only to build up the story.

but it starts poppin off towards the end of the season...i'm literally hooked now.

**i'm guessing this is how the rest of the seasons develop..starts slow and picks right up mid to end of the season

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

Just finished season 1 and starting 2 now.

Be prepared for a drastic change in season 2 compared to season 1 plot wise.

Alot of people don't like it initially, but the payoff when the series concludes is well worth it.

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

Just finished season 1 and starting 2 now.

Be prepared for a drastic change in season 2 compared to season 1 plot wise.

Alot of people don't like it initially, but the payoff when the series concludes is well worth it.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

All of you saying there's too much talking and don't have the attention span to keep up skip ahead to season 4, it'll keep your attention

Yall need to realize it takes time to build a story/case. It's called The Wire for a reason
Exactly. All the people who get through an episode or two and stop watching are looking for a Law & Order type show where in a matter of 60 minutes you're introduced to the plot, the characters, and by the end it's solved and on to the next one. That's the best part about 'The Wire', there's plots and stories that take seasons and seasons to develop and not because the writers are lazy or not good at what they do, it's because murder and drug trafficking cases don't get solved in 72 hours, they take years upon years. Just like SeymoreCake said, 'The Wire' is the closest to perfection a show has ever gotten at depicting the plight of a major American city, THERE ARE COURSES AT IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS TOUGHT ON 'The Wire' and how it has given us an insight into societal inequalities.  That's how important of a show it is. The character's are so real and for anyone who's lived in Maryland or who knows Maryland politics, societal issues,etc. knows jsut how real everything that happens in the show is.  I still chuckle when I remember them talking about how they were afraid of Howard COunty(where I'm from) because they thought it was the country and filled with KKK members.
laugh.gif

I'm pissed that I've yet to find another show like it. The suspense of when you first watch the series is unmatched. I would watch four episodes a day because I wanted to get to the end to know what happened but then when the end finally came I was so pissed that it was over. Greatest show of all time.

It would be really itneresting if they had another season where they delved into the extreme gentrification that's going on in the city right now.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

All of you saying there's too much talking and don't have the attention span to keep up skip ahead to season 4, it'll keep your attention

Yall need to realize it takes time to build a story/case. It's called The Wire for a reason
Exactly. All the people who get through an episode or two and stop watching are looking for a Law & Order type show where in a matter of 60 minutes you're introduced to the plot, the characters, and by the end it's solved and on to the next one. That's the best part about 'The Wire', there's plots and stories that take seasons and seasons to develop and not because the writers are lazy or not good at what they do, it's because murder and drug trafficking cases don't get solved in 72 hours, they take years upon years. Just like SeymoreCake said, 'The Wire' is the closest to perfection a show has ever gotten at depicting the plight of a major American city, THERE ARE COURSES AT IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS TOUGHT ON 'The Wire' and how it has given us an insight into societal inequalities.  That's how important of a show it is. The character's are so real and for anyone who's lived in Maryland or who knows Maryland politics, societal issues,etc. knows jsut how real everything that happens in the show is.  I still chuckle when I remember them talking about how they were afraid of Howard COunty(where I'm from) because they thought it was the country and filled with KKK members.
laugh.gif

I'm pissed that I've yet to find another show like it. The suspense of when you first watch the series is unmatched. I would watch four episodes a day because I wanted to get to the end to know what happened but then when the end finally came I was so pissed that it was over. Greatest show of all time.

It would be really itneresting if they had another season where they delved into the extreme gentrification that's going on in the city right now.

Just finished season 1&2 one of the greatest shows of all times.

String was my favorite in the first season but now he's the most hated. I can't wait to see him get what he deserves.

Frank was my favorite in season two. Can't wait until Marlo is introduced.

Back
Top Bottom