Why is the gov't doing so little to end rape in prisons?

[h2]http://reason.com/archives/2011/06/20/rape-factories[/h2]
[h2]Rape Factories[/h2][h3]Why is the government doing so little to end sexual assault in prisons?[/h3]
Lovisa Stannow from the July 2011 issue

In 1984 the photographer Tom Cahill smashed a plate-glass doorin a fit of fury at the San Francisco Chronicle. He hadjust unsuccessfully attempted to get the paper’s reporters to writeabout rape in America’s jails and prisons. Cahill was a desperateman at the time, tormented by flashbacks and nightmares, hispersonal and professional life in ruins.

Cahill’s story began in 1968, when he was arrested in Texasduring a peaceful antiwar protest. An Air Force vet who opposed theVietnam War, he did not prove popular among jail staff in theheavily military town of San Antonio. Before placing him in anovercrowded communal cell, he says, the guards spread word that hewas a child molester. Cahill remembers with a shudder how one ofthe staff members shouted “fresh meat

[h2]http://reason.com/archives/2011/06/20/rape-factories[/h2]
[h2]Rape Factories[/h2][h3]Why is the government doing so little to end sexual assault in prisons?[/h3]
Lovisa Stannow from the July 2011 issue

In 1984 the photographer Tom Cahill smashed a plate-glass doorin a fit of fury at the San Francisco Chronicle. He hadjust unsuccessfully attempted to get the paper’s reporters to writeabout rape in America’s jails and prisons. Cahill was a desperateman at the time, tormented by flashbacks and nightmares, hispersonal and professional life in ruins.

Cahill’s story began in 1968, when he was arrested in Texasduring a peaceful antiwar protest. An Air Force vet who opposed theVietnam War, he did not prove popular among jail staff in theheavily military town of San Antonio. Before placing him in anovercrowded communal cell, he says, the guards spread word that hewas a child molester. Cahill remembers with a shudder how one ofthe staff members shouted “fresh meat

When your speaking on a government issue it usually can be solved with one word............. MONEY

When your speaking on a government issue it usually can be solved with one word............. MONEY

Poor dude experienced 24 hour gang rape? For participating in a non violent protest? S m h

Pretty much the only reason I never think about doing anything that would put me in prison. I would prob off myself

Poor dude experienced 24 hour gang rape? For participating in a non violent protest? S m h

Pretty much the only reason I never think about doing anything that would put me in prison. I would prob off myself

They probably see the raping as a secondary source for punishment.

They probably see the raping as a secondary source for punishment.

no1 told u to commit a crime, no one told you to get caught.
rape is just an additional punishment.
either don't take a shower or use liquid soap. if u drop it, kneel don't bend over. best strategy essentially.

no1 told u to commit a crime, no one told you to get caught.
rape is just an additional punishment.
either don't take a shower or use liquid soap. if u drop it, kneel don't bend over. best strategy essentially.

I don't get it man.  Why do dudes even do it?  I can understand a gay man raping another dude. But all this "I'm straight because I'm on top" and "its about power not sex" is garbage.  I really don't see how dudes are so pressed for a warm hole they turn to other men. 

I don't get it man.  Why do dudes even do it?  I can understand a gay man raping another dude. But all this "I'm straight because I'm on top" and "its about power not sex" is garbage.  I really don't see how dudes are so pressed for a warm hole they turn to other men. 

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

I don't get it man.  Why do dudes even do it?  I can understand a gay man raping another dude. But all this "I'm straight because I'm on top" and "its about power not sex" is garbage.  I really do see how dudes are so pressed for a warm hole they turn to other men. 
Prisons are homosocial hotspots like the Navy and 19th century adventurers.

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

I don't get it man.  Why do dudes even do it?  I can understand a gay man raping another dude. But all this "I'm straight because I'm on top" and "its about power not sex" is garbage.  I really do see how dudes are so pressed for a warm hole they turn to other men. 
Prisons are homosocial hotspots like the Navy and 19th century adventurers.

I don't think this occurs as much as it did back then. Could be wrong though.

I don't think this occurs as much as it did back then. Could be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom