Work/Life Balance Is Overrated

2k she works at a grocery store trying to live like an IT new hire.
I make significantly more than that and my rent is half of hers :lol:
People need to stop being delusional and live within their means. Sure I could avoid the 1h public transport commute but to live closer or in the big city, I'd be paying more than double my current rent for a ****ty apartment that isn't even half the size.

people should’ve understood after the pandemic the worker is better off being a business owner. I had to learn that myself when I realized it’s not about the “prestigious” company i worked for to sustain my life.

Last edited:
kingkoopa kingkoopa current thoughts?

2013 COT DAMN!

It’s been that long!?!?

I wouldn’t say my opinion hasn’t nudged a bit.

I’m more understanding at my older age.

But **** all the way off if you’re complaining about working a 40!!!!!

It’s the wage to cost of living side of the argument that is messed up.

Thats the discussion.

I would also like to state I’ve been at my current job for a little over 6 years.

I don’t know what I was doing in 13 and it’s starting to scare me 😢

Man I was doing a background check for **** as far back as that and the most stressful part was just not even remembering. Ain't no way people just remember everything back 10+ years.

Man I was doing a background check for **** as far back as that and the most stressful part was just not even remembering. Ain't no way people just remember everything back 10+ years.
I was hooping at park one time and this other hooper remembered me from the 2nd grade(1996)
Some people have elephant memory.

I'm cross covering two jobs simultaneouly for about 10 to 12 hours a day with 3 days off a month give or take. Work is the most important thing in my life but with good time management and making everything close to me I can add other passions like hobbies (gym/bjj/shows) and working mostly from home helps me take care of other things during downtime. I have to take dedicated trips out of town to completely separate myself from work.

yeah the economy is ****ed up but it’s been ****ed up. no reason to put yourself in this situation.

and it’s not changing anytime soon so act accordingly. somebody forgot to tell the kids on this side of the world that life is hard and it always will be.

I once put in so much time at the dealership. For years and years. To the determent of my health. After 23 years of selling cars (started in '97 at the age of 20) and dealing with many medical issues, starting with Ulcerative Colitis(had at 16 and got progressively worse as I got older), then needing surgery to remove my entire large intestine at 24, since medication wasn't what it is now.

Then, my liver starting to fail (actually the day of my 2nd surgery to "connect" everything back up internally, my eyes were yellow as a tennis ball) which eventually determined my liver was failing. I was put on the transplant wait list Sept 2003 Had my transplant at 27 in Oct 2003. Then a bowel obstruction a month later. Fast forward to late 2013/early 2014 and my insides are all messed up again. Turns out it was Crohn's the entire time. Spend the next 5 years trying many many different treatments (several different IV based biologicals). But nothing seemed to help. All this time working 50+ hours a week, staying late when my hours don't require me to (lack of people who wanted to sell cars, so we were always short staffed).

For the most part of 2019, my life was a living hell. Trying dealing with work and using the men's room 25+ times a day (and I'm not talking about going standing up, if you get my drift). Sitting in my GI doc's office crying my eyes out because I can't keep this up. He said he can write me out as Crohn's is a covered medical leave exception.

So I left work 1/31/20 and took advantage of the STD/LTD policy I paid for every 2 weeks (I always carried a policy I paid for). And I haven't been back since. On LTD now as I'm on my 4th different medication to try and help alleviate the symptoms. There is no cure, but trying to get the right medicine to work has been tough.

And the sad thing, I enjoyed working. When I'm healthy, I really enjoy it. But when you are selling 200 cars a year and also trying to work around using the bathroom 25+ times a day, it becomes too much to bear. Especially when you wake up several times in the night to go. So I wasn't getting a full restful sleep and actually tried to fight falling asleep on the way home. I would do anything to be healthy again so I can work, but it's just hard to do. And add the stress of auto sales, then it's like a volcano going off inside you.

For those who don't understand SERIOUS GI issues, THIS is something you DO NOT want EVER!! I envy people who are healthy and can go all day without having to use the men's room. Because when I eventually get healthy enough to go back, I gotta find something I can actually do that can accommodate my issues. Some things I just can't do, as I gotta be somewhat close to a restroom. Working a whole bunch is great, but take the time when needed for yourself. Trust me, your health and well being are most important.

sounds like she’s living beyond her means. Move back with the parentals, get a roommate to split rent with, look for a better job.

After college I moved back home for 1 year and saved up, definitely didn’t feel independent, but set me up financially

The way its looking millenials might be the last generation to some what retire.

I feel like “if able” bodied. People still should work or at least minimal. I know so many older people who stopped working, then passed away a few years later.

Physical activity is important. Especially if your body is accustomed

I once put in so much time at the dealership. For years and years. To the determent of my health. After 23 years of selling cars (started in '97 at the age of 20) and dealing with many medical issues, starting with Ulcerative Colitis(had at 16 and got progressively worse as I got older), then needing surgery to remove my entire large intestine at 24, since medication wasn't what it is now.

Then, my liver starting to fail (actually the day of my 2nd surgery to "connect" everything back up internally, my eyes were yellow as a tennis ball) which eventually determined my liver was failing. I was put on the transplant wait list Sept 2003 Had my transplant at 27 in Oct 2003. Then a bowel obstruction a month later. Fast forward to late 2013/early 2014 and my insides are all messed up again. Turns out it was Crohn's the entire time. Spend the next 5 years trying many many different treatments (several different IV based biologicals). But nothing seemed to help. All this time working 50+ hours a week, staying late when my hours don't require me to (lack of people who wanted to sell cars, so we were always short staffed).

For the most part of 2019, my life was a living hell. Trying dealing with work and using the men's room 25+ times a day (and I'm not talking about going standing up, if you get my drift). Sitting in my GI doc's office crying my eyes out because I can't keep this up. He said he can write me out as Crohn's is a covered medical leave exception.

So I left work 1/31/20 and took advantage of the STD/LTD policy I paid for every 2 weeks (I always carried a policy I paid for). And I haven't been back since. On LTD now as I'm on my 4th different medication to try and help alleviate the symptoms. There is no cure, but trying to get the right medicine to work has been tough.

And the sad thing, I enjoyed working. When I'm healthy, I really enjoy it. But when you are selling 200 cars a year and also trying to work around using the bathroom 25+ times a day, it becomes too much to bear. Especially when you wake up several times in the night to go. So I wasn't getting a full restful sleep and actually tried to fight falling asleep on the way home. I would do anything to be healthy again so I can work, but it's just hard to do. And add the stress of auto sales, then it's like a volcano going off inside you.

For those who don't understand SERIOUS GI issues, THIS is something you DO NOT want EVER!! I envy people who are healthy and can go all day without having to use the men's room. Because when I eventually get healthy enough to go back, I gotta find something I can actually do that can accommodate my issues. Some things I just can't do, as I gotta be somewhat close to a restroom. Working a whole bunch is great, but take the time when needed for yourself. Trust me, your health and well being are most important.
Damn man prayers to you dog.

Damn man prayers to you dog.

I really appreciate it buddy! 🙏🙏🙏 Means a lot! For years my old boss didn't really understand how sick I really was and told me I HAD to go on test drives with customers. I told him, when the urge hits, I have literally 30 seconds to get to a bathroom or the pain is overbearing and I can't hold it anymore. He had many arguments over me not going with customers. But I always went back to "do I need my doctor to call and explain it more" type line. He finally understood once he saw my large incision when I had my entire large intestine removed (pretty big scar). Then he sort of backed off.

Then he REALLY stopped when he saw I was dying of liver failure before my transplant. My skin was the color of the OG Flightposties, that greenish/gold with hints of yellow. Had many a customer ask me that summer in 2003, why was I at work. Because I had no where else to go. When I had my transplant, and after my 2 week say in the hospital (there abouts), I asked my dad to stop at work so I can tell everyone I'm okay. When I lifted my shirt to show off about 80-90 staples holding my abdominal area together, you could hear a pin drop in the back office.

But me being me, I worked, worked worked. Never took a day off (back then from 97-2014 or so, we worked 6 days a week with ONE Saturday a week off. But my boss was so nasty that if someone was off (their turn to be off as Saturday was a rotating schedule) and the store was busy and sold a lot of cars, he NEVER let me live it down if it was my turn. So I go so worked up, I worked EVERY SATURDAY! Not the best for mental health.

And I didn't even get into the fact I had a car accident with my demo, that was 100% NOT my fault (per police and our insurance company). That story about how messed up I got (brain bleed and need for vestibular therapy) and how mean my boss AND controller were to me will shock you. I had NO ONE on my side, even after our insurance agent cleared me. 😕 But I kept working my butt off hoping it would mean something. Ultimately it didn't.

Lots of young and yet-to-be-jaded takes in this thread back in 2013. :lol:

Nothing wrong with working hard, but **** all that “rise and grind” ****. Life’s too damn short for all that.

Work smarter, and work just enough to secure your future, while still being able to enjoy the fruits of your labor NOW. I had a dude at my job who worked 12 hour days, 6 days/week for years. My guy never took real vacations. Buddy dropped dead at 50 years old a couple months back. All that “hustling” to be dead in a casket with hundreds of hours of PTO and sick leave that went unused. Couldn’t ever be me, nor should it be anyone.

Work is a paycheck and a future investment. It isn’t your identity, and it shouldn’t be your life.

I feel like “if able” bodied. People still should work or at least minimal. I know so many older people who stopped working, then passed away a few years later.

Physical activity is important. Especially if your body is accustomed

Def gotta do something that is stimulating for the brain and body.
Need to do something social as well.
Volunteer work or something to help the community would be great as well.

Reading this thread makes me wonder how the world would be if there was never a pandemic. That literally changed the landscape.

Humans have dealt with plagues and diseases spreading since the beginning of time. Only difference is, this happened at the peak of internet/social media use. A whole generation that’s use to being tethered to their phones.

So, people who already weren’t use to interpersonal and human interaction, it made those kind of people even MORE reliant on social media/the internet because they had even more time to be stuck looking at their screen.

On the flip side, the ones who needed social interaction or connections, who were reliant on having people around them, was detrimental to that group of people.

Everyone else was somewhere in the middle

lotta proud slaves in here

I love getting things done

not necessarily for someone else’s pockets tho

but I’m close to having all the bread come to me as opposed to a business i work for

Back
Top Bottom