Why does J Cole get a pass but not Drake? Vol. Started from the bottom

♪ you gon' make me catch a body like that ♪
indifferent.gif

Thing is people clown Drake, but let's be honest, most of us ride with his music, doe.

J. Cole, he's that dude that is kinda nice, but really doesn't have enough lyricism to be a underground legend, and not pop enough to blow up.

♪ you gon' make me catch a body like that ♪
indifferent.gif
http://www.complex.com/music/2011/11/drake-complex-cover-story-2011/page/3
But if music is a blend of reality and artistic license, where does Drake’s talk about catching bodies fall? “Who’s going to catch a body with all these ****** rapping about murder?” he asks. “Who’s really putting a body on a gun?” C-Murder and Gucci Mane come to mind, but I say nothing. “When I say, ‘You’re going to make someone around me catch a body like that,’ that’s something you can ask them about.” He points to his boy Chubbs—the one who’s “in love with street ****.”

“Everybody wants to poke and jab at Drake because they don’t feel like he will throw back,” says Chubbs, who met Drake nearly four years ago. “But nobody around here is going to let something happen to him at any time, especially me. I’m not ever going to let nothing happen to him. If it’s going to happen it’s going to happen to me first.”

Drake never looks for trouble, but he’s not going to run and cower if it comes looking for him. “If somebody wants to bring a problem to me, it’s strictly based off of their immense amount of hate for me,” he says. “It’s never because I’ve sparked that using my voice, my image, or my outlet. I never use my outlet for confrontation or negativity, ever. I always try and give people music to ride to and music to enjoy. All I ever ask in return is that it’s mutual love.”

Is that too much to ask? Maybe. But what can you do when the love turns to hate? “I’m ready for whatever,” he says. “I don’t give a ****. I want to move through life in the most non-confrontational way possible, but I’m not a *****. Don’t ever get that mixed up.”

They both are terrible. Drake is a Canadian child television star ( a black man who never had a tape up until he was over 20 also) who tries to sound southern. J Cole is a southern cornball who tries to sound like he is from New York. This whole era of rap is weird to me. Integrity is not even required or demanded. We have an ex-cop as the top drug dealer/gangster rapper for God's sake. Snitches rap. Tommy Hilfiger's son tryna' rap. Rappers wearin' skirts. Even rappers that we used to respect are so lacking in integrity, that they boost up and collaborate with the frauds to help their careers. If the climate back in the day was like it is now and we were as accepting of this garbage, we would be calling Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer's albums "classic" today and they would be Jay Z status.

Last edited:
They both are terrible. Drake is a Canadian child television star ( a black man who never had a tape up until he was over 20 also) who tries to sound southern. J Cole is a southern cornball who tries to sound like he is from New York. This whole era of rap is weird to me. Integrity is not even required or demanded. We have an ex-cop as the top drug dealer/gangster rapper for God's sake. Snitches rap. Tommy Hilfiger's son tryna' rap. Rappers wearin' skirts. Even rappers that we used to respect are so lacking in integrity, that they boost up and collaborate with the frauds to help their careers. If the climate back in the day was like it is now and we were as accepting of this garbage, we would be calling Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer's albums "classic" today and they would be Jay Z status.

I think saying Cole is trying to sound like he's from New York is a reach man. He's rapping. Of course there are many artists that definitely have that southern style (Outkast, T.I, Gucci Mane, etc), but there are plenty of other rappers from the south that do not rap with the typical down south flow (Little Brother, Jay Electronica, Curren$y, etc.). It all depends on the style of hip-hop you gravitated to.

I'm from the south. Growing up, all my boys just listened to down south artists for the most part. I, of course, listened to down south artists too, but I also grew up listening to other artists from different regions (Common, Nas, Jay-Z, Tribe Called Quest, Slum Village, State Property, etc). If I rapped, I probably wouldn't have a "down south" flow because of the music I was exposed to. So, I can't agree with you when you say he tries to sound like he's from NY.

Last edited:

I think saying Cole is trying to sound like he's from New York is a reach man. He's rapping. Of course there are many artists that definitely have that southern style (Outkast, T.I, Gucci Mane, etc), but there are plenty of other rappers from the south that do not rap with the typical down south flow (Little Brother, Jay Electronica, Curren$y, etc.). It all depends on the style of hip-hop you gravitated to.

I'm from the south. Growing up, all my boys just listened to down south artists for the most part. I, of course, listened to down south artists too, but I also grew up listening to other artists from different regions (Common, Nas, Jay-Z, Tribe Called Quest, Slum Village, State Property, etc). If I rapped, I probably wouldn't have a "down south" flow because of the music I was exposed to. So, I can't agree with you when you say he tries to sound like he's from NY.

So your rap accent would be different than your speaking accent? Whatever man, I've only heard two songs by him anyways. I just listened to another on Youtube and it sounded like a New York accent to me. Just another aspect of the fakeness that permeates rap music today. Jay Electronica has a super fake New York accent. I liked him better when he was called Killah Priest anyways. RIP Pimp C. I'm out...

So your rap accent would be different than your speaking accent? Whatever man, I've only heard two songs by him anyways. I just listened to another on Youtube and it sounded like a New York accent to me. Just another aspect of the fakeness that permeates rap music today. Jay Electronica has a super fake New York accent. I liked him better when he was called Killah Priest anyways. RIP Pimp C. I'm out...

Nah, my accent would be the same. But to me, he sounds like a regular *** dude. Different perspectives, I guess. Carry on.

Ehh I disagree. Cole sounds like a lot of dudes I went to school with that was from NC. Actually most of the people I met from NC didn't sound "country", now cats from Georgia, Bama, N.O., and Florida..that's a whole different story. There's no way Jay Electronica actually talks like that being from N.O....no f'in way.

Ehh I disagree. Cole sounds like a lot of dudes I went to school with that was from NC. Actually most of the people I met from NC didn't sound "country", now cats from Georgia, Bama, N.O., and Florida..that's a whole different story. There's no way Jay Electronica actually talks like that being from N.O....no f'in way.

North Carolina is still southern. I bet J Cole mama and grandmama speaks with a southern accent. Just because other people there hopped on New York's jock and put on a fake accent, doesn't mean that his ain't fake too.

They are both Kanye's sons in terms of delivery
co-sign this powerful post

son J.Cole raps about his student loans ALL THE TIME.. he never denies going to college or anything.. its not like Drake or J.Cole just popped up and instantly blew.. all can be seen on youtube putting in work from young.. Drake had two mixtapes that he didnt blow off.. a verse with trey songz he didnt blow off.. he did start from the bottom in the music game.. mixtapes then success.. they didnt Trinidad James it.

They are both Kanye's sons in terms of delivery

co-sign this powerful post
Nas been colbo with Ross for a while

this post sucks

and this was during the time when Ross was exposed of being a Ex CO
lol people just love to hate on Nas

Last edited:
I forgot to add that these simps nowadays lettin' no talent useless groupie sluts get recording contracts and television shows. :smh: Disgusting. We in the hair band era of hip hop.None of this garbage gets a pass in my world.

Back
Top Bottom