Why Is Reverse Parking Illegal?

Real talk, a long time ago I read on NT that real dudes back in to their spots.

Been backing in ever since....

Last edited:
Why exactly is that a law in the 1st place?

I don't see anything wrong w/ it. :lol:

*shrugs*

Every time the car in front of me overshoots the spot just to back in, I always want to just swipe the spot from him just to show how dumb/inconsiderate it is to make the person behind you wait for you to back in unnecessarily.

I believe Oh Pee is talmbout perpendicular parking. Say the street runs East West and parking would be NS. Its illegal to back into those spots because you have to go in reverse on the street to do so. They intend for ppl to just drive in the parks, alleviating traffic that might get backed up waiting on some gump taking all day to parallel park.
Real talk, a long time ago I read on NT that real dudes back in to their spots.

Been backing in ever since....
Back it up papi
:lol:
You should never pull in nose first cuz if them boys jump out on you youre stuck. If you back in you can stab out quick

I believe Oh Pee is talmbout perpendicular parking. Say the street runs East West and parking would be NS. Its illegal to back into those spots because you have to go in reverse on the street to do so. They intend for ppl to just drive in the parks, alleviating traffic that might get backed up waiting on some gump taking all day to parallel park.
You should never pull in nose first cuz if them boys jump out on you youre stuck. If you back in you can stab out quick

Finally some clarity. That makes perfect sense to me.

Usually it's only that way in lots that require a permit so they can easily scan over the lot. DD do it as well so they can smash out quick if something gets hot

Never heard of it, understandable if it's a slanted spot on slanted one-way lane in a parking lot. Maybe they're trying to discourage speeding off as a lot of people would.

I definite park in reverse as well. Makes exiting much easier.

Got used to it after having a truck for a while

But isn't backing into a parking spot harder as well? Like, a parking spot is a narrow space. Seems harder to line that up than it is to back out of spot.

I know you gotta look out for traffic, but if you're in a truck, can't you usually see over cars parked next to you?

What part of CA are you in op? I've never heard of this before. I often back onto spots, and have never gotten anything.

I'm in So.Cali, not sure if all college campuses have this enforced, but parking in reverse is illegal at my school. My very first day I parked like this and got a ticket. :smh:

Last edited:
i can confirm this,

even here in NorCal

there are spots i think mostly college campuses where they will ticket you if you back into a spot. havn't seen it in other lots other than schools though.

We have certain streets here where you have to back in park too, I do it everywhere I go to make leaving easier 

My old neighborhood tried to enforce this. It was a condominium gated community. The HOA tried enforcing this!

My brother in law didn't give any dambs and did it anyway. Came back out side with a note on his windshield that said "follow the rules, visitor"

That pissed my whole family off.... So they all brought their cars (like 20 cars) and reversed in all the parking spaces.

They tried calling the tow company... They all waited until the trucks arrived. Ran into their cars and drove off! :lol:

My neighborhood has parallel and angled parking. All the angle parking spots are reverse in only. I occasionally see a car with its front in and figure a) it's a visitor and b) they'll be seeing a ticket real soon. The alternate side signs all have the ruling beneath them as well.

Finally some clarity. That makes perfect sense to me.

But wouldnt you back up traffic the same amount coming out of the spot as apposed to just driving out

This must be an American / State specific thing as over here you park how you want.
Front in / front out in bays (even the slanted ones in some supermarkets you can reverse in if you want, not sure why you would though)
Parallel parking again you can face either way (like if you see a space on the other side of the road to you and it is clear there is nothing stopping you parking there..

If they tried to introduce a rule like this here there would be complete uproar and it would never get passed.

My old neighborhood tried to enforce this. It was a condominium gated community. The HOA tried enforcing this!

My brother in law didn't give any dambs and did it anyway. Came back out side with a note on his windshield that said "follow the rules, visitor"

That pissed my whole family off.... So they all brought their cars (like 20 cars) and reversed in all the parking spaces.

They tried calling the tow company... They all waited until the trucks arrived. Ran into their cars and drove off! :lol:

:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom