🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

This. "Flashly lifestyle"
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

A question for those who take issue with Kendrick's verse...do you guys also take issue with Drake when he says he's the only reason some of these guys are blowing up right now or they should've come to him if they wanna blow? Because it's pretty much the same thing Kendrick was doing, sh*t talking.

It's not. That man Drake posted Section 80 on his blog before the world knew who he was. That man took him on a national tour before the world knew who he was.

For me, since i'm LA, i've been known of Kendrick. But he was a relative unknown nationally (minus the interwebz) before the tour, then Buried Alive.

This much is undeniable. So to a degree, Drake is responsible for Kendrick's blow up. Maybe just marginally, maybe Kendrick would have blew up without Drake, but the aforementioned are facts.

It's not. That man Drake posted Section 80 on his blog before the world knew who he was. That man took him on a national tour before the world knew who he was.

For me, since i'm LA, i've been known of Kendrick. But he was a relative unknown nationally (minus the interwebz) before the tour, then Buried Alive.

This much is undeniable. So to a degree, Drake is responsible for Kendrick's blow up. Maybe just marginally, maybe Kendrick would have blew up without Drake, but the aforementioned are facts.
Drake did the same for ASAP Rocky as well.

The narratives that people paint about drake helping guys like the weeknd and Kendrick etc reach some pretty funny levels around here.. As if their talent wouldn't have gotten them to where theyre at now if drake never tweeted about them or never mentioned them on a blog... Lol

Last edited:
I wouldn't credit drake to much of kdot success...now weeknd is a diff story. ALOT of people woulda never heard of Abel if not for drizzy

The narratives that people paint about drake helping guys like the weeknd and Kendrick etc reach some pretty funny levels around here.. As if their talent wouldn't have gotten them to where theyre at now if drake never tweeted about them or never mentioned them on a blog... Lol

Your making an assumption. You don't know that. I could just as easily say XO wouldn't have popped on a national level without Drake because his style doesn't mirror what the people like at this moment. I could just as easily be as right as you are.

Weeknd and Kendrick did not have a national audience at all before Drake. That's a fact. He catapulted their careers.

I wouldn't credit drake to much of kdot success...now weeknd is a diff story. ALOT of people woulda never heard of Abel if not for drizzy

I would agree. Hell, i'm from LA so I had been deep into Kendrick Lamar since The Kendrick Lamar EP, OD, etc.

That being said though, Drake did bring Dot on tour and he did put him on a grammy award winning album. And he did push Section 80 before it even dropped. There's something to be said about that. Drake played a part in pushing Kendrick to the national forefront. A lot of people still did not know who he was.

Please don't underestimate the power of a co-sign, especially in today's media and social network hype machine...

Weeknd would be another alternative RnB cat on the internet if Drake hadn't put a spotlight on him...

Same way Drake would be just another rap act if Wayne ain't pick him up for Young Money.

Yall think Drake would have the same "aura" around him if he wasn't the new kid chillin with Wayne and Birdman, all up in the videos, backstage on tour, featured on their songs, being introduced and taking pictures with all these industry cats? Hell nah man...So Far Gone was amazing!, but Lil Wayne was at his prime (that boy hopped on every beat, and was on every radio station), gave Drizzy 2 or 3 verses on the cut, and suddenly people were like, "whos this new kid rappin with Wayne? he's aii". A couple features and video shoots later, and A star was born.

It's differerent when you hear something for the first time, compared to when you hear something for the first time with someone like Lil Wayne or Jay-z, who have established themselves in the field, giving their nod of approval.. You don't listen with the same ears, (i.e., trying to pick out flaws), you listen and try to hear the good things that the co-signers have heard... it's all subconscious, it's hard to describe on a personal level, but in terms of mass market, it's all HYPE.

Not to say these guys wouldn't have blown up with JUST their talents and no backing, but guess what? that didn't happen. To say Drake wasn't a catalyst in their careers would be denying the truth.

I think some of yall underestimate how flip-floppy, what's-hot-right-now, flavor-of-the-month, the average music fan is... not everyone is scouring hiphop blogs looking for heatrocks....

If someone popular like Drake says it's good music, then it must be good music. That's how the average music consumer thinks. DO NOT fool yourselves and act like everyone thinks and formulates opinions on their own. Theres ALOT of sheep out there who don't like something until someone else says they do.

Please don't underestimate the power of a co-sign, especially in today's media and social network hype machine...

Weeknd would be another alternative RnB cat on the internet if Drake hadn't put a spotlight on him...

Same way Drake would be just another rap act if Wayne ain't pick him up for Young Money.

Yall think Drake would have the same "aura" around him if he wasn't the new kid chillin with Wayne and Birdman, all up in the videos, backstage on tour, featured on their songs, being introduced and taking pictures with all these industry cats? Hell nah man...So Far Gone was amazing!, but Lil Wayne was at his prime (that boy hopped on every beat, and was on every radio station), gave Drizzy 2 or 3 verses on the cut, and suddenly people were like, "whos this new kid rappin with Wayne? he's aii". A couple features and video shoots later, and A star was born.

It's differerent when you hear something for the first time, compared to when you hear something for the first time with someone like Lil Wayne or Jay-z, who have established themselves in the field, giving their nod of approval.. You don't listen with the same ears, (i.e., trying to pick out flaws), you listen and try to hear the good things that the co-signers have heard... it's all subconscious, it's hard to describe on a personal level, but in terms of mass market, it's all HYPE.

Not to say these guys wouldn't have blown up with JUST their talents and no backing, but guess what? that didn't happen. To say Drake wasn't a catalyst in their careers would be denying the truth.

I think some of yall underestimate how flip-floppy, what's-hot-right-now, flavor-of-the-month, the average music fan is... not everyone is scouring hiphop blogs looking for heatrocks....

If someone popular like Drake says it's good music, then it must be good music. That's how the average music consumer thinks. DO NOT fool yourselves and act like everyone thinks and formulates opinions on their own. Theres ALOT of sheep out there who don't like something until someone else says they do.

Repped. All truth. I feel a long debate coming though

Your making an assumption. You don't know that. I could just as easily say XO wouldn't have popped on a national level without Drake because his style doesn't mirror what the people like at this moment. I could just as easily be as right as you are.

Weeknd and Kendrick did not have a national audience at all before Drake. That's a fact. He catapulted their careers.
I'd call the first quote an assumption. Drakes cosign would help anyone but I don't think it's an assumption to say the weeknd and Kendrick would have blown up regardless of drakes support

I'm just not understanding HOW people would've discovered Abel of all people without Drake. I'm a huge Weeknd fan, but if I hadn't randomly snooped around the OVO blog at the very beginning of 2011, I would have never downloaded this three song (What You Need, The Morning, Loft Music) zip file that introduced me to Abel. If I hadn't done some digging around later to see if anyone else was feeling the songs like I was, I would've never found a forum (think it was KTT or the site before that, KanyeLive) that eventually led to me a tweet of a piece of paper telling me to go The-Weeknd.com for the rest of the project at 10 (pretty sure he was late too).

Without the Drake co-sign, how would Pitchfork and other hipster muaic blogs know to check out Abel's music out of the millions of random music artists on the internet?

It just all would have magically happened eventually? Because there aren't talented artists all over the internet drowning in a pool of irrelevancy?

Anybody who wants Birdman off the album needs to be shot in the face.

Also on Connect, it's perceived power not ***** power :lol: cringe at yourself

Drake and you fools that defending his KDot "Control" verse response are a combination of one or more of the following things:

You:
-Obviously never played sports.
-Lack aggression.
-Lack ambition to fight be the best
-Overvalue yourself and the relationships you have with your peers; especially those with that same career as you.. Anyone can be checked.
-Are really new to Hip-Hop and fail to realize it's based on competition.
-Are extremely sensitive.
-Lack the comprehension skills to understand KDot's verse (which was a simple nudge to tell the new gen rappers to step their game up because he's coming for the No. 1 spot).
-Take meanings literally.
-Are overanalyzing what Kendrick said.

I am disappoint.

drake is not responsible for Kendrick's or asaps blow up

it's really a back handed strategic move

Drake knew they both were on fire and on pace to be the hottest in the game

he put em on the tour to be able to say he helped their career if they ever get outta pocket

it's a chess move

That's why he's bitter bout Kendrick now because the so called disrespect happened anyway plus the reasons I stated a few pages back

Anybody who wants Birdman off the album needs to be shot in the face.

Also on Connect, it's perceived power not ***** power :lol: cringe at yourself

Please prove to me that he says perceived power because I've listened to it slowed down at it still sounds like ***** power

Back
Top Bottom