Why does jordan ice yellow?

^^ U WOULD SLIP N BUSS URSELF LOL.....but otherwise, i dont know, i would be iffy using any arisal product on my kicks......but then again seaglow is a boatcleaner lol so who knows.....

i have a pair of DS DMP XI. I have them stored in the box in a closet away from sunlight. i heard to prevent them from yellowing i should put them in a ziplock bag and try to remove as much air as possible. is this true?

I'm a chemist so:
1. some of you are right, yellowing occurs because of oxidation and decomposition of the polymer;
2. if Reebok has some that "don't yellow" chances are they are a harder polymer with less grip and comfort than say, Jordan XIs
3. Seaglow actually does partially reverse the yellowing by creating another light initiated chemical reaction with the soles, but it IS bad for the overalllife of the shoes.

Originally Posted by trevor25

i have a pair of DS DMP XI. I have them stored in the box in a closet away from sunlight. i heard to prevent them from yellowing i should put them in a zip lock bag and try to remove as much air as possible. is this true?
I would suggest that YOU DO NOT place the silica IN the ziplock bag. Silica packs absorb moisture which will help the Yellowing problem, but, your kixwill turn into powder instead.

MaZe

pisses me off that the mesh on the sides yellows too. b/c i 'm pretty sure they could make that so it wouldnt.. without sacrificing performance.

think some questions came with icey soles, dont know if it effected the traction

Your clear soles turn yellow because you step in too much piss
tongue.gif

JK...oxidation <--

i use 2-4 silica packs per shoe in the box, keep it wrapped in the paper and keep the boxes all in a cool, dry place. I've had some for years and they arestill as fresh as the day they were produced. but some have yellowed slightly, but i love them as much or more than DS.

Originally Posted by jcliz

I'm a chemist so:
1. some of you are right, yellowing occurs because of oxidation and decomposition of the polymer;
2. if Reebok has some that "don't yellow" chances are they are a harder polymer with less grip and comfort than say, Jordan XIs
3. Seaglow actually does partially reverse the yellowing by creating another light initiated chemical reaction with the soles, but it IS bad for the overall life of the shoes.

so is it even worth using seaglow in the overall picture? i have some spacejams that are in great condition. the only problem is the soles did turn a bityellow.

Originally Posted by spoonmanofthehour

Originally Posted by jcliz

I'm a chemist so:
3. Seaglow actually does partially reverse the yellowing by creating another light initiated chemical reaction with the soles, but it IS bad for the overall life of the shoes.

so is it even worth using seaglow in the overall picture? i have some spacejams that are in great condition. the only problem is the soles did turn a bit yellow.
Not unless you're going to put them on a shelf for the rest of the time imo.

if OG icy sole doesnt change to yellow w/o any special care, i think tht ice sole has something wrong on it...
hmm

Originally Posted by MaZeDOwNeR

i have a pair of DS DMP XI. I have them stored in the box in a closet away from sunlight. i heard to prevent them from yellowing i should put them in a zip lock bag and try to remove as much air as possible. is this true?
I would suggest that YOU DO NOT place the silica IN the ziplock bag. Silica packs absorb moisture which will help the Yellowing problem, but, your kix will turn into powder instead.

MaZe

Listen to the man, i cant stress enough on how many people do this, and then complain how when they walk their soles crack.

no no no my friend learned the hard way... it dries them up!!!

if yellow ice is anything like yellow snow, then all i know is that you aren't supposed to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom