🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

Drake has BEEEEEEN making songs that sound literally the same for a while now. Thing is they were still flames.

I like How About Now
ohwell.gif

for some reason I've been listening to schemin' quite a bit.

"I used to drive an acura to schoooooooooool." lol

Hook is fire, that's about it. 

Yep. Scheming' Up is Hella forgettable.

As with most artist, they stick to their formula. But Drake man, since NWTS it seems like every drop he's released as been empty as **** and tailor made for the turn up and as a result, sound the EXACT same.

Believe me with wayne, which sounds like 0 to 100, which sounds like 2 on / thotful, which sounds like 6 god, which sounds like scheming up, which sounds like tuesday, which sounds like who do you love with YG, which sounds like his verse on only with minaj, which sounds like his verse on truffled butter, which sounds exactly like...

And i'm a drake fan to the fullest. He's been my favorite since 07'. But my goodness, how many of those kind of records is he going to pump out? I get their purpose, but I'm just tired of them. He isn't that unique to me when he stays in that lane. He sounds like all of the other good rappers out.

As with most artist, they stick to their formula. But Drake man, since NWTS it seems like every drop he's released as been empty as **** and tailor made for the turn up and as a result, sound the EXACT same.

Believe me with wayne, which sounds like 0 to 100, which sounds like 2 on / thotful, which sounds like 6 god, which sounds like scheming up, which sounds like tuesday, which sounds like who do you love with YG, which sounds like his verse on only with minaj, which sounds like his verse on truffled butter, which sounds exactly like...

And i'm a drake fan to the fullest. He's been my favorite since 07'. But my goodness, how many of those kind of records is he going to pump out? I get their purpose, but I'm just tired of them. He isn't that unique to me when he stays in that lane. He sounds like all of the other good rappers out.
In terms of drops since NWTS, Draft day, the catch up, how bout now, and heat of the moment were impressive to me and sounded different. But I see what you are saying, I think I'm ready to hear an actual album as a change from these random cuts and features.

Would tend to agree, it's a formula that seems to be working so there juicing it for all its worth. It truly does sound all the same
and designed for a hype session. I'd like to see him mess with different producers, out of his element. Switch up the flow and
the style at least.

I think I'm ready to hear an actual album as a change from these random cuts and features.

I guess that's the issue for some who really want this new album. Drake has dropped nothing but gems since Trophies. I mean QUALITY music for free. I agree we need a new album but he won 2014 without even trying. J Cole dropped an album and is still far behind in terms of buzz this year. Just pure genius. The records Drake been releasing since NWTS have been some of his best IMO.

Why Drake Managed to Rule Hip-Hop in 2014 -- Without a New Album or Hit Single

By Ernest Baker | December 12, 2014 10:05 AM EST

The best rapper in 2014 didn't need a new album or hit single to prove his dominance. Drake's last LP, Nothing Was the Same, arrived in September 2013, but thanks to a stream of songs surprise-released online, carefully curated remixes, touring and big-time TV spots, there was no question he was hip-hop’s center of gravity this year.

Yes, Iggy Azalea's The New Classic was the top-selling rap LP released in 2014, and Nicki Minaj may outdo her when she unveils The Pinkprint on Dec. 15. But both were criticized by rap fans for blatantly aiming for pop audiences ("Pills N Potions," anyone?). Drake, on the other hand, batted near 1.000 with a remarkable string of six songs he surprise-released to SoundCloud during the year, accruing 83 million total clicks on the platform. "0 to 100/The Catch-Up," one of 2014's most memorable songs, hit No. 35 on the Billboard Hot 100 and is nominated for two Grammys -- a feat for a track with no real label push behind it.

Nicki Minaj Goes Dominatrix With Lil Wayne, Drake in 'Only' Video

Drake also has become rap’s hottest co-sign, with his guest spots helping lead nine songs to the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart in 2014. His verses on remixes of Tinashe's "2 On" and his OVO Sound signee I Love Makonnen's Grammy-nominated "Tuesday" boosted both onto the Hot 100. Drake's mere quoting of Dej Loaf's "Try Me" on Instagram led the Detroit MC to a viral hit and Columbia contract. And it's worth noting that Makonnen, Dej, Young Thug and most other notable 2014 rap rookies were blatantly inspired by Drake's Auto-Tune melodies and soft, spacey beats.

Meanwhile, according to Billboard Boxscore, Drake was rap’s second-biggest touring star in 2014 (behind only Jay Z) with the Drake vs. Lil Wayne trek and his solo Would You Like a Tour? outing. He also sold out his annual two-day OVO Fest in Toronto, and landed two well-received TV gigs, hosting Saturday Night Live and the ESPYs.

Drake’s next album, Views From the 6, is due in the spring, when he'll likely have competition from new projects from Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West, who were quiet in 2014. But ask West, who admitted that Drake was the hottest rapper out to GQ in July: He and Lamar will be the ones with something to prove, not Drake.

This article first appeared in the Dec. 20 issue of Billboard.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6405647/drake-hip-hop-in-2014

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom