You know what, #%@! Chick-Fil-A!

im just tired of people using Christianity to define a marriage.

Christianity isn't discriminating against people from being married, the government is.

via a religious belief, hence the blur between church and state.

I'm so ashamed... :smh:

Blacks fighting for rights to be looked upon as human instead of livestock from slavery ≠ same sex marriage

you're right but stating the obvious no? it would be stupid to compare the trans atlantic slave trade to gays being able to apply for a marriage license. anyone who does that is pretty stupid honestly. thats like comparing the Dark Knight killings to the holocaust. but the way i see it, you can draw obvious similarities to the civil rights blacks fought for in the 50/60s as what gays are fighting for now. i wouldn't be able to be with my gf who is white, 50 yrs ago. so in this regard, those blacks up there in that pic are setting me back.

all they want is to be able to apply for a marriage license. that is all. marriage license=$$ and cities like nyc and boston who have legalized it are racking in so much $$ you would think that more cities/states would be quick to jump in on this :smh:.

I'm so ashamed... 
mean.gif
Blacks fighting for rights to be looked upon as human instead of livestock from slavery ≠ same sex marriage
Yeah, how dare a group of people that endured their fair share of injustice seek to delegitimize the rights to equal access to the law for others. 

These jokers dont care about that- because the media didn't tell them to do it (and the media wouldn't, believe that)
Yeah! How dare people address one injustice at a time. 

Stupid Sheeple!
Weakest response I've ever seen from you, you must be feeling unsure of yourself
Are you sure you don't wanna ask why we're not increasing aid to Palestine too?

I'm sure there is some other cause you can come up with to delegitimize the current topic, right? 

Hey, did you know the Koch Brothers are funding super-pacs? Better get on that one!

Oh, and nobody gives a damn about the Chick Fil A situation anymore now- the Olympics are whats hot now. After the closing ceremonies, people and the news will move on to something else to distract you. The people that really do fight for equal rights and have that as their cause will continue, but the other 90% involved only cared because it was the thing to do for a week
You're assuming 90% of blacks participated in marches too.

Whats your point? The people that fight would have and will continue to do so anyways. Those that are apathetically in support will just lazily take on their new rights on the backs of those who are fighting to do so.

Spain, Argentina, and Portugal are heavily Catholic and gay marriage is legal there. The ban on gay marriage has nothing to do with religion no matter how much the media tries to spin it. It benefits both political parties if it is illegal. Why? Whether if you are for it or against it, it can be used in a campaign, it can be helped for fundraising, ect.

Oh, and nobody gives a damn about the Chick Fil A situation anymore now- the Olympics are whats hot now. After the closing ceremonies, people and the news will move on to something else to distract you. The people that really do fight for equal rights and have that as their cause will continue, but the other 90% involved only cared because it was the thing to do for a week
You're assuming 90% of blacks participated in marches too.

Whats your point? The people that fight would have and will continue to do so anyways. Those that are apathetically in support will just lazily take on their new rights on the backs of those who are fighting to do so.
I was only talking equal rights for gay people, and no I'm not assuming that- thats just you putting words in my mouth like always. You'll get away with what you can for your own benefit, this we know. Many black people (who are obviously for equal rights as far as race/color) dont give two craps about gay rights, and you know this my man. For the most part, its people that want equal rights, so long as THEY are equal (whatever effects them)- most dont really care about others
Well then, they're not equal, are they?

Spain, Argentina, and Portugal are heavily Catholic and gay marriage is legal there. The ban on gay marriage has nothing to do with religion no matter how much the media tries to spin it. It benefits both political parties if it is illegal. Why? Whether if you are for it or against it, it can be used in a campaign, it can be helped for fundraising, ect.

underlined statement intrigues me actually...care to get specific? examples? (srs, not trying ot be ahole).

the reason i say religion is because naysayers tend to argue that marriage should be between a man and a woman. their source to back this argument is generally the bible. there is no other reasoning given aside from this, which i think is pretty weak. the only general benefit i see from this being legalized is a financial gain. as i said cities/states can get a good economical boost by allowing gay populations to apply for and pay for marriage licenses. other than the morality of it all, there isn't any other reason i can think of to legalize it. Now you say both parties actually benefit from it being illegal...idk how to argue this since im awaiting a deeper explanation from you, but i want to point out if that were the case why would obama come out and say i think it should be legalized? why would the clintons publicly support it? and how can you argue against the economic benefits from legalizing it?

:wow: at spain argentina and portugal having it legal, mind blown.

underlined statement intrigues me actually...care to get specific? examples? (srs, not trying ot be ahole).
the reason i say religion is because naysayers tend to argue that marriage should be between a man and a woman. their source to back this argument is generally the bible. there is no other reasoning given aside from this, which i think is pretty weak. the only general benefit i see from this being legalized is a financial gain. as i said cities/states can get a good economical boost by allowing gay populations to apply for and pay for marriage licenses. other than the morality of it all, there isn't any other reason i can think of to legalize it. Now you say both parties actually benefit from it being illegal...idk how to argue this since im awaiting a deeper explanation from you, but i want to point out if that were the case why would obama come out and say i think it should be legalized? why would the clintons publicly support it? and how can you argue against the economic benefits from legalizing it?
:wow: at spain argentina and portugal having it legal, mind blown.

It benefits both parties being illegal the same way that abortion benefits both parties by being legal. Charges the base. Roe v Wade will NEVER be overturned, but it will continue to be a boogieman used by both the left and the right to get people to open their checkbooks and give during campaign season just to make sure this isn't the term when they finally get enough votes one way or the other to overturn it. By never making actual strides towards recognizing same sex marriage on a federal level it's always dangled in front of progressives to think that it's within our grasp to get it done, and the right can keep milking it for the "THIS IS GONNA BE IT" factor.

It benefits both parties being illegal the same way that abortion benefits both parties by being legal. Charges the base. Roe v Wade will NEVER be overturned, but it will continue to be a boogieman used by both the left and the right to get people to open their checkbooks and give during campaign season just to make sure this isn't the term when they finally get enough votes one way or the other to overturn it. By never making actual strides towards recognizing same sex marriage on a federal level it's always dangled in front of progressives to think that it's within our grasp to get it done, and the right can keep milking it for the "THIS IS GONNA BE IT" factor.

Yeah pretty much. I mean, abortion, gay marriage, ect. are very emotional issues. When Obama changed his mind on gay marriage, the first thing reported was the influx of contributions to his campaign.

I think the economics of marriage are very discriminatory. For example, people who get married and have kids are giving tax incentives, but what if someone decides on not getting married or have kids, why should they be penalized? Without the financial incentives, does the gay community really care? Not in my opinion. They would argue, "Well, what if my partner gets sick?". That's fine, write a power of attorney. So that argument doesn't hold water.

States and localities don't really make money off of licenses. It's just nickel and dime-ing, like parking tickets. Marriage licenses are just a common practice that has evolved only through the past 140-150 years that started out to prevent Blacks and White from being married. Plus, government isn't in the business to make money so there really isn't any "financial gain", ever. Think of the licenses as a tax with actually being a so called "tax". Governments charge **** to pay peoples pensions. It takes about 3-4 tax payers (sometimes more) to pay 1 pension of a government worker.

I think the economics of marriage are very discriminatory. For example, people who get married and have kids are giving tax incentives, but what if someone decides on not getting married or have kids, why should they be penalized? Without the financial incentives, does the gay community really care? Not in my opinion. They would argue, "Well, what if my partner gets sick?". That's fine, write a power of attorney. So that argument doesn't hold water.

This is why ULTIMATELY, I think marriage is a flawed concept in a modern and progressive society, BUT if we're going to promote marriage AND monogamous unions as the sole method to obtain these rights as a single package (your power of attorney concept would force you to do paperwork for every little thing whereas marriage is just one) then gays should still have that right as well. 

Calling them "civil unions" is the same as the "separate but equal"

States and localities don't really make money off of licenses. It's just nickel and dime-ing, like parking tickets. Marriage licenses are just a common practice that has evolved only through the past 140-150 years that started out to prevent Blacks and White from being married. Plus, government isn't in the business to make money so there really isn't any "financial gain", ever. Think of the licenses as a tax with actually being a so called "tax". Governments charge **** to pay peoples pensions. It takes about 3-4 tax payers (sometimes more) to pay 1 pension of a government worker.
New York (state) generated 250MM+ in one year alone from marriage licenses and related events. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...rriage-million-economic-impact_n_1699089.html

New York (state) generated 250MM+ in one year alone from marriage licenses and related events. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...rriage-million-economic-impact_n_1699089.html
NY is in $315 Billion in debt. $250 Million is hardly a dent.
And Reagan raised the debt ceiling. 
eyes.gif

The world turns.

You said they aren't making money, but they are with gay marriages. Your argument wasn't that gay marriage would save the world economy. Even if it doesn't buy an iPad for every family, it still doesn't change the fact that a segment of the population gained equal rights under the law. 

And Reagan raised the debt ceiling. :rolleyes

The world turns.

You said they aren't making money, but they are with gay marriages. Your argument wasn't that gay marriage would save the world economy. Even if it doesn't buy an iPad for every family, it still doesn't change the fact that a segment of the population gained equal rights under the law. 

When you are $315 billion in debt, you aren't making money.

3rd time I've heard this by 3 different people. :nerd:

And Reagan raised the debt ceiling. 
eyes.gif

The world turns.

When you are $315 billion in debt, you aren't making money.
I wasn't looking to use gay marriage as a pillar of the economy and you're making it seem like pursuing it would invalidate the legitimacy of the argument either way. 

We're talking about legal access to rights. I don't see you complaining about paying for the tag on your license every year. 

I wasn't looking to use gay marriage as a pillar of the economy and you're making it seem like pursuing it would invalidate the legitimacy of the argument either way. 

We're talking about legal access to rights. I don't see you complaining about paying for the tag on your license every year. 

Well, you were trying to say that it is a "revenue generator" and it isn't.

Why do I have to pay for a tag on my license every year? I own a lawn mower that has wheels and a motor. That doesn't need a tag. Just an excuse for the State to keep track of you.

Well, you were trying to say that it is a "revenue generator" and it isn't.

Why do I have to pay for a tag on my license every year? I own a lawn mower that has wheels and a motor. That doesn't need a tag. Just an excuse for the State to keep track of you.
Son, it MAKES MONEY...

Does it make enough money to pay for everyones dinner? No, but for you to say that it makes nothing is an asinine comment. 

Thats $250MM+ MORE than the state of New York had than one year ago. Now its not "enough" because of a deficit.

You'll do anything to trivialize the legitimacy of an argument when you don't have a dog in the fight.

I guess hosting little league tournaments or allowing conventions in smaller NY towns should be overlooked because they're not leading towards NY breaking even. 
eyes.gif

What a RIDICULOUS series of comments from you. 

1st Ammendment rights > anything else.

even if you dont agree, how can you say they arent allowed to voice their opinion?

such a paradox. gay community wants to be heard , but wants to silence others that dont support them?

que?

Son, it MAKES MONEY...

Does it make enough money to pay for everyones dinner? No, but for you to say that it makes nothing is an asinine comment. 

Thats $250MM+ MORE than the state of New York had than one year ago. Now its not "enough" because of a deficit.

You'll do anything to trivialize the legitimacy of an argument when you don't have a dog in the fight.

I guess hosting little league tournaments or allowing conventions in smaller NY towns should be overlooked because they're not leading towards NY breaking even. :rolleyes

I sure hope you don't balance a checkbook or manage accounts the same way the State of NY or the U.S. Treasury does for that matter.

Man... I dont wanna live no more... people getting mad because of this? people comparing this to racism? i dont even know what to say no more man..

This should not be a double standard for all u out there though, if you have no problem with Frank Ocean being homosexual but appreciate his music, then appreciate this companies food with out acting like you are the definition of freedom and liberalism, just because you dont buy chicken. you guys are lame.

Man... I dont wanna live no more... people getting mad because of this? people comparing this to racism? i dont even know what to say no more man..

This should not be a double standard for all u out there though, if you have no problem with Frank Ocean being homosexual but appreciate his music, then appreciate this companies food with out acting like you are the definition of freedom and liberalism, just because you dont buy chicken. you guys are lame.
The food isn't the issue, its the company.
Son, it MAKES MONEY...

I guess hosting little league tournaments or allowing conventions in smaller NY towns should be overlooked because they're not leading towards NY breaking even. 
eyes.gif

I sure hope you don't balance a checkbook or manage accounts the same way the State of NY or the U.S. Treasury does for that matter.
and I hope you don't turn to selling lemonade thinking its going to get the US's AAA Moody's rating back. 
roll.gif

1st Ammendment rights > anything else.

even if you dont agree, how can you say they arent allowed to voice their opinion?

such a paradox. gay community wants to be heard , but wants to silence others that dont support them?

que?
The "gay community" doesn't want to silence anyone, they just want the same rights. 

Back
Top Bottom