Why is Air Max Bubble Smaller on Retros?

I do mis BWs that actually do have big windows though. Where's the big window gone dammit!!!??

Originally Posted by s dubl

2wpt27d.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by jfeezy

Originally Posted by SneakerPimp2k8

s t f u , you cant believe everything you read and I think it had more to do than with just the "environment"

So, "Pimp", please clarify for me: are you saying you have done actual research on this issue? (I'll go out on a limb and guess "no".)

Please start with the BusinessWeek article from 2006. Maybe "Nike Air Technology Explained". Read the actual patents. Then follow up with my posts here and here.

Then I invite you to--please--return and enlighten us all, poking (metaphorical) holes in these stories of fact with your devastating logic. If you can, I'll gladly "s t f u". If not, please stop running your mouth and keeping this ridiculous hypothesis alive... yes, you can't believe everything you read, and I'll start with you--if you have nothing to back up your "it's not about the environment, Nike's just being cheap" statements.

Finally, an obligatory cut-and-paste for the record:
As I said in my first post on this subject:
- Yes, if you can't read between the lines,
obviously I've been closely involved in this whole effort. For seven of my ten years at Nike, as a matter of fact.
- I'm speaking for myself, not as any sort of official spokesperson.
- I post about it because I care about it, and worked my #%% off about it.
- I love my job. Love my job. The thought of ever losing my dream job makes me physically ill. Having said that, anyone involved with Nike footwear creation could probably figure out who I am in about five minutes, for those who didn't know already. And if I was out here spreading secrets or misinformation, well, that would probably get me canned. So I would never, ever stick my neck out on NT with anything other than solid truth. Or spilling secrets on future stuff, so don't even try.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by ESAEWEDEYE

I DON'T THINK THAT IT MAKES THAT MUCH A DIFFERENCE. WONDERING IF PPL CAN PUT ON BIG BUBBLE 95 AND TELL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SMALL BUBBLE 95 PROBABLY NOT. UNLESS YOU GOT RALPH TRESVANT FEET. HERE'S SOME BUBBLE COMPARISON PICS FOR YA. PEACE

1st - the one all the way on the right, and the one all the way on the left are the OG big bubbles......i know my air bubbles

2nd - we all know it ain't that serious....BUT we wish we could have em back

3rd - i have passed on shoes because the air bubbles weren't big enough

4th - nike still trippin because the shoes seem to be made for big bubbles, but the new bubbles don't fill out where the bubbles go.

5th - nike can make em big.....they trippin

Originally Posted by s dubl

Its been like this for a few years now. I'm not 100% on the exact reason, but I remember someone saying it has something to do with the environment. The type of gas used in the bigger units was bad for the ozone if it was popped.

Correct me if I'm wrong......
pretty much what it is. If you read the sole collectors mag. with penny on it. on pages 61-63 around there. It talked about how it is hard to makea retro exactly the same way as the original, due to the environmental issues it had.

This is what i dont get:

All we want is OG size windows in the air unit.

Nothing ive read about the envioromental issues seems to prevent this.

All they need to do is increase the surface area of the clear air window on the unit or the overall unit size.

There fore the unit will be larger and they'll put more gas in it.

The gas type/molecules remain the same therefor cannot escape the unit

The material it's made of remains the same, just more surface area which equals a larger window, larger appearance.

Done.

Am i wrong?

Cos i'm not exactly Einstein.
embarassed.gif

I honestly don't think its a big deal. I just think its something else for female niketalkers to %%!#* about.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Modzzilla

This is what i dont get:

All they need to do is increase the surface area of the clear air window on the unit or the overall unit size.

The material it's made of remains the same, just more surface area which equals a larger window, larger appearance.

Done.

Am i wrong?

embarassed.gif

If you read some of the links in J Freezy's post you'll understand.

its actually pretty interesting.

Quote:I honestly don't think its a big deal. I just think its something else for female niketalkers to %%!#* about. Ummm Last time i checked its called anike air MAX not air LITTLE. It was part of the original design, and a lot of the earlier fakes of the am 95 had smaller units which leaves a sour taste. Therehave been some good color combo's dropping from nike ill give them that but the midsole looks so jacked it takes away from what made the shoe special. Idmuch rather hunt for a pre-2004 retro in these than buy a new set, but thats just me.

I know they were trying to reduce how much the bubble stuck out of the shoe to reduce penetrating the bubble and destroying the shoe...maybe thats why they aresmaller but man the Griffeys are soooooo small compared to the OG its crazy.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

This is what i dont get:

Done.

Am i wrong?

embarassed.gif

I did, i dont get it.

Please explain from those links how you beg to differ.

This is what i dont get:

Done.

Am i wrong?

embarassed.gif

My thoughts exactly. I understand the reasoning for the new air units. But I don't understand why with all this money and ability to research and create,Nike can't just make them bigger. Same build and make up--just bigger. Tweak the current manufacturing so they can be bigger. It sounds easy, but myguess is that it really isn't. Still though, they can at least try.

This is what i dont get:

Done.

Am i wrong?

embarassed.gif

I did, i dont get it.

truthfully im not even sure the info is in the provided links, but ill do my best to share the info i know cause this is like the 7th time this thread has beenmade.

OG air max's were filled with a toxic gas that depleted the ozone. (nike does care about the environment) but what made the og gas used so unique is thatthe actual air molecules used are big which didnt allow for it to escape the "air bag." YOU CANNOT fill up the air bag with just any type of aircause the air will seep sp? out. (plastic has lil holes in it).

To combat the problem of using a toxic gas, Nike had to search for a new gas to use. Nitrogen. Well nitrogen's air molecules are much smaller than the oggas, and seeped out of the og air bags...So nike had to make a new air bag that is Many many layers thick that does not allow for this air to escape and doesnot allow for the curved bodacious (lol) bubbles we were use to. (NOT wanting to type anymore) but NIke had to redo every retro to account for the new air bagand in result the air bags got smaller and thicker.

Blah blah, the bubbles got smaller. I hate it, so does everyone else. I hope i didnt waste my time typing. Ima slow typer.

Edit: why didnt Nike just make the bubbles bigger like you and i want? i dont know, prolly cause its really difficult. but if you see some of the more currentretros (not all) they are getting a lil bigger
smokin.gif

heres what I dont understand. maybe someone has an answer. let me try to explain this. A sz 13 shoe obviously has larger PROPORTIONS of everything, compared toa sz 9 or 10. Everything seemingly works its way up or down in proporition when looking at different sizes. Are AIR BUBBLES different sizes as well for eachshoe size? Why not take a larger size 13 AIR BUBBLE and throw that onto a sz 9 shoe. The proportionally larger bubble would be on the proportionally smallerupper and midsole creating a bigger bubble.

unless im totally off here, a SZ 9 nike air max looks 100% in proportion with a sz13 air max. IF infact sz9s and sz13s used the same bubble size, wouldnt thesz13s look extra small with a proportionally smaller bubble to a larger scaled upper? thats not the case though. everything is in proportion

sz13 bubbles need to be on EVERY SHOE. I dont get it. I guess its a money issue involving the molds. Each size would have a unique midsole composition.Equalized proporitions are thrown out of the picture..

sad times

This is what i dont get:

Done.

Am i wrong?

embarassed.gif

I did, i dont get it.

truthfully im not even sure the info is in the provided links, but ill do my best to share the info i know cause this is like the 7th time this thread has been made.

OG air max's were filled with a toxic gas that depleted the ozone. (nike does care about the environment) but what made the og gas used so unique is that the actual air molecules used are big which didnt allow for it to escape the "air bag." YOU CANNOT fill up the air bag with just any type of air cause the air will seep sp? out. (plastic has lil holes in it).

To combat the problem of using a toxic gas, Nike had to search for a new gas to use. Nitrogen. Well nitrogen's air molecules are much smaller than the og gas, and seeped out of the og air bags...So nike had to make a new air bag that is Many many layers thick that does not allow for this air to escape and does not allow for the curved bodacious (lol) bubbles we were use to. (NOT wanting to type anymore) but NIke had to redo every retro to account for the new air bag and in result the air bags got smaller and thicker.

Blah blah, the bubbles got smaller. I hate it, so does everyone else. I hope i didnt waste my time typing. Ima slow typer.

Edit: why didnt Nike just make the bubbles bigger like you and i want? i dont know, prolly cause its really difficult. but if you see some of the more current retros (not all) they are getting a lil bigger
smokin.gif
So when you said i need to read the link i already read to understand, what you actually meant was that youdont understand. I see.

I ask again, use the same material and gas, make the surface area of the window larger while retaining a similar overallunit size.

Done.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

heres what I dont understand. maybe someone has an answer. let me try to explain this. A sz 13 shoe obviously has larger PROPORTIONS of everything, compared to a sz 9 or 10. Everything seemingly works its way up or down in proporition when looking at different sizes. Are AIR BUBBLES different sizes as well for each shoe size? Why not take a larger size 13 AIR BUBBLE and throw that onto a sz 9 shoe. The proportionally larger bubble would be on the proportionally smaller upper and midsole creating a bigger bubble.

unless im totally off here, a SZ 9 nike air max looks 100% in proportion with a sz13 air max. IF infact sz9s and sz13s used the same bubble size, wouldnt the sz13s look extra small with a proportionally smaller bubble to a larger scaled upper? thats not the case though. everything is in proportion

sz13 bubbles need to be on EVERY SHOE. I dont get it. I guess its a money issue involving the molds. Each size would have a unique midsole composition. Equalized proporitions are thrown out of the picture..

sad times
You're thinking along the same line as me, it's obviously possible.

^ I think at this point it IS a money issue. There is no good reason that a larger air unit couldn't be made with the same materials and thickness. Wouldit cost more money? Of course. But until someone can explain why they can't make them bigger, I gotta believe its about the money. Blah, blah,blah....yeah, the process of making the new units is different, hence you get different results. I say tweak those new processes and manufacture a biggerproduct. It can't be THAT difficult.

People don't have a problem with the thickness and new gases used in the new air units. We have a problem with the size.

Back
Top Bottom