Why doesn't Nike do this.........?

I was thinking when I seen the Jordan XII Flu Game shoe comin out and other Nikes in general that drop, why wouldn't Nike or JB make a service where u canorder any old shoe as long as u had the the product code or style number. Even if they don't have the tools it took to make it then I'm sure they couldreproduce any shoe they ever made wit todays technology. I would drop alot of dough on a few old shoes that aren't available now. Charge me what u wantjust make it pretty close to OG. Like I'm paying you to make this old shoe again just make it close. You know how much money they would make......? I wouldpay Nike $250-$300 for a Air Pippen I white/grey OG air unit and a few other pairs. It just makes sense......IDK. Like a much bigger NikeID but it would costmore and u couldn't pick diff colors u would have to expect the same style/color shoe as the one for the product code or style # shoe u enter in. How hardcan it be for Nike to make a mold the old ones r somewhere I'm sure. They drop old shoes all the time. I'm talkin shoes from the 80's. IDK......

That would be nice, since they slackin on a lot of retros. Hopefully Nike knows that retros are the New Nike. lol. Maybe not another NikeID, but just OGcolorways to keep it simple. But great idea

Originally Posted by got shoes

That would be nice, since they slackin on a lot of retros. Hopefully Nike knows that retros are the New Nike. lol. Maybe not another NikeID, but just OG colorways to keep it simple. But great idea

Yeah not NikeID ..... more like NikeOG

Because Nike knows how to make money the most economical way.

GRs means more shoes to reproduce, and leads to wholesale purchase of raw materials and labor. Which means cheaper materials and labor since Nike is buyingthem by the bulk.

On the other hand, if they reproduce just a single shoe, it would be costly for them and would pass it to the consumer at a much higher, astronomical price.Which is opposite their strategy of selling kicks at retail.

Plus, they want to hype up the retros. A marketing strategy perhaps.

Just my opinion though.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by igotthatfire247

Originally Posted by retr0sxual

Originally Posted by swingshot

This idea has more holes in it than a pair of ECues.
Superb.
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Pretty Much... as good as an idea as its been over the years.....

There is ALOT that goes into production of a present or past shoe. They have entire Factories dedicated to producing a particular shoe. So trying to do alotof one offs would involve keeping a shoe "line" open contantleeee

Not efficient...The factory would charge Nike a grip.

/\/\/\/\/\/\
Word. There are fixed production costs for sourcing materials, facilities, payroll, shipping, etc... For the ease of argument let's say $100,000 per shoeper production run. If NIKE sells fifty shoes through custom orders, you're paying $2,000 per shoe.

would be nice, but as already stated, it's not efficient for nike to do so.

Originally Posted by glitch008

GRs means more shoes to reproduce, and leads to wholesale purchase of raw materials and labor. Which means cheaper materials and labor since Nike is buying them by the bulk.

On the other hand, if they reproduce just a single shoe, it would be costly for them and would pass it to the consumer at a much higher, astronomical price. Which is opposite their strategy of selling kicks at retail.

Just my opinion though.
smile.gif

the reality of capitalism

It is possible for them to do. Them not making a profit means nothing. They drop limited shoes all the time and make close to no money. I meant it could besomething for the people who have been supporting Nike since birth. A way to have those old classics that won't be retroed. Or any shoe u might want. Crazyhow people think it's not possible.

Originally Posted by Swerv1n

It is possible for them to do. Them not making a profit means nothing. They drop limited shoes all the time and make close to no money. I meant it could be something for the people who have been supporting Nike since birth. A way to have those old classics that won't be retroed. Or any shoe u might want. Crazy how people think it's not possible.

Oh, yes, it's absolutely "possible" for Nike to make one-off retros of shoes...

...the same way it's "possible" for me to have a new 1978 Buick Regal built from scratch. You see, I drove one in high school and liked it, butI can't find a nice new one anymore. I'm sure I could find someone to custom build one for me. Of course, all of the molds/dies/components no longerexist, so I'd have to pay someone to custom-bend all of the sheet metal body panels, create a mold to cast a new engine block, machine all of the othervarious engine parts, trim pieces, etc. etc. How much do you suppose my new-retro "1978 Buick Regal" would cost, compared to the OG mass-producedone?

You see where I'm going with this... some people absolutely can and do get custom, one-off cars made, but it's stupendously expensive and difficult. Rock and CWK are on point... it's all about economies of scale.

Say that my new-retro Buick Regal would end up costing a million dollars (not unrealistic!) Even if I was able/willing to spend that kind of money for one,that doesn't mean it's a good business decision for Buick to spend their time/resources on it. And stockholders don't generally agree with youthat "not making a profit means nothing."

So, right now, to make "any old shoe" on demand, on a onesy-twosy basis, is theoretically possible but completelyimpractical.

However, that's not to say it couldn't become somewhat more practical through future innovations... for example, RP (rapid prototyping)technology has come a long way...

I'm not trying to ridicule you here... there's absolutely things I'd love to have re-created from my youth, Nike shoes and otherwise. But therealities of business, product development, manufacturing, and my bank account are such that it's just not likely to happen. So the only way I'mlikely to get back that same Redline 600c BMX bike I loved so much is to find it on eBay...

GRs means more shoes to reproduce, and leads to wholesale purchase of raw materials and labor. Which means cheaper materials and labor since Nike is buying them by the bulk.

On the other hand, if they reproduce just a single shoe, it would be costly for them and would pass it to the consumer at a much higher, astronomical price. Which is opposite their strategy of selling kicks at retail.

Just my opinion though.
smile.gif

That is definitely their thought process.

For example Jordan knows that they can put out XI's at anytime and they will be gobbled up by consumers, so what do they do? They only release it in a"limited" type of release, while they pump out many different models that imitate the jordan XI's aesthetic and sell tremendous quantities ofother models (because of their similarities to the XI model) while maintaining the level at which the demand is for the actual Jordan XI. Since they are abusiness what they want to do is make the most money possible, and in this way, they capitalize and make more money than they could if they just made all theold models available to you whenever you want.

They keep you hooked by not giving you everything you want, so that you stay around fiending for more. And in the end, while all you really want is a JordanXI, you look in your closet and you see that you have a couple pairs of Sharkleys and every colorway of the Six Rings model... and guess what... when blackfriday comes around you will be camping out like a homeless person trying to cop the only pair you really want, which is an XI. Nike does this with all of itsclassic models. They are the monopoly, they have so many classic models that they could retro at anytime, and they know that, so they use that power they haveover you to make you cough up the most money they can get you to cough up.

If they were to make any shoe they ever put out available at any time (which is completely unrealistic), then you would not buy any other shoes except thoseclassics that you want, and once you have the classics that you want you wouldn't cop any of the knock-offs that nike is putting out, so they make lessmoney that way.

Originally Posted by Genius44

Just my opinion though.
smile.gif

and once you have the classics that you want you wouldn't cop any of the knock-offs that nike is putting out, so they make less money that way.

I would buy those too.....why not? But i see what u guys is saying. Some companies you can get old items. I called Oakley a few months ago cause i found theblack box with the silk bag the glasses come in. I lost the glasses and told the lady the numbers on the box and ordered me a pair. I lost those e-wires inlike 98 !!!! Now thats service. Companies like Nike should follow suit.

That would be a great idea but the price of the shoe would be crazy I would say more of a Bespoke price which is 850+

but like others have said...
production fees and the way factories are run
definitely wouldnt allow for something like this
to ever run/ even be made

Originally Posted by Beasly151

That would be a great idea but the price of the shoe would be crazy I would say more of a Bespoke price which is 850+
That was what i was thinking.

Back
Top Bottom