***WOMEN'S HOOPS THREAD*** Congrats, UNDEFEATED SOUTH CAROLINA! Congrats, LAS VEGAS ACES!

I do think there are explanations for each one, though it's clearly far past the time for A'ja to get a sig. They need to go head and announce that joint.

Also, what's being obscured by essentially a technicality, is that EDD has a signature shoe too. She's on leave from the Mystics but hasn't retired yet or anything.

The S1s are dope, but pmatic beat me to it - the Kobe stamp is what happened there, along with her being a legend in Nike's back yard.

Stewie is with Puma and got a shoe long after she was actually killin it. Also her shoe isn't worth a damn aside from being just the next in a long line of similar looking and feeling Puma shoes.

EDD's shoes looked good in some colorways but those ****s were 100% terrible to lace. I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

And for whoever the dope on twitter was that said "Are you buying them?" Yes. When A'ja releases a shoe I will try it out. Just like I been balling in the S1s, just like I tried EDD's, just like I checked out the Stewies.

I will start by saying A’ja should have a signature shoe based on her accolades.

Sabrina only has an sig from a confluence of events all happening at the right time, but being ‘chosen’ by Kobe (at a level different than just posting a pic with A’ja) is the major driving factor. Compared to others in the league, does she deserve a sig? Eh, probably not. Most of all, Sabrina is fortunate that CC didn’t arrive two years earlier because CC would’ve taken her lane for a sig shoe. But the Kobe influence is undeniable and Sabrina had huge buzz coming out of Oregon with her triple-double prowess in college and connections to Kobe.

If we step back and look at who previously has had a signature shoe…
Swoopes, Lisa Leslie, Staley, Cynthia Cooper, Rebecca Lobo.

So it definitely looks bad that the only three current sig shoes are for white women, but I think the tide will turn. It isn’t CC’s fault that Sabrina got an sig but Nike would be nuts not to give CC an sig and capitalize on the eyeballs she’s brought to women’s basketball. That shoe is going to do numbers - just look at what CC’s jersey did within 24 hours of the draft.

I do think there are explanations for each one, though it's clearly far past the time for A'ja to get a sig. They need to go head and announce that joint.

Also, what's being obscured by essentially a technicality, is that EDD has a signature shoe too. She's on leave from the Mystics but hasn't retired yet or anything.

The S1s are dope, but pmatic beat me to it - the Kobe stamp is what happened there, along with her being a legend in Nike's back yard.

Stewie is with Puma and got a shoe long after she was actually killin it. Also her shoe isn't worth a damn aside from being just the next in a long line of similar looking and feeling Puma shoes.

EDD's shoes looked good in some colorways but those ****s were 100% terrible to lace. I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

And for whoever the dope on twitter was that said "Are you buying them?" Yes. When A'ja releases a shoe I will try it out. Just like I been balling in the S1s, just like I tried EDD's, just like I checked out the Stewies.

I think It's really obvious why.

Guard style play is more marketable than big play in general, (Lamelo Ball has a signature and Nikola Jokic does not.)

but ESPECIALLY in women's basketball. When you watch Caitlin Clark play, men are going to find it more impressive and entertaining than A'Ja Wilson.
Because WNBA bigs can't dunk, and don't have the male athleticism. I think many men (wrongly) just don't find it that impressive.
you kind of need to be an expert basketball fans to appreciate the nuances of female WNBA power forwards and centers.

but any casual person understand how hard it is to hit a logo 3.

A'Ja Wilson doesn't shoot 3's, her game is much more mid range and in, like a PF or Center.
Breanna Stewart while being a big, shoots a ton of 3's and has a bit more guard aspects to her game. hitting deep trail 3's.

I think It's really obvious why.

Guard style play is more marketable than big play in general, (Lamelo Ball has a signature and Nikola Jokic does not.)

but ESPECIALLY in women's basketball. When you watch Caitlin Clark play, men are going to find it more impressive and entertaining than A'Ja Wilson.
Because WNBA bigs can't dunk, and don't have the male athleticism. I think many men (wrongly) just don't find it that impressive.
you kind of need to be an expert basketball fans to appreciate the nuances of female WNBA power forwards and centers.

but any casual person understand how hard it is to hit a logo 3.

A'Ja Wilson doesn't shoot 3's, her game is much more mid range and in, like a PF or Center.
Breanna Stewart while being a big, shoots a ton of 3's and has a bit more guard aspects to her game. hitting deep trail 3's.

Fact, bigs usually dont sell well.

There are exceptions, but this is commonly known.

It’s bigger than playing style with Aja. She has a big personality. Her marketability >>> a Stewie 3 pointer.

With the right design and price point, her personality would help move units.

Aja had stronger college accolades and several national endorsements. She’s the reason why South Carolina is a powerhouse. She has a statue. She’s a generational player. We can’t beat that Kobe stamp but prime Blake griffin called aja on draft night.
A’ja is also a big. Bigs don’t move sneakers. I think Nike thought that Sabrina was going to be bigger than she actually is. No personality or swag and she’s not the level of player that some people thought she’d be.

A’ja is also a big. Bigs don’t move sneakers. I think Nike thought that Sabrina was going to be bigger than she actually is. No personality or swag and she’s not the level of player that some people thought she’d be.
Giannis has guard skills but is still very much a big. But he also has a big personality. Big enough to get his family members in commercials.

seems like a no brainer to capitalize on the women’s movement with the best player in the league who happens to have all the personality traits you’d want to empower the game.

Giannis has guard skills but is still very much a big. But he also has a big personality. Big enough to get his family members in commercials.

seems like a no brainer to capitalize on the women’s movement with the best player in the league who happens to have all the personality traits you’d want to empower the game.

If this is the case it would of happened already.

If she played like CC and got views like CC, she would be in Clarks position.

Giannis doesnt sell, him in Hulu Commercials hasnt done much needle moving, hes just a spoke on the marketing wheel, Clark is the whole wheel.

Giannis needs Hulu to make him more popular, Hulu would get someone the likes of Caitlin to make Hulu more popular.

The individual who has the potential to get to Caitlin Clark levels is JuJu Watkins.

TBH, JuJu will prolly do it. Already being positioned as the next one in WCBB. Her game is akin to a male superstar shooting guard with big time stats, charismatic without trying, humble, but still has a cool edge about her and as a bonus is really pretty.

Also gets high viewership when she plays.

Last edited:
Idk about YALL but I’m buying Aja sigs in every color ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will say Nike did drop the ball when it came to those PEs from the Finals. Especially after they won….

I was for sure she was headed to Mississippi State to be coached by Purcell but since he’s friends with Louisville’s coach perhaps that wasn’t a great option. TCU was balling before everyone got hurt. I even think one of the Cavinder twins transferred there so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom