Your XXL 2017 Freshman Class

But to be completely honest, those wierdo rappers appeal to white folk which is why they're so successfull. I wouldn't say it's solely a youth thing.
Clear as day

Ehh....it's 2017. All them street ****** ya'll talking about have a plethora of white fans too. 

I can randomly look up 100 instagram accounts of white boys taking selfies with a double cup and 30 clip talking about they "smoking" somebody's dead homie. They are the main consumers financially of rap music. YFN Lucci wants to sell his music to white kids just as much as XXXTentacion does. And they're going to listen to whatever we do anyway. 

There is a subculture of "internet ******" that is comprised of virtually ALL kids....black, white whatever. And THAT'S who the XXX, Carti, Ugly God, type dudes are plugged into...and that's exactly why the corporations are putting their money behind these kids. 

"Festivals".  That alone is proving what we were saying.  XXL is for a different demographic now.  The Soundcloud generation.  Its not for the people who hit clubs, Memorial Weekend, Birthday Bash, car shows, get b*****s
laugh.gif
, etc.

I'd rather they make a spinoff for all this new wierdo stuff tho. Difference is, that soundcloud fame usually comes and goes.  For a cover that featured legends like Boosie and Plies, its a natural progression to go to cats like Lucci and Bagg, not dudes like Ugly God and xxxtentacle lol.  But lets revisit this cover in a year or two and see how many of these dudes are still around 
ohwell.gif
I said in my first post that the "soundcloud generation" you are referring to is WHERE the juice is right now. Yachty, Uzi, etc. represent the "elite" of the soundcloud generation...and their music is getting played in those same clubs during Memorial Weekend. 

And in this era...everything comes and goes. This is the microwave music era. All of the labels and corporations ain't putting bread behind these ****** because of their sustainability potential. Lucci/Bagg are just as disposable as Ugly God/(insert another weirdo). You remove one of them...and there's 100 clones in every city making the same exact music ready to take their spots. Rinse and repeat. It's all about getting a quick buck out of an artist while they're hot. 

XXL is ran by Townsquare....which is owned by OakTree. They don't give a **** about Hip-Hop or upholding some sort of standard. They are simply in it for the buck and will follow wherever it is. If street mixtape rapers were where the biggest wave is right now...that's what you'd see them catering to. So yes...while it's for a "different demographic now"...it's still geared towards whatever demographic is spending the most money the same way it's been for the past 2 decades.

It's not as simple as saying "it's for white people now"....because you can go pick ANNNNNY artist from any of those covers and they all have/had very visible white fanbases. 

Freddie Gibbs is a "street" guy from one of those classic covers. I've been to several of his shows. 2 in NYC and 1 DC....and both times...there were more white people there than anyone else. 

Last edited:
what club or memorial day event were you at that didnt play a boogie or pnb rock (who has a song w lucci that u would hear there ironically)

magnolia as of this point appears to be the song of the summer

Last edited:
The Rap Game is different today compared to yesterday.Its driven by the internet way more now.Popularity is based more off of visuals=ig pictures,music videos.Its not based off of pure talent anymore.If a large amount of kids/fans/followers like your personality,or just you as a person.You can win big.Your talent can be horrible.As long as you mumble,scream,or hum melodicly with saying yea in between every 5-10 words.The possibility is endless.

This is why you have songs that most people haven't heard.Have alot of success.Im not knocking the youth.Im just showing how the internet has changed Rap/Hip Hop in its entirety.Basically the bar is set so low.Add on with the availability of making music.And shooting videos so easily now.The people who wouldnt rap in yester years have a voice now.Instead of crying over it.People in the industry,or thats getting into it.Need to learn how to adapt to it.

One major problem we have today.Is that most of the past and present rap legends are to blame as well.There suppose to go out and find new rappers.Remember when Dre found Snoop/DPG/Eminem,Game,50/G-Unit.Puff with Jodeci,Mary J,Big,Mase,Faith Evans,Total,112,Shyne.No Limit,Cash Money Brought good Rappers to the world.Ask yourself this.Why isnt Kanye,Dre,Kendrick,Cole,Krit,50,Hov,Nas (He did bring D.East) bringing new talent to the world.Or just give a real good opportunity to unknown rappers to blow.

Theres just not doing it.So the culture is going to suffer in return.This is what created the low bar for talent today.Rico Love needs to get out of that old way of thinking.I seen his interview.We all know whats going on.But you have to deal with it for now.It will change back to the realness eventually. But you have weather the storm until then.We will have a era in the future.When we get a new set of Pac,50 cents,DMX.Even the South with rap a lot,Sauve House,Dungeon Family.

Just like how we have an abundance of weirdo rappers now.Eventually well get an abundance of real street rappers in the future.People will eventually get tired of this style of music.I wish the legends would check the BS thats going on.But there not voicing there opinions or putting there foot down.The enternet has progressed so much.But its damaged our music Culture/Hip Hop/Rap in amajor way.From sells,to just anybody blowing up because of how good they worked the internet.

PnB Rock and A Boogie are more so street, harmonizing rappers. A Boogie is dope.

The Tumblr/festival/internet rappers have their lane. It's crazy how successful it is. I'm not a fan...but I recognize their fan base and impact.

There is some really good street rap out right now though. From damn near every region...and they too are starting to enjoy some commercial success.

Real **** this has got to be the worst freshman class in the history of any type of freshman class.

I dont really keep up with the newest cats but there wasnt another rapper better than ugly god lol???? Are u serious wth lol

Last edited:
The list doesn't hold the same weight so i think they just do **** like that to piss people off or they're really out of touch

what club or memorial day event were you at that didnt play a boogie or pnb rock (who has a song w lucci that u would hear there ironically)

magnolia as of this point appears to be the song of the summer
THIS...they dont hear you tho...

I'm not even sure if I heard this **** either. The beat sound familiar, but then again it sound like a YG song. Anyway, dude's flow is trash so this probably isn't the first song I should be introduced to from this guy.

Y'all must don't be outside :lol:

This is literally the new version of Meek's "Anthem". When this come on in a setting....***** be closing their eyes rapping this word for word like they went through them cases :rofl:.

It's fire man. Let it grow on you. That beat switch up is nasty.
When he say, "Aye JR *****, ain't it a blessing"......sht rey be dumb live.

It's kind of crazy that this song is top 60 on the billboard....and it's basically Acapella for the first 1:30 :lol:
Super Hot Take, but First Day Out is better than the Dreams and Nightmares Intro. I said this a month ago and got killed for it. But it really is.

:x yall gotta be ******* kidding me with that ********

That First Day Out jawn aint eem CLOSE to Dreams & Nightmare intro :smh:

Ish aint even the best First Day Out song :lol:

XXL has a certain audience and type of artist they want for this list lately, so I'm never surprised or perturbed by it....BUT my guy Kap G been out since like 2010, they gotta stop throwing these old "freshman" on here mane :lol: :smh:

Last edited:
This Grizzley track flames too 
pimp.gif

And relevant to this thread he got 1 with one of them new , weirdo rappers too 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Last edited:
It's not. The beat switched up and dude still couldn't even flow on it. He'll enjoy his little summer spring/summer buzz and fall off.

Pic is a sign of the times. Go in the mall you'll see all the young dudes dressed exactly like this, hair just like it too. You got a damn mezican with a modern man cut tryna infiltrate. Sad state of affairs.

Back
Top Bottom