Wrestling Thread Jan 4-10 | Missed TNA iMPACT on Monday? Replay on Spike Thurs 9pm ET

4b38524a08b59.jpg

times3.jpg

Tonight is a night wrestling fans like myself have been looking forward to since the WWE bought WCW back in 2001. No, it's not the official return of theMonday Night Wars, but it does mark the first serious wrestling competition to the WWE in a almost NINE years. TNA iMPACT will run a live three hour showtonight for the first time in their history. No, they will not beat Raw in the ratings. I would be surprised if they even do half of Raw's rating sinceI'm guessing the WWE will do a 4+ tonight. However, that isn't the point. The point is that wrestling fans finally have a choice on Monday night. Wehave the opportunity to let the WWE know we are tired of the crap they have been producing for so long. We're tired of Hornswoggle. We're tired ofDX. We're tired of Cena. We're tired of the same main events at every single PPV. We're tired of Michael Cole. We're tired of the comedyskits. Yes, TNA has many, many flaws of their own, but tonight is their chance to start anew.

TNA has made a few blips on WWE's radar in the past. They've signed wrestlers such as Kurt Angle, Sting, Christian, Mick Foley, Tazz, and some otherlesser known names. However, none of those men have been able to help TNA break through to the mainstream. But tonight could be different. Say what you wantabout the man, and I am not a fan in the least bit, but Hulk Hogan is arguably the biggest name in pro wrestling history and lends instant credibility (I neverthought I'd use Hogan and credibility in the same sentence) to the company. And if Hogan brings some of his friends with him (ie Ric Flair, Rob Van Dam,and others), along with other names rumored to be joining the company such as Jeff Hardy and Paul Heyman, it may finally be what it takes for the WWE to payattention to the little number two promotion down in Orlando.

However, while reports are that the WWE isn't taking TNA as a serious threat tonight, their actions say otherwise. First, in what is by far the biggestname guest host they have had thus far (at least in a wrestling perspective), they have brought back Bret "The Hitman" Hart for his first on-airappearance in over 12 years with the WWE. Bret Hart will be the guest host tonight, but he has also signed a short-term contract with the WWE that runsthrough WrestleMania. The strongest rumor going around right now is that he will face Vince McMahon in a grudge match street fight at WrestleMania 26, butthere are many different ways they can go. When Vince is in charge, it's way too early to guess what is going to happen tomorrow, no less three monthsfrom now.

In addition to Bret Hart's return, D-Generation X will defend their tag team titles against Chris Jericho and The Big Show tonight in their firstlegitimate rematch. If Jerishow loses, Chris Jericho will be off Raw FOREVER!!! (heh). The new Hart Foundation has also been called to be on tonight'sshow, so it will be interesting to see what role they play. Finally, Melina tore up her knee last week and will be out of action for some time and will beforced to drop the title. The prevailing thought is Maryse will take the title tonight, but they may choose to give it to another face first and then haveMaryse beat her down the line. Regardless, it's always nice to have Maryse on the screen.

Let's not forget that The Royal Rumble is later this month, so the WWE will need to begin building the show.

The WWE has also reportedly gone to the USA Network and requested approval for a 20 minute runover tonight, of course to combat TNA's main event. It willbe nice to have a legitimate main event on Raw that lasts longer than five minutes.

TNA has been very secretive about what they have planned for tonight. There are many, many rumors flying around, but for now I will just focus on what we doknow. Hulk Hogan will make his TNA debut (or return depending on how you look at it) tonight. A Steel Cage Asylum match was just announced. And twoKnockouts matches have been announced. For The Knockouts Championship: Tara defends against ODB and for the Knockouts Tag Team Championship: Sarita and TaylorWilde defend against Awesome Kong and Hamada. Hogan's buddy, Bubba The Love Sponge, will also be on tonight's show in some form. Both Eric Bischoffand Vince Russo have promised big surprises tonight.

Like I said, let's no kid ourselves. TNA will not beat WWE in the ratings tonight, nor will they even come close. Dixie Carter has even acknowledgedthat. However, that's not the point. If tonight's TNA show is a success, there is a very good chance that TNA programming will become a permanentmainstay on Monday nights. The mighty WWE with their fan base, international resources, and most importantly, money, may be able to brush off TNA right now. However, by the end of 2010, I think we may once again see a legitmate professional wrestling (or sports entertainment) battle in North America. There is nodenying that 2009 was an awful year for major pro wrestling, but I really think 2010 may be able to wipe that bad taste from our mouths.

NEWS AND NOTES (MAY CONTAINER SPOILERS)

Detailed Report: Early Creative Plans For Wrestlemania 26
The Figure Four Weekly Newsletter has provided some new details concerning WWE's early plans for Wrestlemania 26. We have been reporting within the last several weeks that the creative team has several matches in the works, and the early plan is calling for The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho vs Edge (assuming Edge is ready to return), Randy Orton vs Ted DiBiase and Triple H vs Sheamus for The WWE Title. Additionally, it's being rumored that the creative team is discussing some type of match between Vince McMahon and Bret Hart, and it would most likely be a street fight of sorts where Hart would not have to take any big bumps.

For those of course wondering how John Cena will be involved in WrestleMania, creative is pushing hard to get The Rock to return for a big match against Cena at the PPV, but that's probably not going to happen. The backup plan at this point is to have an inter-promotional match between Cena and Batista.

Late Breaking News: Former WWE World Champion To Debut On iMPACT Tonight [MAJOR SPOILERS]
According to a report on ProWrestling.net, Jeff Hardy has arrived at the Impact Zone in Orlando and will be making his official TNA return during tonight's Steel Asylum match on the three-hour special edition of Impact on Spike TV.

Scott Hall/Sean Waltman To TNA, Flair Update,More
As Jan. 4 approaches, a source told WrestleZone.com that TNA has reached an agreement with Scott Hall and Sean Waltman to work on a "pay as you play" basis. No long-term contracts will be signed; Hall and Waltman will be employed as long as their performance and off-screen behavior warrants. TNA reportedly sees Hall and Waltman as short-term hires even in the best of scenarios.

TNA is also pushing hard to sign Jeff Hardy and Ric Flair before Jan. 4. Hardy, of course, is still dealing with legal matters stemming from his September drug bust. Flair, meanwhile, would be involved in a three-way "icons" program with Hulk Hogan and Sting if he signs with TNA. The actual ring time of all three would be very limited.

Most of the contracts of TNA's incoming big names, such as Hogan and Flair, will reportedly be guaranteed by Panda Energy.

Former Knockout Back with TNA
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that former TNA Knockouts Champion Angelina Love (Lauren Williams) has signed a new deal with TNA Wrestling to make her official return to the company. While not confirmed, it is possible she will make her return during this Monday's big three-hour Impact. Williams parted ways with the company back in September over issues with her work visa.

Heyman To TNA?
TSC Exclusive: Huge Names to Debut on TNA Monday Night Special | TheSportsCourier.com

TSC Exclusive: Huge Names to Debut on TNA Monday Night Special
Submitted by Fred Richani on Fri, 01/01/2010 - 06:59
in

If you thought Bret Hart was a huge deal for WWE, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

According to our source, in addition to Scott Hall signing the dotted line in time for TNA's Monday Night Impact special on January 4, it has been confirmed that there will be at least a few more big names joining him.

There is a 95% that former WWE superstar Ken "Mr. Kennedy" Anderson will make his TNA debut this Monday night. Before you discredit this source, think about it. Anderson has been relatively quiet. He took some Nu-Wrestling Evolution and Hulkamania Tour international bookings, but has not popped up much, if at all stateside in a wrestling capacity. Anderson even said on his Twitter that he wasn't a free agent. This was in response to a fan mentioning he was "the hottest free agent in wrestling."

Could he have meant that he was focusing on his acting career?

Yes.

However, last time I checked, Anderson wasn't getting employed at the rate of a Steve Austin or Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

As previously mentioned, Scott Hall is practically a lock to appear, as is the former X-Pac, Sean Waltman. More than likely, Hall and Waltman will reunite with....you guessed it-Kevin Nash, to relive their New World Order (NWO) glory days.

Former WWE/ECW Champion Rob Van Dam has about a 70% chance of showing up. RVD wants to work a light schedule, which TNA can provide and remember, the dude is tight with Hulk Hogan, who will definitely make his Impact debut on Monday.

Here's the real bombshell. We are told there is a 75% chance, if not better, that former ECW owner, WWE manager/commentator, and creative genius Paul Heyman will debut for TNA on Monday night. In fact, it is believed that he may be the first person you see on your television screen, assuming the now non-WWE contracted Shane McMahon doesn't decide to take a stroll (now that would freeze hell over) to Orlando, Florida.

On a side note, if Heyman does debut for TNA on Monday night, it further pieces everything together. RVD and Anderson did the Hulkamania Tour. RVD is tight with Hogan. Heyman is loyal to Anderson and RVD. Heyman can provide the creativity and sense that has been lacking in TNA's booking for quite some time.

And here's some food for thought. Tommy Dreamer left WWE's ECW brand. He is actually not contracted by WWE anymore. In fact, he can't appear on television for a major promotion until a designated 90-day period ends. I ask you readers this.

Who said Dreamer would go to TNA as a wrestler?

If Heyman shocks the world Monday night, expect Dreamer to be backstage and involved in some creative/road agent capacity in the very near future (aka a non-televised/non-active wrestling role).

Lastly, we were told that none of us should be surprised if Booker T returns to Raw this Monday night for WWE, as a way of Vince McMahon letting TNA know "I won't acknowledge you, but I know you're there."

[Editor's Note: Booker T told me in our interview with him last month that he would be on tour in Puerto Rico early January, so take the above statement for what it's worth.]

Hulk Hogan seems to be doing what he's said since joining TNA: I'm shaking things up.

Rob Van Dam Will NOT be on TNA Tonight
The following is an excerpt from the latest blog from RobVanDam.com, the official website of RVD:

Happy New Year everybody. This is the time to make resolutions that you can put off over the weekend, start on Monday and keep for about 2 weeks. Ahhh, holiday traditions! The wrestling business is exciting for the first time in quite awhile. This Monday kicks off the new ratings war between WWE and TNA-like I have to tell you! I admit, I am interested in the hype. In fact, I feel like I'm involved with this new era just because of the ginormous rumors involving me and a return. I'm going to say this-even though I know it won't do much good-don't be mad at me that you tuned in to see your favorite wrestler and I wasn't there. I'm going to be watching with you.

Another Wrestler Set To Debut On Impact.
Former WWE star Brian Kendrick is expected to begin shortly with TNA. It's possible that he'll debut tonight inside the Steel Cage Asylum.

WWE Creative Team's Reaction To iMPACT!
The WWE creative team is reportedly not worried about this week's Monday TNA iMPACT! broadcast, but interested nonetheless in seeing what TNA cooks up.

Within WWE, some are baffled that the only two matches where the participants have been advertised ahead of time are the two women's bouts. In fact, some even joked that they should put Maryse on television each time a women's match airs to show that one WWE Diva can beat all of TNA's Knockouts combined in the ratings.

Major star returning to WWE tonight? Possible spoiler
The following are highlights from Jim Ross' latest blog post on his official website:

Randy Savage appearing on tonight's episode of Raw: "For some reason we have received many emails regarding a rumor that Randy Savage will be appearing on Raw Monday night in Dayton. I have no idea the origins of this particular rumor but I do know that this weekend the rumor mill seems to be working over time with a ton or rampant speculation. I have no idea who will or will not be appearing on Monday Night Raw but I am looking forward to it being a great show."

EVEN MORE LATE BREAKING NEWS

--While not 100% confirmed, expect Ric Flair on Impact tonight since he has been spotted in Charlotte last night at the airport waiting for a flight toOrlando. TNA is going to make a push to sign Jeff Hardy who is a free agent. Scott Hall and Sean Waltman are confirmed. Nick and Brooke Hogan are at the show,as is Jason Hervey, The Nasty Boys, Orlando Jordan, Sean Morley, Angelina Love and others.

--WWE contacted the USA Network asking for a long extension after 11 p.m. tonight, apparently asking to go until 11:20 p.m. The feeling is that there will bemore people watching wrestling tonight than any night in a long time, and that TNA will still have 1.0 to 1.5 million viewers with a show ending at 11 p.m. andif half of them switch to Raw when the show is over, they'll get a lot of new viewers to watch the final angle and boost the overall show rating

--TNA is doing a ton of Internet marketing with Vince Russo in particular. Russo said he's concerned for others in the company saying people's liveswill be changing and there will be house cleaning. He basically said the younger wrestlers had time to grow on "our watch," but they are no longer on"our watch." He wrote that TNA was always family to him. "No matter what any critic out there has ever said about us, we busted our butt everyweek and took great pride in what we did. But in this business, that just wasn't good enough."

--John Cena is not on Raw tonight as he's in Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl, which airs on FOX

--Tommy Dreamer was officially listed as being released from his contract on the WWE web site today. Dreamer had made the call on his own a few weeks ago andwas asked to come back for one last TV farewell this past Tuesday night.

--WWE officially announced that Melina had vacated her title and there will be an eight-woman tournament on the show tonight to crown a new champion.
--Backstage at TNA, the word is that they've talked Jeff Hardy into signing with the company.

--Hogan and Bubba ripped on Vince Russo on Bubba's show today. Hogan said he shook Russo's hand to set an example but Bubba kept ripping on him andHogan said "If Russo was such a great writer and knows the wrestling business, he better prove it or he's gone." Keep in mind the Hogan/Russostuff could easily be pure angle at this point given the parties involved.

wait, what? TNA's on Monday nights now or just for tonight? About time someone gave WWE a swift kick in the butt to step it up

Originally Posted by JayPesoz

wait, what? TNA's on Monday nights now or just for tonight? About time someone gave WWE a swift kick in the butt to step it up
For now, it's a one time thing, but there's a very good chance it becomes permanent.

Damn 4w, claiming your spot this week huh? Im not going to even guess what might happen tonight, just sit back with a bag of herb and enjoy.

eek.gif
SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME BRET'S ROLE... I have to worktonight, how limited/big is his role? He would DEF get me back into wrestling.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Originally Posted by JayPesoz

For now, it's a one time thing, but there's a very good chance it becomes permanent.
ah, gotcha'. Well, I haven't been this excited to watch wrestling since around '02 or so, so this should be good tonight....I hope

i don't see Bret making a big difference to be honest...it's been so long since he's been relevant so i don't see alot of the old fans comingback to watch Raw
i see TNA pulling maybe a 2 rating max

Originally Posted by Jetpacunlimited

eek.gif
SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME BRET'S ROLE... I have to work tonight, how limited/big is his role? He would DEF get me back into wrestling.

Bret is the special guest host of Raw tonight. However, he has signed a short-term contract with the WWE (through WrestleMania). Nothing is set as to how hewill be used, but right now the top rumor floating around is that he will face Vince McMahon at WrestleMania.

You know this is a big night, 4w starting the wrestling thread early.
laugh.gif

Didn't know you were a wrestling fan Nawth, your husband is a lucky man.
pimp.gif

I really hope TNA is successful on Mondays so that WWE stop putting out this garbage they do week in and week out.

Originally Posted by toine2983

You know this is a big night, 4w starting the wrestling thread early.
laugh.gif

Didn't know you were a wrestling fan Nawth, your husband is a lucky man.
pimp.gif

I really hope TNA is successful on Mondays so that WWE stop putting out this garbage they do week in and week out.

Well, he's the fan. I used to watch WWF (ahem) back in the day, 98-01 or so but nothing since then. I am partial to mma (pride, k1, that sort of thing)though
pimp.gif

wait, a female that likes pro wrestling, mma, and has 6k posts on nt? Not to sound like a typical nt`er but i needs pics because you are like 1 in 7 billion

sounds promising... supposedly scott hall, kevin nash & xpac are also gonna be on impact tonight..

Been watching a lot of Bret's matches lately, and the critics have a point about his in ring style, but Shawn as the total package that he is, what he didduring the attitude era wasn't worth losing Bret. Hindsight is 20/20 but Vince doesn't make that move if he knew what he knows now. Vince could havemade it work, I really don't know why for the long term he didn't try and make it work. On the other hand, there is a large part of me that thinks Bretwould have quit after Owen died.

If bret was still there, i doubt owen would have died. If you change one thing, you change everything.

Originally Posted by CelticsPride34

If bret was still there, i doubt owen would have died. If you change one thing, you change everything.
I definitely agree with this. Everything changes.

The only reason Owen was doing the Blue Blazer gimmick at the time of his death was because Vince McMahon put him in the doghouse for not participating in aDebra/Jeff Jarret/Owen love triangle. He didn't want his children to see him having an affair with another woman.

That doesn't happen if the Attitude Era never begins, and that never takes off like it did if it wasn't for Vince McMahon's super heel character.

Back
Top Bottom