Why is Air Max Bubble Smaller on Retros?

Originally Posted by jfeezy

Originally Posted by SneakerPimp2k8

s t f u , you cant believe everything you read and I think it had more to do than with just the "environment"

So, "Pimp", please clarify for me: are you saying you have done actual research on this issue? (I'll go out on a limb and guess "no".)

Please start with the BusinessWeek article from 2006. Maybe "Nike Air Technology Explained". Read the actual patents. Then follow up with my posts here and here.

Then I invite you to--please--return and enlighten us all, poking (metaphorical) holes in these stories of fact with your devastating logic. If you can, I'll gladly "s t f u". If not, please stop running your mouth and keeping this ridiculous hypothesis alive... yes, you can't believe everything you read, and I'll start with you--if you have nothing to back up your "it's not about the environment, Nike's just being cheap" statements.

Finally, an obligatory cut-and-paste for the record:
As I said in my first post on this subject:
- Yes, if you can't read between the lines,
obviously I've been closely involved in this whole effort. For seven of my ten years at Nike, as a matter of fact.
- I'm speaking for myself, not as any sort of official spokesperson.
- I post about it because I care about it, and worked my #%% off about it.
- I love my job. Love my job. The thought of ever losing my dream job makes me physically ill. Having said that, anyone involved with Nike footwear creation could probably figure out who I am in about five minutes, for those who didn't know already. And if I was out here spreading secrets or misinformation, well, that would probably get me canned. So I would never, ever stick my neck out on NT with anything other than solid truth. Or spilling secrets on future stuff, so don't even try.
wink.gif
I'm not an Air Max head, but I appreciate your posts. I've been on NT for a while and the size of the Air units (bubbles) has been acontroversy for as long as I can remember. I went back and read your main post and although I do prefer the aesthetic of the OG Air units, I'm happy Nikemade the change to more environmentally sound and durable ones. Clearly it has nothing to do with cutting costs.

Now the real question is, why has Nike gone away from using thicker, softer leather on their sneakers if not to save money?

Originally Posted by Modzzilla

Originally Posted by jthagreat

This is what i dont get:

All we want is OG size windows in the air unit.

Nothing ive read about the envioromental issues seems to prevent this.

All they need to do is increase the surface area of the clear air window on the unit or the overall unit size.

There fore the unit will be larger and they'll put more gas in it.

The gas type/molecules remain the same therefor cannot escape the unit

The material it's made of remains the same, just more surface area which equals a larger window, larger appearance.

Done.

Am i wrong?

Cos i'm not exactly Einstein.
embarassed.gif

If you read some of the links in J Freezy's post you'll understand.

its actually pretty interesting.
I did, i dont get it.

Please explain from those links how you beg to differ.

truthfully im not even sure the info is in the provided links, but ill do my best to share the info i know cause this is like the 7th time this thread has been made.

OG air max's were filled with a toxic gas that depleted the ozone. (nike does care about the environment) but what made the og gas used so unique is that the actual air molecules used are big which didnt allow for it to escape the "air bag." YOU CANNOT fill up the air bag with just any type of air cause the air will seep sp? out. (plastic has lil holes in it).

To combat the problem of using a toxic gas, Nike had to search for a new gas to use. Nitrogen. Well nitrogen's air molecules are much smaller than the og gas, and seeped out of the og air bags...So nike had to make a new air bag that is Many many layers thick that does not allow for this air to escape and does not allow for the curved bodacious (lol) bubbles we were use to. (NOT wanting to type anymore) but NIke had to redo every retro to account for the new air bag and in result the air bags got smaller and thicker.

Blah blah, the bubbles got smaller. I hate it, so does everyone else. I hope i didnt waste my time typing. Ima slow typer.

Edit: why didnt Nike just make the bubbles bigger like you and i want? i dont know, prolly cause its really difficult. but if you see some of the more current retros (not all) they are getting a lil bigger
smokin.gif
So when you said i need to read the link i already read to understand, what you actually meant was that you dont understand. I see.

I ask again, use the same material and gas, make the surface area of the window larger while retaining a similar overall unit size.

Done.
Dont take it so personal, when i originally read your post, i thought you didnt understand the reason for the change.

This is what i dont get:

All we want is OG size windows in the air unit.

Nothing ive read about the envioromental issues seems to prevent this.

All they need to do is increase the surface area of the clear air window on the unit or the overall unit size.

There fore the unit will be larger and they'll put more gas in it.

The gas type/molecules remain the same therefor cannot escape the unit

The material it's made of remains the same, just more surface area which equals a larger window, larger appearance.

Done.

Am i wrong?

Cos i'm not exactly Einstein.
embarassed.gif

If you read some of the links in J Freezy's post you'll understand.

its actually pretty interesting.
I did, i dont get it.

Please explain from those links how you beg to differ.

truthfully im not even sure the info is in the provided links, but ill do my best to share the info i know cause this is like the 7th time this thread has been made.

OG air max's were filled with a toxic gas that depleted the ozone. (nike does care about the environment) but what made the og gas used so unique is that the actual air molecules used are big which didnt allow for it to escape the "air bag." YOU CANNOT fill up the air bag with just any type of air cause the air will seep sp? out. (plastic has lil holes in it).

To combat the problem of using a toxic gas, Nike had to search for a new gas to use. Nitrogen. Well nitrogen's air molecules are much smaller than the og gas, and seeped out of the og air bags...So nike had to make a new air bag that is Many many layers thick that does not allow for this air to escape and does not allow for the curved bodacious (lol) bubbles we were use to. (NOT wanting to type anymore) but NIke had to redo every retro to account for the new air bag and in result the air bags got smaller and thicker.

Blah blah, the bubbles got smaller. I hate it, so does everyone else. I hope i didnt waste my time typing. Ima slow typer.

Edit: why didnt Nike just make the bubbles bigger like you and i want? i dont know, prolly cause its really difficult. but if you see some of the more current retros (not all) they are getting a lil bigger
smokin.gif
So when you said i need to read the link i already read to understand, what you actually meant was that you dont understand. I see.

I ask again, use the same material and gas, make the surface area of the window larger while retaining a similar overall unit size.

Done.
Dont take it so personal, when i originally read your post, i thought you didnt understand the reason for the change.

To assume make an.....

Originally Posted by jfeezy

Originally Posted by SneakerPimp2k8

s t f u , you cant believe everything you read and I think it had more to do than with just the "environment"

So, "Pimp", please clarify for me: are you saying you have done actual research on this issue? (I'll go out on a limb and guess "no".)

Please start with the BusinessWeek article from 2006. Maybe "Nike Air Technology Explained". Read the actual patents. Then follow up with my posts here and here.

Then I invite you to--please--return and enlighten us all, poking (metaphorical) holes in these stories of fact with your devastating logic. If you can, I'll gladly "s t f u". If not, please stop running your mouth and keeping this ridiculous hypothesis alive... yes, you can't believe everything you read, and I'll start with you--if you have nothing to back up your "it's not about the environment, Nike's just being cheap" statements.

Finally, an obligatory cut-and-paste for the record:
As I said in my first post on this subject:
- Yes, if you can't read between the lines,
obviously I've been closely involved in this whole effort. For seven of my ten years at Nike, as a matter of fact.
- I'm speaking for myself, not as any sort of official spokesperson.
- I post about it because I care about it, and worked my #%% off about it.
- I love my job. Love my job. The thought of ever losing my dream job makes me physically ill. Having said that, anyone involved with Nike footwear creation could probably figure out who I am in about five minutes, for those who didn't know already. And if I was out here spreading secrets or misinformation, well, that would probably get me canned. So I would never, ever stick my neck out on NT with anything other than solid truth. Or spilling secrets on future stuff, so don't even try.
wink.gif

you went really hard with your response but its okay. Call me ignorant if you like but this has more to do with the environment, and lets not limit this tojust the air bubbles, lets expand this to midsoles, cheap leather, customers sneakers chipping/cracking and all other aspects we have been dealing with when ithas come to retros. I'm not reading into to "Nike going green" because I'm sure they could find another way to stuff those bubbles if theychose to. They have been cutting costs all around. You continue being the sneaker scientist you are, at the end of the day when a sneaker hasn't beenreleased in 10-15 years and its a childhood favorite, I'm copping. I'm not gonna pass them up because of a small air bubble....isn't like Im gonnabe hitting the track with them anyway.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by sneakermane

Don't really care about the size of an air bubble. Doesn't make or break a shoe in my opinion.

U ALREADY!!!
yes it does. its like people not buying jordans because they dont say nike air on the back.

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

has nothing to do with the environment so please kill that speculation.
In sole magazine issue 25 the designers of the 1/2 cent say that air bubbles in retro's are smaller because Nike now uses environmentallyfriendly gas, which requires them to modify the shape of the air bubbles. If you don't believe me check it out its on pg 64 1st paragraph
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Tommy Gibbs

In sole magazine issue 25 the designers of the 1/2 cent say that air bubbles in retro's are smaller because Nike now uses environmentally friendly gas, which requires them to modify the shape of the air bubbles. If you don't believe me check it out its on pg 64 1st paragraph
pimp.gif
You need to start reading threads before commenting.
eyes.gif

So why do you think you're more right than actual Nike employees?

You have proof they are trying to cover their ___?

The gaseous makeup of the "air" in the bubble and the size of the bubble are two entirely different things. If they can modify the air unit and makeit smaller, why can't they modify it to make it bigger?
The gas would still be the same. The makeup of the bubble itself would be the same. The only difference would be the size. I've yet to hear an answer onwhy it can't be done. Having earth-friendly gases has nothing to do with the size of the air unit--just the makeup of the plastic bubble.

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

The gaseous makeup of the "air" in the bubble and the size of the bubble are two entirely different things. If they can modify the air unit and make it smaller, why can't they modify it to make it bigger?
The gas would still be the same. The makeup of the bubble itself would be the same. The only difference would be the size. I've yet to hear an answer on why it can't be done. Having earth-friendly gases has nothing to do with the size of the air unit--just the makeup of the plastic bubble.
They say in that sole article (issue 25 pg 64) that the size of the bubble isn't smaller. rather the shape is different. SO rather thanseeing the seam in the center busting out, the seam is moved to the top or the bottom. If you look at a pair of OGs and retro's you will notice on themost current retro's there is no center seam. This is all in line with the use of the enviornmental gas. This is all I got to say, cause that is all theyahd to say in the article. If you all don't like that, then go apply to work at Nike, figure it out and tell us.

Originally Posted by Tommy Gibbs

In sole magazine issue 25 the designers of the 1/2 cent say that air bubbles in retro's are smaller because Nike now uses environmentally friendly gas, which requires them to modify the shape of the air bubbles. If you don't believe me check it out its on pg 64 1st paragraph
pimp.gif
You need to start reading threads before commenting.
eyes.gif

Maybe I would if your website thread could produce something, instead it tells me its a broken link. So next time you want to criticize me for not readingyour thread make sure you don't commit an epic fail by posting a site we can't read, instead of claiming there is no comeback to yournonesense
roll.gif
.Further more, you're getting info from articlesinterviewing Nike designers and that still isn't good enough for you. If anyone should read a thread before commenting it ought to be you.

Hey guys,
At first it was my imagination but after comparing pics of the OG Nike Pippen and the new Retros it is CLEAR that the originals had big Air Max units.I also checked the Air More Uptempo and same situation. What the hell happened? Is there a reason why the Air Max units are reduced? Any info/heads up would bemuch appreciated.

I know this is an old thread but I did contact Nike and they said many people have asked the same question and they are working on it. The more people that say something to Nike the more likely they will bring back the big air pocket. They have the technology its just a matter of demand. Im with all you on the fact that the shoe just isn't the same now with the small air pockets.

I know this is an old thread but I did contact Nike and they said many people have asked the same question and they are working on it. The more people that say something to Nike the more likely they will bring back the big air pocket. They have the technology its just a matter of demand. Im with all you on the fact that the shoe just isn't the same now with the small air pockets.
They just need to use nitrogen is what i got from all this.

The ironic part is Nike's incompetence allows the cycle to continue and profits to climb when they re-release all of these soon as "True OG" and get the bubbles correct.

p_14581141_151839071_8209576.jpg

Nike-Air-Max-Uptempo-95-White-Amarillo-Court-Purple-CK0892-102-Release-Date.jpg

Back
Top Bottom