☆☆ 2012 NBA Finals ☆☆ The King has been crowned; Heat win 2012 NBA Finals! Bron Finals MVP.

Knicks. 
laugh.gif

DeMarcus Cousins is averaging a double double (14 and 11) but is also averaging 5 fouls per game, shooting 35% from the field and has yet to record an assist for the season.
laugh.gif

David Aldridge asks Durant about that lost shot and the first thing he says is, "My fault. I left Vince wide open on the previous play. Boneheaded play by me." - This dude GETS IT!

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

David Aldridge asks Durant about that lost shot and the first thing he says is, "My fault. I left Vince wide open on the previous play. Boneheaded play by me." - This dude GETS IT!
He sure does, man. Its great to see and a pleasure watching KD play the game... I love how he always runs over and daps moms up too
pimp.gif

i thought she was gonna run out on the court and join in on the celebrating last night....
laugh.gif

So you're telling me that Carmello, Stat, and Tyson Chandler can't take out a supposedly down team of Kobe, Gasol, and basically a bunch
of bums??? This team that claims it'll be contending for the Finals?

I know it's only 3-4 games in, but I'm gonna call it right now, the Knicks are gonna finesse their way to the 3 seed in the playoffs, and end
up getting wiped out by the Pacers, Hawks, or Bulls.

Mr Jordan04 wrote:

Shaq is a troll.
He's trying too hard to be funny

I agree.  Ernie, Chuck and the jet all can break down footage and talk about plays.  I dont think Shaq can, he will just say one word or try to make it a joke.  
I prefer C. Webb over shaq, they had good chemistry imo.

Originally Posted by Krishnan

Any news on howard? looks like hes just gonna hold out till next yr and enjoy basketball regardless of how the magic do this season..

Howard to the mavs. As long as the Lakers are competitive, I don't see a trade going down.  Nets can offer all the draft picks but they don't want brook-

roll.gif
@ the Christmas tree falling on Shaq. I knew I shouldn't have went to bed early last night. 
Y'all are right. All Shaq does is yell out peoples names in the highlights and make sound effects when they make a shot. 

To be fair, Shaq could just be finding his place. It's not easy to jump into that role with that cast and expect him to be perfect right away.

Some people want him to be funny, others to be an on point analyzer. Hard to satisfy the public.

The Fresh Sole wrote:
Mr Jordan04 wrote:

Shaq is a troll.
He's trying too hard to be funny

I agree.  Ernie, Chuck and the jet all can break down footage and talk about plays.  I dont think Shaq can, he will just say one word or try to make it a joke.  
I prefer C. Webb over shaq, they had good chemistry imo.

me too, this dude shaq was never funny to me

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Will OP ever update this thread?

probably when the mavs win their first game of the year lol that will be tonight against the crappy raptors

In light of yesterday's talk about Russell Westbrook and John Wall;
CBA reality: Drafting a star gets you seven years

Draft a superstar in the NBA, and here is what you are likely to get: Seven years.
You've got seven years to make your star happy, seven years to convince him that you have a winning plan and a positive direction. Dwight Howard has given his seven years to Orlando—don't blame him for being eager to get out of town.
When it comes to elite players, NBA rules pretty much guarantee you seven years of uninterrupted bliss, and after that, well, it is a crapshoot. You might get lucky and draft a hometown kid who wants to spend his entire career with his local franchise, as the Bulls did with Derrick Rose. Or you might pick an anti-limelight star who prefers a town that rolls up the sidewalks early, as the Thunder did with Kevin Durant. In cases like that, a team will get a dozen years or so out of its star player.
But, as we have seen over the past year, such good fortune is not the rule in the NBA. No team is experiencing that quite the way the Magic are experiencing it this year, and though Howard is a convenient villain in the Orlando saga, that portrayal of him is not fair at all.

The way NBA contracts are structured, a player signs a five-year contract after he is drafted. He can become a restricted free agent after the fourth year, and he can sign a five-year extension after the third year. (He plays out his contract in the fourth year, and the extension kicks in after that—so the five-year $94 million extension Rose signed with the Bulls, for example, takes effect next season.) Virtually every young star who is offered a full extension after Year 3 takes it, because it's a guaranteed big payday, and the risk of injury in Year 4 is too great to pass up.

Now, here's where things get tricky -- in most of these extensions, as we have seen, there is a player option on the final year. So a star draftee will play the first four years of his career under his rookie contract and sign another deal for five years. Years 5, 6 and 7 will go along swimmingly under the extension, but Year 8 is where things get dodgy. It is a critical time for both the player, who is by that point about 26 or 27 and in his prime, and the team, which has relied on the star for the past seven years. It is in Year 8 that the player option is looming, and if the star player does not like the looks of his team's roster or the market in general, he will have the opportunity to leave in the summer. And he can let the team know it.

When negotiating the new collective-bargaining agreement with the players during the lockout, small-market owners aimed to address this problem. But they weren't able to come up with an acceptable way to ensure stars stayed put -- a "franchise tag" system was never really discussed and ideas for added compensation, such as an extra draft pick, for teams that lost stars never gained traction. Eventually, owners abandoned the issue, hoping that other aspects of the new CBA (a stricter luxury tax, for example) would hinder the ability of other teams to lure other teams' star players.

This is where Dwight Howard is now. He has, by all measures, fulfilled the terms of the two contracts he signed, and he has dutifully given the first seven years of his career to the Magic. There isn't much for Orlando to complain about. He has averaged 18.2 points in that span, led the league in rebounding three times and won Defensive Player of the Year the last three seasons. He helped the team to the 2009 Finals, where they lost to the Lakers, but since then management has made some dreadful decisions. The Magic traded for Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu and Gilbert Arenas out of desperation last year, and those deals flopped. Orlando was bounced in the first round of the playoffs and it is hard to blame Howard for being unhappy with the current construction of his team.

In this respect, Howard has an odd backer—commissioner David Stern.

"We accept the concept of free agency, and that's a bedrock," Stern said. "And I am supportive of that. We're always going to have some element of a player saying to his team, 'I don't want to continue in this place and when I play out my contract, I would like to see whether there is someplace else for me to play, and you get value for me.' "

That's what Howard has done, and though he sometimes stumbles over his own tongue and says things that get NBA observers riled up, there is actually some honor in how Howard has handled his situation, just as there was with Carmelo Anthony in Denver last year and with Chris Paul in New Orleans this year.

By letting his team know that he wants out, he gives the team the opportunity to get something in return. Compare that to how LeBron James handled leaving Cleveland, giving the team's management the impression that he might return when, in fact, he had pretty much decided that he would be leaving. That left Cleveland with very little in return. The same can be said for Chris Bosh in Toronto. The Cavs and Raptors were among the worst teams in the league last year, and will wind up in much the same position this year.

Both the Hornets and the Nuggets are looking much brighter for the future -- and for the present -- because their stars were traded. Howard has given his seven years to Orlando, and though he did not win a championship, it's a bit harsh to say that's his fault, or that his tenure with the Magic has been a failure. But he wants to be elsewhere, and that's understandable.

By giving his team the opportunity to trade him before he hits free agency, Howard at least is offering the Magic the chance to restock the cupboard on his way out.

Link

Part II: 'Bird Rights' are a myth

Part III: The luxury tax could pull apart the Heat

Part IV: Superstar trades won't become the norm

I always said Shaq was good in small doses. This is proving to be true. Also, if he mentions Javale McGee one more time, I'm gonna break my TV. I like how Ernie killed the discussion the other night when he said (paraphrase) "and when Javale McGee plays on TNT, we'll talk about him." Cold blooded.

Back
Top Bottom