***WOMEN'S HOOPS THREAD*** Congrats, UNDEFEATED SOUTH CAROLINA! Congrats, LAS VEGAS ACES!

if this was mens team this wouldn't even be a question. Like team USA took rookie anthony davis one year.

but it's clear there's just a different culture in women's sports around this stuff.

You’re comparing men’s and women’s ball and those are completely separate.

Mens side you can take whatever players you want because 9/10, you’re bigger and more athletic than everyone else.

Women’s side you need the cohesive team. And Big Cait has zero cohesion with anyone on that team

You’re comparing men’s and women’s ball and those are completely separate.

Mens side you can take whatever players you want because 9/10, you’re bigger and more athletic than everyone else.

Women’s side you need the cohesive team. And Big Cait has zero cohesion with anyone on that team
yah i don't agree,

womens basketball is less competitive, no title 9 or college sports means less investment generally across the globe. Women's team will stomp regardless.

you aren't going to convince me that the last roster spot is going to make or break them.

I think they win by 30+ most games with Cait in the final roster spot.

yah i don't agree,

womens basketball is less competitive, no title 9 or college sports means less investment generally across the globe. Women's team will stomp regardless.

you aren't going to convince me that the last roster spot is going to make or break them.

I think they win by 30+ most games with Cait in the final roster spot.
7/12 spots are returning players.

Of the new players
2/5 with Team USA experience
1/5 arguably the best all around player in the league
2/5 were within the Team USA system leading up to it

There just isn’t room for her now. She’ll get her chance in 2 years

THEY feel the last spot means something

7/12 spots are returning players.

Of the new players
2/5 with Team USA experience
1/5 arguably the best all around player in the league
2/5 were within the Team USA system leading up to it

There just isn’t room for her now. She’ll get her chance in 2 years

THEY feel the last spot means something

There's room, they just don't want tiny sacrifices for the benefit of women's basketball as a whole.

Which is fine, that's there right.

But personally I think that's dumb, and they should want to help women's basketball.

There's room, they just don't want tiny sacrifices for the benefit of women's basketball as a whole.

Which is fine, that's there right.

But personally I think that's dumb, and they should want to help women's basketball.
Idk EYE just don’t see how having Big Cait there helps women’s basketball. Viewership in my eyes doesn’t mean **** when ppl in turn aren’t looking to support everything as a whole

"need" is not the point, nothing "needs" to happen.
it would just imo would be smart to have her on the the team, and the objections don't sound compelling to me.

they def didn't take the best team.

they took the team that balanced growing the game, aka taking famous people and showcasing a high level of basketball.

using a final roster sport, on a famous player isn't going cause them to lose. these games won't be within 20 pts.

take Caitlin and put her on a global stage. seems like an easy win.
I think women’s basketball is in an entirely different place than where the Dream Team was in 1992 so this is a big apples and oranges comparison. Women’s basketball isn’t even wildly popular here yet. NBA’s popularity with MJ back then was on a different level.

I thought they’d include her from a commercial perspective too. Instead she’ll probably be on the team that plays against the Olympic team at the W all star game. That’s going to be good for the league and sport

If we decided to take off DT, Big Cait isn’t even the top of players who should replace her….
She’s definitely in the running. She’ll probably be your starting PG for the next few Olympics. Arike isn’t a PG. Skyler is old.

She’s definitely in the running. She’ll probably be your starting PG for the next few Olympics. Arike isn’t a PG. Skyler is old.
Down the line sure. This year ehhh.

There’s enough shot creation with Chelsea and AT (and Sabz kinda). Big Cait would be more off ball looking at the roster and you already got Jewel, Young, Copper and Plumcess

I think women’s basketball is in an entirely different place than where the Dream Team was in 1992 so this is a big apples and oranges comparison. Women’s basketball isn’t even wildly popular here yet. NBA’s popularity with MJ back then was on a different level.

I thought they’d include her from a commercial perspective too. Instead she’ll probably be on the team that plays against the Olympic team at the W all star game. That’s going to be good for the league and sport
The comparison doesn't need to be exactly equivalent otherwise it wouldn't be a comparison.

Imo the ways that the dream tema and team USA in 2024 are different actually makes the argument for including Caitlin stronger imo.

Down the line sure. This year ehhh.

There’s enough shot creation with Chelsea and AT (and Sabz kinda). Big Cait would be more off ball looking at the roster and you already got Jewel, Young, Copper and Plumcess
Caitlin is a better passer and has better vision than Sabrina or Kelsey right now. She could definitely just be a backup point on this roster and blend in just fine.
The comparison doesn't need to be exactly equivalent otherwise it wouldn't be a comparison.

Imo the ways that the dream tema and team USA in 2024 are different actually makes the argument for including Caitlin stronger imo.
I mean I thought she was going to get it because of commercial reasons. I just don’t think that it’s insane not to have her on the team like you said. It could add a LOT of toxicity around a team full of basically all Black women with the vitriole that her fans have showed. But there’s precedent here for players who aren’t a part of the best 12 making the team, even on the women’s side. She’s a cultural phenomenon and going to get plenty of chances to be spotlighted over her career. She’s on the 2nd worst team in the league and playing on national tv multiple times a week in front of sold out crowds. I think the W and her will be fine.

I am not even a casual women's basketball fan... I've watched more in the past couple years than I have combined. I think if you want to grow the game you put her on the team but I can understand and respect their decision not to.

I think if you put her on the team, I think the ratings go up. I think the articles and news coverage goes up, I think the fan discourse goes up as well.

if this was mens team this wouldn't even be a question. Like team USA took rookie anthony davis one year.

but it's clear there's just a different culture in women's sports around this stuff.
Absolutely. That's why Steph...
... wait.

It could add a LOT of toxicity around a team full of basically all Black women with the vitriole that her fans have showed. But there’s precedent here for players who aren’t a part of the best 12 making the team, even on the women’s side.

i think the best argument against it, is that the culture of women's sports won't allow it.
Agreed.
So CC doesn't "need" to be on the team.
Good talk. :smile:

there a million things you don't need to do, this isn't an argument for against anything. the WNBA doesn't need to get any bigger or more popular.

by this logic you shouldn't do anything to grow the game. The reality the WNBA does need to get bigger.

they could sit and be a loss leader subsidized by the NBA for the rest of time and it would be.

need has nothing to do with anything.

Didn't know so many people cared so much about 'ratings' for an every 4 years event like the Olympics or expected the national teams/federations for a competition based on meritocracy to take them into account during their decision making :lol:

Unlike her single-minded fanbase, CC's gonna be more than fine actually getting to give her body a break after 8 months of almost uninterrupted play. She's gonna get at least 3 more cracks at an Olympic gold over her career most likely

Didn't know so many people cared so much about 'ratings' for an every 4 years event like the Olympics or expected the national teams/federations for a competition based on meritocracy to take them into account during their decision making :lol:

Unlike her single-minded fanbase, CC's gonna be more than fine actually getting to give her body a break after 8 months of almost uninterrupted play. She's gonna get at least 3 more cracks at an Olympic gold over her career most likely

I wonder if most of the events will be on tape delay given the time difference in Paris?

Back
Top Bottom