with 2020 is coming up, 2010's = meh decade? post memorable highlights.

Answer my question bro. You said all the “soft” rappers got killed off by Gucci Mane. Or you just talking? I need answers

Childish
Drake

those type rappers didn't make gun bars and **** before Keef (not wop) nem came out. That's literally all I'm saying :lol:

Why does Drake have bars about Sand colored FN's?

Keef shifted the zeitgeist to where everyone gotta have that "edge" to them. Like DC, who I think is a teacher or sumn, said...Keef had the youth and the youth are the keys to hip hop fandom, so ****** changed accordingly.

Childish
Drake

those type rappers didn't make gun bars and **** before Keef (not wop) nem came out. That's literally all I'm saying :lol:

Why does Drake have bars about Sand colored FN's?

Keef shifted the zeitgeist to where everyone gotta have that "edge" to them. Like DC, who I think is a teacher or sumn, said...Keef had the youth and the youth are the keys to hip hop fandom, so *****s changed accordingly.

bruh...... HIP HOP was ALWAYS about the streets. What are you talking about??

talking about shifting... there was nothing to shift :lol:

bruh...... HIP HOP was ALWAYS about the streets. What are you talking about??

talking about shifting... there was nothing to shift :lol:

so childish gambino and drake was always street rappers who had gun bars?

1577452723410.png

After keef there were no more rappers keef age that rapped like Lupe or Ye. only Carti and Uzi type dudes who did their best version of what Keef did even though they weren't living like Keef prior to rap they still rap like they do and that domino effect leads to the rappers of today and the "Turkey69" capped out dudes from the suburbs that live rent free in your mind.

Drake just dropped a song this week clowning ****** for being in protective custody and his dogs beating cases lol stop playing bruh

Last edited:
You keep posting the SAME two n_!!! DRAKE/Gambino drake/gambino, drake/gambino, drake/GAMBINO :lol: :lol: :lol:

post some of these other soft rappers, and street rappers. Juxtapose then for me please, I’m not that smart. I need some understanding. Please show me

You keep posting the SAME two n_!!! DRAKE/Gambino drake/gambino, drake/gambino, drake/GAMBINO :lol: :lol: :lol:

post some of these other soft rappers, and street rappers. Juxtapose then for me please, I’m not that smart. I need some understanding. Please show me

Image result for facepalm gif

That's kind of my point *****.

No more rappers debuted like that after Keef shifted the whole zeitgeist and you not gonna get some geeky dude like Gambino or the soft/smooth ladies man like Drake just being themselves.

Take a dude like Lil Tecca (black hoodie/dreads) who probably would have been a Cudi/Gambino type rapper if he came out in like 08-09...literally admitting to lying and just saying what sounds cool...this is the direct result of someone like Keef (and even dudes Keef/Chiraq 12-13 era inspired like Speaker Knockerz) making it in these kids minds that you can only sound cool saying certain word combos and slang to where now it's about achieving that same sonic aesthetic rather than actually just making music about their daily life the way Lupe made a Kick, Push or Kanye used to find creative ways to make songs since he couldn't just default to gun bars.

Even a dude like Carti who was probably just a ***** on the fashion and *****es; gotta include "hide it in my sock/selling that rerock"

"running from a OPP/shooting at these OPPs" (. :lol: this dont even make sense really; again its just about achieving that sonic aesthetic/getting off certain slang)

12-15 years ago Carti probably woulda been a Cool Kids type rapper when you kinda had to either really be living like that or have someone on your campaign to where no one would question you or try to fw you.

Keef and that whole Chiraq phase killed off the "alternative"/non street/soft type rappers for the most part and now everyone raps like that. wavycrocket wavycrocket just brought this up in the other thread with the change in Yachty's music from the initial bright fun cartoony dude to packs and shooters and whatnot.

If u dont get it u just dont get it. Don't hurt yourself :lol:

actually, chicago music scene blew up in duality. the conscious soft scene started poppin at the same time as the drill stuff.

chance the rapper, noname, mick jenkins, smino, saba, vic mensa, tobi lou, towkyo, jean deaux, and a bunch of others, were blowing up, are blowing up, and some fizzled out.

i think after Kanye West did the I DONT LIKE REMIX, the entire industry and world really put a magnifying glass on Chicago as a whole. Even Footwork-Juke music was reaching all time popular heights in that time period (Until DJ Rashad died, RIP, with no head to lead, kinda died out).

Idk bout “killing the soft rappers out,” but yeah, a lot of these kids wouldnt be doing drill if it werent for Keef. He is the closest immediate influence to most of these rappers. Not ONLY him, but in this decade, it’s:

Lil Wayne
50 Cent
Gucci Mane
Waka Flocka
Chief Keef
Kanye West/T-Pain/Kid Cudi
Future
Young Thug
Travis Scott

remember back in the 2000s when 50 Cent said “im the 2Pac to the new kids,” he was right. I hear a lot of these new rappers say their favorite rapper growing up was 50. Ive heard Chief Keef say it, Ive heard Smokepurrp say it.

and that singy-rap stuff is prevalent in their music.

When Chief Keef said 50 Cent was his favorite rapper, “Love Sosa” translated in my head as, if 50 Cent were a 2010’s rapper, he would’ve made Love Sosa.

Mix 50’s rap singy cadence with Autotune Wayne with Kanye’s 808s & Heartbreaks post T-Pain and then the introduction of Future......... That’s the basic principles of most of this decade.

getting back to the “soft music” stuff. post malone is the other dude who is the biggest rapper in the world even if we and he do not consider his music rap music.

further elaborating on the soft chicago music that blew up, there were adjacent communities also involved. the soundcloud beat scene like soulection, kaytranada, and etc, a lot of those aforementioned rappers rapped on production from those communities.

and those communities also worked with other soft or conscious rappers such as Goldlink. Immediately saying Goldlink, we cannot ignore the importance of Mac Miller’s run this decade. J Cole opened the gateway for EarthGang, and Anderson.Paak is mostly on some dancy/soul/conscious music as well.

Kanye West brought international attention to Chief Keef, which trickled down to Chicago, highlighted the drill scene. From there, it directly influenced the resurrection of a New York rap scene which was struggling for a while to produce hits or a scene in general. Bobby Shmurda’s “Hot N—“ was already out for 4 months before Complex published the headline “New York’s Answer to Drill Music,” after that article, the Bobby hat disappearing act went viral on Tumblr, Vine, and Twitter. Everyone was doing the Shmoney Dance, and Bobby signed with Epic along with Rowdy Rebel. After they got locked up, New York’s drill scene continued to get bigger. 22Gz, Pop Smoke, Envy, I don’t know most of their names, I’m not in tune, I just get played a bunch of music and don’t retain their names. That scene is directly from Chief Keef though. And now, you have “UK Drill,” again, directly inspired by Keef. Toronto street music is a variation of Chicago Drill as well. Drake’s Hotline Bling dance is a rip of Mo-G’s left hand like Ginobili dance, but Mo-G got that dance from a rival gang member rapper of Chief Keef’s, forgot his name... Lil Jay I think?

While drill received the Kanye stimulus package, Chicago’s conscious scene also flourished and helped set a new tone for softer music. Drill just hit harder. There wouldnt be no Lil Pumps and all these other rappers without it. Lil Pump’s “eskeddit” adlib is direct rip of Lil Durk’s “lets get it” adlib that he made popular.

Kodak Black is Ol Dirty Bastard meets Gucci Mane
Desiigner is downsyndrome Future refusing medical treatment
Rich Homie Quan was likened to Future a lot
Young Thug was Lil Wayne’s son with Future
Kendrick Lamar retains properties or elements of Lil Wayne & DMX, among others
Lil Baby, Gunna, Roddy Ricch, and others, are sons of Young Thug
Chief Keef, Future, Young Thug, gave birth to Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Keed
Dej Loaf female Future
A Boogie male Dej Loaf mixed with Speaker Knockerz
NAV is Speaker Knockerz’s clone
Speaker Knockerz is Future, 808s & Heartbreaks, surrounded by Chicago Drill environment

:lol: @ Soft Rappers.

I get it though. I didn't acknowledge Drake until about 2016 because I viewed him as a sucka. (Still kinda do) but I am over it now. :lol:

Well yeah, you got guys like Keef, fredo and gunplay then manufactured guys like drake and post Malone.

people want that street stuff man.

Well yeah, you got guys like Keef, fredo and gunplay then manufactured guys like drake and post Malone.

people want that street stuff man.

Nothing wrong with the street music. But that fool is misguided if she he think all “street” guys are tough. But again, these new rap fans allowed a guy like 69 into the fold. Rainbow hair and sissy looking. That’s why I asked that bozo what’s his definition of tough.....

a dude like that ain’t a threat at all cause he was FAKE from
jump. But again, new age hip hop ain’t got standards.

a guy with pink, red, or purple dyed hair and a PURSE is not more menacing than Drake or Childish Gambino. Dudes get a few tattoos and think they tough. None of these dudes look menacing or threatening :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing wrong with the street music. But that fool is misguided if she he think all “street” guys are tough. But again, these new rap fans allowed a guy like 69 into the fold. Rainbow hair and sissy looking. That’s why I asked that bozo what’s his definition of tough.....

a dude like that ain’t a threat at all cause he was FAKE from
jump. But again, new age hip hop ain’t got standards.

a guy with pink, red, or purple dyed hair and a PURSE is not more menacing than Drake or Childish Gambino. Dudes get a few tattoos and think they tough. None of these dudes look menacing or threatening :lol: :lol: :lol:

street guys weren’t respecting rappers in the 90s and 2000s too, i think the general audience perception is buying into the idea of toughness, but the ones who are actually involved mock it.

i remember Biggs was breaking down a Jay Z song off of Reasonable Doubt, and basically he said Hov was saying, “rap is my hustle, I respect your way of making money, so respect my way too,” and he said Hov said that because drug dealers would make fun of rappers for having less than them. They’d be like, oh rappers have this car and that jewlery but we have better cars more money and more jewlery, so we’re the real street guys and these guys are just imitators.

Pusha T expressed the same thing in his 1st Drink Champs interview, saying that the street guys were like “rapping?? you mean those lames who talk about having cars they don’t got while our watches and cars are better than theirs?”

and not to disrespect a legend but, I can pinpoint examples of the past of soft rappers being “let in.” at one point in time, for example, it was a rite of passage to whoop Prodigy’s *** (rest in peace)

2Pac wasn’t on some gang **** until he signed to DeathRow. Imagine starting to claim blood or any gang at 22... Smh. Much like 6ix9ine, he was a cashcow surrounded by gang members. Just that one was loyal to the death and the other one is a rat. A 2000’s tough guy co-signed 6ix9ine... it aint just “this new generation” who let him in, 50 is just as responsible for “letting him in.”

Out of all the things in the 2010s

Bitcoin"s growth is probably the most impressive thing to mw that will only get larger in the 2020s.

6pac 6pac Say Cheese got 2 outa the same 5 as yours for most influential

Migos and Thug changed everything. Everyone took something from them. Future was around and laid blueprints but he still had his own lane.

I was looking at a pic of like Wiz, Rocky, Mac, Drake, YG, etc. and asked myself what changed that trajectory...

And it's still elements of their cadence, beat selection, etc. in the game today. Carti and Uzi were the next artists to cause that huge shift. Thug still influencing via Gunna and Baby.

Migos and Thug changed everything. Everyone took something from them. Future was around and laid blueprints but he still had his own lane.

I was looking at a pic of like Wiz, Rocky, Mac, Drake, YG, etc. and asked myself what changed that trajectory...

And it's still elements of their cadence, beat selection, etc. in the game today. Carti and Uzi were the next artists to cause that huge shift. Thug still influencing via Gunna and Baby.

Boosie on the low there too. We don’t get a Youngboy or Kodak or that chittering circuit WSHH lane guys without him.

Drake
Future
Wayne
Meek
Gucci
Boosie
Kanye
Migos
Thug
Keef

In no order...are the most influential acts of the 2010s. Their DNA is mixed in nearly everything popping today...and you can draw direct lines from one to another.

Back
Top Bottom