Will the rap community accept something different?

A lot of artist never blow up because people refuse to accept anything different from trap and hype music, whats the real issue?

What kind of music are you talking about?  Are you an 'alternative lifestyle' MC?

And a more variety like everyone is so obsessed with boom gap and ******** trap that good music docent really get recognized 

congrats for noticing lol i honestly don't care, I'm just tryna spread music and help people along the way 

congrats for noticing lol i honestly don't care, I'm just tryna spread music and help people along the way 

this ain't the way to do it bruh. seriously, put your effort into another

form of promotion. it will get you much farther.

What other ways are there like I suck with promotion and marketing, 

you're gonna have to pay someone fam. a PR company.

unless you're in college or hs. then i'd say pass out CDs to

people you know to get the buzz spreading. sell some cool merch. get a site. just look it

up honestly. there's lots of helpful info out there.

I've started listening to some of your stuff and it sounds a lot better than I was expecting. Your flow is actually really engaging which is surprising and you come across as being charismatic.

My only tip is to work on the mixing of your songs for example on Space Cowboys the guitar lick is too loud in the mix, it already occupies its own space and the mix itself is well done it's just that your voice seems to be fighting with it. I would also recommend you getting another singer to do the chorus at the end.

As far as promo goes I would hit up the Japanime tour that hits up NYC right after SXSW, get there early and network with the promoters for the show. There's a couple of bands from that sort of niche that regularly tour the US. IDK if peelander Z still tours in that particular scene but I would go there with a couple of EPs and hand them out during the show. While it doesn't draw that large of a crowd, the crowd falls within your niche and you gotta start somewhere. If you're lucky you'll land the number of one of the promoters and try to get on some cross promo whenever they come back to town.

But you really need to get an actual website together. What I would also do is if you can edit put together an AMV and set it to one of your best songs ala Jhene Aiko (it's actually an idea I've had for my own music video for a while now).
Then I would do remixes and just post them to youtube

After that do a hood budget MV. Honestly you should just be out going to local shows with a couple of EPs just trying to network. When I was trying to break into the NYC rock scene I would just go to indie shows every week. Enjoy the music, let your personality shine and just network. Hell I wouldn't even give out EPs at these shows just be on some chop it up, pull out your ipod and have them listen to your music on it right then and there ... If they're feeling it give them an EP with your business card inside...

Your biggest thing is you got to get out there onto the scene, your sound is more indie rap so you gotta think of things like promo in a more punkish sort of way. I would also put together a band and develop a live act. All I've read says that this is a dying art, but I think your sound will be better served that way. IDK I see it more as a live act than the traditional way of getting on as a rapper

When I finish my assignment I'll listen to more of your music and edit this to be a little more concise
You should also list all the promo stuff you've been doing so we could better help you

Back
Top Bottom