Your XXL 2017 Freshman Class

shy glizzy, he got a cover yet?

Yea the legendary 2015 cover with Kidd Kidd on it

View media item 2465056

2 years later who still popping from this cover?
Nobody really poppin but Glizzy, goldlink, and maybe staples the only ones ppl checking for this current moment

Its always like that with these covers, only a couple still around with some type of buzz/music being played..n its only gon get worse cuz these dudes coming out now dont seem to be in it for any type of longevity, they all the same and come and go even faster...fully expect not to hear of 80% of the 2017 cover after like a year

Super Hot Take, but First Day Out is better than the Dreams and Nightmares Intro. I said this a month ago and got killed for it. But it really is.
Not even close and I like first day out

What does popping mean to some of you dudes?

It's almost as if a guy isn't plastered all over TV or getting a shoe from Puma or some ****....that people believe they aren't still active and successful. Again...the world is a big place. I'm from the same city as Goldlink...and have YET to hear one single person I know from this city that listens to Goldlink (outside of Crew). But....that ***** has a ton of fans...and he is "popping" to them. 

This is the music business in a nutshell:

Build a dedicated fan base, give them free music, give them music to buy, tour the music, sell merch....rinse and repeat. There's levels to this ****. You don't have to be a Drake or a Kendrick...or a 2 Chainz....or a Big Sean to make alot of money in the music business. That fan base can be anywhere from 10K people to 10 million people. It's all relative. 

I watched Yung Lean clear a million doing a club tour in the US in venues that fit 400-500 people max. 

Last edited:

[thread="663430"]fully expect not to hear of 80% of the 2017 cover after like a year[/thread]

You never know man, a good portion of that list from last year still getting to it i.e Uzi, 21, Yachty, Kodak, Dave East, Anderson Paak, etc
Yea but dudes like Uzi, 21, Yachty, Kodak, dave were already well on their way prior to being on XXL ...this cover makes last year's look great, i may have not liked or listened to all of em from last year but i knew they were buzzin or had actual songs getting luv out at the time...most of the artists this year I never heard **** from em or they had something a while ago n aint doing much right now

Moneybagg Yo

Molly Brazy

NBA Youngboy

Montana of 300

Hell they could have slid Asian Doll on this cover as well.

Scratch Asian Doll off my list.. Bali Baby could have made this list. I would say both of them, but they would have been fighting each other all around the photo shoot.

Popping in the streaming/ soundcloud era has a totally different meaning.

It's almost as if a guy isn't plastered all over TV or getting a shoe from Puma or some ****....that people believe they aren't still active and successful. Again...the world is a big place. I'm from the same city as Goldlink...and have YET to hear one single person I know from this city that listens to Goldlink (outside of Crew). But....that ***** has a ton of fans...and he is "popping" to them. 

You just answered your own question right here :lol: ....Goldlink currently has a song that you dont even have to be a fan to listen to/ recognize...thats certainly on some level of poppin and having buzz...

if you got current music that ppl hear on a day to day or if your name gets brought n ppl talk a present day music or events related to it then u on at that time ... bring up dej loaf, tink, k camp, fetty n we talkin bout em in terms of a year or 2 ago they got nothing moving right now they not poppin

N all this not even taking into account the internet/blogs but thats a whole different beast n caters to certain types of artists like most of em on the XXL cover this year

Last edited:
GoldLink and Glizzy just had a smash with "Crew". Vince staples is still running. I've heard him recently on people's projects. DejLoaf was on Ross last album. I think Fetty still makes music. Not sure what the rest are doing.

I still hear about Staples and Glizzy here and there but that's it. Dej was dope on that Ross record but seem like she died down. Fetty came and went fast.

This is the music business in a nutshell:

Build a dedicated fan base, give them free music, give them music to buy, tour the music, sell merch....rinse and repeat. [B]There's levels to this ****. You don't have to be a Drake or a Kendrick...or a 2 Chainz....or a Big Sean to make alot of money in the music business.[/B] That fan base can be anywhere from 10K people to 10 million people. It's all relative. 

I watched Yung Lean clear a million doing a club tour in the US in venues that fit 400-500 people max. 

Nobody said that ****. I know some of these dudes got a fan base and can eat but the people on that list are the perfect example of fake hype.

Last edited:
You just answered your own question right here
laugh.gif
....Goldlink currently has a song that you dont even have to be a fan to listen to/ recognize...thats certainly on some level of poppin and having buzz...

if you got current music that ppl hear on a day to day or if your name gets brought n ppl talk a present day music or events related to it then u on at that time ... bring up dej loaf, tink, k camp, fetty n we talkin bout em in terms of a year or 2 ago they got nothing moving right now they not poppin

N all this not even taking into account the internet/blogs but thats a whole different beast n caters to certain types of artists like most of em on the XXL cover this year
I didn't answer my own question 
laugh.gif
 I asked what does popping mean to everyone and I provided my own definition. 

I'm glad WSG and Conway weren't on the cover..You know how stupid they'd look next to these dudes? Same goes for Don Q. 

There's not 1 legit MC on that cover...and that **** is pathetic. 

I'm glad WSG and Conway weren't on the cover..You know how stupid they'd look next to these dudes? Same goes for Don Q. 

There's not 1 legit MC on that cover...and that **** is pathetic. 

Not a single one. That cypher is gonna be all kinds of embarrassing. They really should just discontinue it til further notice.

The 2017 cover is a far faaaaar cry from these two.
1465834344_a6e9d743200a7169990ec91f3ee7d4f9.jpg

XXL-Freshmen-2010.jpg

OJ Da Juiceman and Plies are Nas and AZ compared to this current list :lol:

From what I've heard from most of those guys...Ugly God is probably the most technically proficient rapper on that entire cover.

Which is incredible to even think about 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I think Vince should've been on the list years ago as well. 2014 to be exact.

Kamaiyah, Kyle and Amine all can rap. Kaimayah **** is a regional sound that a lot of people might not mess with tho. Kyle and Amine just corny, one is a suburban Drake lite and the other is like a weird great value 3k/Kanye fusion.

The rest of the dudes aren't the most talented "rappers" but they can make good "rap" songs and that's all that matters in the mainstream anyway. That and brand/marketability.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom