⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without KG there would be no AD
Without AD, the Lakers would still be winning 45 games

Yes, KG

tenor.gif

Not sure Kobe belongs. He didn't "further" the game. He was just a Jordan Carbon Copy for the most part.

KG or Dirk would make more sense.

I also would say Magic over LeBron. LeBron is an anomaly Magic is responsible for LeBron and all oversized primary ballhandlers. (Penny, Pippen, Grant Hill, TMAC, LeBron)

So for as long as I have been watching basketball I would say

Jordan
Steph
KG
Magic

Dirk honorable mention.

I think there is a difference between INFLUENTIAL, which is what the IG shows, and TRANSFORMATIONAL, which is the list you proposed. I mean that in the sense that influential quite literally means having an #Influence on players while transformational is moreso #Influence on the game and how it's played.

So it's not to say that the guys you mentioned didn't influence players while they were coming up but I just personally believe the players from the IG had a bigger influence on up and coming players.

I'd definitely replace KG w/ Dirk. Before Dirk (or maybe AK47, or Peja) there was really no stretch big man.
I'd leave Kobe off simply because he didn't change the game, just sustained it once MJ left. That's not a slight, just facts
Also agree w/ adding Magic/Bird to the mix because they made basketball a household sport.

Magic/Bird made professional basketball fun to watch, Jordan made it global, Dirk/Peja/AK47 revolutionized the stretch big man, and Steph changed the way the game is played now behind the arc

I mean if you think that is the ONLY reason KG was included that is on you. DO your homeworks on Ticket. I honestly don't think his place in being a revolutionary needs explaining.

100% true
Dumb unnecessarily aggressive reply. I’m 32, I watched KG’s entire career. He isn’t as influential as other options period and doesn’t belong on that list.

I think there is a difference between INFLUENTIAL, which is what the IG shows, and TRANSFORMATIONAL, which is the list you proposed. I mean that in the sense that influential quite literally means having an #Influence on players while transformational is moreso #Influence on the game and how it's played.

So it's not to say that the guys you mentioned didn't influence players while they were coming up but I just personally believe the players from the IG had a bigger influence on up and coming players.

I got you. That makes sense. I didn't look at it that way.

So in terms of INFLUENCE

Iverson
Jordan
Magic
LeBron

Dumb unnecessarily aggressive reply. I’m 32, I watched KG’s entire career. He isn’t as influential as other options period and doesn’t belong on that list.
"Period" - :lol:
He definitely belongs in that category.

He was the Revolutionary big of the Late 90s that could do everything.

Athletic
Defend
Handle
Pass
Face-Up

We can agree to disagree but he opened the doors for a generation of the "DO everything bigs" archetype.

I got you. That makes sense. I didn't look at it that way.

So in terms of INFLUENCE

Iverson
Jordan
Magic
LeBron

This is a hot take and it might be because I grew up with him but I would replace Magic with Kobe (and no, I'm not giving him a post-mortem bump). I do agree about him being a Carbon Copy Jordan :smile:lol: at that analogy by the way) but it's felt like damn near every player of the past decade has looked up to dude...in part because he is a Carbon Copy Jordan, if that makes sense.

Good discussion to start the morning, got my brain working :lol:

"Period" - :lol:

Athletic
Defend
Handle
Pass
Face-Up

We can agree to disagree but he opened the doors for a generation of the "DO everything bigs" archetype.
Man that dude is extremely condescending lol

I wish C Webb got the love KG did. Sure he wasn’t the defender but it’s amazing what a title does for you
Webber was definitely a special talent man. You are right, "winning" does a lot of a person's reputation.

Webber definitely did a lot to further the game and we would be talking about him with the greats had his TEAMS won.

But we know what happened there. :nerd:

Oh and KG will tell you C Webb influenced him
Yep

Athletic
Defend
Handle
Pass
Face-Up

We can agree to disagree but he opened the doors for a generation of "DO everything bigs" archetype.
See I know KG was a wonderkid at his size, but to the topic before I see him as more evolutionary than transformational. At least compared to a Dirk, or Steph that immediately created new archetypes that successful players followed. KG did lead to an immediate burst of drafting long “skilled” high school kids but most of them busted.

I personally always disliked KG’s offensive game with how much he relied on those short range jumpers but that’s just my taste.

Break down C Webbs influence for me because I feel like most of these modern bigs (AD, Bam, KAT, Embiid, Wood, etc...) are obviously heavily influenced by KG

See I know KG was a wonderkid at his size, but to the topic before I see him as more evolutionary than transformational. KG did lead to an immediate burst of drafting long “skilled” high school kids but most of them busted.

I personally always disliked KG’s offensive game with how much he relied on those short range jumpers but that’s just my taste.

So you are punishing KG for , "KG did lead to an immediate burst of drafting long “skilled” high school kids but most of them busted."

But are you ALSO going to do the same for Dirk? How many Faceup Euros didn't pan out after Dirk rose to Stardom? Many.

Be consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom