Would you travel outside of the country to work?

I am finishing up my bachelor's in business management and I've been getting a lot of recommendations from professors to start traveling outside of the US to start my job search. Anyone ever have any good/bad experiences with leaving the country? Which country is best to be looking into now?

Yup, I'm moving to Hong Kong in December by myself for work. My uncle is the CEO of a high-end designer brand over there, and my aunt is the managing director of a huge publishing company based in the UK, and they want to take me under their wing. I'm planning to work as an event organizer there... Working in Asia requires a ton of OT, but the pay is ridiculous. Since I'll have free room & board, I can just save my money.

Hong Kong has a bunch of expats from all over the world working there, it's definitely a place to build a lot of connections. I'll miss life over here in North America, though.

id love to. im mainly interested in certain geographic areas though. mostly eastern, central, and southern europe. middle east too.

My first real job out of college was based in Costa Rica exporting bananas and frozen fruit. Amazing experience, got me exposure to other cultures and I learned a ton (not to mention I now speak Spanish at a fairly professional level). It also got me to the job I have now, where I will travel, live and work internationally as a career.
pimp.gif

If you are willing to take a risk to work outside of America I'd highly recommend it. China and Brazil have a tremendous lack of skilled workers, and if you can market yourself as someone who understands the American consumer and culture I think you can be successful.

Also for the dude going to live in HK, congrats, you're gonna have a blast.

Originally Posted by WE GET MONEY

My first real job out of college was based in Costa Rica exporting bananas and frozen fruit. Amazing experience, got me exposure to other cultures and I learned a ton (not to mention I now speak Spanish at a fairly professional level). It also got me to the job I have now, where I will travel, live and work internationally as a career.
pimp.gif

If you are willing to take a risk to work outside of America I'd highly recommend it. China and Brazil have a tremendous lack of skilled workers, and if you can market yourself as someone who understands the American consumer and culture I think you can be successful.

damn that opportunity looks like it set you off straight. Was it an obstacle being in Costa Rica on a social aspect?

and hongcouver604, that's a good look. I just read an article on Forbes about Honk Kong being one of the top business countries: #3 Hong Kong

Originally Posted by Jordan23mj45

Originally Posted by WE GET MONEY

pimp.gif

damn that opportunity looks like it set you off straight. Was it an obstacle being in Costa Rica on a social aspect?

and hongcouver604, that's a good look. I just read an article on Forbes about Honk Kong being one of the top business countries: #3 Hong Kong

Yes of course.  The language barrier and isolation from my family and friends was definitely trying but it helped me grow and mature tremendously as an individual.  Plus having a Costa Rican girlfriend was fly
pimp.gif

How easy is it to become a teacher in China? Ive heard of regular Americans going there to teach English.

Originally Posted by EcruteakCityBoy

Go to Germany. That's where the money's at

I've heard this before. I have a German friend in the city right now, as a foreign exchange student.

I have friends working in the oil business, So going out to the country is possible in that field. As the gas goes up, So does their pay check. Dudes making serious $.

Having American Money living in Mexico though
pimp.gif
>>>

But yes I would go to another country to work, Like I've said before, Living in the US is overrated.

In a heartbeat. That's what I plan on doing anyway, things in this country seem to be going downhill rapidly 
30t6p3b.gif

really considering working in europe or hopefully south africa would be cool and maybe the middle east if the money right

id consider it depends how much i like the job/pay and the location (country/city)

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

Yup, I'm moving to Hong Kong in December by myself for work. My uncle is the CEO of a high-end designer brand over there, and my aunt is the managing director of a huge publishing company based in the UK, and they want to take me under their wing. I'm planning to work as an event organizer there... Working in Asia requires a ton of OT, but the pay is ridiculous. Since I'll have free room & board, I can just save my money.

Hong Kong has a bunch of expats from all over the world working there, it's definitely a place to build a lot of connections. I'll miss life over here in North America, though.

hook it up! my dream is to work in hong kong
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 4one5

How easy is it to become a teacher in China? Ive heard of regular Americans going there to teach English.

My mom was a high school English teacher in Hong Kong in the early 90's.  From what she told me, it was pretty easy back then to get a teaching job as long as you had a college degree from America.  My moms majored in English, and she said teaching over there is VERY stressful.  Students are obviously not headcases or as rebellious as the ones in America
laugh.gif
, but since education is such an influence in the lives of the folks over there, you have to spend a lot of time at home, after class, preparing for the next lesson or grading papers.  The pay is great, though.

Then you have to factor in adjusting to the lifestyle over there...

My homeboy's wife got a teaching job in Abu Dhabi. It's probably one of the best things to him for them. He ended up getting a job at a well known hotel because he had an audio engineering(something like that0 certificate. Dude gets paid $30k untaxed.

Been working in Korea for the past 5 years. I guess with the state of the economy in the US, more and more people are looking for jobs outside the country. Just remember, it is not as easy as you think especially if you are going alone. If you are married, it is easier because you have someone there going through the process with you. Just getting adjusted to the new country, their way of doing things, dealing with their attitude toward foreigners, etc... is not easy. You have to have thick skin and be open to experience new things.

I should have planned things differently. I would have moved to Puerto Rico or the DOminican in a heart beat. Im dying inside living in the US, Im bored with shopping and eating. Everyone needs adventure, do it OP

i would no doubt. i wouldnt go without something lined up tho, but it cant be any harder than finding work stateside.....

Originally Posted by DaeWing

Been working in Korea for the past 5 years. I guess with the state of the economy in the US, more and more people are looking for jobs outside the country. Just remember, it is not as easy as you think especially if you are going alone. If you are married, it is easier because you have someone there going through the process with you. Just getting adjusted to the new country, their way of doing things, dealing with their attitude toward foreigners, etc... is not easy. You have to have thick skin and be open to experience new things.
just curious, what do you do?

my brother moved to Korea for work about 5+ years ago.  That fool is never coming back.  He loves it there.  Are you Korean or some other ethnicitiy?  Was it any easier or harder being Korean (or not Korean) and moving there?

europe is dope, better than america in my opinion. probably once i sell my GTR i will plan on moving out their or maybe ill just get a vacation home out their not sure yet.

anyways if you move to europe just make sure not to look to american because they hate tourists over there. im hispanic so i fit in i guess but when i was little i went over to italy with my family and my parents friends family and my friends family got kicked out of almost every store we went to just because they where american. i went recently a year ago with my girl and no one bugged her so idk maybe its cuz their fam was white, overweight , etc and me and my girl aren't haha idk but yeah if you ever have the chance to travel as a career hop on it. im lucky enough where i work online so i can live wherever in the world and stack racks.

i'd recommend italy, spain (barcelona ), greece or germany . i recommend these places based on i've visted them several times

I would do it in a heartbeat. It would have to be a major city, but yea. It'll also help your resume tremendously.

Back
Top Bottom