Why Does Paul "The Truth" Pierce STILL Get No Respect??

Earlier tonight, Bill Walton said that he NEVER KNEW PAUL PIERCE WAS THIS GOOD.
eek.gif
with a
indifferent.gif
and a
smh.gif
thrown in.

How could you not know that the main player on your former team (a team that Walton proudly claims to still follow) is as good as advertised? Either Waltondoesn't really watch basketball or he has switched teams and only follows the Lakers because of his son now.

Screaming A Smith basically had the same response that I did. He couldn't believe Bill actually made that statement on live tv.

Anyhow, Pierce has been doing his thing since college (at Kansas) with Jacque Vaughn and Raef Lafrentz. He was the co-Big 8 ROY (with Chauncey Billups) as afreshman.

spo_heaven.jpg

He averaged 20 ppg on 51 percent shooting in his last year at Kansas and got drafted 10th in one of the best all-around drafts.

[table][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Team[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Player[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]College[/font][/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. LA Clippers[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Michael Olowokandi[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pacific[/font][/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Vancouver[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mike Bibby[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Arizona[/font][/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Denver[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Raef LaFrentz[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kansas[/font][/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Toronto (a)[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Antawn Jamison[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]North Carolina[/font][/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. Golden State (a)[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vince Carter[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]North Carolina[/font][/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Dallas (b)[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Robert Traylor[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Michigan[/font][/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. Sacramento[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jason Williams[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Florida[/font][/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. Philadelphia[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Larry Hughes[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saint Louis[/font][/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. Milwaukee (b)[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dirk Nowitzki[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DJK Wurzburg (Germany)[/font][/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. Boston[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Paul Pierce[/font][/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kansas[/font][/td] [/tr][/table]

He usually rises to the ocassion against the top players:
Dropped 50 on the Cavs last season (LBJ had 43, 12, 11).
Dropped 39 on tv in LA (Bryant had 40).
Dropped 34 on Wade (30) and Shaq (26) last season with a 3 pointer at the end to almost win the game.
Also:
BOSTON -- With Carmelo Anthony on pace for a career night, a team effort kept the Boston Celtics close for three quarters.

But down the stretch, it was time for Paul Pierce to take over.

Pierce scored 36 points, Wally Szczerbiak added 18, and the Celtics snapped the Denver Nuggets' four-game winning streak with a 106-101 victory Sunday night.

Pierce, who has scored at least 30 points in 14 of 16 games, shot 15-of-23 to lead five Celtics in double figures. He also had four assists and three steals to help the Celtics win for the third time in four games and end a three-game losing streak against the Nuggets.

"When you got it going, you got it going," said Pierce, who shot 4-of-6 in the fourth quarter. "I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."

Anthony scored 36 points on 14-of-21 shooting

And:
Paul Pierce scored 38 points and Allen added a career-high 30 to help the Boston Celtics extend their winning streak to four with a 119-114 victory over the Denver Nuggets on Friday night.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/players/playerpage/20626
Anthony scored a season-high 42 for the Nuggets, including 16 in the fourth quarter to keep the game close.

He's clutch:
Game winner against the Nets last season (after NJ led 22-2 in the first quarter).
72786736.jpg

72786738.jpg

Also got Gilbert with a game-winner too:
WASHINGTON -- Paul Pierce knew he was going to take the last shot.

Once again the Celtics forward delivered, hitting a fadeaway 22-footer at the buzzer in overtime to give the Celtics a 116-115 win over the Washington Wizards on Tuesday night.

Career numbers (ten seasons total) of:
23.5, 1.7 spg, 6.5 rpg, 3.9 apg, 36% 3pg, 44% fg, 80% ft

He's durable:
Last season, first time he hasn't played in at least 75 games since 2000.

He has active hands on D:
Always in the top 10 in steals (at least a 5-6 year streak).

He's got good taste in women (showing his active hands in that category as well):

101307celticslh005.JPG

f_PierceGirlfm_73dfa91.png

And even THIS season, Ray Ray and KG are getting all the light.
Yet, PP is the one leading the team in scoring (21.5) on 44% shooting and 40% 3p.
People are almost acting as if Pierce was the one who came over in a trade.
smh.gif

Discuss.

i always had respect for paul pierce.

but am i the only one that thinks he always looks outta shape?
laugh.gif

players that put up numbers for horrible teams dont and never will get respect which they never should. and from his years maken the playoffs everyone justremembers him and walker chucking all game.

Good player?? yes, a superstar?? HELL NO

but he should get respect for what he is doing this year

ESPN might not respect him, but people who follow basketball do. I never want to see him in staples....man is a beast.

he's better then all the players drafted ahead of him

even dirk

becuz dirk aint as clutch as pierce

pierce is the best 4th quater player since jordan

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

player that put up numbers for horrible teams will and never will get respect which they never should. and from his years maken the playoffs everyone just remembers him and walker chucking all game.

