⚽️THE FOOTY THREAD: PSG v Bayern

Who Will Win Champions League?

• Bayern Munich

• Paris Saint-Germain

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If only it was that simple :lol: For reference, the Dutch speaking part of Belgium is the Flanders region. The French speaking part is the Wallonia region. Think of it as north (Flanders) and south (Wallonia), with Brussels inbetween. Each of those 3 has their own government. Additionally you also have the small German speaking region, which is located in the south but also has its own government.
It's a very complicated system.

Municipal government -> Provincial government -> Flemish/Wallonian/German/Brussels regional government -> Federal government.

It's true that the Flemish tend to dislike the south and secession has actually been a prominent topic in our politics, though it has diminished a lot in recent years.
Part of the problem is that learning French is mandatory in Flanders but it's not necessarily mandatory in the Wallonia region to learn Dutch. You can see this pretty clearly in our parliament, where a lot of Wallonian politicians have to wear earpieces with a translator.

To show you how bad this problem can be, Belgium currently holds the Guiness World Record for longest time spent without a functioning government in peacetime.
541 days to be exact, all because Flanders and Wallonia couldn't agree on which side got to claim certain towns on the regional border. Some of those towns' populations wanted to split because of the language barrier dividing their communities and then both sides argued endlessly over who got to keep what.
The worst part was that we initially took over the record from a war-torn Iraq and that still wasn't a wakeup call for another 200 days or so.

As for my username, I would've taken Void but it was unavailable when I joined. I decided to just go with a Young Scooter song I liked at the time :lol:

Thanks, yea I’ve skimmed articles about Belgium throughout the years, to me it always seemed very divided but it’s maintained due to Belguim being so prosperous.

541 days :lol: wow

Are you in Brussels? Do you speak both the languages?

Also, you think by 2050 Belgium will be split?

Last edited:
Thanks, yea I’ve skimmed articles about Belgium throughout the years, to me it always seemed very divided but it’s maintained due to Belguim being so prosperous.

541 days :lol: wow

Are you in Brussels? Do you speak both the languages?

Also, you think by 2050 Belgium will be split?
I live in the Flanders region. My French is somewhat decent I suppose but honestly I prefer speaking English if I'm in the south. I can speak Dutch and English very fluently but my French is passable at best. I know a little bit of German as well but only basic communications.

I don't see Belgium splitting, after all secession is almost exclusively a Flemish thing. For what it's worth, the Wallonians balance our politics out a bit. Flanders leans far more to the right (on our political spectrum) whereas Wallonia leans more slightly left of center. I don't see how we could split without the cooperation of the other half of the country, and they clearly don't want to.

Through watching football I've come to learn just divided these European countries are, Spain you got your nationalist areas, basque, Catalonia, Andalusia, etc..., Itlay you got the north and south divide, the UK got plenty of these issues and it goes on it on.

Through watching football I've come to learn just divided these European countries are, Spain you got your nationalist areas, basque, Catalonia, Andalusia, etc..., Itlay you got the north and south divide, the UK got plenty of these issues and it goes on it on.

Don’t forget Galicia which is basically Portugal. It’s our land, they’re our brothers. You ever see a Celta Vigo game and bunch of Portuguese flags out, they themselves hate being identified as Spaniards.

But like Castile has done for hundreds of years, they just want own territories just for the sake of “flexing”. From Galicia, to the Basques, to the Catalans. I swear nothing pisses me off more than Madrid.

I live in the Flanders region. My French is somewhat decent I suppose but honestly I prefer speaking English if I'm in the south. I can speak Dutch and English very fluently but my French is passable at best. I know a little bit of German as well but only basic communications.

I don't see Belgium splitting, after all secession is almost exclusively a Flemish thing. For what it's worth, the Wallonians balance our politics out a bit. Flanders leans far more to the right (on our political spectrum) whereas Wallonia leans more slightly left of center. I don't see how we could split without the cooperation of the other half of the country, and they clearly don't want to.

Thanks bro, that’s the cool thing about this thread. You can learn something new everyday due to the fact we’re globalists.

Even London itself is very divided
It tripped me out how different their accents are just in the different parts of London

Also Verde Shuttles Verde Shuttles not trying to come out and sound like some douche who’s “mansplaining” but you can’t compare Andalusia to the Catalan-Valencian, Galicia, or the Basques movements

Andalusia is Castellano, they’ve always been part of Castile. They’ve always been Madrid loyalists and they speak Castellano/Spanish. Yes they have a completely different accent, yes they have their own culture.... but it’s still Castellano. It’s like comparing the USA North and South. Their identity is Castellano.

The Catalan, Basque, and Galicia movements are not “regional rivalries” like Andalusia. They’re separatist movements that go back hundreds of years. They all speak different languages and have completely different cultures. Galician is Portuguese, they created Portugal 900 years ago. Catalonia has always had their own thing since the Aragon crown, and Basques go back before the Roman Empire (they're the most unique culture in all of Europe).

Spain is UNLIKE any European country.. It’s four different countries forced to live under the “España umbrella”. It’s like Belguim x 3 :lol:. This is why I think “ESPAÑA” doesn’t have more National trophies in the last 100 years. There is always tension and beef with Spain’s National players.

Spain doesn’t have even have national anthem FFS, it’s just a bunch of horns and trumpets. There is no patriotism. There never will be...

Yes they won it in 2010 - but talent wise, they were LONG overdue.

Last edited:

Also Verde Shuttles Verde Shuttles not trying to come out and sound like some douche who’s “mansplaining” but you can’t compare Andalusia to the Catalan-Valencian, Galicia, or the Basques movements

Andalusia is Castellano, they’ve always been part of Castile. They’ve always been Madrid loyalists and they speak Castellano/Spanish. Yes they have a completely different accent, yes they have their own culture.... but it’s still Castellano. It’s like comparing the USA North and South. Their identity is Castellano.

The Catalan, Basque, and Galicia movements are not “regional rivalries” like Andalusia. They’re separatist movements that go back hundreds of years. They all speak different languages and have completely different cultures. Galician is Portuguese, they created Portugal 900 years ago. Catalonia has always had their own thing since the Aragon crown, and Basques go back before the Roman Empire (they're the most unique culture in all of Europe).

Spain is UNLIKE any European country.. It’s four different countries forced to live under the “España umbrella”. It’s like Belguim x 3 :lol:. This is why I think “ESPAÑA” doesn’t have more National trophies in the last 100 years. There is always tension and beef with Spain’s National players.

Spain doesn’t have even have national anthem FFS, it’s just a bunch of horns and trumpets. There is no patriotism. There never will be...

Yes they won it in 2010 - but talent wise, they were LONG overdue.

Nah I find this stuff interesting and don't really understand it all so all information is welcomed

Andalusians have the best looking women in Spain IMO due to the heavier Moorish influence. My bad if this isn't an important fact to add to the discussion :lol:

It's always weird to me when some Arab looking Spaniard is at a pro-fascist rally or some @#$@.

Same applies for many darker Italians, who are obviously the worst offenders. You'd think an ethnicity that went overseas by the millions in search of a better life and faced so much discrimination wouldn't be such hypocrites towards African/Middle Eastern migrants (even if you ignore the relation all these people had for thousands of years in human history)

Last edited:
Champions league clubs squads have been announced.
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2619647.html

something to note is Can was left out of Juve's squad after promising he was. was given an offer at PSG but stayed because the promise.

"I am shocked and angry. Last week, the club promised me something else, yesterday the coach called me and told me in less than a minute that I was not in the squad "

Champions league clubs squads have been announced.
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2619647.html

something to note is Can was left out of Juve's squad after promising he was. was given an offer at PSG but stayed because the promise.

"I am shocked and angry. Last week, the club promised me something else, yesterday the coach called me and told me in less than a minute that I was not in the squad "

those bums tried to get rakitic for emre can in a straight swap

Nah I find this stuff interesting and don't really understand it all so all information is welcomed

My mother’s village (aldeia) is literally 7km away from Galicia, I’ve been there plenty of times.

Check out these photos of the border from a few years ago....

Translation: “Galicia is NOT SPAIN”. The sign is littered with bullet holes and BB’s.

BE238989-8D50-4A43-AE71-B7125CA1818C.jpeg

Extra photos because I’m so tall, dark, and handsome.... “Douro River”

78C2BBE3-36B6-442B-BDA9-1077A8F88773.jpeg

The Holy land, Guimarães (first ever Portuguese City)

03FB1CC6-B950-4A9D-9ED6-05FD99F7334B.jpeg

My Fathers village in Arcos

092891C1-127A-43FF-A7E8-463613748120.jpeg

My mother’s village (aldeia) is literally 7km away from Galicia, I’ve been there plenty of times.

Check out these photos of the border from a few years ago....

Translation: “Galicia is NOT SPAIN”. The sign is littered with bullet holes and BB’s.

Extra photos because I’m so tall, dark, and handsome.... “Douro River”

The Holy land, Guimarães (first ever Portuguese City)

My Fathers village in Arcos

092891C1-127A-43FF-A7E8-463613748120.jpeg

Definitely need to check out more of northern Portugal next time I head there. Usually I only have time to kick it in Lisboa

BTW you don't look Northern AT ALL :lol:

Andalusians have the best looking women in Spain IMO due to the heavier Moorish influence. My bad if this isn't an important fact to add to the discussion :lol:

It's always weird to me when some Arab looking Spaniard is at a pro-fascist rally or some @#$@.

Same applies for many darker Italians, who are obviously the worst offenders. You'd think an ethnicity that went overseas by the millions in search of a better life and faced so much discrimination wouldn't be such hypocrites towards African/Middle Eastern migrants (even if you ignore the relation all these people had for thousands of years in human history)

Most def relevant to the convo

giphy.gif

Definitely need to check out more of northern Portugal next time I head there. Usually I only have time to kick it in Lisboa

BTW you don't look Northern AT ALL :lol:

Yea :lol:

You see my little cousin in the hammock with with me tho? Blonde hair and blue eyes :lol: (Portugal is nuts with genes man! We’re so mixed!)

Yea I definitely got more Moor in my veins. :lol:

Here’s the funny thing tho.... my father has 5 siblings. They’re all dark, blue eyed, but very short. My dads tallest brother is 5’6, he looks like bald fat version of Jesus Navas.

But for some strange reason my father grew to be 6’2 but no blue eyes with a full head of hair. (Genetics are nuts in Iberia and Italy!)

I guess that’s why I became 6’3 :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom