[::WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD: 2 Weeks Away From Pre-Season::]

The guys the lakers took in the draft will not be on the lakers roster this coming season, lakers just took them to either trade them or cut them later on like they did with the players they drafted last year. 

They definitely took Ebanks for his potential to be Ariza-like. I won't say it'll work out, but it's intriguing.

Devin looks kinda like Ariza too
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by knightngale

dude seems to be better than anyone on our bench (other than odom)

That is a video highlight package..can't say he is better then ANY nba player from a college video highlight package.

[h1]latimes.com[/h1][h2]Lakers' Brian Shaw, Cavaliers to talk about coaching position[/h2][h3]While the team drafts forwards Devin Ebanks and Derrick Caracter, Shaw receives permission to look into Cleveland vacancy.[/h3]
By Mike Bresnahan

11:40 PM PDT, June 24, 2010

The Lakers continued to be a franchise in flux, as Phil Jackson mulled his future, Brian Shaw received permission to interview with the Cleveland Cavaliers and, almost a footnote, two players were selected in the second round of Thursday's draft.

Jackson takes off Friday for his Montana summer home, where he will make a decision on his future by the end of next week, but if he retires the pool of L.A. candidates might shrink by one.

Shaw, a Lakers assistant coach the last five seasons, has been officially approached for an interview by Cleveland, The Times has learned, making this week even busier for the NBA champions. Cleveland needs to hire a head coach.

"They did call a couple of days ago and we did grant permission," Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak said. "Now it's up to Brian and Cleveland. All of our coaches' contracts run out at the end of the month anyway, so it is accurate."

Shaw, 43, spoke with Cavaliers representatives earlier this week and probably will fly to Cleveland next week for a face-to-face interview with the team's owner and front-office staff.

It has been reported that LeBron James has a strong interest in the triangle offense, something in which Shaw is well-versed because of his four years as a Lakers player who won three championships from 2000 to 2002. James is expected to become a free agent July 1, and there is no guarantee he'll return to the Cavaliers next season, even if Shaw lands the job.

After the sun went down Thursday, it was the Lakers' turn to draft. They added West Virginia forward Devin Ebanks with the 43rd pick and Texas El Paso forward Derrick Caracter with the 58th pick. Neither received a guaranteed contract, standard procedure for all NBA second-round picks.

The Lakers did not have their first-round pick, 28th overall, because they sent it to Memphis in 2008 as part of the Pau Gasol trade. They received the Grizzlies' second-round pick in that deal and selected Ebanks, a rebounder-defender listed at 6 feet 9 who was projected in some mock drafts as a late first-round pick.

"We were surprised he was still there at 43, so we're pleased," Kupchak said.

Ebanks played two years for West Virginia and saw his stock dip after struggling on offense in the Big East and NCAA tournaments, averaging 10.6 points in eight postseason games.

If he makes the team, he could see time at backup small forward if Luke Walton's sore back causes more problems. Walton played 45 games last season and has three more years and $16.7 million left on his contract. "With Luke's back, we're not sure what the future holds for him," Kupchak said.

Ebanks made only three of 30 three-point attempts (10%) last season, dragging his overall shooting percentage down to 45.7%. He said his toughness and length were his biggest assets.

"I don't have a problem guarding the other team's best player," he said.

The Lakers took another 6-foot-9 forward with No. 58, junior Caracter, who transferred to UTEP after two seasons at Louisville. He averaged 14.1 points and 8.1 rebounds last season.

A handful of second-round picks have made the roster over the last 10 years. Walton was selected 32nd overall in 2003, Ronny Turiaf and Von Wafer were 37th and 39th overall in 2005, and Sun Yue was 40th in 2007.

[email protected]

[email protected]

twitter.com/BA_Turner

twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan

Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 2010, The Los Angeles Times

So all of our coaches on the staff don't have a contract, Lebron wants the triangle....this don't sound good to me.

Originally Posted by tupac003

Originally Posted by knightngale

dude seems to be better than anyone on our bench (other than odom)

That is a video highlight package..can't say he is better then ANY nba player from a college video highlight package.
Exactly. From what I've seen he's very inconsistent. It'll be somewhat of a project but there's pretty nice potential there.

IMO THE TRIANGLE IS NOT GOOD FOR LEBRON ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................LEBRON IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE TRIANGLE

Now that I think about it, Ebanks could very well make the final roster. He definitely needs to work on his shooting this summer. 3 for 30 on threes?
sick.gif

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Unless Ebanks stinks it up in summer league, he'll be on the 15 man roster come opening night.
I liked it ALOT when they show the highlight packages of draft picks, and every single damn one of them I saw was some offensive play, a dunk, a shot, a 3, a tough lay up, whatever, and then Ebanks gets drafted and his highlights show a shot, a tough layup, and then number 3, him with a hand right in someone's face on D, using quick hands to get the steal and start a break. 
pimp.gif

He looks just like Trevor at 6'8" and skinny as hell too.  Played for Huggins at West Virginia.....this kid has to know some things about toughness and desire.  And the best part?  He guards Kobe in practice all year, don't get much tougher then that, he should learn a ton off that alone. 

I don't care one bit what he brings on offense.  We can worry about that later in his career. 

Nas, what do you think on Odom saying he wants to play more small forward next year?  He gon spend the summer workin on his jumper I would hope if that's true.  Be at least solid from 18 feet, not flingin 3's all year.  I like the idea, but I'm a little confused why he wants that.  How would Artest take hearing that as well? 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Unless Ebanks stinks it up in summer league, he'll be on the 15 man roster come opening night.
I liked it ALOT when they show the highlight packages of draft picks, and every single damn one of them I saw was some offensive play, a dunk, a shot, a 3, a tough lay up, whatever, and then Ebanks gets drafted and his highlights show a shot, a tough layup, and then number 3, him with a hand right in someone's face on D, using quick hands to get the steal and start a break. 
pimp.gif

He looks just like Trevor at 6'8" and skinny as hell too.  Played for Huggins at West Virginia.....this kid has to know some things about toughness and desire.  And the best part?  He guards Kobe in practice all year, don't get much tougher then that, he should learn a ton off that alone. 

I don't care one bit what he brings on offense.  We can worry about that later in his career. 

Nas, what do you think on Odom saying he wants to play more small forward next year?  He gon spend the summer workin on his jumper I would hope if that's true.  Be at least solid from 18 feet, not flingin 3's all year.  I like the idea, but I'm a little confused why he wants that.  How would Artest take hearing that as well?   
If you check my Twitter timeline, Ebanks was one of the guys I wanted when the Lakers were on the clock.
laugh.gif
I like what he brings in terms of  toughness, athleticism, defensive mentality and versatility. The Ariza comparisons are dead on for the most part. He's got to improve his jump shot and refine his ball-handling skills to reach his potential. I'm somewhat worried about his maturity off the court, but he's young and on a veteran team now so I hope he wises up. At the very worst, the Lakers got a more athletic Jared Jeffries.

As far as Odom, I'm not really sure why he's aiming to play SF. Maybe he just wants to be even more dangerous individually or he thinks with Bynum getting healthy (
eyes.gif
) and Pau still in the fold, he'll have to transition to SF to get his minutes (especially with Puke's back problem)? Either way, it would make the Lakers even more versatile if he can play more SF. I'm curious if Odom can make the transition to SF though. He hasn't logged major minutes there since he was Clipper. He's gonna have to improve his jump shot, lateral quickness and post game to take advantage of being much taller-stronger than the average SF. Artest should be fine with it, he's getting his 30-35 MPG no matter what.

Odom wants to play more SF because it's his natural position. He's been playing out of position since he was on the Heat.

I can see Ebanks making the squad, but the team terribly needs to shed some wasted forward space.  (Walton/Sasha)

Eh, im not excited about these draft picks at all honestly. I wanted a PG, and i still do. <br> <br> So all im really worried about is whats Phil gonna do, and which PG are we gonna sign/trade for...because our gaurd depth is a big problem if Shannon and Farmar leave. (obviously)

Originally Posted by LiCeNseD To BaLL

Eh, im not excited about these draft picks at all honestly. I wanted a PG, and i still do. <br> <br> So all im really worried about is whats Phil gonna do, and which PG are we gonna sign/trade for...because our gaurd depth is a big problem if Shannon and Farmar leave. (obviously)

Mitch had said the team was not going to use this draft to get a point guard, simply because there was no PG depth in the draft this year.

solid draft. couldn't really ask for more. 
i wish there was an available pg though that we could have as our 3rd string guard. 

i expect the lakers to resign fish, sign a backup pg or combo guard, and a veteran pf/center. 

i look forward to seeing more minutes from sasha/walton. sasha played real well at the end of the season, and seems to be hitting his shots again. AND its his contract year 
wink.gif

throw ebanks into that 2/3 spot to spell minutes from sasha/walton and we have a solid rotation. 

I'm pleased with the Ebanks pick. A young, long, very athletic player that thrives on the defensive end. Sounds like a great fit for this team. I really wanted Andy rautins, but New york scooped him up

Back
Top Bottom