Working at Vice Media Is Not As Cool As It Seems

Companies pay employees as little as they can get away with. No surprises here. 

:lol: wth? ^

bro joined in 2012, 18 posts, 1/6th of which come in this thread to post three sentences that all could've been made in one post?

man wut?

:rofl:

Last edited:
Meh.

Instead of crying about it they should leave and start their own new independent media outlet from scratch just like how Vice started. I'm sure the hipster appeal will be strong now that Vice is more mainstream. With the internet, the media field is now wide open to anyone. They can play up the whole "we left Vice because of greedy management/corporate influence etc" and just produce their own unique content. Unlike Shane, I don't think they have the balls to take the risk and go out and start their own venture from nothing.

Last edited:
Meh.

Instead of crying about it they should leave and start their own new independent media outlet from scratch just like how Vice started. I'm sure the hipster appeal will be strong now that Vice is more mainstream. With the internet, the media field is now wide open to anyone. They can play up the whole "we left Vice because of greedy management/corporate influence etc" and just produce their own unique content. Unlike Shane, I don't think they have the balls to take the risk and go out and start their own venture from nothing.

exactly, it has everything to do with fortitude.

suroosh and shane didn't build this by sitting around crying, naw they put on their boots and went out into the world.

say what you want about them, call 'em hipsters, call 'em privileged, whatever.

I don't see very many others in the media going to North Korea like Shane Smith. I don't see very many in the media traveling to the jihadist infested outskirts of Pakistan like Suroosh.

They did that ****. They put it all on the line. Suroosh in particular could've came back a corpse on more than one occasion. Simon Ostrovsky is out in Ukraine literally in the middle of a warzone, as is Henry Langston.

Sorry project managers, post production managers, sorry designers, sorry free-lancers of various trades. No guts no glory. You don't get a six figure salary for simply being employed by Vice. Maybe check the glassdoor before applying next time?

And if you look at their glassdoor you'd see a lot of positions are taking in well over 100K a year. Software engineers, senior systems analysts, content devs, account directors, creative directors.

Thalia Mavros getting that guap. So are a lot of employees. Definitely their correspondents.

You want the big boy bucks? Go get it. Nobody stopping you. Cutesy illustrators and photographers need not apply.

Last edited:
don't eem care....

as long as the homie Huang keep doing FOB and Simon Ostrovsky keeps dodging bullets and RPGs on the front-lines of Ukraine I'm happy.

AND they got Action Bronson doing a series on Munchies? Oh yeah, me likey.

Listen, unless they're a correspondent putting his *** on the line for ViceNews or Vice, they need to shut the **** up.
These **** boy video editors and photographers doing the mundane jobs shouldn't complain. You get what you put in. Notice how Krishna Andavolu, Simon Ostrovsky or Henry Langston don't complain. Why? Because they're actually going around the world covering pertinent issues. Not just sitting in an air-conditioned film room with a cup of starbucks *****ing about pay.

Real ****** do real things. You want the big bucks? Get out of the editing room and put on a vest and be a correspondent. Period.
Shane Smith and Suroosh Alvi put their lives on the line by going to some of the seediest places on earth to cover things others in the media would NEVER have the testicular fortitude to do. Pure slander piece by Gawker, nobody is checking for you Nick Denton, nobody. Deadspin even falling off.

Because it's that easy right? If it was that easy, every aspiring Broadcast Journalism major would be at ESPN or a big TV station out of college instead of having to relocate to the middle of nowhere, America like many do just to get their feet in the door. How about you shut the **** up on stuff you know nothing about. The editing room and the digital side is just as important to VICE is doing as their field work especially since they concentrate so much content on YouTube and their various channels. Being in digital media is a 24/7 job with odd hours and the expectation to be available on for on call if the situation ever arises. Instead of getting comfortable on VICE's genitalia, how about you respond to the "release" they put out which didn't attempt to refute the claims put out by Gawker's investigation. You sitting here talking like they're pioneers. If you have a large enough bankroll, you can travel and get access to the same people they got access to.

It's hilarious to me. VICE which is now backed by Bill Maher leans far left, but should their employees ever think about coming together to fight for better wages, they'd close up shop and an instant.

Dude said he made 26k in Atlanta. You made in 26k in Atlanta, because it's Atlanta. It's a city with a relatively low cost of living compared to NYC, DC, Chicago or LA where you would have received 45k at the minimum for the same job you're doing/did. You can't compare your situation to theirs. Did they know what they were getting into? Definitely. I'm not disagreeing there, but when you're getting funding from News Corp among others, it's time to stop with the underhanded startup tactics and act like the organization you claim to be.

Because it's that easy right? If it was that easy, every aspiring Broadcast Journalism major would be at ESPN or a big TV station out of college instead of having to relocate to the middle of nowhere, America like many do just to get their feet in the door. How about you shut the **** up on stuff you know nothing about. The editing room and the digital side is just as important to VICE is doing as their field work especially since they concentrate so much content on YouTube and their various channels. Being in digital media is a 24/7 job with odd hours and the expectation to be available on for on call if the situation ever arises. Instead of getting comfortable on VICE's genitalia, how about you respond to the "release" they put out which didn't attempt to refute the claims put out by Gawker's investigation. You sitting here talking like they're pioneers. If you have a large enough bankroll, you can travel and get access to the same people they got access to.

It's hilarious to me. VICE which is now backed by Bill Maher leans far left, but should their employees ever think about coming together to fight for better wages, they'd close up shop and an instant.

Dude said he made 26k in Atlanta. You made in 26k in Atlanta, because it's Atlanta. It's a city with a relatively low cost of living compared to NYC, DC, Chicago or LA where you would have received 45k at the minimum for the same job you're doing/did. You can't compare your situation to theirs. Did they know what they were getting into? Definitely. I'm not disagreeing there, but when you're getting funding from News Corp among others, it's time to stop with the underhanded startup tactics and act like the organization you claim to be.

:lol: you keep thinking that bud.

Listen, since it's all on par, then there shouldn't be any qualms about leaving the editing room and donning a vest to go speak to jihadists in Syria or go speak to separatist rebel groups in Ukraine.

K, again, Vice didn't refute the gawker piece, nor do I. Nor do I even care about those moaning and complaining about not getting paid the glorious salaries they were expecting.

And since all it takes is a bankroll to do what vice correspondents do, and what Suroosh Alvi does, then maybe if they collect enough in their piggy bank they'll be able to go do the same things those guys are doing, because obviously courage is no asset here. Anyone can do what they do.

:lol: Again I get it man, you empathize with the lil' guys here. I get it, I see it, I don't really care though. Sorry.

Last edited:
Not going to lie, the biggest draw to vice is where they go. Their reporters aren't particularly good. It's a lot of 'flash' little substance. They don't give particularly good interviews, they never look comfortable on camera. I get that what they are doing is dangerous and that's probably why, but you're a reporter, that's what you do, man up and get some damn composure. Their reporters aren't that good IMO; even as someone interested in the subject matter, and intrigued by their access, I don't watch because the reporting isn't done well. Vice = Hipsters with cameras, their bankroll gets them there, their 'nothing seriously bad will happen to me; besides if something did happen ill get more twitter followers' attitude gives them that status.

Long Story short, Vice is pretty shallow, I don't identify with the reporters and one day these kids will get shot and a lot of them will jump ship.

Last edited:
Low key I kinda dig the chick who does their Fashion Week segments.    Probably because she's tall, and that accent
embarassed.gif
  I would just like to meet her, seems pretty even-keeled and unafraid, at least on camera.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom