¹ 2008 Spring Football/Summer Workouts (updates) ©

picture summary of the bruins oline next year:
spr08scr-276s.thumbnail.jpg

Originally Posted by Joe McKnight Is BALLIN

picture summary of the bruins oline next year:
spr08scr-276s.thumbnail.jpg

laugh.gif

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Not Anxious to Hang It Up[/h2] [h1]FSU's Bowden Said He's Not Ready to Hand the Reins to Fisher Yet[/h1]
By Tom Zebold
THE LEDGER
Write an email to Tom Zebold

persbilde
Tom Zebold
Sports Copy Editor
Dept.: Sports
(863) 802-7553
[email protected]

Your Name:

Your Email:

Subject:

WINTER HAVEN | Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden paid a visit to Polk County on Friday and brought with him a very special guest - his successor Jimbo Fisher.

Bowden was at a banquet in Winter Haven, one of the stops on his 33rd annual booster club tour, to visit with the Seminole Club of Polk County and fans. He provided about 225 people with some laughs, his thoughts about bringing the FSU program back to its winning ways and the future.

Bowden had a look of determination when talking about his 'Noles and the coach showed no signs of retiring in the near future.

"It's probably time now, but I ain't gonna do it," Bowden said with a laugh. "I just play it year by year. I signed a one-year contract this year, which means at the end of the year I can let them (FSU) know whether I want to come back or not and right now my plans are to come back.

The 78-year-old has no real formula of figuring out when to retire.

"How will I know when (to step away from coaching)? I don't know. I'll probably know. I don't know how."

Fisher, who is currently Florida State's offensive coordinator, said his relationship with Bowden is great and their situation is unique.

"I think it's very good for both of us," said Fisher, who was making his first FSU booster club visit to Polk County. "You don't jump right into the fire. You are able to see what you gotta do and meet the people you gotta meet and as I say 'you know where the land mines will be'. You'll know what to do and what not to do."

Part of Fisher's job for the night was to introduce a man who has won 373 college football games and has spent 32 of his 55 years coaching at FSU.

"There is not a greater mentor or person that you could ever have," said Fisher of Bowden. "He teaches me more by accident than a lot of people try to on purpose."

Bowden, who won national titles in 1993 and '99, talked about his team getting back to its winning ways.

"We are now striving and climbing to get back up on top and we will. It's a matter of time," he said.

Bowden said getting playmakers is vital in the future.

"We have not had the superstar lately, and that's what we gotta get back to and that comes through recruiting."

He mentioned that Preston Parker was the team's biggest "game-breaker" last year.

The receiver was arrested late Monday and charged with carrying a gun and a small amount of marijuana.

"We're gonna probably miss him a few games this year," Bowden said of Parker.

Bowden answered a tough question from the audience regarding rival Florida.

"Coach are you going to beat the Gators this year?"

"It's nothing to nothing right now ain't it?" Bowden joked. "I wouldn't be surprised if we beat 'em. But that's the last ball game man. I got too many worries before I play that darn game."

FSU will play Florida on Nov. 29 in Tallahassee.

laugh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

He mentioned that Preston Parker was the team's biggest "game-breaker" last year.

The receiver was arrested late Monday and charged with carrying a gun and a small amount of marijuana.

"We're gonna probably miss him a few games this year," Bowden said of Parker.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

A few = 1 to Bobby Bowden's old #**. "Son, how fast can you run in leg shackles?"

Michigan got a commitment from another QB in the 2009 class. Shavodrick Beaver from Texas. Seems like a very solid QB. He did decent at the Elite 11 camp but Ido not think he will get an invite to the competetion. He is a GREAT #2 QB for this class behind Kevin Newsome. Still in the race for Tate Forcier but I wouldbe happy if he went somewhere else. I do not like that kid at all.

At least with Beaver he might be able to be utilized at other positions. It is a great pickup but now its time to focus on other areas of need. Its amazing howRR and his staff have had so much success in so little time, I like theyre aggressive aproach.

Originally Posted by zs05wc

At least with Beaver he might be able to be utilized at other positions. It is a great pickup but now its time to focus on other areas of need. Its amazing how RR and his staff have had so much success in so little time, I like theyre aggressive aproach.
Beaver is a QB. No other positions really stand out for him. He isn't a blazer by any means and seems to be a damn good QB. Newsome is the onethat might have to worry. He could play so many positions and if he struggles early, he might need to look at other options. I am so happy with how this classis starting out. Need some Lineman on both sides. The skill positions will come, I am not worried about that but we need some depth on the front lines.

I think our next commit will be McNeal, but like i said its time to go for other needs. Any chance Newsome graduates early and is there next spring? he'sseems to be a good student.

McNeal just needs to come in with his parents and he might commit. Until then, it is too close with Louisville to call it. I really can't see anybodycommiting very soon. Summer camps should get us a few. I do like the amount of Top 100 kids we are going after. The south is really getting hit hard byMichigan. Very pleased with this staff so far. Everybody seems to be pulling their weight.

When I went to Penn Relays this weekend Ja'ron Stokes was there. He talked with one of our other managers that went he said Fulmer is gonna let him runtrack also
laugh.gif

I know this is old....But do you agree or disagree???

[h1]Buckeyes, Trojans, Vols on the rise in updated Top 25[/h1]

By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: February 12, 2008, 12:19 PM ET

National signing day and the deadline for underclassmen to enter the NFL draft are behind us. So it's a good time to revise the way-too-early preseason Top 25 for the 2008 college football season. Ohio State, Tennessee and USC moved up. Florida, West Virginia and Michigan moved down. In fact, the Wolverines fell out of the Top 25 after quarterback Ryan Mallett transferred to Arkansas and top QB recruit Terrelle Pryor delayed announcing his college choice.

61.gif

[h2]1. Georgia Bulldogs[/h2]Quarterback Matthew Stafford and tailback Knowshon Moreno have Georgia poised to contend for a national championship. But there will be plenty of hurdles. With the annual neutral-site contest against Florida (in Jacksonville) and road games at Arizona State, LSU and Auburn, the Bulldogs will play one of the country's toughest schedules. If they can navigate their way through it with two or fewer losses, the Bulldogs have a chance to play in the BCS title game.
201.gif

[h2]2. Oklahoma Sooners[/h2]The Sooners lost three very good juniors -- receiver Malcolm Kelly, linebacker Curtis Lofton and cornerback Reggie Smith -- to the NFL draft. But with tailback DeMarco Murray and QB Sam Bradford coming back, the Sooners' offense could be explosive. The Big 12 schedule is favorable: Oklahoma doesn't play Missouri and gets Kansas and Texas Tech at home.
194.gif

[h2]3. Ohio State Buckeyes[/h2]The Buckeyes fared much better than expected in personnel losses, with only junior defensive end Vernon Gholston declaring for the NFL draft. All-America linebacker James Laurinaitis returns to lead what should be a very stingy defense, and tailback Beanie Wells will be a Heisman Trophy candidate. Ohio State is good enough to go through the Big Ten schedule unbeaten, but a Sept. 13 road trip to USC might decide its BCS title hopes.
30.gif

[h2]4. USC Trojans[/h2]The Trojans will have to rebuild their offense with quarterback John David Booty and tight end Fred Davis leaving. The defense also takes several hits, with end Lawrence Jackson, tackle Sedrick Ellis and linebacker Keith Rivers also leaving. But if USC can avoid the injuries that hampered it in 2007 -- and if Mark Sanchez or Arkansas transfer Mitch Mustain plays well at quarterback -- the Trojans again will be a national championship contender.
142.gif

[h2]5. Missouri Tigers[/h2]With quarterback Chase Daniel returning for his senior season and 10 starters coming back on defense, the Tigers should be good enough to challenge Oklahoma and Texas for the Big 12 championship. The schedule sets up nicely, as Missouri doesn't play Oklahoma, Texas A&M or Texas Tech in the regular season.
251.gif

[h2]6. Texas Longhorns[/h2]Losing tailback Jamaal Charles to the NFL draft might be a tremendous blow on offense, but coach Mack Brown went a long way toward rebuilding his defense by hiring Auburn coordinator Will Muschamp. Quarterback Colt McCoy will have to carry a bigger load because of the uncertainty at tailback.
57.gif

[h2]7. Florida Gators[/h2]Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow and receiver Percy Harvin will lead a talented offense, especially if USC transfer Emmanuel Moody emerges as a strong tailback. The Gators lacked a running game to complement Tebow last season. The defense continues to be a concern, however, especially after co-coordinator Greg Mattison left for the Baltimore Ravens. Coach Urban Meyer worked quickly and hired former Iowa State coach Dan McCarney to help on defense.
99.gif

[h2]8. LSU Tigers[/h2]The defending national champion Tigers lose a boatload of talent, including quarterback Matt Flynn, tailback Jacob Hester and receiver Early Doucet on offense. The losses on defense are even bigger, with All-Americans Glenn Dorsey and Craig Steltz leaving. But coach Les Miles still has a full cupboard of talent. QB Ryan Perrilloux will have to come through if the Tigers are going to defend their SEC championship.
228.gif

[h2]9. Clemson Tigers[/h2]Tigers coach Tommy Bowden might be poised to win the ACC championship at last. After getting a contract extension, Bowden assembled one of the best recruiting classes in the country. He also persuaded junior tailback James Davis and receiver Aaron Kelly to stay in school. Underrated quarterback Cullen Harper comes back to lead what might be the ACC's best offense.
9.gif

[h2]10. Arizona State Sun Devils[/h2]A 52-34 loss to Texas in the Holiday Bowl showed the Sun Devils still have plenty of work to do under coach Dennis Erickson. QB Rudy Carpenter returns, but the Sun Devils will have to rebuild an offensive line that couldn't protect the quarterback in 2007. Safety Josh Barrett and linebacker Robert James are big losses on defense. The recruiting class brings instant help, with five offensive linemen and five juco transfers coming in.
259.gif

[h2]11. Virginia Tech Hokies[/h2]The Hokies will have to be better on offense than they were in 2007 because their defense will have to overcome heavy personnel losses. Linebackers Xavier Adibi and Vince Hall are both gone, along with end Chris Ellis and cornerback Brandon Flowers. Will coach Frank Beamer continue to rotate quarterbacks Sean Glennon and Tyrod Taylor, a mix that worked at the end of the 2007 season? Tailback Branden Ore needs to have a better offseason than he did a year ago.
2641.gif

[h2]12. Texas Tech Red Raiders[/h2]QB Graham Harrell and receiver Michael Crabtree might have Texas Tech poised to become the biggest surprise of 2008. The Red Raiders should be able to score plenty of points again, and with eight starters coming back on defense, they might even be equipped to stop opponents this season. Road games at Texas A&M, Kansas and Oklahoma are big tests.
275.gif

[h2]13. Wisconsin Badgers[/h2]Kansas State transfer Allan Evridge is in line to replace quarterback Tyler Donovan, and his job will be easier after tight end Travis Beckum decided to return to school for one more season. Tailback P.J. Hill will have to stay healthy for the Badgers to reach their full potential, but Zach Brown and Lance Smith emerged as capable runners when Hill was hurt last season. A five-game stretch against Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa and Illinois at midseason is more than daunting.
2633.gif

[h2]14. Tennessee Volunteers[/h2]For all their warts last season, the Volunteers still finished 10-4 and beat Wisconsin 21-17 in the Outback Bowl. The offense will get a makeover in 2008 because QB Erik Ainge exhausted his eligibility and offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe was named Duke's head coach. Two other assistant coaches left, and Phillip Fulmer hired Richmond coach Dave Clawson as offensive coordinator, Richmond assistant Latrell Scott as wide receivers coach and Florida assistant Stan Drayton as running backs coach. Getting safety Demetrice Morley back, after he spent the 2007 season at a nearby technical college to improve his grades, should be a big boost to the secondary. The Vols play at UCLA in Week 2 and have SEC road games at Georgia, Auburn and South Carolina.
2305.gif

[h2]15. Kansas Jayhawks[/h2]Can Jayhawks coach Mark Mangino find lightning in a bottle again in 2008? It won't be easy, especially after All-America cornerback Aqib Talib and offensive tackle Anthony Collins entered the NFL draft as juniors. Kansas also must replace tailback Brandon McAnderson, the team's leading rusher. QB Todd Reesing and nine returning starters on defense ensure the Jayhawks won't fall off the map.
2.gif

[h2]16. Auburn Tigers[/h2]The Tigers figure to fly under the radar again, which is when coach Tommy Tuberville's teams tend to play their best. The offense will have a new look after Tuberville hired Troy's Tony Franklin to replace offensive coordinator Al Borges. Defensive coordinator Will Muschamp left for Texas. QB Kodi Burns replaces much-maligned Brandon Cox, and the Tigers have to do a better job of running the football. Defensive end Quentin Groves and tackles Pat Sims and Josh Thompson are the biggest losses on defense.
213.gif

[h2]17. Penn State Nittany Lions[/h2]With 17 starters coming back, coach Joe Paterno might be poised to make one last run at a Big Ten championship. Junior Daryll Clark is in line to replace QB Anthony Morelli, so the Nittany Lions might employ a spread offense in 2008. Top receivers Deon Butler, Jordan Norwood and Derrick Williams will all return. Replacing inside linebacker Dan Connor and junior cornerback Justin King, who left for the NFL draft, are priorities on defense.
2483.gif

[h2]18. Oregon Ducks[/h2]The Ducks salvaged their season with a 56-21 rout of South Florida in the Sun Bowl, proving there was more to Oregon than QB Dennis Dixon. Coach Mike Bellotti will have to replace Dixon and star running back Jonathan Stewart, who left for the NFL draft as a junior. The Ducks also will have to replace two starters on the offensive line and the heart of their defense. Tailback Jeremiah Johnson is coming back from a torn ACL that shortened his 2007 season.
252.gif

[h2]19. BYU Cougars[/h2]After winning 11 games each of the past two seasons, the Cougars might contend for a BCS at-large berth in 2008. QB Max Hall played very well in his first season as a starter after missing a couple of seasons while serving a Mormon mission. The defense will have to be rebuilt, with several key linebackers and defensive backs departing.
277.gif

[h2]20. West Virginia Mountaineers[/h2]Did you hear that Mountaineers coach Rich Rodriguez left for Michigan? His messy divorce from West Virginia overshadowed the Mountaineers' convincing 48-28 rout of Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. QB Pat White and speedy tailback Noel Devine are coming back, but tailback Steve Slaton, receiver Darius Reynaud and defensive end Johnny Dingle entered the NFL draft as juniors. New coach Bill Stewart expects the Mountaineers to win games and contend for the Big East championship in his first season.
258.gif

[h2]21. Virginia Cavaliers[/h2]The Cavaliers seemed capable of a big season in 2008, but a rough start to the offseason -- academic problems and a few defections -- will make it tougher for coach Al Groh. The Cavaliers salvaged a 9-4 season in 2007 by winning several close games. Virginia is capable of doing it again.
221.gif

[h2]22. Pittsburgh Panthers[/h2]After beating West Virginia 13-9 in one of the biggest upsets of 2007, the Panthers finally seemed poised to turn the corner under coach Dave Wannstedt. QB Pat Bostick and tailback LeSean McCoy both played remarkably well as freshmen, and the defense showed some bite at season's end. If the Panthers can learn to win close games -- they lost four games by seven or fewer points last season -- they might be one of the country's biggest surprises.
356.gif

[h2]23. Illinois Fighting Illini[/h2]Coach Ron Zook's rebuilding job might be more difficult this season now that star tailback Rashard Mendenhall left for the NFL draft after his junior season. QB Juice Williams will have to carry an even bigger load in the spread offense, and receiver Arrelious Benn will have to be more involved. Replacing star linebacker J Leman on defense is a top priority. The Illini will get help from another nationally ranked recruiting class.
2579.gif

[h2]24. South Carolina Gamecocks[/h2]The Gamecocks hoped to challenge for an SEC East title in 2007, but they finished the season with a five-game losing streak and a 6-6 record. South Carolina ultimately was undone by too many injuries and not enough depth. Coach Steve Spurrier has recruited well, so the Gamecocks should begin to reap the rewards of his efforts. Spurrier hired Ellis Johnson to replace defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix. Redshirt freshman Stephen Garcia might be Carolina's quarterback of the future.
278.gif

[h2]25. Fresno State Bulldogs[/h2]The Bulldogs were very explosive at the end of the 2007 season, scoring 30 or more points in eight of their last nine games, including a 40-28 win over Georgia Tech in the Humanitarian Bowl. After an uncharacteristic 4-8 finish in 2006, coach Pat Hill redeemed himself with a 9-4 record. With QB Tom Brandstater and tailback Ryan Mathews returning, the Bulldogs again should be explosive on offense

Florida is going to be the best team in the SEC this year, !%%* all the UGA talk.

SC in the top 25??
laugh.gif
Beecher their QB? !%%* outta here.

Oregon lost way too many weapons to be considered a top 25 team. Granted they played last year without Colvin, Dixon and Johnson. I'm not being them as alegit threat. Their QB, Roper i think, had a great game against USF but he hasn't really proven himself yet.

What about USF, they lost some defense stars, but their whole Offense is back.??

I don't know, I can't see Clemson at #9 but I can understand that it's off the assumption that we win the ACC. If our O-Line can come together, weprobably can but they're scaring me a little right now. I think part of their struggles and maybe what will make them better is facing our DL all spring& summer because those boys are nasty. Our OL is talented, just inexperienced and that's pretty damn important for you OL. Going up against Bama inthe 1st game should set the tone.

Also...recruiting: Craig Loston from Texas, Rivals #20 player for 2009 committed to Clemson today. His cousin, Russell Shepard who's a 5 Star QB hadcommitted to LSU and it was between us and them, but people had a good feeling about Loston coming to Clemson. Must've let him hit up every ATM in Clemson(that's like 2 or 3).
pimp.gif

Craig Loston is very good. His film is crazy. Fast and hits like a LB. Monster pickup for Clemson. He and Spencer Adams is a very fast pair of safeties. I knowHolloman is high on Michigan but I think Loston going to Clemson only helps the Tigers. Maybe something will change and i hope it does but this really makes methink Devonte is going to Clemson.

Dade BOY... I already used that joke.
laugh.gif

Newbs...
I know he likes Michigan and his visit went really well, but Holloman is supposedly all about Clemson. Word on the street is that he called Loston after hisClemson visit to see how it went. Loston's film is nasty though, looks like dude just wants to hurt people. Spencer Adams could use a redshirt butwe're thin at Safety. Mike Hamlin is real solid, All-ACC type but this is his Senior year and DeAndre McDaniel will be a true Soph that'll be verygood for us too. Loston should be a mid-year entrant and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a lot of playing time alongside McDaniel or even starts. We've got a ton of talent on D and will in the future.

Yeah. It might be best for this kid not to be given a boatload of money. He just doesn't seem like a kid that has much of a brain. He can ball but man, heis a screw up.

I find that somewhat suprising considering the QB situation at LSU. Figured Miles would find a way to keep him around. Mack Brown just gave a Tiger Woods fistpump.

Back
Top Bottom