⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehhhhhh. He’s still wilding with the women needing a story. Bron’s story is of him being a 16 year old phenom. The girl from Connecticut is a phenom too but her story isn’t going to resonate with causal fans because casual fans don’t care about women’s basketball.

the WNBA has grown in large part due to the league. But he sounds like a problem and not the solution.

Yeah. Dray should’ve chose how he said what he said better. He has a point tho. The previous tweet cut him off before he could get into the meat of things, and it’s an easy headline to run with and take out of context some.

I mean I get his point but what if those women do exactly what he says and companies disagree or they actually follow through and revenue still doesn't increase? Then what?

How do these women get paid more overseas than stateside? Is revenue stronger over there?

I never understood why they took Wilcox and then a few picks later took Melvin Ely, who were basically the same type of player :lol:

The late, great Elgin Baylor (RIP), had an interesting track record as a GM. I’ll blame it mostly on having to work for Don Sterling.

If a LeBron doc dropped today, it'd be top 2 highest watched thing that week, it could just be 45 minutes about his family life, LeBron talking about his cars, LeBron tells HGTV about his house, LeBron on Food Network tells his favorite restaurants, LeBron on MTV talking his favorite albums, doesn't even matter. Someone produces a Tarasi documentary and runs it during primetime, ****s getting toasted by background noise tv. And reruns are going to the Bolivia that is OWN or Lifetime VII

Women’s interest is the biggest issue the WNBA faces. Why don’t they address that?

I thought about that. Serious question for y'all who might have kids/nieces who hoop or are involved with coaching youth girl's basketball - what form of basketball are young female hoopers watching? Like between WNBA, NBA, NCAAW and NCAAM, what are you tuning into for their hoops fix?

Perry Jones III was drafted 1 (maybe 2?) spots before Draymond Green. Imagine if yall had taken him

Personally, I think Draymond is way overestimating how much impact players’ “stories” have on the popularity of the game even on the men’s side. On court performance is the main thing. We watch to see the best players perform. If someone isn’t good, nobody’s going to care about his story.

I’ve said on here before that I don’t really watch the WNBA. I’ve tried and just can’t get into it, with the exception of a few playoff match ups. Basically the same way I feel about men’s college basketball. Just not into the overall product. Knowing more about Elena Delle Donne’s life story isn’t going to change that.

I agree generally with the point that women's players are not marketed nearly in the same fashion men's are, and that might be causing the WNBA to got get potential fans, and in turn, hurts its revenue potential. I think the impact might be much smaller than he presents it as. More generally, there is a lot of disrespect hurled at women players that is BS.

However

There was a time when large companies tried that when the WNBA first launched. In the last 90s NBA, the NBA, Nike and Reebok all gave women's basketball a large marketing push. There were NIke sigs specifically attached to women's players. NBC did profiles on women players like they did dudes like Penny. It didn't work, unfortunately. Marketing can only go so far.

Still think it would be smart business for the NBA to help guarantee is a very good minimum wage for WNBA players. Star WNBA players take up most of the conversation when they talk about pay disparity. The PR standpoint the NBA can say that the market dictates where star players can make millions, we are most concerned with making sure every woman in the league can make a salary where they can live comfortably, take care of their family, have great health insurance, and a pension to look forward to when they get older.

Last edited:
Another issue the WNBA faces is lack of promotion and hype. It’s not there organically so you have to manufacture it. Also I just never know when a damn game is on. I’d watch WNBA games while the NBA is in the off-season just to get a basketball fix .

The peak time to have had this discussion would have been when solidly above average but not all star or all anything also ran *** Mike Conley dominated HORSE from his state of the art, indoor, home gym in his compound while (Zach Lavine was on his own court too on his property but it was outdoors) while WNBA players where having to contend with wind and traffic in their uneven driveways in culdesacs where normal people live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom