Why do women call each other B's VOL. KIX4KIX VS DYILISH ROUND 2

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

Originally Posted by Method Man

There's a distinction to be made between in-group and out-group that most are already familiar with. You can often get away with calling friends and family members an insulting name because a shared understanding exists between you. If I, on the other hand, attempt to use this same insult as an outsider - even if I do so within moments of your invoking the term - it's far more likely to be interpreted as offensive or, at the very least, presumptuous. Its use assumes a familiarity and connection that does not yet exist. You might tease a significant other by calling him or her stupid, but odds are you wouldn't allow a stranger to refer to them that way.

The irony of in-group/out-group with regard to otherwise offensive terms referring to race, gender, ethnicity, nationality, belief, etc. is the discomfort it creates for privileged groups. In a sexist, androcentric society, men are privileged. They're the social default.

You may have been exposed to the "doctor riddle," the typical response to which often proves this point:
"A young boy and his father were out playing football when they were caught at the bottom of a giant pileup. Both were injured and rushed to the hospital. They were wheeled into separate operating rooms and two doctors prepped up to work on them, one doctor for each patient. The doctor operating on the father got started right away, but the doctor assigned to the young boy stared at him in surprise. "I can´t operate on him!" the doctor exclaimed to the staff. "That child is my son!"

How can that be?"
People tend to come up with incredibly convoluted answers, ripped from soap opera scripts and cheap novels.

For men to feel as though they're not allowed to use a term that women can places them in the unfamiliar role of the outsider. It seems to be this discomfort that so upsets Whites about their sudden inability to get away with using racial slurs. What was, once, a symbol of their power has become publicly contested territory as historically nondominant groups claim their right to self-definition and self-determination.

You may think it's wrong for Fred Sanford to call his son a dummy, but 1) obviously that doesn't give you the right to do it and 2) it's not your decision.

This is not to say that all or even most women would be fine with a woman they don't know referring to them - or any woman - by a term that has so long degraded women - far from it. Calling it a "double standard," though, is inaccurate. It's about choice, and the whole point is that it is NOT, in this case, a man's choice to make.
- jesus. i swear, Method Man's true identity is the biggest mystery on NT. im betting when we finally do find out who Meth is he'll be a black Benjamin Linus moderating from the island
laugh.gif

*highlights and copies Meth's post for any future N-word debate*
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

pity-poor-ben.jpg

^ Dude if anyone's going out of their way to be lame it's you with every failed attempt of yours to put this girl in her place.

laugh.gif
and
laugh.gif
at the title change. I have no issues with her, and I am mos def not TRYING to put anyone in their place via interwebz. You mad I got an opiniondoggie?

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Uhh...why would I be mad? You sound like a damn child.

U right famo Im funna edit my wack immature rant real quick.

For men to feel as though they're not allowed to use a term that women can places them in the unfamiliar role of the outsider. It seems to be this discomfort that so upsets Whites about their sudden inability to get away with using racial slurs. What was, once, a symbol of their power has become publicly contested territory as historically nondominant groups claim their right to self-definition and self-determination.

You may think it's wrong for Fred Sanford to call his son a dummy, but 1) obviously that doesn't give you the right to do it and 2) it's not your decision.

This is not to say that all or even most women would be fine with a woman they don't know referring to them - or any woman - by a term that has so long degraded women - far from it. Calling it a "double standard," though, is inaccurate. It's about choice, and the whole point is that it is NOT, in this case, a man's choice to make.
If I see a woman calling another woman a b_ as a term of endearment, as a man and as the "outsider", I would look at them like they wereboth stupid. I don't view the use of the N word by todays youth as a right of "self definition", but as a total disregard for what previousgenerations had to go through. I don't think white people have any discomfort about not being able to use the N word. It's not that don't want tosay it, but they feel like they don't have to say it anymore, because black people use it on themselves. As the "outsider", white people look atblack people who use the n word as a term of endearment stupid, just like me as the "outsider" look at the two women who call each other B'sstupid. I know ultimately the choice of the use of those words is by the people who are self defining themselves, but that still doesn't mean the use ofthose words it is the right choice.

Originally Posted by 18th letter

I don't think what J Dilla said was that bad.

And honestly the N word doesn't even phase me. If someone called me that I would be like
laugh.gif
seriously? Thats all you got?

Exactly. 'cus when someone gets angry to the point they have to call you the "N" word. You win.

I think most of you would be more dissapointed than amazed as to Method Mans true identity no one can live up to such high expectations...I'm sure he wouldagree

Originally Posted by IM A HELION

Originally Posted by Mac A Roni

"A young boy and his father were out playing football when they were caught at the bottom of a giant pileup. Both were injured and rushed to the hospital. They were wheeled into separate operating rooms and two doctors prepped up to work on them, one doctor for each patient. The doctor operating on the father got started right away, but the doctor assigned to the young boy stared at him in surprise. "I can´t operate on him!" the doctor exclaimed to the staff. "That child is my son!"

[color= rgb(102, 0, 153)]Huh?[/color]
I swear I reread this like three times trying to figure out the message and it hit me square in the head when I scrolled down and read what homeboy said.
laugh.gif

People always say how society's getting more and more unbiased when it comes to gender and race, but my automatically assuming the doctor was a man is proof that we have a LONG LONG way to go.

Actually i'm so progressive I assumed the son was adopted by a gay couple.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

There's a distinction to be made between in-group and out-group that most are already familiar with. You can often get away with calling friends and family members an insulting name because a shared understanding exists between you. If I, on the other hand, attempt to use this same insult as an outsider - even if I do so within moments of your invoking the term - it's far more likely to be interpreted as offensive or, at the very least, presumptuous. Its use assumes a familiarity and connection that does not yet exist. You might tease a significant other by calling him or her stupid, but odds are you wouldn't allow a stranger to refer to them that way.

The irony of in-group/out-group with regard to otherwise offensive terms referring to race, gender, ethnicity, nationality, belief, etc. is the discomfort it creates for privileged groups. In a sexist, androcentric society, men are privileged. They're the social default.

You may have been exposed to the "doctor riddle," the typical response to which often proves this point:

How can that be?"
People tend to come up with incredibly convoluted answers, ripped from soap opera scripts and cheap novels.

- jesus. i swear, Method Man's true identity is the biggest mystery on NT. im betting when we finally do find out who Meth is he'll be a black Benjamin Linus moderating from the island
laugh.gif

*highlights and copies Meth's post for any future N-word debate*

roll.gif

I did the same
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom