🍎 OFFICIAL NEW YORK METS THREAD 🍎: OMG Grimace CLINCHED

Well guys Everyone let's go get disappointed by the Knicks now for this season.

cry-craig-robinson.gif

That hurts when I had to rename this thread title to Eliminated too soon

:smh:

Huge disappointment

We definitely improved huge from last season but this result isn’t what we wanted

We are gonna see a lot of changes in the offseason due to many free agents we have

As much as I wanted to be optimistic after the Braves sweep, the writing was on the wall.

Momentum going into the playoffs was terrible. Team stopped hitting. Was losing to garbage teams. And we kept saying losing Marte was the reason for the teams downfall. Nah, we had bigger problems and were relying on a hot bat way too often.

The 2015 team felt way more magical, this years team was missing something. Wasted season indeed.

I'm about to be sick seeing Philly in the ALDS. They sucked and we pounded them this season but I guess it's all about who gets hot in September and takes that momentum into the post season.

Eppler did the right thing by sticking with top tier prospects on the trade deadline

I wouldn't trade those prospects for rentals

Teams asked too much when Mets tried to upgrade our DH and relievers

As much as I wanted to be optimistic after the Braves sweep, the writing was on the wall.

Momentum going into the playoffs was terrible. Team stopped hitting. Was losing to garbage teams. And we kept saying losing Marte was the reason for the teams downfall. Nah, we had bigger problems and were relying on a hot bat way too often.

The 2015 team felt way more magical, this years team was missing something. Wasted season indeed.

This is a take I fully agree with bc I too, tried to spin it positive after the Braves sweep. But really and truly, the season ended right there. The Braves are the champs for a reason. You have to knock them OUT. Buck did the right thing trying to line up the rotation for that series. But Max and Jake were subpar and the offense went ghost.

Final thoughts on the season for anyone who cares:

- All season long the Mets were patient at the plate and were lauded for making the opposing pitcher run up his pitch count in the first 2 innings. That philosophy completely disappeared by the end of the season. Patience and discipline at the plate seemed to vanish.

- Mets never really retaliated for all those HBPs. I understand that a lot of the HBPs this year were not intentional. But just on GP, you have to either rush the mound or throw back at their batters. I realize that brawls and throwing at the opposition can lead to payback/injury for your own guys. But I felt it was important to let other teams know that they better think twice before pitching inside to the Mets.

- On a similar topic, Padres stepped out against the Mets all series. Max was frustrated when they did it game 1. Jake handled it well in game 2. And Bassitt got thrown off by it in game 3. Yet the Mets never returned the favor even after the announcers said they expected to see the Mets do it back to SD. Between this and the not retaliating for the HBPs, the Mets were too "nice" for lack of a better word.

- The 3 relationships I saw blossom this year into love affairs were Max & Jake (ALWAYS together in the dugout), Lindor and Buck (always near each other at the top step as well as always sharing extra words/hug/dap at the end of games), and Keith and Pete. Keith raves about Pete any chance he gets. :lol:

- At the end of the day, Mets were an easy team to beat.
Pitch around Pete (who had zero power protection all year)
Jump on Met pitchers early to try and score first (a ton of first pitch swings from the Padres this series)
Play crisp baseball to maintain your lead which lowers your chance of having to ever face Diaz
Bully the Mets with inside pitches and hitting their batters

Thanks for your patience with this long *** post and enjoy the winter guys. |l

I like to value hitting and being patient over power bats who strike out a lot but mets do need more power in that lineup. On a sidenote, I think it was the padres centerfielder who had a batting average of .184. Geez, don't think I've ever seen an everyday player with an average that low.

What's on everyone's wish list as far as trade, keep, resign, let go ?

I want Degrom but there's a price. I'm not paying whatever. Truth is a team needs depth. What if Degrom misses half a season again?

Look at the braves keeping all their talent long term. Mets should do that with several of their own (Alonso, McNeil, Nimmo).

I definitely want to bring deGrom and Diaz back

Cohen states he's all set to bring deGrom back at any price but the decision is up to deGrom

I think our depth is good. The problem is that we need one or two top tier slugger in the lineup. I remember seeing our home run total at Citi in September. It was really low. We had 70 home runs total at Citi at the end of September. Unless Vientos, Baty and Alvarez become important players for team next season

Next season, shift will be banned. I expect our contact hitters to become more effective. Defense could be an issue since we relied on shifts heavy

Speaking of the Braves thing, their revenue is likely better than ours now. The World Series boosted Braves' revenue hugely (over $180 mill). And the Braves built their farm system up during their short term rebuilding years. Thanks to it that they are able to lock their young players on long term

We don't have any top tier ready pitching prospect available for next two season. I expect to see our top tier pitching prospects in 2025. I can see why Cohen mentioned we will focus on free agency players for two or three years then focus on homegrown players in the future

Our farm doesn't look great behind the 2022 picks and nearly MLB ready players in Baty, Vientos and Alvarez. I am confident that our farm will become one of the best as soon as possible

Mets' revenue improved huge after Cohen bought team without new cable deal. Impressive. Our team have a contract with SNY until 2030

Even if we might lose key players to the FA. And I think we are in the right direction. This is just beginning

I agree on everything state above. Our farm is up and coming and I'm glad we didn't trade away our studs.

Aside from scherzer, Peterson and megill, all other starting pitchers are free agents. That's crazy.

Our offense was better than avg. But we need more power.

Vogelbach is ok but he can't run which means he's very limited offensively and defensively. He's got a good eye. I'm ok bringing fun 6 back for cheap and depth.

Ruff showed us nothing, don't want him coming back and Naquin slumped at a bad time. Good defense tho, he can come back as well.

I want a non-debatable slugger for our DH.

Agreed about the DH role

I remember Eppler's interview. after the day he got hired by this team. He mentioned that he isn't a fan of acquiring mediocre or low tier role players via trade. Those roles assign to homegrown players. Dom and JD were supposed to be our primary DHs for the entire season and playoffs. Their struggles caused Eppler to make moves. Tough decision. If Luis Rojas was still our manager, I believe he'd likely told Eppler not to make those trades since Rojas knew them well. Buck is our first year manager. That's why I am not mad about the Ruf and Vogelbach deals tho. And it helped us to get rid of low prospects' salaries

I like to value hitting and being patient over power bats who strike out a lot but mets do need more power in that lineup.

Shohei might be a stretch to get. But a guy who can at least hit 20 - 23 homers behind Pete would be nice. I mean, damn, come on.

What's on everyone's wish list as far as trade, keep, resign, let go ?

I want Degrom but there's a price. I'm not paying whatever. Truth is a team needs depth. What if Degrom misses half a season again?

Look at the braves keeping all their talent long term. Mets should do that with several of their own (Alonso, McNeil, Nimmo).

There's no question those 3 guys should be locked up long term by now. Especially Pete. What exactly are they waiting to see with him? McNeil and Nimmo too. Lock them up and get it over with.

Braves set the blueprint. Not sure what the Mets are waiting on.

braves long term contracts.jpg

:sick: :sick: :sick:

As far as who to re-sign or not...

mets free agents 2022.jpg

MUST retain - Diaz deGrom

Need to retain - [Carrasco and/or Walker] Bassitt Nimmo

Keep only 1 of these 2 - Ottavino May

Let go - Lugo

Jake is up there in age now and had a bit of a rough patch towards the end of the season but he's home grown and has been a model citizen since he's been with the club. Plus, he's still effective. You have to reward that. As someone said (I forgot who), you sign him to a new deal and if he is no longer effective as a starter, you can maybe try him as a closer towards the end of the deal.

And for goodness sake, bring in a guy who takes no ****. Not a troublemaker. But someone who doesn't back down. Mets need that type of energy like Baez had. That Cespedes energy. That Dykstra/Hernandez energy. That Bobby Bo show you the Bx energy. That Mad Max energy poured into a hitter. A little bit of crazy where you know you better not pitch too far inside and hit them or you will have to suffer the consequences. :lol:

Mets aren't far. Just need a bopper and a couple of wild boys to push the team.

Agreed about the DH role

I remember Eppler's interview. after the day he got hired by this team. He mentioned that he isn't a fan of acquiring mediocre or low tier role players via trade. Those roles assign to homegrown players. Dom and JD were supposed to be our primary DHs for the entire season and playoffs. Their struggles caused Eppler to make moves. Tough decision. If Luis Rojas was still our manager, I believe he'd likely told Eppler not to make those trades since Rojas knew them well. Buck is our first year manager. That's why I am not mad about the Ruf and Vogelbach deals tho. And it helped us to get rid of low prospects' salaries

I like this take.

I believe the Mets pulled the trigger too soon on Dom (who tore it up when he got sent down) and JD (who flourished once he got traded away). I still think Dom should be on the squad but that's just me.

Vogelbach is a good locker room guy but not good enough to justify keeping for his otherwise 1 dimensional role.

Ruf just never seemed comfortable in NY.

This has always been my thing about NY sports teams.... if you find a guy who can thrive in his first year in the city, YOU KEEP HIM.

I feel too many GMs of the city's teams undervalue how tough it is to perform well under NYC pressure.

One last thing, the fact that the Phillies have advanced further than the Mets AND the Braves is :sick:

That tweet about the Phillies making it further with Wheeler and Thor than the Mets did with deGrom and Scherzer was hurtful. :lol:

Sighs, the Padres better advance to the WS

Darvish = 7 innings, 7 hits 1 ER against us in the first WC game. And won.

Darvish = 7 innings 3 hits 2 ER against the Phillies last night. And lost.

Baseball can be so cruel

Wheeler was hurt for most of his time here. He doesn’t get any props from me. Now, Thor riding the Phillies success is nauseating. And another potential Yanks/Phillies WS would be a nightmare. Let’s go Astros (yikes).

FgF4oYdXkAAqrJ8

Stearns is still under the contract until next year even he steps down from his position POBO

Playoffs have been weird this year. Besides houston, the top teams were sent home early.

Back
Top Bottom