⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think Brad Stevens is a very good coach. He probably was overrated for a time, but not dramatically. That said, even with good coaches there can come a point - to take a quote from Doc Rivers - where the pairing of a particular coach and group of players can get "stale" and plateau. The Celtics and Stevens may be at that point - although it kind of difficult to tell because there's never been a point during this season when they've had all their rotation guys completely health and available.

We have finally reached the time where the media has officially started about Brad Stevens. What do the Celtics fans think? Some of the pundits are saying Danny Ainge should go first which I would lean towards. I am also aware they may feel there is not a better replacement so they're kind of stuck. But even so, he's been in charge since like what? 03? Off the top of my head his biggest accomplishments for the storied franchise are: winning the 2008 championship, pulling off the 2013 Nets trade, drafting JB and JT, not cashing out IT and ALMOST making a bunch of deals for superstars. Reminds me of Jay-Z's commentary on Nas in Takeover

I personally don't really care much about coaches in the NBA. Feel like they're the least important out of the big 4 sports. Would be completely neutral on a coaching change. Seems like he's a pretty good at what he does, I just don't know if he's a "player coach" which seems to be the trend.

Can't knock AInge too much. He's provided good talent for Boston not being a destination city. I think they've only missed the playoffs 2-3x since he took over. Got the Big 3, won a finals, lost a finals, made a few conference finals, underachieved a couple years, hit on some picks, missed some, signed some good FA's. He's a savvy GM, but I could get why a change to shake things up would be something people want.

08F0E2E5-C3C9-4746-AAC4-789B5F560CD4.jpeg

762996D5-904F-4D11-BA70-B56C26A8B4CE.jpeg

E08260F4-5902-478D-B0EA-9DD715A05B40.jpeg

So we have pretty good sample size showing that buyout players are average 2 games and 10 minutes per round...are Blake and LMA going to be the exception?

next paragraph lol:
For now, it is unclear how much Aldridge has left in his career. At the end, the Spurs were skeptical. Griffin plays below the rim now but has still shown an ability to impact games with his shooting and passing. The Cleveland Cavaliers chose center Jarrett Allen over Drummond, who has made the playoffs twice in his career.

39 players out of how many buyouts over the years is a decent sample size but maybe it's more an indicator of the level/quality of players contending teams go for in the buyout market. seems like the majority of guys are bench filler/end of the rotation players and then once in awhile you get a full on rotation player/starter level guy to fill a hole

to answer your question: yes, but they still washed :lol:

heres the full article for yall
The NBA is hearing the renewed calls from small-market executives to overhaul the buyout free-agency system, an insistence that the odds are unfairly weighted against them and that the salary-cap system has been contorted to satisfy the glamour markets' supply of star talent for championship runs.

With Andre Drummond going to the Los Angeles Lakers and Blake Griffin and LaMarcus Aldridge to the Brooklyn Nets, there are front-office executives determined to push the commissioner's office to reexamine the process of post-trade-deadline buyouts. If the clear-eyed reality is that these players are simply faded All-Stars released from the back end of expensive contracts, the visual of them flocking to superteam rosters in two marquee markets does cast a chilling impact on the league's collective psyche.

Whatever the front-office objections, the NBA will counter with this data: Over the past 15 years, there are 39 buyout players who averaged two games and 10 minutes per NBA playoff round. Twenty were signed into top-15 markets -- and 19 into the rest. Out of the 13 of 39 players joining teams that advanced to the conference championship, three were signed in top-15 markets. It has always been rare for buyout players to sway playoff destinies and championship chases, but the pursuit of them is forever intensive.

For now, it is unclear how much Aldridge has left in his career. At the end, the Spurs were skeptical. Griffin plays below the rim now but has still shown an ability to impact games with his shooting and passing. The Cleveland Cavaliers chose center Jarrett Allen over Drummond, who has made the playoffs twice in his career.

Veteran guard JJ Redick unloaded on New Orleans Pelicans executive David Griffin for moving him to the Dallas Mavericks at the trade deadline -- and not fulfilling his hope for a trade closer to his family in Brooklyn, or agreeing to a contract buyout that would've allowed him to choose a team. Redick has struggled this season, fighting injuries and shooting a career-low 36.3% on 3-pointers. How Redick, 36, will impact a team this year remains unclear.

In the cases of Griffin and Aldridge, they gave up a combined $20 million to sign for a prorated veteran's minimum with Brooklyn. The Nets had the ability to use larger available exceptions to sign Griffin and Aldridge but never offered them. Historical data shows that buyout players have chased winning situations, not big markets. In some instances, those opportunities collided to become one.

For the first time in two decades, New York has a championship contender: Brooklyn. Los Angeles never imagined it would be in the market for a center, but free agent Marc Gasol has struggled this season. The most impactful buyout player in the marketplace two years ago -- Enes Kanter -- picked the Portland Trail Blazers over the Lakers.

Beyond the destinations that players choose in buyouts and free agency, there comes this too: Is this model equitable to teams unable to trade those players for assets prior to the deadline? What frustrates teams is the power of the agents to depress the marketplace on trades for potential buyout candidates. Essentially, powerful agents can discourage prospective trade partners for the primary purpose of getting a post-deadline buyout and the ability to sign in a preferred destination.

From threats of a player shutting down for the season -- or performing infrequently -- to an agent's implied future retribution involving access to his free-agent clients or draft prospects, it's often easier for teams to walk away from trade talks than to take on a player hell-bent on a buyout.

As a way to recapture some control of the process, NBA GMs have discussed pursuit of options including a blind bidding system, similar to how amnesty claims have functioned; a compensatory draft provision that delivers second-round picks from a player's new team to the old one; even moving the buyout market ahead of the trade deadline to make it harder for agents and players to manipulate the process.

The NBA has never brought legislation for the competition committee or the board of governors to vote on, nor made recalibrating the rules on buyout free agency an issue in collective bargaining talks with the National Basketball Players Association. The union will always side on the freedom of movement for players, so it'll stay on the side of status quo -- unless there's something of significance to trade on in CBA talks.

When the NBA and NBPA reconvene ahead of the 2023-2024 CBA renewal talks, the NBA plans to consider wrapping this buyout conversation into broader discussion, sources said. Commissioner Adam Silver's office doesn't see so much of an issue of fairness between big and small markets, but perhaps more a process that it is contradictory to the financial system's goals. The idea of adding an impact player for simply the cash and cap cost of a prorated minimum salary stands somewhat in contradiction to the prohibitive luxury tax costs that are designed to accompany big payrolls.

The NBA does want to find a way to make the buyout pool players available to more teams than just the contenders, sources say, but that's hard to do without significant changes to the process. That'll take the league pushing hard on the NBPA -- with an understanding that its agents and players will want to push back. For all of the difficult CBA discussions ahead on the league's financial system, it'll take more than just front-office executives to drive significant change. Owners will have to take up the cause, and they'll have to make it a priority to change.

For now, anyway, the Brooklyn Nets still have one more available roster spot.

One thing that always blows my mind about that 2002 UMD squad is that Chris Wilcox flipped a 12/7 sophomore campaign and impactful tournament championship run into becoming a Top 10 pick (I know lawdog1 lawdog1 has his jersey somewhere), playing 11 years in the league and earning ~$40MM him :pimp:

I never understood why they took Wilcox and then a few picks later took Melvin Ely, who were basically the same type of player :lol:

More context to what Draymond said....he smart

Ehhhhhh. He’s still wilding with the women needing a story. Bron’s story is of him being a 16 year old phenom. The girl from Connecticut is a phenom too but her story isn’t going to resonate with causal fans because casual fans don’t care about women’s basketball.

the WNBA has grown in large part due to the league. But he sounds like a problem and not the solution.

Just putting tthat part of the quote in the first tweet takes it out of context some, and that's what the media is going to run with, but it still doesn't get like TONS better, it's just not as bad as taking stop complaining and running that headline alone.

I guess the female player who posted the different gyms at the NCAA tournament on tik tok, and the ncaa recieved so much backlash they said they were going to do something about it (I dont know if they did or not) could be an example of what Dray is saying there should be more of, but it's kind of a cyclical point because fact is their voices and opinions are valued less so putting pressure on multi million dollar national companies or whatever to increase investment into them, so they can produce more revenue, without having enough revenue for those people to care, won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom