Would you buy a hybrid?

I was wondering specifically about the toyota prius would any of you purchase one or do any of you own one. i really dont like the look of it too much but at48/45 epa estimated mpg rating there are no cars on the market touching it. Additional info: im moving to LA in march. fresh outta college. i owe about 65,000in student loans.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Only hybrid I like so far[/color]

2008-lexus-ls600hl-front-rightjpg.jpg

I'd consider purchasing one but I read this article on yahoo where it explained how the financial benefits of owning a new hybrid won't come until 5years down the road if you already have a car that's paid off. The article explained how what you save in gas you more than make up for in payments andother fees associated with a new car.

http://biz.yahoo.com/brn/080502/25295.html?.v=1&.pf=family-home

Trading in gas guzzler may cost you
Friday May 2, 6:00 am ET
Terry Jackson

Like a lot of people, you may be watching the price at the pump soar and wondering whether it's time to dump your current, less-than-efficient SUV, truckor car.

It's tempting to simply haul your 15 miles-per-gallon vehicle down to the dealership and drive out in something that gets 30 mpg or more. But that may notbe smart, at least from a financial point of view.

People thinking of going this route need to take several factors into account.

For starters, your gas guzzler is worth considerably less as a trade-in than it was even six months ago. By some estimates, the value of used sport utilityvehicles has dropped more than 20 percent since January.

Even if your current car is paid for, you're likely to incur new monthly payments on that fuel-efficient replacement.

Finally, it could take years to realize actual savings at the pump when other factors are taken into consideration.

Here's an example:

Suppose you have a two-wheel-drive 2001 Ford Expedition XLT. According to Edmunds.com, it is worth about $5,700 as a trade-inand gets about 16 mpg in city driving, although most owners of that model know real-world mileage is less than that.

At $3.70 a gallon for regular fuel, it costs about $97 to fill the Expedition's 26-gallon tank.

To cut that bill, the Expedition owner is looking at a two-wheel-drive 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid, which can likely be bought(assuming reasonable options on board) for about $28,000, plus taxes, title fees, etc.

The Escape Hybrid promises to deliver about 32 mpg in normal driving, double what the 2001 Expedition delivers. A fill-up ofthe Escape's 15-gallon tank at $3.70 a gallon would cost about $55.

But what are the real savings?

Assuming you own the Expedition free and clear and use the trade-in value as your down payment -- and cover the sales taxesand other fees in cash -- the Escape will come with a loan for about $22,300. At current rates, financing for 60 months means a monthly payment of about$439.

So let's add up the costs for a year:

It costs about $3,500 to keep it filled with gasoline, assuming prices stay at about $3.70. If they go to $4 a gallon, thebill will be about $3,750.

In the new Escape, your annual fuel bill, assuming the same mileage and $3.70 a gallon, would be about $1,730, a savings ofabout $1,770 a year.

But the new Escape will cost you $5,268 in payments, not counting out-of-pocket fees and the value of the Expedition used attrade-in.

Even after factoring in the one-time federal tax credit that comes with an Escape Hybrid, swapping a serviceable gas-guzzlerfor a more fuel-efficient new vehicle is unlikely to provide a financial benefit for five years, when the new vehicle is paid off.

Of course, there are reasons to get a more fuel-efficient vehicle the go beyond bottom-line economics. They include concern for the environment and helping toreduce our oil imports.

And if it's simply just time for a new vehicle -- the old one is worn out, or you've budgeted to trade vehicles at this time anyway -- then by allmeans it would be foolish to not consider something that gets considerably better fuel mileage.

But if your prime motivator is the sticker shock at the gas pump, act with caution. While a new vehicle may help you save at the pump, it can significantlyincrease your overall costs.

there are hybrids that are comming out towards the end of the year that are alot better than the ones out now. my advice is wait a year and then decide. i knowtoyota is comming out with some jetsons lookin $+!% hahah. but supposidly gettin 100+ mpg

Originally Posted by killa couch

I was wondering specifically about the toyota prius would any of you purchase one or do any of you own one. i really dont like the look of it too much but at 48/45 epa estimated mpg rating there are no cars on the market touching it. Additional info: im moving to LA in march. fresh outta college. i owe about 65,000 in student loans.

I wouldn't purchase a hyrbrid as it is just a temporary solution to the problem, honestly I've been telling people this but Diesel cars are goingto be the future, they have them in europe but I believe this year or next year they are going to start introducing them in new models. Although Volkswagenhas introduced the Jetta TDI in 2003-04(?) it gets WAY better mileage then the beloved prius,

give this a read: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-06-10-diesel-vs-hybrid_x.htm

there are a lot more options of hybirds...me personally, if i had money to get the prius, id go for the camry hybrid. i think it gets bout 35mpg or so, butthat 10mpg is worth it cuz the camry is a much better looking car. theres also the honda civic hybrid and if you moving to socal, you might be eligible for thecivic NGV so id look into that.

the ford escape hybrid is honestly the best bang for your buck. and its actually a pretty decent car.

That article states that hybrids are not worth the money IF you already own a car. It seems the OP doesn't have a car so it would be a great money saverfor him.

Originally Posted by ceelo4

That article states that hybrids are not worth the money IF you already own a car. It seems the OP doesn't have a car so it would be a great money saver for him.

it would be an advantage either way, but if I were the one buying I'd go with the diesel.

dont most people buy hybrids to save money? if so, how does dropping $100k on a Lexus LS hybrid make any sense?
im looking forward to seeing what the new 94mpg prius is going to look like.

luxury cars still use gas fool... if u drive a 100k car now why not get one wit better gas mileage?

Originally Posted by FreshProduct

Only hybrid I like so far

Yall hyping that lexus up too much that @+%# is just a camry with lexus badges and better leather....... And a sticker for prolly 20k more......

014580.3-lg.jpg

altima hybrid has navi tooo....

I have an 02 Jetta and am gonna start working full time. I've been thinking about getting one. I'm don't like the look of those Prius and thesmall hybrids, I was thinkin bout one of those Camry hybrids. And with respect to that article, I kind of look at it for the environment, not solely for themoney savings.

Originally Posted by fittednfresh

Originally Posted by FreshProduct

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Only hybrid I like so far[/color]

Yall hyping that lexus up too much that @+%# is just a camry with lexus badges and better leather....... And a sticker for prolly 20k more......

014580.3-lg.jpg

altima hybrid has navi tooo....

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The body of the Lex is better in my opinion. Lexus > Nissan.[/color]

The Altima hybrid is nice, my friend has one in black. I would consider copping if I had the funds.

smh like I said u letting the name get you. Might as well say toyota > nissan they are the same exact body style but because lexus is hyped people pay theextra 20k

yeah with all of the stuff i read about gas prices i dont wanna go with a prius but gas is no joke especially for some of the places in cali, but i mightconsider that diesel

Back
Top Bottom