Zoom Kobe VI Review Thread Vol. Better than the V?

Played in my Concords for the first time last night. I skipped the V's, so I can only compare to the IV's, but to me these were a definite upgrade. Fit is better, forefoot cushioning is better, and I had no heel slip whatsoever with the shoe laced moderately tight. I am not usually sold on the Wire series, but I will get another pair of these.

^I too didn't have heel slip duke, but you gotta admit...the traction is not as good as the IV's......

^I too didn't have heel slip duke, but you gotta admit...the traction is not as good as the IV's......

Jman, I can't really comment on the traction yet. I played on a pretty clean wood court, so I need to go to my other gym with the worn wood before I can know, but they didn't feel too bad. They weren't squeaking. I always compare Nike's to my standard, the 2K3's, and I can tell these were below that, but not very far.

Jman, I can't really comment on the traction yet. I played on a pretty clean wood court, so I need to go to my other gym with the worn wood before I can know, but they didn't feel too bad. They weren't squeaking. I always compare Nike's to my standard, the 2K3's, and I can tell these were below that, but not very far.

For sure Duke...I also read that you really like the traction on the adizero Rose? Are those squeaky with the grip and are they good ballin' shoes?

For sure Duke...I also read that you really like the traction on the adizero Rose? Are those squeaky with the grip and are they good ballin' shoes?

Just played on a CLEAN court - and my traction fears have vanished - they're excellent shoes all round, locked down fit, responsive cushioning and light weight.

!!!

Just played on a CLEAN court - and my traction fears have vanished - they're excellent shoes all round, locked down fit, responsive cushioning and light weight.

!!!

played for the first time in my concords earlier. had no traction issues. played indoor btw. the fit is superb. the skinwire hugs my feet very well. cushioning is also superb. didnt feel flat. the thing i liked most is the arc support. the thick insole really helps. but the thing i hated most is the ankle lockdown. i always play with double socks. but i needed to lace it very tight just to feel that my ankles are secured. lockdown wise, ZK5>ZK6 imo. the 6s cushioning is more responsive than the 5s but for me, i felt like it made my feet higher off the ground. right now, ZK5>ZK6 for me. i like the 5s more because of the lower ride. makes me feel like i can make quicker cuts. and i really have lockdown issues with these. hopefully using elite crews would help out. lets see if my thoughts change after my pair has been fully broken in. just my two cents.

played for the first time in my concords earlier. had no traction issues. played indoor btw. the fit is superb. the skinwire hugs my feet very well. cushioning is also superb. didnt feel flat. the thing i liked most is the arc support. the thick insole really helps. but the thing i hated most is the ankle lockdown. i always play with double socks. but i needed to lace it very tight just to feel that my ankles are secured. lockdown wise, ZK5>ZK6 imo. the 6s cushioning is more responsive than the 5s but for me, i felt like it made my feet higher off the ground. right now, ZK5>ZK6 for me. i like the 5s more because of the lower ride. makes me feel like i can make quicker cuts. and i really have lockdown issues with these. hopefully using elite crews would help out. lets see if my thoughts change after my pair has been fully broken in. just my two cents.

Originally Posted by jman8811

Rose have maybe the BEST raction so far this year. It isn't squeakiy, but the Cilia pattern never slides, and the clear sticky pods give you a little extra bite for the push-off points (the pods are really where your foot needs them for max acceleration). Tough call between these and the Kobe's so far, but you can't go wrong with either. If you don't like the feel of the ankle collar, wait on the 1.5. I think it is more comfortable from a wear-in standpoint.

Originally Posted by jman8811

Rose have maybe the BEST raction so far this year. It isn't squeakiy, but the Cilia pattern never slides, and the clear sticky pods give you a little extra bite for the push-off points (the pods are really where your foot needs them for max acceleration). Tough call between these and the Kobe's so far, but you can't go wrong with either. If you don't like the feel of the ankle collar, wait on the 1.5. I think it is more comfortable from a wear-in standpoint.

So the Roses have good traction but still no squeak? What shoes this year have good traction and squeak...I know this USE to be a big pet peeve for you Duke, and it still is for me...I love to here the squeak because it makes me believe there is more traction than there probably is......

So the Roses have good traction but still no squeak? What shoes this year have good traction and squeak...I know this USE to be a big pet peeve for you Duke, and it still is for me...I love to here the squeak because it makes me believe there is more traction than there probably is......

Traction is my only gripe, which seems to be what everyone's reiterating.

I like it for the most part... 

Traction is my only gripe, which seems to be what everyone's reiterating.

I like it for the most part... 

Now Duke, when you say the rose doesn't squeak...do you mean it's like the kobe VI's where it won't ever squeak or it'll squeak when you make a strong cut? I'm really thinking about getting the Adizero Rose......

Now Duke, when you say the rose doesn't squeak...do you mean it's like the kobe VI's where it won't ever squeak or it'll squeak when you make a strong cut? I'm really thinking about getting the Adizero Rose......

Be honest, I can;t ever recall my Rose's squeaking. The only shoes I can say squeak all have herringbone bottoms, now that I think about it. If you can put up with the initial discomfotr of the ankle strap, the Rose are a great shoe. Fit like no other and so low it is almost barefoot. Whether it squeaks or not I say grab them.

Be honest, I can;t ever recall my Rose's squeaking. The only shoes I can say squeak all have herringbone bottoms, now that I think about it. If you can put up with the initial discomfotr of the ankle strap, the Rose are a great shoe. Fit like no other and so low it is almost barefoot. Whether it squeaks or not I say grab them.

ZKV > ZKIV & ZKVI

TO me, the Zoom Kobe 6 is the weakest out of all 3 in terms of overall performance. But it's a close tie between the 4 and 6 though in terms of fit and cushioning. The biggest problem that I have is the heel cup. To me, the way they sculpted the whole heel from the back and around the ankle is pointless. Sure it extends around, but for what? Last years Kobe 5 focused solely on the heel which was enough and because of that, it kept my heel locked in check. 

But after 10-15 wearings on and off the court, the cushioning around the heel area does and will continue to mold around my ankle. I also have to use the runners loop (google it) so that my ankle is locked in more than a regular knot for basketball. 

Traction is better than the 5 but not as good as the 4. I had a lot of doubt in the 6 because they got caught up in the whole black mamba snake print and applied it on the outsole. The Kobe 6 has more squeak and sticks to the floor a lot better than the heartbeat pattern on the 5. Whether it's indoor or outdoor (mainly indoor). I wouldn't recommend playing basketball in these for long hours outdoors if you are planning to. Soles are strictly indoor only. 

Cushioning has improved. Same set up, different feeling (slightly). Heel Zoom is felt a lot better (maybe it's just me). If you remove the insoles and look inside, you can actually see the outline of the Zoom Air bags. Met bag in the forefoot and a regular zoom air cushion in the heel. Keeps the shoe light, yet responsive. As you take a step, the amount of force you put onto your feet is pushed right back onto it ready for your next step. Heel to toe is a lot better in the VI as well. Probably because of the higher base and lower front... 

Breathability is great. Upper is made out of the scales, mesh, and flywire. Keeps the shoe nice and breathable especially the tongue. Uses the same tongue and inner-bootie as the ZKV. It hugs the top of your feet very snug allowing that one-to-one glove fit. 

The fit on these is a little different. I feel that the upper hugs the foot more allowing the shoe to be more flexible, but not greater than the 5. I don't know how to really explain it but when you tie these up tight, the shape on the kobe 5 molds a little better. Maybe its personal preference but it's just a different feel. I like like the skinwire feel rather than the scale upper on the 6. The tow box room is much more wider allowing more movement for yours toes. The Kobe 5's have a more narrow space for your your heels resulting in a better fit and lockdown for heels. 

If it came down to choosing the best overall shoe for me, i would go with last years Zoom Kobe V (5). Just because the VI is the newest shoe, doesn't mean it will surpass the older model. Each year, Nike will always strive for a better, lighter, agile, and faster shoe for Kobe Bryant which they are doing a superb job at. The Kobe VI may be more suitable for others than it is for me. Each to their own since this is strongly from my perspective and personal experience with the shoe. Hope this helps! 

ZKV > ZKIV & ZKVI

TO me, the Zoom Kobe 6 is the weakest out of all 3 in terms of overall performance. But it's a close tie between the 4 and 6 though in terms of fit and cushioning. The biggest problem that I have is the heel cup. To me, the way they sculpted the whole heel from the back and around the ankle is pointless. Sure it extends around, but for what? Last years Kobe 5 focused solely on the heel which was enough and because of that, it kept my heel locked in check. 

But after 10-15 wearings on and off the court, the cushioning around the heel area does and will continue to mold around my ankle. I also have to use the runners loop (google it) so that my ankle is locked in more than a regular knot for basketball. 

Traction is better than the 5 but not as good as the 4. I had a lot of doubt in the 6 because they got caught up in the whole black mamba snake print and applied it on the outsole. The Kobe 6 has more squeak and sticks to the floor a lot better than the heartbeat pattern on the 5. Whether it's indoor or outdoor (mainly indoor). I wouldn't recommend playing basketball in these for long hours outdoors if you are planning to. Soles are strictly indoor only. 

Cushioning has improved. Same set up, different feeling (slightly). Heel Zoom is felt a lot better (maybe it's just me). If you remove the insoles and look inside, you can actually see the outline of the Zoom Air bags. Met bag in the forefoot and a regular zoom air cushion in the heel. Keeps the shoe light, yet responsive. As you take a step, the amount of force you put onto your feet is pushed right back onto it ready for your next step. Heel to toe is a lot better in the VI as well. Probably because of the higher base and lower front... 

Breathability is great. Upper is made out of the scales, mesh, and flywire. Keeps the shoe nice and breathable especially the tongue. Uses the same tongue and inner-bootie as the ZKV. It hugs the top of your feet very snug allowing that one-to-one glove fit. 

The fit on these is a little different. I feel that the upper hugs the foot more allowing the shoe to be more flexible, but not greater than the 5. I don't know how to really explain it but when you tie these up tight, the shape on the kobe 5 molds a little better. Maybe its personal preference but it's just a different feel. I like like the skinwire feel rather than the scale upper on the 6. The tow box room is much more wider allowing more movement for yours toes. The Kobe 5's have a more narrow space for your your heels resulting in a better fit and lockdown for heels. 

If it came down to choosing the best overall shoe for me, i would go with last years Zoom Kobe V (5). Just because the VI is the newest shoe, doesn't mean it will surpass the older model. Each year, Nike will always strive for a better, lighter, agile, and faster shoe for Kobe Bryant which they are doing a superb job at. The Kobe VI may be more suitable for others than it is for me. Each to their own since this is strongly from my perspective and personal experience with the shoe. Hope this helps! 

Back
Top Bottom