You Can SAY There Isn't A Cultural Difference; But Why Is It.........

I got into this last time I ate with my friends in Portland. The waitress asked me how I wanted my steak and I said "well done" and she said "really? are you sure?" and kinda smirked at me. My friends pretty much sided with her, like I'd commited some kinda sin.
my thinking though is if its so "wrong" why even give me that option? cook it the way it tastes best.
it wasnt like it was a ribeye or filet mignon anyway and we definitely werent at Mortons.

Originally Posted by DaCitySlanga

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by DaCitySlanga

I dont want to get sick again.

I had e-coli before and its the WORST to get rid of. Therefore, I get steak well done.

So what if it takes the flavor, that is what steak sauce is for
[h1]Rare steak 'is safe to eat'[/h1]
[table][tr][td]
_40191385_steak_ap_203.jpg

Meat can become contaminated during the butchery process
[/td][/tr][/table]
Eating rare steak will not cause food poisoning if kitchen utensils used to cook it are kept clean, it is claimed.

University of Nottingham scientists spiked steak samples with E.coli bacteria, then cooked them rare.

The bacteria only survived where the steaks were touched by utensilsthat were not cleaned after being used to handle raw meat, researchersfound.

The study dispels the myth that eating rare steak is in itself unsafe, the Meat and Livestock Commission said.

The BBC's Nicola Carslaw

Recontamination

The tests, carried out on behalf ofthe commission, were designed to establish once and for all whetherserving rare steak posed a health risk.

To determine whetherfood poisoning bacteria could survive the cooking process, steaksamples taken from separate fillets were spiked with E.coli.

The bacteria, which are known to die at high temperatures, were still present in the samples even after cooking.

But it was found that the cells' survival was caused by recontaminationof the steaks during cooking, via the tongs used to turn them.
[table][tr][td]
_40191383_ecoli_vtff_203ok.jpg

Bacteria such as E.coli can cause food poisoning
[/td][/tr][/table]
Scientists then spiked more steaks and cooked them - but sterilisedthe tongs in ethanol between turns to ensure that the tongs could notrecontaminate the meat.

This time, no E.coli was detected.

The study concluded that rare steak can be produced safely providedthat food poisoning bacteria are not reintroduced by contaminatedutensils.

The Meat and Livestock Commission said there shouldno longer be any doubt over the safety of rare steak - a claimsupported by advice issued by the Food Standards Agency.

Itsguidelines state that whole cuts of meat, such as steaks, cutlets andjoints, are only ever contaminated by bacteria on the outside of themeat, which are destroyed during cooking even if the middle of the meatis pink, or rare.

In the case of minced-meat products such asburgers and sausages, bacteria are spread throughout the product duringmanufacture.

These products should be cooked until they arepiping hot throughout, with no pink meat left and any juices runningclear, it says.
The agency also stresses the importance ofkeeping utensils clean while cooking any type of meat, to ensure thatbacteria are not spread from raw to cooked foods.
Via BBC NEWS. (IMO more credible than any American outlet.)

Ive eaten my steak Rare to Mid Rare probably hundreds of times in my life and ive never been sick from it... I wont eat a steak from a place that has any sort of rep as being "unclean".

Well done steak is DRY, loses flavor, chewy etc... All around wasting a good cut of meat if you ask me.
Like I said, that is what Steak Sauce is for.

My Life>Some uncooked piece of cow

Will continue to eat it well done

If you're using steak sauce on a filet mignon, you're doing it wrong.

I can't imagine ordering a steak anything other than medium rare and nor did I know that there was a stereotype associated with it until a few months ago.

I didn't eat a lot of steak growing up and when I got to be an adult and started going out more, I ordered it medium rare because that's how the %$+@ looks in the commercials.
laugh.gif

But yeah,

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

My people take the L on this topic. One of the worst dietary decisions of all time. OF ALL TIME! *shrugs*
Medium rare steak > * and that goes for food in general.

if rare steak is SO delicious and flavorful, why even cook it at all?

I suppose we shouldnt put sugar in coffee/tea either as that probably ruins the taste too?

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

I can't even begin to understand why someone would eat steak tartare.
cause it tastes awesome.

i have no problem with people ordering their steak well done though. its all personal preference, not like i have to eat it or anything.

medium/medium well for me i wouldn't have it any other way.

I heard some where that you should only eat steak rare if it's grass fed only.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Originally Posted by bballah3

Do people that like their steaks well done really go to a place such as Mortons and request their steak that way?
Yes.

The only thing I like pink is {()}

This.
@!@* wit that bloody buffoonery lotta you NTers eat
sick.gif

well done>
I go to mortons steakhouse and order well done all the time and the waitress looks at me like 
indifferent.gif
and i look at her like
grin.gif
I always walk out of there with a full stomach and with my head up high. And it's always juicy and tender
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by letsgetit22

well done>
I go to mortons steakhouse and order well done all the time and the waitress looks at me like 
indifferent.gif
and i look at her like
grin.gif
I always walk out of there with a full stomach and with my head up high. And it's always juicy and tender
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I like it pink but not mooing, medium is usually pretty good. black and blue makes me want to hork

thytkerjobs wrote:

i like my steak medium. when i worked at red lobster and asked "garden salad or caesar?" i could easily predict the answer.
hmm, i haven't heard this before...what's the general preference?

Spoiler [+]
i'm black, and i like caesar.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

i like my steak medium. when i worked at red lobster and asked "garden salad or caesar?" i could easily predict the answer.
hmm, i haven't heard this before...what's the general preference? i'm black and i like caesar.

-waystinthyme

Black= lemme get that caesar, baby girl
White= i would favor the garden salad, ma'am thank you
I like it pink but not mooing, medium is usually pretty good. black and blue makes me want to hork
word usage, i love it
laugh.gif

Ive never even had a steak that was below well-done. Growing up my parents would refuse to pay for it because they always assumed I would get food poisoning.
So I just went free steak> steak I had to pay for.

Now Im thinking Ive been losing every time I picked up that fork.
tired.gif

I always order well-done steak but that article by BBC that was posted may make me start ordering my steaks medium well. I always thought that the people that go less than well done were just willing to take bigger risks. I didn't know the whole "bacteria on the outside" info and how in ground beef, the bacteria is all throughout so it needs to be cooked all the way through.

Back
Top Bottom