⚽️THE FOOTY THREAD: PSG v Bayern

Who Will Win Champions League?

• Bayern Munich

• Paris Saint-Germain

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

i often wonder why Zidane isn’t considered in the top 5 universally.

Mans won EVERYTHING as a player and yet people seem to overlook him when the GOAT discussion comes around. Had he won the 2006 WC would he be in Top 5 undisputedly?

(for the record I believe Zidane is one of the best players I’ve ever seen play, definitely Top 5)

Welp. Once Boris went into the ICU I figured this was gonna happen. Now the question is do they award a champion or not

i often wonder why Zidane isn’t considered in the top 5 universally.

Mans won EVERYTHING as a player and yet people seem to overlook him when the GOAT discussion comes around. Had he won the 2006 WC would he be in Top 5 undisputedly?

(for the record I believe Zidane is one of the best players I’ve ever seen play, definitely Top 5)

he was never consistent, to me he was the most graceful player I’ve ever seen. The fluidity of his passing and skills were out of this world. However, he was never really a dominant guy.
He only won the Balon D’or once. One of the greatest midfielders ever, but to say he is top 5 ever? That’s a stretch.

he was never consistent, to me he was the most graceful player I’ve ever seen. The fluidity of his passing and skills were out of this world. However, he was never really a dominant guy.
He only won the Balon D’or once. One of the greatest midfielders ever, but to say he is top 5 ever? That’s a stretch.

what do you base consistency on? (Not arguing/debating you just wanted to gain insight)

We’re talking about the main reason why France won their World Cup, and also the reason why they did horrendous in 2002 (picked up a knock in the first game and missed following group stage games). He single handedly carried France to the 2006 final and was the cornerstone of the Galacticos (albeit they won next to nothing during this time period because RM only focused on quality from the attacking half)

the man was dominant, graceful, and down right disgusting with the ball on his feet.

What is the criteria for Top5?

are we really leveraging Goals that highly? One could argue that is the only reason CR7 is on anyone’s list... if Pele didn’t have 1000 goals would he still be on your Top5?

Top any number of players is tough because soccer has always had new athletes come in and redefine the sport. I think a better optic would be “Most iconic/ influential” players

I think we all really saying the same thing. Just defining it based on what we value. Literally top 5 .. go

Top 5 players of all time

Pele 🇧🇷 - look up his highlights
Ronaldo 🇵🇹 - no argument
Messi 🇦🇷 - no argument
Maradona 🇦🇷 - he wasnt human
Beckenbaur 🇩🇪 - they said he was the greatest defender ever

My personal top 5

Zidane 🇫🇷
Pele 🇧🇷
Ronaldinho 🇧🇷
Ronaldo 🇵🇹
Van Nistelrooy 🇳🇱

I'm only gonna name players I actually got to watch a lot of live (on tv of course). This is more of a favorite 5 cause a top 5 best players is damn near impossible. In no particular order:

Dinho
Cristiano
Messi
Zlatan
Lewandowski

I think a lot of these lists could be more interesting if we excluded CR and Messi. Maybe even Pele and Maradona too. When you include them it doesn’t leave much room for other names and debate.

Also maybe only players we’ve actually watched?

1.Sturridge (Liverpool)
2.Sturridge(England)
3.Sturridge(Chelsea)
4.Sturridge(City)
5.Sturridge(Westbrom)

A14F5DFD-CD0B-4041-86E0-85B7B5F5A617.gif

I think a lot of these lists could be more interesting if we excluded CR and Messi. Maybe even Pele and Maradona too. When you include them it doesn’t leave much room for other names and debate.

True that.

Dinho
Lewandowski
Ribery
Iniesta
Zlatan

agreed,

Ronaldo
Zidane
Ronaldinho
Maldini
Ramos

True that.

Dinho
Lewandowski
Ribery
Iniesta
Zlatan

See, I appreciate this because Ribery is a name we’d never see otherwise. Is it injuries that put him above Robben for you, or do you think if both of them are at their best that Ribery is still better?

See, I appreciate this because Ribery is a name we’d never see otherwise. Is it injuries that put him above Robben for you, or do you think if both of them are at their best that Ribery is still better?

Honestly, it was a toss up between the 2 for me. I picked ribery because the treble season in 2013 was ridiculous. He should've won the Balon D'or imo, but yeah they were both so much fun to watch for me when they were at their peaks. Should've put "Robbery" up there to bypass the rules slightly :lol:

Picking 5 is pretty tough given the sheer number of great players that have been around, a top 10 would be a little easier but if we're sticking with 5 rn

Top 5 greatest (based on legacy/accolades etc, didn't nesecarilly get to watch them in real time):

Messi
Pele
Ron
Maradona
Maldini

Top 5 favorites I've actually gotten to watch during their careers:

Dinho
R9
Henry
Zizou
Kaka

HM: Gilardino, Eto'o, RVN, Adriano and Roberto Carlos

You can say I'm a little partial to Brazilians :lol:

I would've also included Robinho since I was a big stan when I was younger but him going to Citeh kinda soured things :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom