Why the shoe game is dying…?

Originally Posted by LaceLocka

The OG heads are growing out of the scene and unfortunately we have the newest generation that doesn't have the background on a lot of what's going down right now...they do what they are told which is to buy the newest anything out. They are the accelerated version of what a lot of us were going through in 1999-2005 hype wise. Jordan brand had on thing right....they determined if people are willing to buy fakes with lesser quality....if they made a lot more production of their more coveted models in these "alternated" colorways they would make more money....thus where we are today
I have to quote you, because you're speaking the truth !

I can also make a bold statement saying that neither Nike/Jordan Brand OR sneakerheads know where this is going.  This is such a HUGE evolution that we only see certain segment of it at a time.  What triggered the "accelerated version" and hype of shoes was the internet, mainly Niketalk, blogs and ebay.  This was like a movement where OG collectors made a huge contribution. 

If you read old Slam magazines and KICKS, when selling shoes on ebay was just starting (and yes there are articles on this).  It was a trend when honest people discovered 1985 Jordan's and listed them on ebay without discovering their true value.  People caught on and starting listing OG XI from 1995 so on and so forth.  Nike saw this and capitalized in people who were still interested in their older models, to say hey we can re-issue old shoes, hence retros became hot.  So instead of each new owner making a small profit from the SAME circulating pair of OG's, Nike decided to saturate the market with their own stuff.  This became so boring to the point that it forced real collectors to 'leave' because "the brand isn't the same anymore"

There's no substance behind the brand anymore, everything is built on hype and these "unveiling" launches.  Sneakerheads grew smarter, we know the lifecycle of shoes from production to outlet; when to shop, at which sites; where to get discounts and share outlet information. 

Like you already know some lucky few will find the Cool Grey XI at Nike outlets.  B-grades or whatever, for $90+ as long as you have them, you don't really care.  (See what happened with CDP XI and SJ XI)

Mind you, retros are only a copy of the original thing, but people are willing to wait in line and camp out in the cold; and select accounts are willing to hold midnight releases- what does this tell Nike?

Nike doesn't even know what is 'hot' anymore, they can't even design the next Jordan properly, but one thing's for sure retros that resemble the 3's (cement/elephant print), 11's (patent leather), 13's (silhouette) will sell.  So aside from re-re-re-releasing these shoes again, they fuse it up with something else.  Because they don't know where this is going...

I remember when I used to think Jordan Brand was exclusive and high quality.
remember that first commercial of mike running through the streets in a suit?  

I remember when I used to think Jordan Brand was exclusive and high quality.
remember that first commercial of mike running through the streets in a suit?  

No offense but these marketing gurus of these billion dollar corps know what they are doing.
Kids aren't complaining about quality because they never experienced that "quality" that you speak of.
They see it as this is hot, I will buy. NOT Man this shoe's toe box is ugly or the shape is gross.

JB/Nike are smart because no matter what they put out people will buy with the name jordan on it.
Ex. Fusions (who wants a pair of morphed together af1/jordans)
Ex. CDP
Hip hop is dead?

Shoe game is dead?

No offense but these marketing gurus of these billion dollar corps know what they are doing.
Kids aren't complaining about quality because they never experienced that "quality" that you speak of.
They see it as this is hot, I will buy. NOT Man this shoe's toe box is ugly or the shape is gross.

JB/Nike are smart because no matter what they put out people will buy with the name jordan on it.
Ex. Fusions (who wants a pair of morphed together af1/jordans)
Ex. CDP
Hip hop is dead?

Shoe game is dead?

Just because the game changes or doesnt stay exactly the same doesnt mean its dead. OLD HEADS always hate the new tactics new school cats bring to da game. if homie wants to flip the pair he gets let him do it why does it matter. the shoe game is not dead its just different

Just because the game changes or doesnt stay exactly the same doesnt mean its dead. OLD HEADS always hate the new tactics new school cats bring to da game. if homie wants to flip the pair he gets let him do it why does it matter. the shoe game is not dead its just different

I wish it would die, that way I can have the shoes to myself.  To many doing it cuz "its cool". I just want to enjoy the same kicks Ive always had, without EVERYBODY wanting them.

I wish it would die, that way I can have the shoes to myself.  To many doing it cuz "its cool". I just want to enjoy the same kicks Ive always had, without EVERYBODY wanting them.

Originally Posted by Midwest23

This. 
Plus

Honestly, when I was younger I was broke. I was poor. I couldn't even afford ONE pair of Jordan's. I remember wanting Flint XIII's when they first dropped for my 8th grade graduation present, and not knowing that they would sell out. So I got the white Pippen's with the red check instead. It stung given the fact that I just loved the show. My first Jay's were the all white XIV's and I adored them. I didnt get J's because I couldnt afford them to begin with. 

So all these "old sneakerheads" people speak of clearly were privileged to be able to afford these sneakers to begin with. I wasnt able to start buying Jordan's on a monthly basis until HS (because i had my own job), and by that time the golden era of 1999-2002 retros was over. So I don't understand who in their right mind would criticize anyone who is seeking these retros given the fact that they missed the original sneaker. 

I've been able to go back and cop generally ds jordans that I really appreciated because I have a career where I have a consistent salary, but I'd be damned if I get at someone for trying to get something they like at a price that's affordable to him.

The only reason things are changing is because:

1.) People look at it as a "shoe game".

2.) Resellers make it more difficult to cop shoes you want (but hey I cant knock another mans hustle)

3.) Older heads want to be all cranky because some sneakers that they have might depreciate in value due to over-saturation.

and lastly because people want to cop because a shoe is hyped. 

Buy what you like. Altitudes pass. White and red XIII's pass. For me personally. Buy what you like. I consider these sneakers art, and connect them to points in time in my life. Sneaker culture will never die as long as people appreciate what a sneaker is about and the beauty that it holds. Quality or not. 

Originally Posted by Midwest23

This. 
Plus

Honestly, when I was younger I was broke. I was poor. I couldn't even afford ONE pair of Jordan's. I remember wanting Flint XIII's when they first dropped for my 8th grade graduation present, and not knowing that they would sell out. So I got the white Pippen's with the red check instead. It stung given the fact that I just loved the show. My first Jay's were the all white XIV's and I adored them. I didnt get J's because I couldnt afford them to begin with. 

So all these "old sneakerheads" people speak of clearly were privileged to be able to afford these sneakers to begin with. I wasnt able to start buying Jordan's on a monthly basis until HS (because i had my own job), and by that time the golden era of 1999-2002 retros was over. So I don't understand who in their right mind would criticize anyone who is seeking these retros given the fact that they missed the original sneaker. 

I've been able to go back and cop generally ds jordans that I really appreciated because I have a career where I have a consistent salary, but I'd be damned if I get at someone for trying to get something they like at a price that's affordable to him.

The only reason things are changing is because:

1.) People look at it as a "shoe game".

2.) Resellers make it more difficult to cop shoes you want (but hey I cant knock another mans hustle)

3.) Older heads want to be all cranky because some sneakers that they have might depreciate in value due to over-saturation.

and lastly because people want to cop because a shoe is hyped. 

Buy what you like. Altitudes pass. White and red XIII's pass. For me personally. Buy what you like. I consider these sneakers art, and connect them to points in time in my life. Sneaker culture will never die as long as people appreciate what a sneaker is about and the beauty that it holds. Quality or not. 

is the shoe game available now on xbox or ps3? can't seem to find it for sale due to resellers buying it before i got a chance to get my own copy.

is the shoe game available now on xbox or ps3? can't seem to find it for sale due to resellers buying it before i got a chance to get my own copy.

Originally Posted by donttalkitlivit

Same here, same here. Dudes just copping kicks cause they see others copping, they cop shoes they don't like, they cop just to fit in with others, be like others, u know who you are.

Originally Posted by donttalkitlivit

Same here, same here. Dudes just copping kicks cause they see others copping, they cop shoes they don't like, they cop just to fit in with others, be like others, u know who you are.

Back
Top Bottom