Workwear, The NEW movement to move wit....ya dig?

[h4]October 8, 2008...10:00 am[/h4] [h2]Workwear in the Observer[/h2]Jump to Comments
Today's issue of the New York Observer is reporting on one of ACL's most-liked topics - the trend of workwear fashion. The article mentions some of this blog's favorite things - Estex, Duluth Pack, Engineered Garments, Odin, the list goes on and on.

2178403549_b85bb3861c_o.jpg

The esteemed Mr. Randy Goldberg of Kempt was quoted in the piece:

"There's something stylish about the idea of punching the clock and feeling like the average American man," said Randy Goldberg, editorial director of the men's style blog Kempt.

As was your truly:

For Michael Williams, 29, a partner at a marketing firm who lives in Manhattan but grew up in Cleveland, this kind of clothing represents a return to his Rust Belt roots. "For a long time, guys just wanted to be like the rock star or the CEO," said Mr. Williams, who (like seemingly almost everyone) blogs about style on the side. "I think that on a larger scale this signals that people are interested in being middle class again … you know, just wanting to have a nice home in a good neighborhood."

I am obviously an idealist, but am I totally nuts to really think that way? We all know that most guys are just interested in wearing something fashionable or "of the moment" and most of this workwear, Bergdorf Red Wing hoopla will fade away into the distance just like the American middle class. Or am I just waxing philosophical about this? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

The entire article can be seen here.

21 Comments

Filed under Men's wear, Style, Work Wear

[h4]November 23, 2008...2:10 pm[/h4] [h2]Workwear in the LA Times[/h2]Jump to Comments
Three makes a trend. Isn't that what people say? Booth Moore has a nice article in the LA Times about the rise in popularity of workwear. This comes on the heels of both The Observer and The New York Times devoting space to the topic. I was excited to see that ACL was included in the article (thanks to Ricky Swallow for spreading the good word) along with two of my favorites Reference Library and Archival Clothing, not to mention many of my most-liked labels. The full article can be seen here.

5 Comments

Filed under Los Angeles, Media, Men's wear, Work Wear

[h4]July 29, 2008...2:36 pm[/h4] [h2]The Real Life NAVY-ism | Mister Freedom[/h2]Jump to Comments
A few months ago I dedicated a week's worth of coverage to "The NAVY-ism" issue of the ingenious Japanese magazine Free & Easy. Along the way (and with help from a friend in LA) I discovered Mister Freedom. The vintage military inspired collection is the brainchild of designer Christophe Loiron, who is clearly operating on a higher level. In addition to designing and manufacturing a line of Navy inspired men's clothing, Mister Freedom is also a well edited vintage military clothing store. The premise behind the brand is to create "historically plausible clothing", which basically means that the items in the Mister Freedom collection might not have been documented exactly as such, but the details and elements that make up the garments are things that historically existed during the era. The attention to detail, from the hardware to the fabrics, is on a level that I have never seen. In a word, amazing!

2602851488_e357ac5d4a.jpg

[h5]Mister Freedom himself, Christophe Loiron.[/h5]
2602830498_d065a51c1e.jpg

2602841462_1109241172.jpg

2602840104_ef60583beb.jpg

2602842780_1bdd9d1c5b.jpg

[h5]Vintage belts.[/h5]
2602015551_0486518429.jpg

2602024235_35e7e4dc70.jpg

[h5]Mister Freedom tote bag.[/h5]
2602836012_ea0ec682c1.jpg

2602025971_72ce9de6e8.jpg

The complete set of Mister Freedom images can be seen here.

While Mister Freedom is based in Los Angeles, the label is available in stores throughout Japan and the denim-friendly store Self Edge in San Francisco stocks the brand. Rumor has it that the new men's J. Crew store on West Broadway will carry part of the Mister Freedom collection.

7161 Beverly Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90036 Tel: (323) 653 2014

2 Comments

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
4Q89432.jpg
4Q90144.jpg
4J48277.jpg
4M16277.jpg
C03BRN
C02BRN
C02MDT
J143CMO

prodigy.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

articles courtesy of instant klassic�

feel free to post more here.

Supreme had a few carhartt inspired pieces this season, and ofcourse the Japanese are heavy into traditional American clothing.

Dickies double-knees w/ the cellphone pocket FTW
pimp.gif
Carhartt and Dickies coats in that Canvas material hot but they fade when they get wet.

Originally Posted by Frankie CALentino

Supreme had a few carhartt inspired pieces this season, and ofcourse the Japanese are heavy into traditional American clothing.
well now function is no longer taking a backseat to fashion like a few years past. brands that have stood the test of time are now gonna havetheir time to shine, and its all about the top quality and not paying hypebeast prices for it...

i've long stumped hipsters and hypbeast with the question of "well ok there famz, why does EVERYONE in the hood co-sign...

411GBCXX35L._SL500_.jpg

no matter how much ya try to shun them? because they're top quality and its a subtile timeless classic...carhatt i can also personally cosign as qualityand classic.

state property a few years ago was POPPIN for its jackets and outerwear, and alot of people didn't realize that they drew alot of inspirations and designsof the pages of carhatt and other popular workwear attire...

since the plaids and lumberjacks have started seeping into fashion i can only see the rest of its fellow workwear attire to followsuit.

laugh.gif

you seriously gonna go to the media for fashion advice?

if it's in the news....the style has already been worn for years.

you're late buddy.

and how the hell are you gonna post regular stock pictures of carhartt and say it's a new trend? and with those hats...it seems more like carhartt tried todabble into streetwear.

and some rappers in some old rap videos wearing carhartt?
eek.gif
WOW
laugh.gif

for the record...people have been wearing jeans, coats, jackets, sweaters, shirts, socks, hats and whatever the hell else you wanna label as"workwear" since forever.

get the %*@+ outta here you herbs.

Does it make me cool since I never stopped wearing my Carhartt, Dickies and Ben Davies?

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NT OG

laugh.gif

you seriously gonna go to the media for fashion advice?

if it's in the news....the style has already been worn for years.

you're late buddy.

and how the hell are you gonna post regular stock pictures of carhartt and say it's a new trend? and with those hats...it seems more like carhartt tried to dabble into streetwear.

and some rappers wearing carhartt?
eek.gif
WOW
laugh.gif

for the record...people have been wearing jeans, coats, jackets, and whatever the hell else you wanna label as "workwear" since forever.

get the #@%% outta here you herb.
illmatic is 14 years old

NWA is over 20 years old

don't you think i already know its been out? i probably went thru 4 of those carhartt jackets...im just happy they coming back to prominance

and you sir

umadjs3.gif

Originally Posted by NT OG

for the record...people have been wearing jeans, coats, jackets, sweaters, shirts, socks, hats and whatever the hell else you wanna label as "workwear" since forever.

get the %*@+ outta here you herbs.
Everyone knows people been wearing it for years. Their saying its going to be the new trend you idiot.

Does it make me cool since I never stopped wearing my Carhartt, Dickies and Ben Davies?

Exactly I been wearing dickies since 96 .maybe its cause im one of the older members on here (27) but i stopped keeping up with trends along time ago and juststuck to what was affordable, comfortable and timeless. U reach a certain point where u start buying clothes that u can actually wear for some years instead ofa few months. Trends always expire in a brief period.I I found its best stick to whats timeless for longevity.

im pretty sure its big in europe. i think carhartt has a different fashion line in europe.

Originally Posted by wildout4

im pretty sure its big in europe. i think carhartt has a different fashion line in europe.

It is. Way better and more variety.

I have a few Engineered Garments pieces as well as some lesser known brands from Japan in my wardrobe. Been collecting for a while. Didn't realize this wasa "trend" now. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom