Wrestling Thread Jan 19-Feb: 1/29 LIVE Smackdown 8pm et - Bryan v Kane Casket Match

You really think Patera should be in the HOF?..I know that being a Patera mark is your gimmick, but I don't get where you're coming from..Give me some info to convince me..

from the late '70's to the early '80's, a sacred time in wrestling, patera had arguably the best heel run of any wrestler

he had brand recognition as well

i'd put him in the same league as kurt angle

from the late '70's to the early '80's, a sacred time in wrestling, patera had arguably the best heel run of any wrestler

he had brand recognition as well

i'd put him in the same league as kurt angle

Umm, yeah, I'm not convinced..And there's no way that Patera had a better heel run during that time than Harley Race or Ric Flair..

fans back then had ken patera posters on their wall (dude i worked with years ago used to lift back in the 70's & he had a patera poster, not arnold he told me on his wall)

like i said, because of the weightlifting - he was well known, more so than flair, race or bockwinkle outside wrestling

if wrestling had all the merchandise like now or even like the late '80s'....patera would have been even bigger

anyone that read flair's book knows pateras place in flairs career as well

if it wasn't decided than backlund would have an ultra extended run...patera was probably first in line as a quick heel champ, (until muraco's int run)

he may have wrestled andre more than anyone else, oh word, its true

as far as the wrestling in ring, the vids i've posted speak for themselves

Last edited:
the rason patera isn't in is perhaps the smae reason savage was kept out, there is beef with mcmahon

patera didn't agree with backlunds extended run as champ & thought mcmahon stabbed him in the back when he did that mcdonalds bid
mcmahon also always thought patera was an underachiever

patera should have washed vince on camera back in the day when he had a chance!

fans back then had ken patera posters on their wall (dude i worked with years ago used to lift back in the 70's & he had a patera poster, not arnold he told me on his wall)

like i said, because of the weightlifting - he was well known, more so than flair, race or bockwinkle outside wrestling

if wrestling had all the merchandise like now or even like the late '80s'....patera would have been even bigger

anyone that read flair's book knows pateras place in flairs career as well

if it wasn't decided than backlund would have an ultra extended run...patera was probably first in line as a quick heel champ, (until muraco's int run)

he may have wrestled andre more than anyone else, oh word, its true

as far as the wrestling in ring, the vids i've posted speak for themselves

Bro, you've officially drank the Kool-Aid..I'm not denying Patera was a popular wrestler..And I've read Flair's book and know he had very good things to say..But almost getting a title run and wrestling Andre a bunch (I doubt he was Andre's most wrestled with opponent) doesn't make you a legend, or influential, or a HOF'er..I mean honestly, how many wrestlers do you know of that have said "Man if it wasn't for seeing that 1 Ken Patera match I'd never have gotten into the sport"?..

Bro, you've officially drank the Kool-Aid..I'm not denying Patera was a popular wrestler..And I've read Flair's book and know he had very good things to say..But almost getting a title run and wrestling Andre a bunch (I doubt he was Andre's most wrestled with opponent) doesn't make you a legend, or influential, or a HOF'er..I mean honestly, how many wrestlers do you know of that have said "Man if it wasn't for seeing that 1 Ken Patera match I'd never have gotten into the sport"?..

standards are different for the older school than the more recent title switching era

"Man if it wasn't for seeing that [wrestler] match I'd never have gotten into the sport" - maybe a handful of the hofers could claim that really, very few

and being popular is one of the key ingredients to get in if not the most important

Both bryan and reigns looked strong to end smackdown. It's up in the air at this point and I kinda like not knowing. $ is on bryan tho.

I hate the word swag, but jesus, the Nation just poured all kinds of it :lol:

Last edited:
standards are different for the older school than the more recent title switching era

"Man if it wasn't for seeing that [wrestler] match I'd never have gotten into the sport" - maybe a handful of the hofers could claim that really, very few

and being popular is one of the key ingredients to get in if not the most important

1- I agree that frequent title changes are a new trend (One that, I bet, you and I both hate), but between WWWF, NWA, and AWA you'd think if he was as great as you say he'd had at least 1 transitional title run, ala: Race, Flair, Sheik, Rich, Rogers, Koloff, Slaughter, and Dusty..

2- I would argue that most HOF'ers can claim that they've had a match that has influenced a person to become a pro wrestler..

3- I really can't argue that point..I just don't really think Patera was ever "the guy"..Not saying he wasn't popular, cause I always liked him and knew who he was, but I don't think he's as popular as you want him to be..

It broke my heart as a kid when Triple H pedigreed X-Pac at WrestleMania 15, costing him his match with Shane :smh:

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but how short sighted is the booking?

Team Cena wins at Survivor Series meaning the Authority faction is gone. Within a month the Authority are back. They fire Cena's team and within two weeks they are back again. So in six weeks they have gone completely full circle and are back where they were in November.

For a company that is apparently a "machine", how come the storylines are such a mess.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but how short sighted is the booking?

Team Cena wins at Survivor Series meaning the Authority faction is gone. Within a month the Authority are back. They fire Cena's team and within two weeks they are back again. So in six weeks they have gone completely full circle and are back where they were in November.

For a company that is apparently a "machine", how come the storylines are such a mess.

Vince is out of touch/old/un-motivated and is just on auto-pilot with the Cena status quo until he croaks. Sure, he's the mind behind the brand, but his best days are clearly long gone, which is why the only interesting thing they can do is constantly bringing back legends and talk about the Monday Night Wars.

And poor Boss Barrett is just jobbing left and right. Why do we continue to torture ourselves with this mess??

Impatiently waits for Deep Sea Mewtwo's rant about expanding ones wrestling horizons and venturing out

And poor Boss Barrett is just jobbing left and right. Why do we continue to torture ourselves with this mess??

Impatiently waits for Deep Sea Mewtwo's rant about expanding ones wrestling horizons and venturing out

Of all the companies out there, I was always invested in WWE. I don't know why but their stories hooked me in. I can't even remember the best TNA storyline that I had watched. For some reason, I find it really difficult to get into another promotion's storyline. I like promos, skits, all that silly ****. Do other companies do that? The actual wrestling doesn't mean much if there's no story to back it up.

Max's cheesesteaks in North Philly but you gotta tread lightly around there seeing as it's kind of the hood.  John's Roast Pork is the best cheesesteak in South Philly but they're only open til about 4.  Fat Joe's isn't too far from there.  Pat's and Geno's are only bad because of the choices around the city.  Ishkabibble's and Jim's are right across the street from each other on South St.  Experiment and decide for yourself.

Overall cheesesteak rankings:
1. John's Roast Pork
2. Max's
3. Cosmi's (around the corner from Pat's and Geno's)(they also make a good hoagie)
4. Ishkabibble's (best chicken cheesesteak by a mile)
5. Jim's

Honorable mention:
Dalessandro's (never been but I've heard great things)
Dinic's in the Reading Terminal (get the roast pork)
Campos

Misc.
Fette Sau- BBQ, craft beer, and whiskey

Alla Spina- craft beer and lots of pork

Han Dynasty
Reading Terminal- Amish breakfast is the truth

Federal Donuts- fried chicken and donuts

Barcarde- craft beer and old school video games

Frankford Hall- beer garden/ping pong

Standard Tap- bar

Capogiro- GREAT gilato

Green Eggs Cafe- brunch. get the red velvet pancakes
Franklin Fountain- Best ice cream in the world
Chickie and Pete's- bar next to the sports complex

Oh and if you like the thick chicks that are in music videos then Onyx would be a worthy after hours spot.  It's close to the stadiums.  Ask for the chick that does the water bottle trick.

I was gonna mention a hood spot but its not anywhere near the Wells Fargo Center. (Ill always call it CoreStates or the Spectrum, hahaha) Moffins by Temple University Hospital is the truth. Dont like taking people to Genos or Pats, but when I do, usually prefer Geno's steaks and Pat's fries.

If you're in Philly early, might as well hit the Reading Terminal Market and the above places mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom