Young professionals moving to a new city...

Just seeking advice, just speak on your experience in general. How did you come along, things to expect, ect. I'm just looking to align my own expectationsw/ what you guys have already experienced.

Haven't been in the situation yet but I know once I graduate imma be faced with it since my field isn't too popular around here. I think imma be homesick and have culture shock especially if it's like NY or ATL, but at the same time it might be an experience of a lifetime. Hopefully it all works out andI adjust accordingly. But I too would like to hear some stories.

Sometimes its tough, but I had to make moves. It was gettin hot out there. I was on the come up, up and coming. I adjusted to the streets and i aint havenothin or noone, so i had to be about myself

i moved down to manhattan for 6 months for my first co-op in college (northeastern u. in boston) at age 20 and originally from providence, rhode island.
not too far away, far enough where i wasn't bothered, and close enough where the train/bus was always a good option.
probably the best learning/growning/maturing experience i have had in my life thus far. would not trade it for anything.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

i wanna hear some stories also...i plan on moving after graduation...
i have some stories but there not NT friendly.
If your planning to move, just make sure u have a connect on the outside, so when times get hard, you can rely on them

(when i say connect, i dont mean drug-related)

It is certainly a shakeup from whatever you are used to. For me, the biggest challenge was finding new folks to kick it with and not being able to see the famwhenever I wanted to. I think it takes a certain person to be able to just hop out of whatever situation they are in and move to a new city, with newsurroundings, with relatively few known people.

I'm in a situation right now where that is what I have to decide about. I live in Texas now and have the opportunity to work in New Jersey for the summer.I know I should do it, and likely will, but it is really scary.

I'm also worried about the whole meeting new people and having to make new friends in a place I'm so very unfamiliar. We'll see how it goes.

YO!
Sometimes its tough, but I had to make moves. It was gettin hot out there. I was on the come up, up and coming. I adjusted to the streets and i aint have nothin or noone, so i had to be about myself
You selling birds?

I really admire cats who can move to new cities. I'm a homer though. Haven't come up with a circumstance that would motivate me to leave Charlotte.DF!!!

I guarantee you NYfly1 If I come to your hood and ask about your connects/business

I'll be
roll.gif
off when they say he's the kid who wants to buy $30pendants on ebay.

Originally Posted by haiti5

^u still tryin to come to chi?
yep...thinkin of plannin a trip out there this summer to check it out...only thing i'm worried about is the winter...

I'm movin' to a new city but my family will be there
laugh.gif
Still, I'll probably face the same social issues ya'll have cuz none of my friendswill be in the area I'm moving to.

After a year tho, I'll be out the house and on my own. I'm tryna live in a fly loft downton, ya dig?
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Plus, the real estate in Dallas is CRACKprices compared to D.C, N.Y and L.A
smh.gif

Make friends @ work.

Edit: Join like an intramural league that your employer participates in..That's what my sis did when she moved away and she has been good ever since.

^

Given that I'm about to be a teacher....that doesn't sound too appealing. Eh, maybe I'll meet some teachers that are as trill as me tho
pimp.gif
ohwell.gif

Dam, that sounded corny as hail

Well my experience was when I graduated high school I joined the army..they moved to a little hick town in north carolina(fayetteville)..it was perfect for metho,because it was 3 hours away from the house so it was close but not too close..I really grew,and learned to appreciate the ville..ill admit,finding peoplewith my own interest was a challenge,but eventually things fell into place,and I got out the army last month,and even though im enjoying being back in va,Imiss the ville already..

last year i made the move from houston, tx to salt lake city, ut. i know utah
eek.gif
. its really not that bad though. i've moved around so much coming up this was just another place for me. it also helped that i hang out w/co-workers close to my age. it was really not a bad transitition at all.

hitting clubs and doing other things on weekends, you meet other people as well.

Moved from NY to Oregon back in August 2007.

It took some adjustments, but I'm networked pretty well now.

I lucked out and had 2 friends that live here, but they're both in a different social circles than I am.

Find people at work to connect with; go out to bars during Happy Hour to politic/network.

I had to leave my comfort zone, but I'd say it's been working well for me.

Graduation in May, schools done in June and my least is up July 31st..really trying to decide if I wanna leave RI and apply to grad programs elsewhere or what.I think the general concensus (meaning the million tmes I've played this scenario in my head) has been to leave. I've got fam in NC, VA and GA soI'm thinking of starting there so there will be help around if needed...

i want to move west, dont know where i was thinking lake tahoe would be nice. if i stick with the company i am with now i am pretty much guaranteed a job inany major city.

See I've moved from Austin to San Antonio (an hr away) last summer, but moving all the way across the country is huge. I'll lose my mind the firstmonth there
laugh.gif

I been thinking about the move too. But its so hard seeing as "I'm So Saint Louis" the adjustmentwould be crazy hard to get used to. Even tho its boring at times home is home. But I kinda wanna West/East coast it for a few years and see what its like in amore Lively city.

Iam from DC and, at 20 (2005) I wasnt in school nor did I have any kind of job. So I decided to join to Air Force, after training I was stationed in Las Vegas(Nellis AFB) and this place was a pretty big culture shock for me. Its true that this city never sleeps its always something goin on here, plus gangs are nojoke here. Iam a easy going guy so its safe to say, Vegas aint the place for me. I got a few good friends here though so it aint too bad. But yea at work iswhere you will find most of your friends, thats where I found mine. I'll be goin back to DMV at the end of the year.

I moved to NJ (Philly metro area) a couple months ago for my first "real" job, so I'm a 5 hour drive away from home. I didn't know anyonebefore I moved & have only met a few people. My job isn't very diverse (extremely disappointing w/Philly nearby), doesn't do happyhour (I'm not a drinker . . . no specific reason why I don't drink, but I wouldn't mind happy hour), & doesn't have sporting teams or othergroups. I'm not exactly thrilled w/my job situation, which makes the adjustment harder. I'd like to go out & venture around Philly (I did initiallywhen I first got to the area), but honestly on the weekends I stay at home thrilled that no one will bother me. And I like to drive, but not for 5 hours soI've been home once to get some stuff I left behind.

Overall I thought moving to a new area would be the hardest part, but if I worked at a place I loved & was passionate about what I do it would make this somuch easier because I don't have a problem w/the overall area. I would advise looking into getting a roommate (which is what I did, & she's prettycool). My thinking was that if the job situation didn't work out & I didn't want to stay in the area I wouldn't be breaking a lease. I alsohave an overall idea of where I want to move/not move because I've been in the area for a couple months now. It's one thing to be told about differentareas during the interview process or drive around on a weekend before you move, but it's not enough to get a feel for different areas.

Back
Top Bottom