Good player?? yes, a superstar?? HELL NO

Exactly.
He's never been a winner. He was a leader of the most talented team in college basketball in 1997, but they were upset by Arizona.
He's always been a guy that scored lots of points and never had any team success. He's a great fantasy player, but he won't get your team anywhere.

He gets ton of respect from me. Other than the players from the Warriors and Pistons, Paul Pierce and Kobe are my favorites. Pierce is a great player, year inand year out he puts up amazing numbers. No one ever notices because all those times his team was losing. Hes been great since arriving in the league but noone shows any love for what he does and has done and its a damn shame. If it wasnt him for being on the Celtics they wouldnt even be where they are right now.

PP has always been underrated, and always will be underrated
smh.gif
he's not aflashy type of player or a media darling. He just goes to work every night.... I mean he was possibly 1 free throw away (Game 4) and 1 game away from leadingthe Celtics into the Finals with Antoine Walker as his second best player... Even though 'Toine was good back then, he was a 3 point chucker
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by OHyeah10

he gets no respect because he is the THIRD best player on his team
smh.gif

he's better than ray allen.
i think he doesnt get any respect b/c he has really no flash in his game.

Originally Posted by Girl thats Jules

even dirk

pimp.gif

So if today in the NBA, there are 3 seconds left in a game, you would choose Pierce over Kobe.
I know how much this board hates Kobe, but Kobe is the most CLUTCH player in the NBA

What are you talking about? He's a beast, you made this post because of something Bill Walton said?
Nah, I made this thread for the misguided.

Example #1:

he gets no respect because he is the THIRD best player on his team
smh.gif

I'll give you KG. But PP has always been a better ALL-AROUND player than Ray.

Example #2:

and from his years maken the playoffs everyone just remembers him and walker chucking all game.
In 01-02, Celtics went 49-33 and lost to NJ in the ECF.
Pierce had the best year of his career that year. 26 ppg 7 rpg 2 spg 44% fg 40% 3p in 82 games.
smh.gif

They made the playoffs in 02-03 and he put up similar stats once again. So I'm not getting the whole "he put up numbers on a losing teamargument".

And Zo, I'll give you that upset against Zona (who was no slouch either as they were the eventual champs I think right?). But I'm dismissing yourcomment about the Celtics never having any team success with Pierce there.

I think it's because most NBA fans haven't seen alot of PP until this year. Sure you can watch his highlights on ESPN but you don't trulyunderstand how talented he is unless you watch him in some games. Now that the Celtics are on TV more you see just how good he is.

I know how much this board hates Kobe, but Kobe is the most CLUTCH player in the NBA
Actually, I know how much this board loves 24... But there was a thread last year listing the best 4th quarter efficiency or "clutch"performers. I'm pretty certain Melo was at the top of the list.

And I listed quite a few clutch shots for Pierce already.

24 does his thing, but he's definitely not the "most clutch". That's another topic though. Let's stick to discussing Pierce.

^ Yes, Melo has a higher percentage than Kobe when it comes to 'clutch shots made/clutch shots attempted'

SHUGES wrote:

And Zo, I'll give you that upset against Zona (who was no slouch either as they were the eventual champs I think right?). But I'm dismissing your comment about the Celtics never having any team success with Pierce there.

Yeah, we were a great team that year, but Kansas had 4 NBA players (all of whom are still in the NBA 11 years later) - Vaughn, Pierce, LaFrentz, andPollard. Miles Simon had an amazing tournament that year, Bibby was on fire, and Dickerson was a really good player...but Kansas was the #1 team that entireyear, and were favored to beat us by everyone. Hell, even I picked Kansas to win in my pool that year, and it was finally the year my Wildcats won.

Pierce is always up there in 4th Quarter PPG, and I THINK he led the league last year.

I think a lot of people disrespect him because of the stabbing incident, which sucks. He didnt do anything to provoke it. He walked in a club, called one ofhis boys "B," and some Crip wannabe took it out on him.

And to answer the question, I have no idea.
laugh.gif

Wizards in DC, and they were down by 1 with 2 or 3 seconds left in OT. he gets the ball, is forced into a tight spot on the baseline all the way near the 3-point line, and he hits this impossible fadeaway over 2 or 3 defenders while fading out of bounds. he hit that shot with Arenas-like swag

pimp.gif

'cuz NOBODY payed this much attention to the Celtics until this year. You would think these 'analysts' would know better but no
indifferent.gif

I love Paul Pierce's game. Always come through on a clutch and knows how to score all around the court. He will be one of the prolific scorer of ourgeneration when it all said and done.

Is he in the team USA roster? He should get the call.

He's a great fantasy player
Yup. He kills it everynight for my fantasy team.

I remember a few years ago there were rumors of the Kings trying to trade for Pierce. I think it was Peja for Pierce or something like that. I was wishing backthen we would do it.

because before this year, the Celtics sucked. And when they were good a few years ago around 2002, he had Walker.

Originally Posted by Girl thats Jules

even dirk

pimp.gif

pass the crackpipe...

Back
Top Bottom