09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

^hilarious
roll.gif
roll.gif

and if you didnt Know Izzy has been cleared to fight , hes coming back at 126

Realistically what's out there for Berto if he beats Urango?

Rematch w/ Collazo
Josh Clottey
Zab

If i'm not mistaken, Berto is DiBella's cash cow (What other top contenders is he promoting these days? Jermain Taylor is on the downslide, and PaulieMalignaggi won't win an important fight without pop) there's no way in hell he's putting Berto in with Clottey. I thought Zab was suppose to bemaking the move back down to Jr Welterweight. He really needs to give Collazo that rematch before all else, but it's a big risk if things play out the waythe first fight did. How come Berto/Collazo couldn't get done for this fight, instead of Urango? Anybody know?

Welterweight is deep, but after Collazo...it's nothing but top guys (IE: Mosley, Cotto, Floyd, Clottey) After Urango, Berto should take the rematch withCollazo, IF he does get past that...the most intriguing is a fight with Mosley, IMO.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]With Mexico behind him, all-action Angulo angles toward title shot[/h1]

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: May 29, 2009, 11:56 AM ET

box_f_cozzone12_576.jpg

Chris Cozzone/Fightwireimages.com

What endears Alfredo Angulo, left, to his fans? The fact that he's willing to take two punches to land one.
[h3]Angulo the next Mexican star?[/h3]
Antonio Margarito is disgraced, having been banished for trying to cheat against Shane Mosley. Marco Antonio Barrera and Erik Morales are semi-retired, long past their best days. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., though popular, isn't regarded as a serious contender.

Rivals Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez are closer to the end than the beginning. The same goes for Juan Manuel Marquez, who, although one of the best fighters in the world, is 35.

Who, then, can carry the mantle as the next star fighter from boxing-mad Mexico?

Ask junior middleweight Alfredo Angulo and his handlers, and they'll tell you it's Angulo.

"He's got a chance to carry that banner," promoter Gary Shaw said. "There was Chavez [Sr.], Barrera, Morales. They carried that banner. Now, Angulo has a chance to follow in their footsteps."

Said manager Mike Criscio, "The Mexicans needs someone to fall in love with after Margarito got caught [trying to load his gloves against Mosley]. Alfredo can step into those shoes and be their hero."

With the quintessential Mexican fighting style -- aggression and a willingness to take two punches to land one -- Angulo wears his national pride on his sleeve. When describing his style, he says he is "a warrior who gives everything, like the majority of Mexican fighters. That's how we are."

Although Angulo lives in Southern California, he grew up in Mexico and represented his country as a middleweight in the 2004 Olympics, losing by decision to Ireland's Andy Lee in the opening round. As a professional, Angulo, nicknamed "Perro" or "Dog" for his relentless style, has been moved exceedingly fast by Shaw and Criscio. With a victory in his 16th pro fight -- against former welterweight titleholder Kermit Cintron (30-2-1, 27 KOs) on Saturday (HBO, 9:45 p.m. ET/PT) at the Seminole Hard Rock resort in Hollywood, Fla. -- Angulo will become titleholder Sergio Martinez's mandatory challenger.

"We moved him very fast. I put my guys in with the best I can find," Criscio said. "I don't believe in bringing a kid up fighting tomato cans. It builds false confidence. The way to build confidence is put him in with a good fighter. I don't want to baby my guys. This way, they can move faster."

Criscio did it with light heavyweight Chad Dawson and is doing it again with Angulo (15-0, 12 KOs), who will be making his fourth consecutive appearance in a year on HBO's "Boxing After Dark." HBO also has included the 26-year-old in an advertising campaign this year that features boxing's next generation of stars.

In the main event, Andre Berto (24-0, 19 KOs), from nearby Winter Haven, Fla., makes the third defense of his welterweight belt, against Colombia's Juan Urango (21-1-1, 16 KOs), a junior welterweight titlist moving up one division for the opportunity.

box_angulo2_sw_300.jpg

Naoki Fukuda

Alfredo Angulo, right, has looked impressive even as the level of competition has improved.

The kind of exposure Angulo has gotten on HBO, combined with his crowd-pleasing style and friendly demeanor outside the ring, has made him a growing fan favorite.

One thing that makes Angulo such an endearing sort is the love he has for those fans.

"The most important thing in boxing is to give a good fight to the people, the people who come to see the fight in the arena or the people that are watching at home on TV," said Angulo, who is trained by Clemente Medina. "It's not just about getting a check for my fights. It's more important that the people come up to me and say they like the way I fight. That pays me more than the check I receive at the end of the fight."

His blossoming career, of course, has been helped by the fact that he has performed well even as his competition has improved, especially in his past three fights: knockouts of Cosme Rivera, Andrey Tsurkan and Richard Gutierrez. Cintron, a strong puncher in his own right, is yet another step up.

Not bad for a guy who didn't enter a gym until he was 17. Angulo, the father of 3-year-old daughter Rebecca, tried boxing because he was a fan of the sport. He wanted to follow in the footsteps of his heroes, Chavez Sr., considered the greatest Mexican fighter of all time, and Hall of Famer Ricardo Lopez.

"I went to the gym because I was a fan. I just loved it," said Angulo, who takes English lessons but, for now, still conducts interviews through an interpreter. "I saw the gym was the right place for me. Once I got in that ring, I decided that is where I wanted to follow my dreams."

As a regular at fight cards, Angulo often is mobbed by fans looking for an autograph or photo.

"My fans dedicate time to me, so I want to dedicate my time to them," Angulo said. "That's what keeps me motivated. I guess they like me because I'm a humble dude and do anything for them. I was in a position of being a nobody, and I appreciate that they think that I'm now a somebody. They like how I fight, always going forward like a real boxer should. No jumping, no running. It's not track. I tell my opponent, 'Step up and let's work.' That's what my fans like, to see me do my job the way it is supposed to be done."

Shaw has seen the frenzy Angulo can whip up when they are at fights.

"It's amazing how popular he has become, especially with the Mexican and Mexican-American fans," Shaw said. "When we were leaving the Mosley-Margarito fight at the Staples Center to go to the HBO postfight party, it took us literally one hour to go from our seats upstairs to the party because of how many people wanted his picture and autograph. You know what? He took every picture and signed every autograph. He gets angry if you try to rush him. That's how much he loves his fans."

Criscio also has seen Angulo's popularity blossom in the past year.

"They know who he is, and he is not afraid to put his face out in the crowd. He loves the limelight, that kid," Criscio said. "He loves to tell people who he is. To be a star, you have to get your name and face out there. He goes to every fight, and no matter where we go, they swarm to him. Mexicans love their fighters, and I think they saw him fight a few times because he's been on TV a lot between Showtime and HBO. Nobody with 15 fights has been on HBO or Showtime like six or seven times, but Alfredo has. The fans come up to him and cheer, 'Perro! Perro! Perro!' They know who he is. It's also [publicist] Fred Sternburg getting his name out there and me and Gary pushing for TV."

Angulo knows that a victory will land him a title shot.

"I'm very excited about being in that position," he said. "I will push forward as long as I have my people behind me. At this point, I don't fear anything, no hard punches. I am looking at this like Mexico vs. Puerto Rico [where Cintron is from]. I fear none of his hard punches."

And if the day comes when Angulo has won a title, has had memorable fights and is retired?

"What I hope for is that the day that I retire, people will remember Alfredo Angulo's name as a fighter that's very Mexican who gave everything in the ring and poured his heart out to give a great show to the people of Mexico."
[h3]Cunningham set for eliminator[/h3]
Former cruiserweight titlist Steve Cunningham, hoping for a rematch against champion Tomasz Adamek, faces ex-titleholder Wayne Braithwaite with a mandatory shot at Adamek at stake.

Cunningham, who lost a split decision in a slugfest with Adamek in December, meets Braithwaite on July 11 off TV on the Joseph Agbeko-Vic Darchinyan undercard.

Although Cunningham (21-2, 11 KOs) figures to be a significant favorite against faded Braithwaite (23-3, 19 KOs), he's buoyed by the fact that he'll have a new trainer in his corner in Naazim Richardson, who has earned rave reviews in recent years for his work with Bernard Hopkins and Shane Mosley. Richardson, who replaces Anthony Chase, is the one who discovered that Antonio Margarito's hand wraps had been tampered with in the dressing room before Margarito fought Mosley in January.

box_a_cunningham1_sw_300.jpg

All Bello/Getty Images

Steve Cunningham is ready to dust himself off and make another run at a title.

"I've been training with Brother Naazim since March," Cunningham told ESPN.com. "I've been working hard, and he's been pushing me to a new level."

Cunningham, who has known Richardson for years because they're both from Philadelphia and have worked in the same gyms, said that he tried to hire Richardson in 2001 but that "He had too many fighters and said he couldn't give me the attention I needed." They planned to work together in 2007 when Cunningham was going to Poland for a rematch with Krzysztof Wlodarczyk, but Richardson suffered a stroke that he has since recovered from. Now, they've finally made it official.

"Naazim reminds me of my father so much," Cunningham said. "I respect him for his knowledge and for the way he trains his fighters."

Cunningham hoped for an immediate rematch with Adamek, but the champ went in another direction. However, beating Braithwaite will guarantee Cunningham another shot.

"I still feel like I'm the cruiserweight champion," Cunningham said. "I still feel like I should have gotten nothing less than a draw, so I don't feel like I lost. I want the rematch more than I want this eliminator, but I need to fight this fight to get it."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/de...ation_cdw_header_bg.jpg) repeat-x left top; WIDTH: 100%" sizset="117" sizcache="3">

13 comments on "With Mexico behind him, all-action Angulo angles toward title shot"

[h4]QUICK HITS[/h4]
box_g_gamboa_65.jpg

Gamboa

• Top Rank is finalizing a deal to become the co-promoter of interim featherweight titlist Yuriorkis Gamboa and heavyweight prospect Odlanier Solis with Ahmet Öner's Arena Box, Bob Arum told ESPN.com. Gamboa and Solis won 2004 Olympic gold for Cuba before defecting. "I know Gamboa is very exciting," Arum said, adding that Top Rank president Todd duBoef was handling the deal with Öner. If finalized, Gamboa would defend on Top Rank's July 25 Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-headlined pay-per-view card in Mexico. Originally ticketed for Cancun, it's been moved to another resort city, Nuevo Vallarta, Arum said. An August Showtime fight between Gamboa and unified junior featherweight titlist Celestino Caballero had been discussed, but the promoters and network were about $200,000 apart. Solis' first bout under the new arrangement would be June 27 in Atlantic City, N.J., on the untelevised undercard of another Top Rank PPV show.

box_segura_65.jpg

Segura

• Besides Chavez and probably Gamboa, other matches in the works for Top Rank's July 25 card include Giovani Segura defending his interim junior flyweight title against Sonny Boy Jaro of the Philippines and welterweight Jesus Soto Karass against Antonio Diaz in what figures to be a slugfest.

box_fw_bradley_65.jpg

Bradley

• Junior welterweight titlist Tim Bradley thought he'd be defending against Joan Guzman on Showtime on Aug. 1 after the sides had reached an agreement. However, it was contingent on the WBO sanctioning the fight, which it refused to do, Bradley promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com. With that fight off, Bradley likely will defend against former lightweight titleholder Nate Campbell, Shaw said. Campbell, who is in bankruptcy, has been tied up in court with promoter Don King over the promotional contract Campbell rejected when he filed for bankruptcy. However, Campbell adviser Terry Trekas told ESPN.com that because the case won't finish until June 27, the team is talking to King about a one-fight deal to make the Bradley bout.

box_a_casamayor_65.jpg

Casamayor

• Joel Casamayor, the former lightweight champion, has resumed training after a back injury that forced him out of an April fight with Julio Diaz, manager Luis DeCubas Jr. told ESPN.com. DeCubas said there are a couple of fights for Casamayor that he's been talking about with Golden Boy. One is against Juan Diaz on Aug. 22 on HBO, although DeCubas added, "Diaz doesn't want any part of Casamayor, so I'm not so sure about that one." The other was a September fight against titleholder Edwin Valero in Las Vegas. That match would come with its own set of issues. Valero is not licensed anywhere in the United States other than Texas because of a licensing problem in New York several years ago stemming from a failed medical exam on account of a non-boxing head injury he suffered many years ago. Nevada is the strictest state in the nation when it comes to licensing fighters, especially ones who have suffered past head injuries.

box_a_alexander_65.jpg

Alexander

• The WBC announced that promoter Don King and Mick Hennessy had come to an agreement on the Devon Alexander-Junior Witter vacant junior welterweight title bout and that it would take place July 11. Although it's true the sides made a deal, the fight isn't scheduled for July 11, which is when King is co-promoting a Showtime card headlined by bantamweight titlist Joseph Agbeko against junior bantamweight champ Vic Darchinyan. "Don told me he has an agreement with Hennessy, but the fight ain't happening on that date," Kevin Cunningham, Alexander's manager and trainer, told ESPN.com. "We won't be ready for that date. We're not planning to be ready for July 11. Don hasn't told me anything other than he has an agreement with Hennessy and that he will get back to me on the date."

box_a_sithsamerchai1_sw_65.jpg

Sithsamerchai

• King is planning another card in China. In November, with the help of the Chinese government, he promoted a show in conjunction with the WBC's annual convention in Chengdu, which had been ravaged by an earthquake. It went so well that King has been invited back and is working on a card for October in a city to be determined. The probable main event will pit strawweight titlist Oleydong Sithsamerchai of Thailand in a mandatory defense against interim belt holder Juan Palacios of Nicaragua. Palacios defended his interim belt on the 2008 China card.

box_fw_cQuintana_65.jpg

Quintana

• Citing illness, former welterweight titleholder Carlos Quintana has withdrawn from his June 5 ESPN2 main event in Miami against junior middleweight brawler Danny Perez. "He had a fever for eight days and lost a tremendous amount of weight and was in no condition to fight," promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com. "We got a note from the doctor." Quintana was going to move up to junior middleweight for the fight. It's the second time this year Quintana has pulled out of an ESPN2 fight on short notice. He also withdrew from a Jan. 16 bout against Eromosele Albert, blaming a sprained ankle. No replacement to face Perez is set yet, but DiBella told ESPN.com Thursday night that Joe Greene might step in. He was scheduled to fight Saturday night on the Andre Berto-Juan Urango card, but his opponent fell out. Another possibility is Ishe Smith, the first-season participant on "The Contender" who recently signed with DiBella.

box_adamek_65.jpg

Adamek

• Main Events has announced that cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek -- who saw proposed matches with Bernard Hopkins, Glen Johnson and Matt Godfrey fall through for various reasons -- instead will defend against Bobby Gunn (21-3-1, 18 KOs) on July 11 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., where Adamek has developed a loyal following in the Polish community. Gunn, a club fighter who was knocked out in the first round of a 2007 title match with Enzo Maccarinelli, lives in Hackensack, N.J., so it figures to be a lively arena. Adamek originally was scheduled to fight July 10, but that was before Showtime backed off on buying the Godfrey match. Main Events boss Kathy Duva said the fight will be televised in the U.S., but she declined to offer details until the deal is finalized.

box_g_maccarinelli_65.jpg

Maccarinelli

• Former cruiserweight titlist Enzo Maccarinelli (29-3, 22 KOs) will try to rebuild his career starting June 27 in London on the undercard of the Andreas Kotelnik-Amir Khan junior welterweight title bout. Wales' Maccarinelli, who has parted ways with trainer Enzo Calzaghe and is working with Karl Ince, will face Denis Lebedev of Russia in a 12-rounder. Maccarinelli had rebounded from a second-round knockout loss to David Haye in a March 2008 title fight with an easy win in December. But then Maccarinelli faced Ola Afolabi for an interim belt March 14 on Khan's last undercard and was upset by Afolabi, who knocked him out in the ninth round with a crushing blow. "I've been a world champion once before, and I want to become a world champion again," Maccarinelli said. "This is a great chance for me to prove myself against an undefeated fighter, and I can't wait for June 27. I'm going to knock out Lebedev and then I'm going after Afolabi for a rematch."

box_fw_jones1_sw_65.jpg

Jones

• Rising Philadelphia welterweight prospect Mike Jones, scheduled to face Larry Mosley on June 6 in Atlantic City, N.J., withdrew from the fight this week. Jones suffered a strained muscle in his left biceps this past weekend, promoter Russell Peltz announced. According to Peltz, Jones, who will have to lay off hard training for about six weeks, was told by his doctor that continued strenuous use of his left arm could result in a torn muscle. The co-feature of junior featherweight prospect Teon Kennedy against Lucian Gonzalez will now be the main event.

box_f_mares_65.jpg

Mares

• Bantamweight contender Abner Mares (18-0, 11 KOs), a 2004 Mexican Olympian based in California, has signed with manager Frank Espinoza, best known for managing junior featherweight champ Israel Vazquez and former junior bantamweight titlist Martin Castillo. Mares, 23, who is promoted by Golden Boy, returned from an 11-month layoff caused by an eye injury to knock out Jonathan Perez in the sixth round on the May 2 Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton undercard. "His work with world champions such as Israel Vazquez and Martin Castillo speaks volumes," Mares said. "I'm confident that having him guiding my career will be a huge advantage as I make my way to a world title bout. The 118-pound division is very hot right now, and I'm looking forward to facing the very best, whether it is Fernando Montiel, Joseph Agbeko or Vic Darchinyan." Espinoza said Mares is tentatively scheduled to return July 18 on the Floyd Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez undercard.

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]
box_g_khan_65.jpg

Khan

"Every time I go out running, I see that big Hollywood sign up in the hills and think, 'I fancy some of that when I'm done with boxing.' I've always wanted to be an actor later on in life, and being here in Hollywood has given me even more motivation to go and do it. After I'm done with boxing, I'm going to treat myself to some acting lessons to help my dream become a reality. I want to become a world champion and an Oscar winner." -- Amir Khan, who is training under Freddie Roach at his Hollywood gym in preparation for a June 27 shot at junior welterweight titlist Andreas Kotelnik, on what he wants to do after boxing.

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]
box_g_valuev_65.jpg

Valuev

"I am very confident of success. I have improved a lot since the first meeting. This is certainly the most important fight of my career." -- heavyweight titlist Nikolai Valuev, who seeks revenge for his only professional loss when he meets Ruslan Chagaev in a rematch Saturday night in Helsinki, Finland.

[h2]WBO denies Barrera rematch vs. Khan[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

LONDON -- Marco Antonio Barrera has been denied a rematch with Amir Khan by the WBO despite a clash of heads before the English fighter won.

Barrera's promoter, Don King, had hoped the "tainted" lightweight bout in March at Manchester would be declared a no-contest. But the British Boxing Board of Control cleared the referee on Friday of making a mistake by not stopping the bout in the second minute of the first round when their heads collided.

The Mexican received a huge cut on the left side of his head, and the ring doctor in Manchester later stopped the contest in the fifth round. Had the fight been stopped in the fourth round, it would have been declared a no-contest to automatically force a rematch.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

how do u guys copy and paste stuff from boxingscene.com?
click on the printer friendly option on the article
and if you didnt Know Izzy has been cleared to fight , hes coming back at 126
I think Vasquez is going to hurt from the long layoff.

*Edit*
laugh.gif
at Amir Khan dreaming to go Hollywood after boxing.

Steve Cunningham is ready to dust himself off and make another run at a title.

"I've been training with Brother Naazim since March," Cunningham told ESPN.com. "I've been working hard, and he's been pushing me to a new level."

Cunningham, who has known Richardson for years because they're both from Philadelphia and have worked in the same gyms, said that he tried to hire Richardson in 2001 but that "He had too many fighters and said he couldn't give me the attention I needed." They planned to work together in 2007 when Cunningham was going to Poland for a rematch with Krzysztof Wlodarczyk, but Richardson suffered a stroke that he has since recovered from. Now, they've finally made it official.

"Naazim reminds me of my father so much," Cunningham said. "I respect him for his knowledge and for the way he trains his fighters."

pimp.gif

Bradley likely will defend against former lightweight titleholder Nate Campbell, Shaw said. Campbell, who is in bankruptcy, has been tied up in court with promoter Don King over the promotional contract Campbell rejected when he filed for bankruptcy. However, Campbell adviser Terry Trekas told ESPN.com that because the case won't finish until June 27, the team is talking to King about a one-fight deal to make the Bradley bout.
Owww
pimp.gif

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Greetings Fight Freaks to our boxing chat. The new notebook is up plus a couple of new blogs this week. We've got an excellent HBO card tomorrow night with Berto-Urango and Angulo-Cintron and Cotto-Clottey in two weeks. Let's get to it.

Kyle (Indianapolis): What do you think about Cunningham-Braithwaite not being televised and Demarco being on the show?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I wish all three were on but if I had to pick, I'd rather see the Cunningham fight. However, the card is a co-promotion between Don King and Gary Shaw and Shaw got the undercard spot for his guy, DeMarco.

Charles (Philly): After reading your blog entry on the WBC stripping Forrest, I almost went out into the yard to bite my dog.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I have no idea what you mean but it sounds amusing. That said, I am an animal lover and do not advocate biting your pets.

Chris (Waterville, ME): Dan, going to Vegas in July and will be at the Marquez/Mayweather weight-in. Will it be insane or what?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I don't expect the passion of a Hatton or Pacquiao weigh in, but if the fans turn out for the fight you can bet on a fun weigh in.

DK, TX: DTM, long time reader first time chatter. Kenny, Roach, Mayweather, Moseley, Lara, Rigondeaux. Last weeks FNF was just great television!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: The only thing missing was me.

Tim (Lincoln): So let's hear the picks for tomorrow night. Seems pretty easy to say Berto by UD and Angulo by mid-rounds KO, no?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I like Berto on points. The other fight I'm not so sure about. Angulo has poor defense and Cintron is a good puncher but I don't think he has a big heart. So if Angulo can survive the early rounds, I think it's his fight.

Tom: Dan, will Danny Jacobs be on the Mayweather/Marquez card?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I don't think he's slated for that card right now. He has an ESPN2 fight June 26.

Kevin (Grand Rapids, MI): So is Chagaev really gonna fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He weighed in so I assume so.

Chris (Kalamazoo, MI): talking of the Kenny-Floyd interview, why was it OK for Floyd to fight Oscar when he had 4 losses before the Floyd fight? Floyd is a total hypocrite. His name is even hypocritical because he has no money.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: His name should be Floyd "Needs Money" Mayweather.

Greg P (Staten Island,NY) : Dan, who's the best lightweight you have ever seen fight...how would you rank:Mosley,Floyd,Pernell,JCC at 135?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Roberto Duran.

Ghostbuster, PR: Carlos "El Indio" Quintana again withdraws from an ESPN fight. Is that the end of Quintana on ESPN?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: His second pull out of the year. I don't think they're going to go out of their way to put on another Quintana fight any time soon.

Tomas(Tx): Dantastic Four, is it possible we could see Berto in a big fight later in the year if he wins tomorrow, like a fight with Mosley?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Mosley doesn't really want that fight because it's not a big fight, so I have my doubts. But Mosley may not have a lot of options. I am sure Mosley will watch the fight this weekend with interest.

Gerardo, Chicago, IL: Dan. What am I missing? Campbell is in litigation with Don King to get out of a contract but can still get one fight with King? How does this work?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: They can agree to do the fight together and King will get his piece. If Nate wins his case, he can walk. Pure business deal.

Sean (Ft. Lauderdale, FL): Going to the Hard Rock fights tomorrow, any off TV fights worth watching? I looked at the match-ups and decided that aside from Yusef Mack, "no".

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Mack is a contender who will get an opportunity at something bigger I suspect, so check him out. Joe Greene was supposed to be on, but his fight was called off because his opponent fell out and they could not secure a replacement. Tor Hamer and Wilmer Vazquez are heavyweight prospects worth taking a look at.

Bill (Burlington, VT): Dan, what is Versus new boxing show going to be like? Are they aligned with any promoters going forward? Are all the shows going to be at the Nokia in LA?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: They are club fights being put on by Golden Boy. It's only a four-show series at the moment and Versus is airing it but not producing it. It will basically be club fights with local LA guys. The main events will be 6- or 8-round fights. It's a way to build local attractions in Southern California. Don't expect big names.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: And, yes, all of the shows will be at the Nokia Theater, which is owned by AEG, which is producing the shows and partners with Golden Boy.

Carlito Brigante: Why do boxing writers hate Floyd?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: We don't hate Floyd. But we also write the truth and don't him spin his BS.

Ryan Staten Island, NY: Any Info on Jermain Taylors Arrest in Miami?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He got arrested on Memorial Day in Miami Beach for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest and is out on bond. Nothing too serious. Supposedly, had stopped his car on a street with traffic and was told to move along. Got a little heated and got arrested. I am told heavyweight Dominick Guinn, Taylor's buddy, was also arrested with him.

Mario (Bell Gardens, CA): Danaconda, Happy Friday!!! I like Floyd's new nickname, "Needs Money"!!!

Bronk (Dillsburg, PA): What's the latest on Kelly Pavlik since the Mora fight was cancelled? His reign as champ has been lackluster for sure, don't you think?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It's been extremely disappointing. Top Rank is hoping to reschedule the Mora fight for September.

Anthony: Have you heard any reports about how Cotto's training is going? It's amazing to me he's gotten as far as he has without having a strong relationship with his trainer.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Cotto spoke to the media yesterday on a conference call and I was on it. He sounded excited for the fight and ready to go. Said he really liked training in Tampa and that his camp was going smoothly without issues and he was glad to have peace in his camp without his uncle. He said he has no distractions. He was about 153 pounds, which is right where he should be at this time. I can't wait for the fight.

Daniel (UK): Bobby Gunn was the worst world title challenger I have ever seen when he fought Maccarinelli. It's a joke that anyone would sanction him for one title fight in his career, nevermind two!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I agree. Adamek should destroy him and if he doesn't I will be disappointed.

Jay (New York): "The only thing missing was me." Easy, Mr. Ego. Who do you think you are, Floyd Mayweather?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It was a joke dude.

Klondike, Nashville, TN: Hey Dan, is it me or is BK always trying to undermine and irritate Money May with his questions? Why does BK have to be so combative with Floyd all the time? Where's his journalistic ethic? Your take...

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: My take is that he knows Floyd is full of it and can get away with that crap he talks with some other media who are just happy to be talking to him. Brian is no fool. He knows the deal and is willing to ask Mayweather questions he doesn't like. The ethic is fine. It's called hard questioning not being in the tank. Nothing wrong with it. I do the same thing when I question fighters.

Newt (Jacksonville): Hey Dan, I'm on the fence about going to Cotto-Clottey fight at MSG or staying home and watching it in glorious high-definition. Leaning heavily to buying tickets, though (you just can't beat live). Any prospects on the undercard that you recommend catching?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: You can always record it. There is nothing like being at the live fight and that atmosphere will be awesome. Iron Boy Calderon is in a solid title defense on the card. Korobov will be on as well as some local prospects. You can check the schedule on ESPN.com that I keep for the full card.

Rick, Marina, Ca: Whats up Dan, i would like to see the Baby Bull take on Joel Casa, the top 2 lightweights that lost to JMM. It makes sense.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I sort of like that fight!

E (Omaha): Sorry my fellow freaks, but Floyd brings all the scrutiny on himself with his claims his is the greatest of all-time.

Jay (GA): How likely is a fight between Casamayor-Valero? That fight has "Valero-exposed" written all over it.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If it happens, Valero will need to get a license in Vegas or the fight will have to be in Texas.

Tomas(Tx): Staying on the subject of interviewing fighters, have you had any heated interviews with anyone, and if so, who?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Of course I have. You don't cover the beat for almost 10 years and not have a few rough ones. I've gotten into it with Hopkins a few times and Tyson. But usually things are fine and dandy.

E (Omaha): D$$ - BK's statement to Floyd if he should be champion emeritus forever was classic

M.K. (Texas): You ever been close to exchanging punches with anyone during an interview?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: No.

Ricardo (Bronx, NY): Hey Dan, I know it will not be on TV, but the same way your writing got Devon Alexander a fight, and other awakenings your writing has provided over the years, isn't there something that can be done to get the Calderon fight on HBO? One of the great artists of this generation deserves to be showcased on national TV, to the casual fan.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: No. The fight won't be on HBO. Just deal with it.

Tony(Tampa): Dan, Prayers go out to Mike Tyson and his family with his loss of his 4 yr old daughter. Hope he has a strong support system to get him thru this tought time.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I agree, of course.

Kermit Cintron : Angulo better not headbutt me with his fist.

Greg P (Staten Island,NY) : Dan, did you ever see Duran fight at 135 or was it from video?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I'm not that old. I have seen prime Duran lightweight fights on video. I have some of them on DVD.

Nick - South Dakota: where can you see the Tyson documentary?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I saw it in the theater here in Northern Virginia a couple of weeks ago. Am I Mr. Movie Phone? Look it up you dope.

Mario (Bell Gardens, CA): Danaconda, I agree that Angulo could be the next great Mexican fighter, but I think that Victor Ortiz probably has a better chance, no? He's younger, he's got charisma, and he's pretty good. Thoughts???

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I'm a huge Ortiz fan. I had him as prospect of the year. But he's born in America and not a Mexican fighter. He's Mexican-American. Angulo is a Mexican national.

Edwin Valero: Thank you for accepting me to the Winky Wright School Of Boxing Business.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: We have also accepted Tavoris Cloud into our Class of 2009.

Jose Suliman (WBC): Dan, for giving us props on your blog, we are awarding you the "Fight Writer Peace Ambassador to Sanctioning Organizations" title. Congrats!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: No thanks. Shove it.

Briks, Philly: Sucks to see Mike Jones hurt. When is he going to get a chance to showcase his talent to the boxing public?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: When one of the TV networks opens its eyes and gives the kid a chances. Yeah, that's you ShoBox and ESPN2 I'm talking to.

Jose (Cali): Dan sorry if i sound stupid, but was that title of ambassador of good will & peace given to Vernon Forrest a joke or was it actually serious?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It was actually serious, which is what makes it so pathetic.

Jon (DC): Dan, for your blog on Dawson and Cloud, did you try to get a comment from Cloud or his team? What is their take?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I spoke to them. They are insane.

Ricky Hatton Fanclub: If you can't beat him.... JOIN HIM "Theres only one Mayweather!!"

Winky Wright: I am still the Valedectorian of the Winky WRight School of Boxing Business. Don't forget that!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: No, you are the dean.

Vivian Harris: Tavoris & Edwin will do just fine, I'll show them the ropes here at the prestigious Winky Wright School of Boxing Business.

Bronk (Dillsburg, PA): How long could James Kirkland's prison term actually last? What a shame. Talk about an exciting fighter on the rise being derailed.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It hasn't gone to trial yet.

Matthew Hatton: I am happy to announce I have hired Shower D. Oor to be my trainer for my Zab Judah fight.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Hilarious.

Paul Providence, RI: Dan, was Adamek vs Godfrey ever close to getting signed and what happened to nix the fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Showtime ended up passing. When that happened, there went some of the money, so Godfrey was out and a cheaper (and worse) opponent was signed in Gunn.

Winky Wright School of Business: We have recognized Tavaris Cloud's management team as this semester's prize students!

Ron (bethel ct): Any word if Khan vs Kotelnik will be distributed in some type of ppv for the U.S.? I thought they did a really good job with Khan Barrera card and it was reasonably priced. I would enjoy seeing Khan in action again

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I agree with you but right now there are no plans for that as June 27 is a busy boxing day in America with an HBO show and Top Rank's PPV.

Daniel (NYC): where the heck has max kellerman been? i believe you said hes doing cotto clottey, but since he was let go from espn radio, there has been a huge void in my life. next time you see him, can you tell him to come back?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Your man crush will be on HBO tomorrow doing the BAD card.

Julio (BX): So will there be any way to see the Calderon fight? Internet feed?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If you buy a ticket or watch it on TV in Puerto Rico you can see it.

Greg P (Staten Island,NY) : Dan, best news out there is that G Johnson is going to get his much deserved rematch w/Dawson...are they close to a deal& when would they fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: They are basically done with a deal. Maybe some small stuff. But when Dawson gave up his title that was a sign the deal would get done. And since DiBella and Loen Margules, who co-promote Glen, are at the show in Florida for the Berto-Urango fight, and Gary Shaw, who has Dawson, is there for Angulo you figure they will meet in person and wrap it up. Plus HBO is there also, so it'll get done.

DRUNK BRITS (ENGLAND): "THERE'S ONLY ONE 'NEEDS MONEY'......OOOOOOONE 'NEEDS MONEY'....STROLLING ALONG, SINGING THIS SONG, WALKING IN A MONEY WONDERLAND......"

Rick, Marina, Ca: So did you see the Rafa Marquez fight? How did he look?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I did watch it. He looked rusty. His jab was slow and lazy. But he can still punch. Nice knockout and a good fight to shake off the rust.

Aaron (MA): what network do you think Adamek and Gunn will be on?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Local Comcast stations I would bet.

Mark (Chicago): If Cunningham wins his eliminator, do you think a rematch with Adamek would get picked up by HBO or Showtime? With such a terrific first fight, I would hope they would put some effort (and money) into promoting the rematch.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I would think that if Adamek and Cunningham agree to a rematch one of the main networks will certainly pick it up.

Larry (UK): Floyd said on SKY that he would have loved to have been able to fight Aaron Pryor and Pernell Whitaker. How do you see those fights (in their primes)?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Based on Mayweather's way of picking opponents I do not believe he would have ever fought either of them but he would say he would beat both. You mean the Leonard with the loss to Duran?
smile.gif

Steve (NYC): Prediction on Minto- Seldon?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Please tell me you are not serious.

lorenzo pugliese jr ( Lancaster PA): Paul Williams vs Mayweather who wins... I say Williams

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I agree.

carlos (houston, tx): Any news from where rafael marquez will fight next?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Nothing definite by any means, but I think it could be fight 4 with Vazquez in the fall.

Matt (Buffalo): Or when Floyd fought Baldomir with 13 losses at the time if i recall. Or fighting Judah and calling it a title fight after Judah had just lost to Baldomire. Come on Mayweather don't use those arguments. It just makes you look bad.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Exactly. He's very selective with his memory.

Eric(OH): Do you see the Marquez Mayweather fight being very competitive? Will Mayweather manhandle the smaller Marqeuz? Or will Floyd be too rusty?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: How many times you gonna ask? We'll get to that in July.

David (NY, NY): Dan, this Pavlik-Mora thing is so suspicious....what do u think really happened and do u think it'll def be rescheduled?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Pavlik was in a contract dispute with Top Rank. That is what happened. It will be worked out and the fight probably will happen.

Ryan SI NY: Is Berto cherrypicking by fighting Urango?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I don't think so. Of all the guys out there he is perfectly legit of those available.

Dre Little (PA): Any news on brother Nazim Richardson? Is he training anybody good?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Obviously you didn't look at today's notebook so you may be banned. Banishment?

Charles (Philly): RAD tomorrow?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: YES! Around 11:45ish. Be there.

E (Omaha): D$$ - I think I have a new all time favorite KO! Enjoy Freaks!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: One of the greatest knockouts of all time!!!!!!!

Banishment: Steve, I'm hungry. Come on down!

Mikey (Levittown, NY): Dan, do you plan on blogging about the heinous WBA and how they told both Victor Ortiz and Dimitry Salita that they are the mandatory challengers (even though neither guy has beated a top 10 opponent)?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I've already mentioned it. The WBA is disgusting. It does something like this about once a week.

The Freaks: We are BUSTING at the notion of an RAD tomorrow!!!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Just relax.

Banishment: Dre this is not your day. BANNED!

Team Allan Green: We would like to nominate ourselves for next semester honors at the Winky Wright School of Business.

Justin (Springfield, NJ): Is Juan Diaz being talked about for an undercard spot on Mayweather-Marquez? If so, is it because the Baby Bull is looking for a softer touch in his comeback fight than HBO is willing to approve for BAD?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Golden Boy has gone back and forth. Maybe on the PPV and maybe on BAD. They're talking to HBO about it.

Concerned Freak: Any Bat Tweets today from the Bat Twitter?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I don't tweet.

Doesn't Matter: Floyd would never give you a second of his time for an interview. The guy is the best boxer and you all slag him. He spent alot of his career fighting the bigger guys in his 130 and 135pound campaigns.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Another typical idiot with no clue.

Marc (Malden, MA): Mike Criscio's comments about not knowing Tavoris Cloud if he was standing right in front of him or bringing him pizza...HILARIOUS

James(Philly): Dude why don't you just admit you dont like PBF? Its pretty obvious. You get asked how he'd fair against Pryor or Whitaker, and instead of just saying how he'd stack up, you take a shot. I think Floyd is dead on when he says everyone wants him to fight Pac, but IF he wins, everyone would just say he should've, Pac is smaller. And when he makes a good point about comparing his and Pac's fight with De La Hoya(weight/gloves) no one mentions it.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Aaron (Hartford): How possible is it that we might see Mundine on US TV soon now that he beat Geale ?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Seems unlikely and nobody in America gives a rat's you know what.

John (NYC): Who is this Tyson Fury guy that people keep talking about?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He's a giant British heavyweight prospect with under 10 fights. I've seen a bunch of his fights. He can crack but he has a LONG way to go. Right now, he's way more hype than anything. But let's see how he develops. He's definitely big.

Joel Julio: Dad...whats going on with me?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the Love Child. Nothing is going on with you.

NYPD Blue, Brooklyn, NY: So how will David Haye be remembered? Another Fraudley Harrison or the new Mike Tyson?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Depends what happens June 20.

Ryan SI NY: Will Manny Pacqiuao fight on Oct 17th?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: That's a date Arum has mentioned but nothing is set whatsoever.

Brandon (Arlington, VA): I love the hand wringing from the anti-PBF section of boxing fans. The man is a genius at playing a certain role for his fights. 40% of boxing fans will pay to see him because they like him... 60% (perhaps i'm underestimating) will pay hoping he gets his head knocked off... and PBF is laughing all the way to the bank.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Laughing all the way to the bank? You mean the bank where he blew all his money?

The Freaks: What time is RAD tommorrow! So psyched!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: 11:45ish, in other words after the HBO fights.

Joe (NYC): Abraham's new opponent is a joke. Why doesn't Pavlik just scratch the fight with Mora and fight Abraham in the fall?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If only it was that easy.

Ameican Banks: We have given Floyd Mayweather most of our TARP money, thus we need more!

NK (NYC): Can you imagine how the negotiations for a pacquaio and mayweather fight will go? Two of Pacquaio's last fights were almost called off because he wanted a bigger share. I imagine this will be a huge impediment to the fight happening.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If they get to the table, the negotiations for this fight will agonizing.

E (Omaha): I love the Floyd apologists! It's called being objective people. If you make the claim YOU are THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME, you really should have the resume to back it up. Plain & simple

Pete (NYC): Serious question... and this is from someone who watches just about every televised boxing card there is... what does Tavoris Cloud look like?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I don't even really remember. I would need to pull out my DVD of his win over Julio Gonzalez from like eight months ago.

Patrick (Mexico): I don't understand why Floyd's fans don't want to see him in a challenge. Shouldn't they be pushing him to jump in with someone dangerous?

Mark (Cleveland): ohh i finally figured out what RAD means... Rafael After Dark. i feel stupid..

Idiot (RI): Any idea on Joey Spina's next opponent?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I'd rather talk about Minto vs. Seldon.

Tavoris "My Head Is In A" Cloud: Stop ducking me Chad or else I will write more angry letters to boxing websites.

Floyd Mayweather: In addition to Wrestlemania and Dancing with the Stars, I have now taken a new job, teaching Financial Responsibility at the Winky Wright School of Business.

Breaking Bad, New Mexico: So is Arreola definitely fighting Vitali? Is he ready for a fight that big?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: No, there is nothing definite. Vitali still has issues with Maskaev and the WBC.

Chip(TX): My garbage man told me the other day that he boxes and has knocked out all but one of his opponents. Is it possible he is Tavoris Cloud?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It's possible. What about your pizza delivery man?

Bernie Madoff: I have an investment I'm going to pitch Floyd.

Joel (ny): Dan, is it true devon alexander and junior witter is set for july 11th, if so, any tv coverage?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: No it is not true despite what other outlets have reported. The promoters made a deal but it is not on July 11 unless something changes. Read my notebook for details that are correct, not the misinformation out there on other sites.

DanTheBoxingFan (Nutley NJ): Dan will you be at the latin fury event in AC?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Yes.

Kumar (NJ): What's the deal with Pacquaio possibly retiring next year? Is he serious? Hes at his peak, he def should go at least another 2-3 years.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If you really think Manny is retiring next year, I have some sweet land in the Everglades for you.

Raphael (London, UK): Can't wait to see Korobov again on 6/13- if that guy doesn't become a top p4p, i'll eat my punchbag...

Charles (Philly): In the video I've seen from their promotional tour, Mayweather looks a LOT bigger than Marquez. Can this thing really be competitive?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He is a lot bigger based on seeing that video.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Boxing Bat Phone. Hold on for a sec.

Anthony (NY): Have you ever heard a boxer say training camp was going anything less than good?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Only after the fact!

Ben (FL): I cant believe people are upset about Rigondeaux's debut. What do they expect him to fight Vasquez in his first fight as a pro?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Exactly. He had been off for a long time and even though he is so experienced as an amateur he is a human being and might have been a little nervous. Bottom line -- he got the debut out of the way and won easily.

Beenie (Lauderdale): Gamboa and Top Rank. Is it a match made in Heaven?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It's not done yet but they are talking seriously.

Keith (Astoria, NY): Good father or true Freak? Taking my 5yr old son to MSG for Cotto-Clottey, his first live fight!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Bad father. I think that's too young for a child of that age to be at a fight live.

Steve (ct): did shaw really make that offer to cloud about fighting in chad's undercard and hbo agreed? if its true clould is an idiot!!!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: 100 percent and Cloud's people even told me it was true. Fight on HBO on the tv undercard of Dawson-Johnson 2. If Cloud and Dawson win, a guarantee that Dawson's next fight will be against Cloud and on HBO.

Nick - South Dakota: why, my son watches fights on TV all the time, he's four, he likes to play box with me, hes got some hard punches man.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Because it's different in the arena than on TV.

Harold, Clothier, WV: DANIMAL, miss your ratin' all the divisions and your comments on each fighter and thier next fight, how bout a ressurection???

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Dude are you blind? The rankings are updated every single week. There's a link on top of the boxing page and they are featured every Monday afternoon.

Tavoris Cloud (Fantasyland): Everyone will know what look like after I headline Arum's Macau stadium card vs. Spadafora!

Tim Geithner (washington, dc): I want to speak with Floyd Mayweather about how to handle the TARP funds.

Tom (Danbury,CT): Speaking of retirements, have you decided on where Ellerbe is taking you yet?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It is under discussion.

Brian (Austin, Texas): Freak status check: I'm chatting here during school in the middle of finals week on one of my teacher's computers.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Freak.

Joe: San Francisco, CA: Just out of curiosity, what do you think is a good age to take a kid to a fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I would say maybe 10 or 12.

Nathan(Md): Aside from his fights with De la hoya, has Mosley ever done decent PPV numbers?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He did very well with both fights against Vargas and also nice numbers for his fight with Cotto.

Oleg Maskaev: Why do I deserve a title shot?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: You don't.

Ed Portland OR: if PBF dosent fight for "bragging rights", then he should shut up about being the greatest!

Mike (New York): Dan ban me or do what you have to do but in my opinion Juan Diaz does not deserve to be headlining a HBO card at this point. He got knocked out cold in his last fight and has lost 2 out of 3. Let him get a good win on an undercard before he keeps headlining cards.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: You have a reasonable point. But I would say as long as Diaz is in a legit fight, he's still a top lightweight and makes great fights. He lost a close decision with Campbell and got stopped by the No. 2 fighter in the world in a fight that was very competitive. At least he fights the best guys. When that happens, you'll lose here and there.

chuck (la): 5 is way too young for an intense, rowdy atmosphere like a big fight. take the kid to a baseball game.

Jim (Tacoma, WA): Do you think Jean Marc-Mormeck can make a splash in the weak heavyweight division?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: No. He's older and has no chin.

Hal (Memphis): Dan, Your advice for Adamek to turn down the Hopkins fight sure turned out great, huh? He went from a chance to be in the biggest cruiserweight bout in a decade to fighting Bobby Gunn off television. He should hire you as his manager.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Now, I'm going to have to teach you something Hal because you are obviously slow. First off, Adamek's fight will have TV, so you are wrong right there. You obviously didn't read my notebook today. Maybe though you are not able to read. Second, Adamek will make a good payday because they will do a good gate and he has Polish TV revenue and his opponent costs 5 cents. So Adamek will get his fans excited, smash a weak opponent while defending his title and making a decent payday while still being right there for a big fight later in the year. That's better than being taken advantage of when you bring something to the table, namely a gate, big overseas TV money and the freaking legit title.

Brian (Austin, Texas): Please tell me Mikkel Kessler has something in the works.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: A court date with his promoter.

Ric (Chicago): D-Raf, a friend asked me to youtube Saul Alvarez a 18 yr old prodigy with skills and an edge to boot; WOW! I think we may have the next Great Mexican fighter?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I've seen a couple of his fights. He looks like Howdy Doody but he's exciting and very young. He's been gaining popularity in Mexico from what I am told and his fights are mainly on Televisa, which is a huge network in Mexico. So maybe he can also become a top Mexican star.

bill (carmel, ny): don't forget to remind hal from memphis that hopkins vs. adamek still might happen early next year.

Mike (NY): Regarding Adamek, while all those points are valid, its no where near the exposure he would get fighting Hopkins. And if he actually beat him, think about the type of paydays he could get.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: The point is that Hopkins fight will still be there if Hopkins wants to get in reality about the deal.

John (da Natti): Why does Caballero deserve a RING P4P ranking over Ivan Calderon? I'm confused.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Because Ring made a horrific decision.

Corner (anywhere): Come cower in me Hal.

Patrick (Mexico): Hal stop making Memphis look bad.

Rick (Saint Paul, MN): Dan, what is your reasoning for placing Andre Dirrel in your top 10 168ers but not Andre Ward?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I believe at this point, Dirrell has a better overall resume. Simple as that.

Ring: We are only 999,999 awful decisions away from the WBA

Nick (NYC): dan - i read on wikipedia that Fernando Vargas is planning another comeback at the end of this year - is this true?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Ummm no, unless it's in a hot dog eating contest.

Sergio Mora: You wonder why I didn't want to fight in Memphis.

Matt ( Lincoln, NE): Dan, does Tavoris Cloud now fight Clinton Woods for the vacent title?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: That is the likely scenario, a fight that nobody in America will care about one iota and one that likely won't be on US TV. And even if Cloud wins, then what?

Mzonke Fana: How funny is it that I am once again a mandatory challenger?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: About as funny as foot fungus.

Steve (Boston): Dan is it true that Santos-Mayorga is being kicked around?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Not in any serious way.

Greg(Los Angeles): Dan any idea who Cloud is promoted by?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Rickie Boy Promotions.

Tom (Danbury,CT): Maybe Cloud can go after the IHOP title.

Randy (Maine): Why did you not write a piece on the Valuev-Chagaev fight this weekend? It is a significant heavyweight fight, Dan.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I mentioned it last week in my notebook with a section on it, mentioned it briefly in my notebook this week and today's blog. However, few in America give a crap, it's not on TV here and neither fighter was made available to the American media. I have better things to do with my time than chase down heavyweights in a fight I and few others care about. It shows you how pathetic the heavyweight division is.

Viewer: NO FNFs tonight? What's up with that???????????

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: ESPN has an NCAA contract to fulfill so we get college softball tourney instead.

Aaron (Hartford): aaahhh ...remember the days when freaks would ask if there would be any OT ....

Mike NJ: Are you surprised at all that Lennox never made a comeback all these years? I am

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Not entirely. I know Lennox cherishes his legacy of retiring as heavyweight champion and having beaten all of his opponents.

Robbie- TX: I will be in NY the week of the Cotto fight, do you think there is anyway I could see him workout that week ?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I don't know the exact details but Cotto is supposed to be doing an open workout at some point I think in Spanish Harlem.

Sam (Chicago, IL): Dan -- what do you think of John David Jackson's comments (also seconded by Nate Campbell) that Pacquiao's handlers have avoided putting him in with slick African-American fighters?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I think it was a dumb comment and that JDJ, a good dude, wants to get his man Nate Campbell the fight.

Michael (Toronto): So what happened on the Bat Phone?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I got a call to tell me who had been signed to fight Jorge Arce in Mexico on June 20.

Charles (Philly): Does the WBO have a good reason for refusing to sanction Bradley-Guzman?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Yeah, Guzman is not rated at 140 and doesn't deserve a title shot.

Larry (jersey): dan--- in your opinion, based on what you've witnessed, which fighter today is the worst with the fans (no autographs, acknowledgement, etc...) and who would you say is the best (Patient, smiles, shakes hands, etc..)

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Honestly, I can't think of any fighter who is that bad with fans when they get into that situation. I've seen them all sign and take pictures from Oscar to Manny to Hatton, you name it. Hopkins runs hot and cold but I've also seen him sign and take pictures too. Boxers, from what I have seen for many years, are the most giving athletes I have ever seen when it comes to dealing with their fans.

Berndawg: GOT, Sorry I'm late

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Don't let it happen again.

Mario (Bell Gardens, CA): Danaconda, my brother is good friends with a boxer named Urbano Antillon. I caught his last fight on live T.V. a few weeks back. He looks really good. Have you seen him yet and if so what do you think?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I've seen him many times, including that fight. Antillon is exciting and has a lot of potential. He is certainly a guy with a fan friendly style.

E (Omaha): D$$ - Have you had a chance to speak to Mike Tyson since his tragedy? A big Freak condolence to Mike & his family.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I haven't talked to Mike but I did write him an email to express my condolences.

Joe (Stamford, CT): That Amir Khan quote in the notebook is pretty scary. Apparently, he's gone Tony Romo.

Tomas(tx): Who you got between Guerrero and Johnnie Edwards?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Guerrero, pretty easily.

Allan Green: I don't understand what all the fuss is about Quintana backing out of another fight on short notice...

John (Albany): What are you looking forward to more? Your next trip to the dentist or the so called "heavyweight title" fight this Sat

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: The fight. Let's not get crazy.

Jorge Arce: Who am I fighting?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Fernando Lumacad from the Philippines.

Chris (Kalamazoo, MI): Dan, when Angulo beats Cintron tomorrow, he'll be Martinez's mandatory. Talk about a great fight. It would be like watch Marquez-Diaz again.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It is a good fight. Angulo's people have also expressed an interest in challenging Cory Spinks for his title and Spinks' manager and trainer Kevin Cunningham told me they would love to fight Angulo.

Mike (FL): You Floyd hating writers are a joke. First you trash Floyd for fighting Oscar and Hatton but then annoit Pac the best thing ever for fighting the same two stiffs. This is a joke especially since Oscars weight for the Pac fight was way too low You guys really need to check yourself into a mental facility

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Mike, Mike, Mike. You're a tool. Go back and read my articles and come with proof. I NEVER gave Floyd grief for fighting Oscar or Hatton. You need not only a mental facility but a lobotomy.

Javier, Miami, FL: Dan, besides the DLH PPV and the Hatton PPV, has Floyd ever done great PPV numbers? Its comical how he calls him the "cash cow" when DLH was the main attraction in their fight which paved the way to the big Hatton-Floyd PPV numbers.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He's delusional. He's allowed. It's America.

Banishment: I was going to fast today but Mike from Florida has changed my mind

Kevin (Fall River): Why is the Cunningham-Braithwaite fight not on TV for Showtime? That seems like a very interesting fight.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Call Showtime.

daniel (NYC): can i have mike tyson's email?

sn2.gif

Nick - South Dakota: According to Australia's "The Daily Telegraph", Ruslan Chagaev (25-0-1, 17 KOs) has yet again withdrawn from the fight against Nikolai Valuev (50-1, 34 KOs) after contracting hepatitis.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: As far as I know the fight with Chagaev is on. He weighed in.

Nick, Florida: Have you ever met any fighter in all your yrs. who has a bigger ego than Floyd

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Yes. His name is Roy Jones.

Brian (Concord NC): Next time Floyd's talks about Shane or anybody else not being a draw, someone should remind him that before 2007 there was no interest in Floyd outside of hardcore Boxing fans and that it took Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Vince Mcmahon, and ABC to turn him into the "Cash Cow" he claims to be.

Rich S3 (Stamford CT): Dan, who gets the blame for Pavlik's lackluster reign as champ thus far? Arum for making weak fights or Kelly for losing the Hopkins fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Both.

james - MI: dan: most humble fighter you've ever met? Shane?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Shane is up there. There are quite a few humble guys. I've always found Hatton a pretty humble guy. The Klitschkos are humble guys. Cotto is also.

Michael (Toronto): DTM, I just saw on your schedule that there's a Philip Ndou-Lovemore N'Dou fight coming up??? Does Lovemore's apostrophe offer him an advantage in the ring?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I'm not sure.

Matt ( Lincoln, NE): Dan, who would you say has the best chin in boxing?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: There a lot of guys who can take a punch but off the top of my head in no order how about guys like Librado Andrade, Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, Glen Johnson, Tomaz Adamek and Mosley.

Javier, Miami, FL: Dan, how is the volume in the chats the last few months? It seems like Boxing is being talked about much more in the media and the casual sports fan is even getting into it with all these great fights.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It's been excellent. I can also say this -- last week, for example, the term "boxing" was the No. 1 most searched for term on all of ESPN,com. The term "Floyd Mayweather" was 7th.

matt, tx: best ref in boxing?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: There are a lot of top officials. I think guys like Kenny Bayless, Tony Weeks and Steve Smoger are among the very best.

bk (philly): gerry penalosa? thats a great chin.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: As our broadcast hero would say: Definitely.

Brian (Austin, Texas): Do you believe Haye when he says he'll retire by the time he's 30?

sn2.gif

Gerald (Dale City, VA): Man the Floyd lovers are really attacking you today. I love Floyd too but if you take a step back everything BK said was true and Mayweather knew it. Get over it Floyd has never I repeat never fought a true welterweight in their prime .Its facts

Sean (Ft. Lauderdale, FL): Any word on when tickets go on sale for Vic-Agbeko card? Don King is killing me.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Nobody knows. I asked DKP recently and there was no date given.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: OK, folks, we have an update directly from the source at Sauerland Event, which is the promoter for Chagaev.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: According to the Bat Email, it is not clear if the fight with Valuev is on or off. Here is the message I received: "situation to be decided, we´ll keep you posted."

Joe Cortez: I'm fair, I'm firm, but I'm not the best?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Not since your horrific handling of Soto-Lorenzo 1.

Charles (Philly): Speaking of Lights Out, is there any truth to the internet rumors that he may face Liakovich in August?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Those "internet rumors" are not rumors. They are my reporting that fight is being discussed but by no means a done deal.

Rick (Tampa): Why is the fight a "situation to be decided?"?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Because Chagaev may have Hepatitis.

Steve (NYC): Does Brewster or Meehan step in? Can we get away from the Ruiz, Valuez, Chagev, Holyfield round robin?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If Chagaev is out, Meehan or Brewster, both of whom are on the undercard, would step in.

Brian (Austin, Texas): Chagaev should just retire, it would save everyone a lot of time.

John (NJ): PRAY Ruiz is nowhere near Helsinki!

Sean (Ft. Lauderdale, FL): What about Russell? I thought he did a great job in Marquez-Vasquez III. And who do you think is the worst of major refs? (Cole or Cortez would be up there for me).

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Pat Russell is also an outstanding referee.

Adam (Seattle, Wa): Dan i do feel a lil bias on your behalf.. You always post peoples post that bash Floyd but neve the ones who praise the best fighter on the planet... And can you Proove he needs money just cuz he owes the I.R.S> money doesnt mean hes broke

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I didn't say he was broke but you can bank that he needs the cash. That $6 mil IRS lein doesn't just go away. It grows.

Bernie (Philly): Yo Dan, I'm a big Jhonny Gonzalez fan. Are his days as a title challenger now over?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He has certainly taken a huge step backward with a bad knockout loss last week.

Daian, Miami: Dan, In a local TV programs Luis DeCubas said that they were looking for Rigondeuax to beat the record for fighting for a title which is like 7 fights- owned by moore. do you think is possible

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Luis has told me that is what they want to do but 7 fights is not the record for a world title fight. I'm not sure if this is the record, but Veerapol Sahprom from Thailand won the WBA bantamweight title in his fourth pro fight.

Jim (Balt, MD): Who do you think are the biggest duckers in the sport today?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Mayweather, Mayweather, Mayweather, Forrest, Mayweather, Forrest, Mayweather, Mayweather, Forrest.

Jeff (OH): Nobody's "bashing" Floyd, they're just stating facts to try and give the PBF apologists a little context. He's a great fighter, arguably the best alive today. But he claims he's the best fighter of all time, when facts are he hasn't fought a true great in his own weight class. Nobody's hating on him for chasing the big money, we're only saying you can't claim to be the best of all time when there are legitimate challenges out there that he flat-out will not take on.

Ryan (Fairport, NY): The list of opponents PBF has ducked reads like a future Hall of Fame induction roster: Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, etc etc etc

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: But at least he's fighting the lightweight champ.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: OK, Freaks, thanks for the chat. Hope you enjoy this weekend's fights and read the notebook and blogs. Report back here after the HBO card on Saturday night for a special edition chat, a little Rafael After Dark. See you then. Peace.

If Nate Campbell uses his jab effectively and has a consistent work rate throughout the fight he should win easy against Bradley. Maybe even KO him. IMO.

Holt shoulda beat Bradley but he decided to let Tim outwork him in almost every round.

maybe its a move up in weight so its unchartered waters but Nate got too many styles.

Timmy aint that good to me

He wont be fightin no damn Kendall Holt thats for sure.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Holt shoulda beat Bradley but he decided to let Tim outwork him in almost every round.
SMH...I scored the fight a draw (Had Tim up 2 going into final round....then Holt floors him again). I like Bradley though it may be my Calibias, but dude is slick word to Holt.

I'd go with Bradley. Nate is old, and at this point i think overrated. The guy is a great quote and seems like a great guy out of the ring, but where isall this love coming from? Sure, he had a great performance against Juan Diaz, but he looked less than impressive against Funeka, lost to Isaac Hlatshwayo whohappened to get drilled and embarassed by Kendall Holt, and lost to Robbie Peden TWICE. I like Nate, but i think he's getting a little too much love off ofone great peformance over the last 5 years.

Ruslan Chagaev left heavyweight titleholder Nikolai Valuev at the altar once again.

For the third time, Chagaev pulled out of a mandated rematch with Valuev on Friday -- after the fighters had already weighed in for Saturday night's fight in Helsinki, Finland, the first heavyweight title bout ever scheduled to take place in that country.

The entire card was also called off because of the cancellation of the fight.

Chagaev "was unable to fulfill the Finnish boxing federation's medical requirements," according to a statement from Valuev promoter Sauerland Event.

It has been widely reported, however, that Chagaev is infected with hepatitis B, the same reason he had to withdraw from one of the previously scheduled rematches with Valuev.

"Finnish law prevents disclosure of any further private health medical information," the statement said.

Russia's Valuev (50-1, 34 KOs) was aiming to avenge the only defeat of his professional career. Chagaev, of Uzbekistan, won a majority decision against Valuev in April 2007 to claim a title in Germany.

"I would have loved to make this fight but given those circumstances it is not possible," Valuev said.

After Chagaev (25-0-1, 17 KOs) made one defense, a decision victory against Matt Skelton in January 2008, he had two rematches scheduled with Valuev but withdrew because of various injuries and illness.

The long layoff caused the WBA to demote Chagaev to "champion in recess." Because of that status, Chagaev had to fight Valuev by the end of June.

Valuev outpointed former-titleholder John Ruiz for the vacant belt in August 2008.

Valuev claimed a controversial decision against Evander Holyfield to retain the belt in December, and, after Chagaev was medically cleared to fight, he won a six-round technical decision against Carl Davis Drummond in February.

This set the stage for the third rematch when Sauerland Event won the right promote to the fight in an April purse bid, beating Chagaev promoter Universum.

Universum issued a statement claiming Chagaev was fit to fight:

"We cannot understand all this. Ruslan Chagaev is ready to box. His blood work has been stable for several years, including before this fight. The German Boxing Federation, the WBA and Dr. Walter Wagner, the doctor representing the Austrian Boxing Federation which regulates cards of Sauerland Events, have all classified him as safe. They are trying to dodge Ruslan Chagaev here by hook or by crook. We will examine this situation very closely and take any steps necessary."

Before boarding a flight from New York to Helsinki, co-promoter Don King released a statement saying the WBA should announce Valuev as its undisputed champion.

"Nikolai has been patient in waiting for Chagaev to become medically fit to fight," King said. "We applaud the WBA for making every effort to allow Chagaev to return, but it is clear now that we must move on."

It was unclear what the sanctioning body would decide.

"It's a decision that the board of the directors of the WBA has to make," WBA official George Martinez said to the Associated Press. "We will meet as soon as possible and address the problem. We have to collect all the facts and in a proper time we'll make a decision."

With former heavyweight titleholder Lamon Brewster of the United States and fringe contender Kali Meehan of Australia scheduled to box on the undercard, Sauerland Event said it tried to negotiate with both fighters to fill in for Chagaev on short notice in order to salvage the card. However, terms could not be reached with either fighter.

"Unfortunately, we have no other chance but to call the whole show off," Sauerland Event general manager Chris Meyer said. "Our top priority is Nikolai's health and it could not be guaranteed."

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer. The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Jas One NY: On my wayy to berto fight chump ima try n get on tv like them fools at that fight in LA that time
bigmike110286: lmao
Auto response from Jas One NY: I'm away...

bigmike110286: ok dont get ur %#! throwing out
Jas One NY: Hhahaha I know
bigmike110286: im die laughing if i see security taken out a light skin $+*%%
Jas One NY: I'm in green polo tee and camo shorts black n green yankees hat

I'm picking Angulo but I think Cintron is a very live opponent and will make it a tough fight.� Cinton's power combined with Angulo suspect defensecould make things interesting.�

Berto by wide decision.�

I know a lot of people here probably aren't big Cintron fans, including myself, so you might appreciate this
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom