⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
EtNIi3pXEAAucnP.jpg

IDC IDC IDC if it's a fake quote.

The entitlement from some of these fans is disgusting.

I agree with Barkley, players should be allowed to just go at one fan

i firmly believe for all people in life the realization that you could potentially get checked would change a lot of people’s energy

but I always look at this shhh and think artest and the pacers got a raw deal

1612274392991.jpeg

I agree with Barkley, players should be allowed to just go at one fan

i firmly believe for all people in life the realization that you could potentially get checked would change a lot of people’s energy

but I always look at this shhh and think artest and the pacers got a raw deal

1612274392991.jpeg

Why all these chicks made from the same leather? :smh:

Fans should not be courtside anyway. :smh:

NBA looking real desperate for money. Are the ads all over the arena/jerseys and cars courtside not generating enough $$$?

A Bradley Beal trade? Sources say he doesn’t want one right now. Inside the situation in D.C.

Bradley Beal is frustrated — but not because he’d rather be somewhere else. It’s a fluid world, especially in the middle of an unpredictable pandemic and difficult economic times, but for now, the Wizards and Beal stand in the same place they did entering the season.

Beal has so far expressed he wants to remain in Washington and has not indicated he prefers to be traded, sources with knowledge of the situation tell The Athletic. The Wizards, in turn, have no interest in trading him. Amid calls from the general public and even ones from around the league that a team at the bottom of the standings would be best off dealing its prized player, Washington has made it clear it has no plans to move him.

He is privately frustrated and confused with the perpetual portrayal of his situation, according to sources familiar with his thinking. After seeing other players take criticism for requesting to leave teams, those sources say Beal feels he’s getting nitpicked for choosing to stay in D.C., where he began his NBA career in 2012. He felt similarly when he signed an extension in October 2019. Speculation about his future has swirled since before then.

Beal, who leads the league in scoring at 34.9 points per game, has firmly placed himself as a candidate to make the All-Star and All-NBA team. He is under contract for one more season after this one and has made his home in the D.C. area. And yet, the league’s microscope has forced itself onto him, parsing his every action and word after a 4-12 start to the season for the Wizards, who have suffered through coronavirus issues and injuries.

There is a long way to go until the March 25 trade deadline, but several teams that would be in the hunt for Beal do not expect him to become available this season.

“(The Wizards) have maintained what they’ve always maintained,” one rival executive said. “They’re building something in Washington around Beal.”

For years, between claims he wants to retire as a Wizard, Beal has shared a consistent viewpoint. His first priority is to win with the Wizards, the franchise that drafted the 27-year-old when he was just a teenager. He’s giving them opportunities to show it can happen.

Phrases like “the grass isn’t always greener” pop up commonly when reporters ask him about trades. He’s infatuated with Dirk Nowitzki’s sole title in Dallas, which came during year 13 and after seasons of battling for the organization that drafted him. Nowitzki retired after 21 NBA seasons and never played for anyone other than the Mavericks. Beal has continually expressed his ultimate goal is to leave a similar legacy with the Wizards.

His game has evolved over the past half-decade, transforming from one predicated on off-ball shooting to one that boasts a complete attack. He finished second in the NBA in scoring last season and is averaging four more points per game than the second-place Kevin Durant this year. He’s become the unquestioned face of the franchise after the John Wall trade.

The Wizards have treated him as their No. 1, as well. The front office has asked for his thoughts on consequential transactions. They’re handing him more on-court responsibilities than ever. He leads the NBA in usage rate. The role comes with responsibility and privilege. Only a handful of players boast that honor within an organization, and Beal has always aspired to be one of them.

The trade-angled narratives aren’t new, only more intense as the national spotlight shifts onto him. Following James Harden’s flip to Brooklyn, Beal is now the presumed next in line, the one the other 29 organizations are waiting on to get dealt. Of course, he’s been batting away trade rumors since before signing his extension in the fall of 2019.

“I kinda hate it. I hate super teams,” he told The Athletic in February 2019. “And that’s just me. … Like everybody, just get your own team and just try to win with what you’ve got.”

All things being equal, he’d rather win with the Wizards than do so elsewhere. But he also said at the start of this year, shortly after Washington finalized a trade of Wall for Russell Westbrook, that his “biggest thing is win now.” The Wizards have taken his priorities to heart. But the victories haven’t come. They have sunk to the bottom of the Eastern Conference amid a slow, COVID-19-ravaged start to the season. They recently had six consecutive games postponed as more than half the team entered the league’s health-and-safety protocols.

The two-time All-Star is admittedly frustrated with the losing. Cameras have caught him slouching in his seat during timeouts or after losses; they’ve captured viral moments of disengagement on the court.

“I gotta be better with that. The media is gonna blow it up, rightfully so,” Beal said following a loss to the Hawks on Friday. “I’m mad about losing. If I was sitting over there laughing and smiling, what is the media gonna say then? ‘Oh, he doesn’t take it serious.’ I just hate losing. I hate losing. And I’m gonna continue to show pissed-off faces. I’ll try to control them as much as I can, but I don’t like losing.”

That same night, when asked if he was frustrated, he responded, “Is the sky blue?”

Of course, this past weekend was not the first time Beal’s body language or quotes have fueled outside speculation about his commitment to the organization. He had a competitive on-court relationship with Wall, which led many to believe the two had an expiration date. Following a famously volatile practice (which led to the team fining Wall) in 2018, he famously yelled to former team president Ernie Grunfeld, “I’ve been dealing with this **** for seven years. It starts top-down.” Grunfeld was out at the end of that season. Beal criticized the organization’s culture a year ago after a loss to the Bulls. He was particularly dejected after that defeat. He later told The Athletic that he should have been “not be as — I won’t say public — but open about it or visible with it. Just kind of (keep it) in the locker room.” He has been outspoken about not making last season’s All-Star star team, as well, citing the Wizards’ record as the reason for being left off.

“It’s tough. I’m not gonna sit here and be naive. It’s tough,” he said when asked Friday how playing for a losing team for two-plus years has affected him. “We wanna win. I wanna win. This is why I stayed. I wanna win (here). I figure this is the place I can get it done. So, it’s tough.”

Opposing teams are monitoring the situation. In spite of what is reality today, franchises know that stars rarely ever stay in losing situations when they have options elsewhere. Washington lost 50 games a couple of years ago, then played to a 54-loss pace during the shortened 2019-20 season. It’s lacking immediate financial flexibility with Beal due $34 million next season, Westbrook under contract for $91 million total over the next two years and Davis Bertans in year 1 of a five-year, $80 million contract. But neither Beal nor the Wizards is at the point of a breakup as of now.

Opposing organizations don’t get the impression that this is some kind of leverage play from the Wizards. They don’t believe Washington is insisting that Beal is unavailable as some kind of ploy to raise an asking price. General manager Tommy Sheppard is operating inside a market that just saw the Rockets acquire four first-round draft picks and four first-round draft swaps in exchange for Harden. Only a few months ago, the Pelicans received three first-rounders and two swaps for Jrue Holiday. Beal could reasonably command more than New Orleans got, especially if a trade came now — though there would be complications in trying to pull off a deal before the trade deadline.

If the Wizards did choose to deal Beal, waiting until the offseason would mean trading him when more than half the league will have cap space and thus wouldn’t have to match Beal’s expensive salary in a hypothetical transaction. The upcoming free-agency class won’t be as shiny as people once thought, either, after Giannis Antetokounmpo, Rudy Gobert and Paul George all signed contract extensions. If Beal were to change teams this summer, he might be the best player in the league to do so.

Beal will be eligible for the 35 percent maximum contract with every NBA team as soon as 2022 (the 2022-23 season) because he will have ten seasons in the NBA. His five-year max deal is projected to be worth $235 million with the team that has his Bird rights.

Exchanging three or four players for one — a construction resembling the Lakers’ package for Anthony Davis, which included Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, Lonzo Ball and picks — is more elaborate in-season, as well, considering the Wizards would have to waive multiple guys and their trade partner would have to sign extra ones to fill out the rest of its roster.

But this is multiple hypotheticals down the line. And for now, there is no indication a Beal trade is coming.

“We haven’t won. When you don’t win, teams think that you’re just gonna throw the towel in and give up, and you’re just gonna wanna get rid of your good players,” Wizards coach Scott Brooks said. “So that’s all part of the business. … We’re not interested. We’re not interested. I’m gonna just tell (GM) Tommy (Sheppard), you might as well just block all the 29 other teams’ numbers. We’re not answering.”

NBA looking real desperate for money. Are the ads all over the arena/jerseys and cars courtside not generating enough $$$?

No shots at you but I think it’s been blatantly clear since The Bubble that the NBA and it’s franchises/owners (and in part players) are acting purely for the money

BIG FISH BIG FISH

:rofl: Man Perk said "MF" like 30 times during that interview.

:rofl: @ Him saying he looked at the table and called Kerr a "H A N."

:lol: @ "LeBron was eating fruit since he was 14."

Man this was a good convo.

:lol: @ Him suggesting Whitlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom