♔ ~~~~| Celebrites Rockin Heat (fly gear/Fly kicks) VOL. 3 | ~~~~ ♔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krit
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by BIP Roberts
sick post.... who's this?
and I think tdot said it, but man I NEED a pair of DMP VIs in my life... glad to hear you rocked yours till the death tho, never a bad way to go out
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Vinod869

Originally Posted by BIP Roberts
sick post.... who's this?
and I think tdot said it, but man I NEED a pair of DMP VIs in my life... glad to hear you rocked yours till the death tho, never a bad way to go out
pimp.gif
dude in the pic is superbad solace from timeless truth

Got a pair of DMP VIs on Thursday
pimp.gif

Wore them yesterday and I already know it'll be hard as hell to stop myself from pulling these out for whatever occasion
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by truniversal

@BIP Roberts - I see what you're saying and you're right. Being part of any lifestyle requires that the participant know it's history. But these kids at Niketalk ain't up on game like that. They ain't taught to respect the history of what they're doing. It's evident by the way they carry themselves and how they dress. They scream Polo, but they rock it as if they're going to church or a college graduation. Homeboy even mentioned H&M in the same sentence as Lo. They think customizing Polo means doing some "design" work, but that ain't it. Real customization comes from taking gear and rocking it in a unique way.

I see you name dropping classic items and describing how it used to go down. I remember many of those joints and how brothers used to come up on gear with ease. Some of the Gods used to pop tags on USA shirts/sweaters and cross out the American Flag with pilot markers. But a lot of those techniques ain't applicable in this day and age. The pants these kids rock are too tight to be boosting and ain't nobody trying to go to jail over clothes. Those of us who know the time need to educate the youth in our real life areas, not on the internet. I say let these fools be as they are. When they finally come around to know what Aztec and Crossflag sweaters are, they just might buy them from you for double the current rate. Peace!
I hear you, my dude. And, you're right that times have changed. Hell, BFO is out of business and there'll never a be a place easier to rack Lo from than there.

But, the internet has changed things too - mainly in terms of access. That's why the life cycle of fads is so accelerated and exaggerated. Fads get bigger - meaning more widespread - than they ever were and everything rises and falls quicker than it ever did. (It's the same dynamic as the life cycle of celebrities as celebrities itself). This is because the internet has made everything very easy. As I said before, in my day, you first had to find that "Cross Colours was the brand of choice. Then, you had to figure out where you could buy it. Then, you had to get there, and all that. Even aside from the fact that if you were a herb you wouldn't come home with your gear, there were barriers to even acquiring it. Nowadays, you see Kanye tweet a pic, you ask for info on his pants on a forum, punch that into a search bar, whip out your credit card. And, viola, in 15 minutes you can be hundreds of dollars poorer and look like an idiot too! ...Hell, dude I was speaking to earlier mentioned Iceberg. Ask dudes who were rocking Berg how long it took to even find out where those Donald Duck sweaters were even sold.

I'm too old to be chasing the latest trends anyway, but this dynamic leads me to revert even further back to the classics. Vintage AF1s, vintage Polo, AM 95s, wool M&N jackets. Achieving greatness is easy compared to the challenge of sustaining it.

I'll leave y'all with this to chew on, and it applies to everything in today's era. A lot of hip hop heads claim that there isn't any more classic material in the internet age. Leaving aside the question of whether they are right, the more important question is whether the world would recognize such classic material were to be released now. People need to take a step back, chill, and appreciate the scenery for a minute. People are so "on to the next one" that they don't take time to really appreciate the now enough to realize the value of it. If "Illmatic" was released today, would it even be recognized as a great album? I dunno. You gotta listen to something countless times before proclaiming it great. I'm not sure people are willing to spend enough time with anything to even be able to recognize whether it is great today. And, perhaps that's why none of the stuff the kids are chasing today will ever reach the acme where Polo and Nike sit. ...The Tommy Hil fad lasted probably like 5-6 years; if it jumped off in 2010, it would be a distant memory already by now.

I grew up in that era as well when things were not as easy to acquire, lucky for me This was in NY so we knew at least Sammy's would have mostly anything we needed for what was in back then (iceberg, parasucos, pepe, Mecca, etc) and mom&pop shops reigned supreme with sneakers, the early days of BX sports....however I'm very thankful for the time we live in now, it's an effortless time when it comes to getting Ye clothes you like, you want vintage polo or sneakers, the resources are there for that, you want what Ye wore, the resources are there also if you have the money...what is wrong with that again??...I don't miss hopping from bus to bus, neighborhood to neighborhood in the hunt for some low white AF1's in my size, now if I wanted them all it takes is the click of a button and a PayPal account.

I honestly think you guys think wayyyyyyyyyyyy too deep into "looking fresh" If vintage Polo is your thing, then be it...if following Ye's latest fashiOn is your thing, who are we to say you look like an idiot?...you can very well look like a tool in some vintage AF1 and some vintage Polo, I think the idea that you are all missing is making it look effortless...like you didn't get up This morning and spent over an hour trying to put a fit together.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

I grew up in that era as well when things were not as easy to acquire, lucky for me This was in NY so we knew at least Sammy's would have mostly anything we needed for what was in back then (iceberg, parasucos, pepe, Mecca, etc) and mom&pop shops reigned supreme with sneakers, the early days of BX sports....however I'm very thankful for the time we live in now, it's an effortless time when it comes to getting Ye clothes you like, you want vintage polo or sneakers, the resources are there for that, you want what Ye wore, the resources are there also if you have the money...what is wrong with that again??...I don't miss hopping from bus to bus, neighborhood to neighborhood in the hunt for some low white AF1's in my size, now if I wanted them all it takes is the click of a button and a PayPal account.

I honestly think you guys think wayyyyyyyyyyyy too deep into "looking fresh" If vintage Polo is your thing, then be it...if following Ye's latest fashiOn is your thing, who are we to say you look like an idiot?...you can very well look like a tool in some vintage AF1 and some vintage Polo, I think the idea that you are all missing is making it look effortless...like you didn't get up This morning and spent over an hour trying to put a fit together.
Fair point on the latter. Whatever your thing is, that's fine. Everybody thinks their heyday was the best. Jerry Seinfeld once quipped that a man's wardrobe is a snap shot of what he thinks the best years of his life were. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. And, probably most of those kids who I think look like idiots think I look like one too. That's fine. I don't care about "being fresh" anyway or "breaking necks" on high school kids. Hell, most of the week I'm in crappy business attire that I buy off the racks at Century 21 because I don't really have a passion for that stuff but can't wear the stuff I do care about to work. So, I don't think hard about being fresh at all. I think about expressing my values and the culture I grew up with.

And, yes, I enjoy e-sneaker hunting too. And, I make use of all these tools as much as the next guy. The thing I want to remind you of, however, is that something is lost when you remove all barriers to being part of a culture. If you don't have to do anything to join a club, you are not going to respect the rules it has developed organically, or its history. You're going to eventually wreck it - the inmates will eventually run the asylum. And, that's the process that the internet fosters too. It's just a different world nowadays. There's definitely plenty to gain from it, but there's also a lot lost, but if you didn't know what it was like before, you don't realize what it was.

I posted a few times in the AF1 thread about Olafs, for example, if any of the NY heads remember those. They were just a pair of ball shorts sold out of a mom and pop store across the street from Taft projects in NYC. They're basically the archetype of all modern ball shorts that are sold at your local Sports Authority, and they inspired countless knock-offs. ...The knock off designs became so ubiquitous that few even remember the originals. ...Why were they so hot? Part of it was that you had to go to the projects in Harlem to get 'em. Boom, immediately, suckers need not apply. That's an extreme example, but nothing of that dynamic exists anymore today. A culture can't "protect itself" from interlopers anymore.

It's alright though, I'm not really mad like that. The kids can keep lining up for sneakers for less than minimum wage. Hey, go buy some spraypaint to go bombing with while you're at it.

Big K.R.I.T never disappoints. He's up there with Wale in the best of this thread, we just don't see as much KRIT as we do Wale.

My son brought it back to Olas!
laugh.gif

Back when It was the go to attire for any basketball pickup game in the school yard, hell I lived in Olas for a good majority of the summers growing up...lol...good job on the nostalgic example.

You gotta understand though, times change and all we can do is adapt, when we were kids we knew the spots that would have the Jays early and so we knew that if we wanted them we would have to pay 20-40 over retail to have them no more than a week or two, that's what it came down...you knew the spots that carried the "hot" brands, the spot with the best fitteds, it wasn't so much about "connects" but just knowing where to go, I remember Frank's on Tremont up until maybe 7 years ago you would walk in and walk out with some Gems!...I walked in there last year after years of going in, thinking..."hmm I wonder what I'll down in the basement"...left disappointed...lol I guess not even that store can compete with the tier 0 boutiques that get all the exclusives...

It upsets me that things have evolved from knowing the spots and being a loyal customer and paying a little extra to have the pair of kicks you wanted early, to what it is today...a generation of sneaker heads who don't mind sitting outside a store for 5 weeks waiting for a pair of kicks with the sole intention to flip them for whatever profit they think they are getting...but that's today's generation, we are part of a different generation bro.

^was just about to post that, did they seriously make those with upside down swooshes or is that a flaw?

Originally Posted by jst628

^was just about to post that, did they seriously make those with upside down swooshes or is that a flaw?

The dunks are flying off the shelves now!!!LOLPinches Hypebeasts

swooshes are velcroed on, can be taken off and turned upside down.

It's removable (It has velcro under it)

Smoke DZA's Foamposite collection
4t7vk8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom