09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Something was wrong with Angulo.... I wouldn't not be surprised if we found out later Angulo was fighting with swine flu or something

nerd.gif
lmfao
roll.gif

kermit said that was his best performance...if so...he has a lot of work to do. now im ready for the boi berto to rock urango

Originally Posted by SylvesterMcGrizzly

Fight proved nuttin to me tho..performance didn't move me at all...its not that he took the win, its that Angulo did nothing of significance besides plod forward without jabbing

That's the way Angulo always fights more aggressive but gets hit with every punch thrown at him he has absolutely no defense and most good boxers woulddance circles around him.

i got Berto winning an easy fight.

BTW where's gunna? did he go to the fight?

gunna is at the fight, he said he is going to try and get on TV and i told him security will be taken him out LOL

are these fights any good? im to busy clowning cavs fans tonight

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

gunna is at the fight, he said he is going to try and get on TV and i told him security will be taken him out LOL

are these fights any good? im to busy clowning cavs fans tonight

the Berto fight is a shutout Berto about to win a Unanimous decision.

Angulo fought a Dumb fight he aint go to the body til the 8 round. That's why he lost. Again he is the slowest dude ever but his hands are mad heavy
Kermmy fought wit a skillful jab
eek.gif
I was shocked! But then again he could only do that to slow %%@ Angulo.
Lara would beat both these dudes rite NOW.

Andre Berto has got so much skill its ridiculous.
I was impressed he fought a 12 rd fight where he didn't pull straight back
Da *%%* is up with him holdin soo much? He started that !!!# wit stevie forbes and he just can't let it go now
Berto gotta get a new corner badly. He needs to work the body more then he does. That !!!# is ridiculous
I got it dvrd I gotta watch the fight televised

OOOoOO this Young dude Jonny Gonzalez from PR Olyimpic team looked pretty Nice
He was 140 lbs
Watch out for him

Da *%%* is up with him holdin soo much? He started that !!!# wit stevie forbes and he just can't let it go now
Berto gotta get a new corner badly. He needs to work the body more then he does. That !!!# is ridiculous
That's what I was thinking. His trainer was talkin bout just hold him for a second so it don't look obvious
laugh.gif

What kind !%+$ is that
smh.gif

Dan Rafael: (11:45 PM ET ) Hey Freaks, I'll be back for Rafael After Dark in just a little bit when the Berto-Urango fight ends and we can chat abouttonight's fights or anything else. Be back in a little bit.

Dan Rafael: (12:06 AM ET ) Hey Freaks, I am back and the fights are in the books. What did you think? Let's get to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff CT: Hey Danimal, Where does Berto go from here?

Dan Rafael: (12:07 AM ET ) Really not sure. I think the obvious fight, unless someone like Mosley is going to fight him, is a rematch with Collazo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
giuseppe (philadelphia): I think of berto like hatton. A man without a weight class that really fits his body type. Do you agree?

Dan Rafael: (12:07 AM ET ) I don't agree. He's a welterweight and has been one his entire career. Is he a smallish welterweight, yes. But he is awelterweight.

Steve, Sac,Ca: Dano, was it me or did Urango look like he had bricks in his shoes?

Dan Rafael: (12:07 AM ET ) Shoes, not gloves, unfortunately for him.

Jim (Raleigh): Danimal, What do you think of Berto's holding? Is this something he does a lot in fights? I haven't seen him much before tonight, but itgot old and I don't know how much I want to see him again if that's what he does.

Dan Rafael: (12:08 AM ET ) The holding was a bit annoying late in the fight, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. He's not Ruiz. But I would like to seehim punch instead of hold because he has such fast hands.

Stephen(Tulsa): Thanks for the Rad. Do you think Berto will be avoided like PW and Clotty? Or will he have a better time getting top five guys into the ringwith him.

Dan Rafael: (12:09 AM ET ) I don't think he will be avoided like that. I think other fighters would view Berto as more beatable than Williams.

Mike (Fairfax, VA): Why won't Berto fight Judah...You said in your notebook that was the fight HBO wanted

Dan Rafael: (12:09 AM ET ) It is a fight they had been interested in. I wouldn't mind seeing it. Judah has another fight on July 18 first.

JJD (Seattle): Currently Mosley and Cotto have the WBA and WBO belts, but the IBF belt is vacant. Is there a scenario that Berto could fight for that vacanttitle? Having two belts would at least seem to do something for his marketability.

Dan Rafael: (12:10 AM ET ) None whatsoever. That vacant belt will be filled by the winner of a rematch of a draw between Hlatshwayo and Delvin Rodriguez.

Randy (NYC): Mosely-Williams could be the next leonard-herns in terms of styles and and physical advantages... I got $50 bucks to donate to that fighthappening

Alan (Plantation, FL): Dan, is it just me or does Juan Urango need a jab almost as much as he needs oxygen?

Dan Rafael: (12:10 AM ET ) He also needs a clue on how to cut off the ring.

Hector - Mass: Which Andre holds more Berto or Ward?

Dan Rafael: (12:11 AM ET ) Come on, neither was that bad.

Erik (Atlanta, Ga): What did you think of Cintron? Seemed like a redemption fight victory for him.

Dan Rafael: (12:11 AM ET ) He fought a good fight but he was backing up way to much and never stopped to plan his feet.

Kevin (San Diego): Hey Dan, do you think Mosley's willingness to meet Manny at a catchweight will increase his chances of getting that fight?

Dan Rafael: (12:12 AM ET ) I think it might make the Pacquiao side perhaps consider it a little more seriously. The lower they can make Mosley come the betterfor them. The remember how drained Oscar was making 147.

Chris (Middletown, CT): nice win for berto, but lets not forget that the big result of the evening was a solid professional performance by kermit. gotta admitthat i wasn't sure he had the heart, always good to see that kind of surprise. that loss doesn't hurt angulo too much though either does it?

Dan Rafael: (12:14 AM ET ) I don't think it hurts Angulo too much. He's a guy in his 16th fight who fought well in the second half of the fight and whocame forward and made the fight. And if you believe the talk that he was pretty sick the past few days, give him even more credit.

James Kirkland (Houston): Where do I get more information about that Gloves Not Guns program?

Stephen(Tulsa): I think that was easily Cintrons best victory so far but, I still see him as a project. He does not seem to be all there late in fights. Do youthink he will get over that or is it just the way he is.

Dan Rafael: (12:14 AM ET ) Kermit's biggest problem is his head.

Randy (NYC): Angulo just looked off tonight. He looked flat and drained but still put up a good fight. I don't see how ledderman gave Cintron the 12ththough, that made no sense

Dan Rafael: (12:15 AM ET ) He did look a little drained and you heard the announcers talk about how he looked at the weigh in.

Marki (Cleveland): Who is that black dude with the gray hair in the ring after all these fights?

Dan Rafael: (12:16 AM ET ) I have answered this before but one more time: His name is Sam Watson. He works with Al Haymon and is usually on site when Al'sfighter's fight. Berto is with Al Haymon.

Alan (Plantation, FL): Dan, would you rather see Mosley face Pacquaio or Cotto? I still think Mosley beat Cotto, and I think it is a better fight for him as hewouldn't have to go below 147.

Dan Rafael: (12:18 AM ET ) Well first off, I do not agree at all that Mosley beat Cotto. It was a close fight but Cotto definitely won it. That said, if I HADto pick I'd rather see Mosley fight Pacquiao before a rematch with Cotto. Usually, I like fresh fights before rematches unless the first fight demanded arematch or was soooo good. I wouldn't have a problem with a Cotto-Mosley rematch but I don't think its the kind of rematch that has to happen to settlesomething.

Hector - Mass: Dan, do you have any info on Sergio Martinez' next fight besides Cintron part deux?

Dan Rafael: (12:19 AM ET ) The mandatory is not due yet so he has time to take an optional of some time. Lou DiBella, his promoter, has received inquiries.Martinez may wind up with a fight in Europe perhaps. I'd like to see him fight Paul Williams.

Gilbert (SLC): Dano,116-112 Cinton?

Dan Rafael: (12:19 AM ET ) I had it a draw actually. 114-114, but I don't have any problem with the score. There were some close rounds early that couldhave gone either way.

Dan (San Diego): I was disappointed in Urangos performance. I was expecting him to lose, but would have liked to see more effort in the clinch (the only placehe had a chance).

Steve,Sac,Ca: Dano, this is the first time i've seen Jimmy Lennon Jr on HBO, where was Buffer? I was waiting for him to slip and say "It'sShowtime"

Dan Rafael: (12:20 AM ET ) Jimmy has done many, many HBO fights, just none too recently. I don't know for sure, but I would bet Buffer was in Finland andsupposed to work the Valuev-Chagaev bout that was canceled.

Alec (Nashville): Angulo should have gotten the W. That would have been sweet payback for that gift draw Cintron got against Martinez.

Jorge (East Los Angeles): Dan, Any word on who will take Alvarado's spot? Do you think they will match Paulie soft?

Dan Rafael: (12:21 AM ET ) Nothing even close to worked out. Alvarado just fell out. Can they have until Monday when they're back at work?

Tom E, Jersey City: One last completely and utterly vain plea for HBO to pick up the Calderon fight on the 13th. That's all.

Dan Rafael: (12:21 AM ET ) Ain't happening.

Mike (San Diego): Dan, Is Urango going to get stripped for taking this fight? Or is he still a trinket holder at 140?

Dan Rafael: (12:22 AM ET ) No, part of the reason he took this fight was because he was given an exception to challenge for Berto's title. He'll goback to 140 and defend his title there. Nothing unsual about that.

Ryan (Fairport, NY): After seeing the announcement of 24/7 with Mayweather and Marquez I am more pumped about that series than the fight because Mayweatherlooks to be a lot bigger than Marquez.

Steve,Sac,Ca: Dano, what odds do you give for a purposed Escobedo/Katsidas fight?

Dan Rafael: (12:22 AM ET ) I think it has a very good chance of being made for Aug. 22. It's an excellent fight.

Tom (Danbury,CT): Does this mean Chagaev retains his "Champion in Recess"? I hate the WBA

Dan Rafael: (12:23 AM ET ) The WBA is supposed to make a decision within seven days. I think they will take that title away from him. At least I hope they do.

Jason (Gainesville, VA): Danimal, do you think Kermit should stay at 154 or drop back down to 147?

Dan Rafael: (12:23 AM ET ) He should fight wherever he can get the most money.

JNA (Bittersville): Urango should change his name to U Rang? He's slower than Lurch... but not quite as slow as Pelts Valuev.

Dan Rafael: (12:24 AM ET ) U Rang. Hilarious.

Tom (NJ): I was a little disappointed Berto couldnt KO Urango. Where would you rate his performance?

Dan Rafael: (12:24 AM ET ) I didnt expect him to stop Urango. I can't even remember Urango ever being knocked down.

Darris Detroit: Dan Do you think berto-cintron would be a good fight

Dan Rafael: (12:25 AM ET ) Sure.

bill (pgh): DTM- anything to the talk of Juan Diaz coming off the Aug 22 date to move to the Money-JMM undercard?

Dan Rafael: (12:25 AM ET ) Both are under discussion, but nothing is set in stone.

Braindamaged2too...(Asylum): Dan, I would love to see Berto in against Sugar Shane........I'd go with Shane by ko. That would definately either annoint orexpose Berto!

Adam (San Diego): Dan, What about Peterson taking Alvarado's spot? He is with Top Rank, and I think it would be a good fight.

Dan Rafael: (12:26 AM ET ) I think it's possible he could wind up on the card but not to fight Paulie. Peterson is coming off knee surgery and has resumedtraining but Top Rank would have to see if he's ready to get in the ring for a fight first. But not a bad idea.

Andres (Puerto Rico): dan i know quintana has withdrew of his last 2 fight but based on today perfomance do you think any network will be interested in aquintana vs cintron fight.

Dan Rafael: (12:26 AM ET ) I doubt it.

Jim (Merced, CA): Dan, any word on what was wrong with Perro? No way he wasn't either sick or weight-drained.

Dan Rafael: (12:27 AM ET ) I have heard that he was ill with a fever in the past oouple of days.

Ruslan Chagaev(Finland): It is with my deepest regret that I inform you all that im a waste of time/skin. Thankfully, none of you gave a crap about me in thefirst place so it shouldnt be too hard to get over.

Kieran (Alexandria, VA): Any US TV for Khan v. Kotelnik?

Dan Rafael: (12:27 AM ET ) No.

Matt (San Diego): Dan, Please explain to me the situation with Chagaev and Valuev. There are so many rumors out there(hepatitis etc). All I know is the fightgot canceled. Please fill me in?

Dan Rafael: (12:28 AM ET ) Chagaev had issues with his bloodwork, and it's not the first time. It has been widely reported he suffers from Hep B.That's what happened this time.

Dan (Brooklyn, NY): On a scale of 1-10, how excited are you for Cotto-Clottey?

Dan Rafael: (12:29 AM ET ) solid 8.

Matt (Washington, DC): Any updates, tea leaves, or conjectures on Williams-Dzindziruk or another fight for the Punisher?

Dan Rafael: (12:29 AM ET ) Nothing at the moment.

Mark (Brooksville, Fla.): Dan, with all things considered who got your "best effort" award out of tonight's fights?

Dan Rafael: (12:29 AM ET ) Angulo.

Rick (SpringTown Ca): Dan- I was thinking about going to the June 12 card in San Jose.... I dont much about the Ghost's opponent? What can you tell meabout him? Will it just be a quick blowout?

Dan Rafael: (12:30 AM ET ) Johnnie Edwards is the opponent. Not a great fighter, but certainly not a bum. It's an ESPN2 fight so you know they can'tafford a big-time opponent. But it should be fun and a good crowd in Guerrero's hometown.

SCOTT aUSTIN: What is going on with Kirkland?

Dan Rafael: (12:30 AM ET ) He's in the can.

Dan Rafael: (12:31 AM ET ) And by can I mean jail, not the men's room.

Hector - Mass: D$, is there any room on the milk carton for Guillermo Jones?

Dan Rafael: (12:32 AM ET ) I'm running out of space but I think we can squeeze him in. That said, he's supposed to be fighting later this summer inEurope.

Mike (Hillsboro, OR): Dan, Maidana of Ortiz vs Maidana a live dog or an opponent?

Dan Rafael: (12:32 AM ET ) Live as live can be.

Tony(Tampa): Dan, Berto reminds me of a poor man's Meldrick Taylor. Fast hands like Meldrick but alot easier to hit and Taylor was just a smoother fighter.Berto seems a bit erratic in the ring.

Tom (NJ): Dan, if Marquez beats Mayweather, is he #1 P4P?

Dan Rafael: (12:32 AM ET ) Talk to me if it happens.

Chris(Vancouver): D$, thanks for the RAD. What do you know about Eddie Chambers opponent? Cant remember the name.I've heard of him but havent seen him. Ishe any good?

Dan Rafael: (12:33 AM ET ) His name is Alexander Dimitreno. He's undefeated and really, really, big, but not that big of a hitter. I have seen several ofhis fights and he is a textbook European boxer. Eddie is going to have a hard time getting inside on his long arms.

Emmanuel (Puerto Rico): An Urango fight might be a good farewell bout for Hatton. What do you think?

Dan Rafael: (12:34 AM ET ) Considering Hatton already beat him easily in a fight a few years ago and the fight sucked, I think your idea is worse than thatfight.

Darris detroit: angulo did show a lot of effort it will be good to see how he comes back

Chief M......EYA Clw Florida: Mr. R., I know this may be a bit off topic but....what differentiates one cutman from another? Don't they basically all haveto use the same solutions etc.? And is there a cutman working today who stands out?

Dan Rafael: (12:36 AM ET ) It's like asking what is the difference between doctors. They use the same scalpel right? But some are better than others andhave different experience. There are several good cutmen. A couple that spring to mind are Danny Milano (who worked on tonight's show), Miguel Diaz andStitch Duran.

Chris (NY): Dan, this may seem like a weird question but I was always wondering what fighters would do if they had acne? The punches would prob hurt a lotmore!

Dan Rafael: (12:37 AM ET ) Dude you need to get a life.

Dan Rafael: (12:37 AM ET ) And it was a very weird question.

Matt (Washington, DC): I realize he fought in April, but Povetkin = milk cartoon to me. I know it's smart business but just waiting for Klitschko isfrustrating when I'm sitting here trying to find the savior of the heavyweight division.

Dan Rafael: (12:37 AM ET ) Not at all. He fought in April and is the mandatory for Wladimir in the fall.

brian (scottsdale, az): is korobov on the televised portion of the June 27th PPV?

Dan Rafael: (12:38 AM ET ) No, but maybe Top Rank will show highlights.

The Freaks: Chris you need to find a woman, and soon!!

Mark (ATL): Did Urango really "slip" in the 3rd round?..looked like a punch to me.

Dan Rafael: (12:38 AM ET ) It was definitely a slip. Well after the punch, he got tangled up on Berto's foot. I watched the replay. Go check it out.

Erik (Atlanta, Ga.): Seriously Chris? That's your first question of the night???

Randy (NYC): Chris from NY might need to sit this chat out... maybe seek therapy

JNA (Bittersville): Why hasn't Moneyless Mayweather called Yuri Arbachakov out of retirement? He was an even better counterpuncher than JM Marquez, andsince he was a flyweight, he'd be a perfect opponent for Moneyless.

slam(mia): CHris = disturbed individual

Jason (Gainesville, VA): Angulo vs. The Love Child????

Dan Rafael: (12:39 AM ET ) Bring it on.

Justin (Las Vegas, NV): Off topic question Dan, has pbf ever been even visibly buzzed in a fight?

Dan Rafael: (12:39 AM ET ) Yes, he was definitely buzzed against DeMarcus Corley.

Acne: We also think Chris needs help.

Frankie (FL): Don't forget about cutman Rafael Garcia. He can even work the corner when he has to.

Dan Rafael: (12:39 AM ET ) He's another good one.

Giovanni (Puerto Rico): Dan, what are you thoughts on Cotto's new trainer??

Dan Rafael: (12:40 AM ET ) I have none because I don't really know him.

Emmanuel (Puerto Rico): Cant stop laughing at the acne question.

Rick (SpringTown Ca): Dan- To the point you made yesterday about boxers being some of the most approchable athlete's...went to the Ward-Miranda weigh in afew weeks ago and both fighters stayed around gave pics, autographs etc...awesome expirence! The fighters were all great. Then today at my work Andre Wardwalks in looking for some nails...but takes the time to say hello, shake hands and talk with anyone who recognized him... I know a few more people who will nowbe watching his fights, he made some new fans today....classy guy.

Randy (NYC): What kind of late night RAD beverage do you have going on?

Dan Rafael: (12:41 AM ET ) Cold, cold water.

Dan Rafael: (12:41 AM ET ) OK, here's one of my all-time favorite HBO segments. Absolutely awesome. Must watch for all Freaks.

Dan Rafael: (12:41 AM ET ) http://www.youtube.com/wa...5l6k_nX4&feature=related

Oxy Pads: We recommend that fighters use our product before their fights so Chris from NYC can refrain from asking such ridiculous questions.

Banishment : That dude Chris is WAAAAAAY to weird for even me to chew on!

Mike (Visalia, CA): Seeing the HBO schedule for next month got me pumped, three weeks in a row of fights and the start of a new 24/7.

Scott Austin: Is Kirkland done in your opinion?

Dan Rafael: (12:43 AM ET ) Depends how long in the can he is sentenced to.

Tom E, Jersey City: The idea of a Bradley-Campbell fight is very appealing. I'm surprised the Freaks aren't more pumped about this. How close?

Dan Rafael: (12:44 AM ET ) It's all but a done deal from what I am told. I think it's an excellent fight.

Justin (Las Vegas, NV): You know who else is really cool is winky i ran into him in an albertson's a couple of years back before the hopkins fight. He wasby himself and was a really nice guy, a huge basketball fan...who knew?

Alan (Plantation, FL): Dan, why didn't Cotto go with Miguel Diaz who has worked in his corner in the past?

Dan Rafael: (12:44 AM ET ) Issue over money.

Matt (Washington, DC): I know the plan for Deontay Wilder is to keep him busy, be patient, and let him become more polished, but have you heard anything abouthis nutrition/diet/strength program?

Dan Rafael: (12:46 AM ET ) Nothing specific but they're working. And fight by fight he has been a little heavier each time and I know when he turned prothey hoped to mold him into a bout a 240-pounder.

James (Philly): Cotto can KO Clottey?

Dan Rafael: (12:46 AM ET ) It would be impressive if he did because I've seen a lot of Clottey fights and never seen him even remotely hurt.

Alan (Plantation, FL): Dan, whatever happened to O' Neil Bell?

Dan Rafael: (12:47 AM ET ) I think he sells hatchets at Home Depot.

Chris (Middletown, CT): thanks for the arturo fix D$. that hbo clip is amazing

Dan Rafael: (12:47 AM ET ) Great HBO clip.

Matt (Washington, DC): Great call by Tom E. I was stoked when I read that in your story. I like Campbell in that fight but am really excited to seeBradley's heart and desire tested - would be a big, big factor if he won.

Ryan (Fairport, NY): Great clip from youtube Dan! When the doctor asked Arturo Gatti how many fingers he was holding up that was priceless.

travis, boise: dan, how about a prizefighter tourney on espn like they have in the UK

Dan Rafael: (12:49 AM ET ) Would be pretty cool.

Joe: San Francisco, CA: Did Chagaev actually pull out of the fight? Or did the Finnish commission not allow him to fight?

Dan Rafael: (12:49 AM ET ) Finnish commission wouldn't let him fight because there were issues with his bloodwork.

bill (pgh) : it's been a long time since HBO did a "Night of the Young Heavyweights" any chance we could see one by the end of the year?

Dan Rafael: (12:50 AM ET ) No. What is the point? Are there enough young heavyweights you want to see? I can barely think of one or two much less four or sixto make a show out of.

Mike (Visalia, CA): Great clip Dan, I could listen to that music all night long!

Dan Rafael: (12:51 AM ET ) I am playing it over and over.

Dan Rafael: (12:51 AM ET ) Here's another awesome clip that is must watch for all Freaks.

Dan Rafael: (12:51 AM ET )

John (NYC): Dan, John Ruiz is American and a heavyweight, why don't the boxing writers rally behind him ever? It seems like no one has any love for Ruiz.

Dan Rafael: (12:51 AM ET ) Is Banishment hungry for a late-night snack?

JNA (Bittersville): Finnish Commission: "Chagaev, you're Finnished!"

Emmanuel (Puerto Rico): Danno, I can't find your latest notebook. I really hate the new layout. They should give you your own corner at Page 2 or somethinglike that.

Dan Rafael: (12:52 AM ET ) It's the second item in the carousel. You can also look in my archive and it's right near the top. You're not too smartare you?

C.M. (aka. CMFLOW1986): DAN, THAT "BEST OF 'BOXING AFTER DARK' FEATURE' ON YOUTUBE IS MY VIDEO! ALL THOSE HBO ARCHIVES POSTS ARE MINE! SO GLADYOU FOUND THEM! ENJOY THEM ALL!!!!

Dan Rafael: (12:54 AM ET ) Nice job! Post more.

Joel Julio ( Colombia): Dad, what should I get you for Father's Day?

Dan Rafael: (12:54 AM ET ) Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the Love Child.

James (NY): Dan I thought that acne question was funny, but it got me thinking too! What would happen if Cotto gets a huge zit on his forehead day before theClottey fight?

Tomas(Tx): Any news on Steven Luevano?

Dan Rafael: (12:55 AM ET ) Top Rank would like to reschedule the fight with Concepcion on its Aug. 22 ppv card.

Andrew (Austin, Tx): RAD Dan, What happened to Panchito Bojado?

Dan Rafael: (12:56 AM ET ) He's apparently retired.

Paul (Portland, OR): Why the hell did HBO change its WCB theme!?!?

Dan Rafael: (12:57 AM ET ) No idea. They messed with perfection and I am still pissed off about it.

Vic (Knoxville, Tn): Who is Zab Judah fighting next month?

Dan Rafael: (12:58 AM ET ) Matthew Hatton.

Tyson (Vancouver): Mr. Dan...it seems to me that Angulo is just too slow to compete with the elite. All due respect to Cintron's win, but he seems like agatekeeper. What do you think?

Dan Rafael: (12:59 AM ET ) Kermit is a solid contender. I don't see him as an elite fighter or top champion but he's good enough to beat some guys.

Mike (New York): Dan I find it hard to believe that HBO couldnt find a better opponent for Berto. He fights in the deepest division in boxing yet he fights aguy in a weight class below him who is a limited at best.

Dan Rafael: (12:59 AM ET ) Urango was perfectly legit and solid opponent. Give me some guys who you would have made him with?

Charles - Orlando, FL: Dan, I've always ranked the Gatti-Rodriguez fight as one of the greatest I've ever seen, along with Hearns-Leonard, the firstAli-Frazier, the fourth Limon-Chacon and the third Barrera-Morales. Am I overrating it??

Dan Rafael: (1:00 AM ET ) No, it is spectacular.

Domingo (Puerto Rico): Dan, in your opinion, is Juanma Lopez going to win next fight?

Dan Rafael: (1:01 AM ET ) I believe he will beat Lontchi.

Metty (T.O.): I know this loss hasn't ruined or exposed Angulo in any way, but damn, really has taken the shine off him as a rising star, wouldn't yousay?

Dan Rafael: (1:01 AM ET ) Fair point. Some of the aura is gone. But I still want to see him again.

Dan (San Diego): The notebook is a pain in the @#@ to find without going to the archive. The carousel shows pictures, but not of the wors underneath saynotebook.

Dan Rafael: (1:02 AM ET ) Click on the picture and it will show up in the main spot.

Andy (Vegas): So are Rafael Marquez and Israel Vasquez both going to campaign at featherweight now?

Dan Rafael: (1:02 AM ET ) Yes.

culiacan sinaloa mexico: do you think that berto is ready for someone like Shane Mosley?

Dan Rafael: (1:03 AM ET ) As ready as he will ever be. He's 25, he's made three title defenses, he was an Olympian and he had more than 200 amateurfights. He is what he is.

Paul (Pittsburgh, PA): Dan why does Marco Antonio Barrera always have "Tapia" on his trunks?

Dan Rafael: (1:03 AM ET ) It's a tribute to his mother. Her maiden name is Tapia.

Don (Buffalo): Dan - when will the Dawson / Johnson fight be scheduled? August on HBO?

Dan Rafael: (1:03 AM ET ) Not in August for sure. Probably November.

Mark (CT): Dan, Why didnt Angulo talk to HBO afterwards? I hate when losing fighters run into the locker room

Dan Rafael: (1:04 AM ET ) He left the ring.

Frank (Chicago, IL): I like Chad Dawson because he's not someone who hides behind his belts. He vacated to fight Tarver. Now he's vacating to give GlenJohnson a rematch.

Dan Rafael: (1:04 AM ET ) You have to respect that. That said, he didn't really have a choice if he wanted to make way more money.

Tony(Tampa): Dan, Just watched the HBO youtube clip. Man, I forgot how badly Vince Cool Phillips absolutely obliterated an unbeaten Kostya Tszyu.

Dan Rafael: (1:05 AM ET ) That was a BAD classic.

Tomas(Tx): How long has Evangelista Cotto been training Cintron and does Cotto have any other name fighters hes training?

Dan Rafael: (1:06 AM ET ) He doesn't train Cintron. Cintron is trained by Ronnie Shields. Evangelista trains Urango for the past few fights.

Steve (IL): Dan, Good blog today about Mosley. I am a big fan of his and dont know if its the right decision to drop down in weight. What fight is better forhim, Mayweather or Pacquaio?

Dan Rafael: (1:07 AM ET ) Both are big money for Shane and he would take either.

Travis, Boise: How about Arreola on the Mayweather undercard

Dan Rafael: (1:07 AM ET ) Not happening.

Zach MPLS: What is with the IBF's obbsession with South African fighters? If they want all their champions to be from SA why not just become a nationaltitle, then there'd be one less belt too.

Dan Rafael: (1:08 AM ET ) Good question. I have mocked it in a blog. It's ridiculous.

Nick (Cincinnati): Seemed like HBO was banking on a big Angulo performance tonight. A lot of the hardcores loved him. What next for him?

Dan Rafael: (1:09 AM ET ) How would I know what is next for him an hour after the fight when he just lost? I don't think anyone is thinking about his nextfight just yet.

Tony (Miami, FL): Isn't it the least bit hypocritical of Mosley to trash Mayweather for fighting Marquez when he's practically begging to fightPacquiao?

Dan Rafael: (1:09 AM ET ) But Shane has never ducked anyone.

Carlos - Caguas, PR: Any differences whatsoever between David Tua and Chris Arreola?

Dan Rafael: (1:11 AM ET ) Big difference. Tua knocked out a ton of top contenders and steamrolled through many top guys -- Maskaev, Izon, Rahman, Moorer,Oquendo, Nicholson, Darroll Wilson, Ruiz. He beat a ton of top heavyweights. Arreola hasn't beaten any legitimate top contenders.

JOSH ORLANDO FL: DAN WHAT IF GAMBOA FOUGHT BERTO WHO WOULD WIN??

Dan Rafael: (1:13 AM ET ) Considering they are about 20 pounds apart, Berto. Duh.

Braindamaged2too...(Asylum): Mr. Dan, given it's a late Saturday/early Sunday chat is it me or are things pretty civil tonight?

Dan Rafael: (1:13 AM ET ) The night is young.

Rigo, FL: Do you think Pacman stands a chance against Mosley? I think Shane is too strong/fast and has an excellent chin.

Dan Rafael: (1:14 AM ET ) I think if Mosley has to go down into the lower 140s it will help Pacquiao if that fight ever happens.

Rejean: Toronto Canada: Hey Dan, what's up with Demetrius Andrade these days?

Dan Rafael: (1:14 AM ET ) He's got a fight scheduled on an upcoming ESPN2 undercard.

rob (jersey): Too soon to start talking about VIC/King Kong? Personally that is my FOY - Over/under rounds in that fight. I can't imagine it going past 5.

Dan Rafael: (1:15 AM ET ) I think it's going to be a fantastic fight.

slam(mia): lets not be foolish. There is NO WAY IN HELL pacman is fighting mosley with mayweather back. That would be bad business on his part.

Dan Rafael: (1:16 AM ET ) Not necessarily. If he fights Mayweather and has to give him at least 50 percent it might, if you crunch the numbers, work out betterfor him if he fought Mosley and perhaps got 60 percent. You see what I mean?

Mike (Visalia, CA): Dan, did Yusaf Mack win tonight?

Dan Rafael: (1:17 AM ET ) Yes, he scored a fourth-round knockout.

JNA (Bittersville): Dan, can you remember another instance where an entire fight card was scrapped because one of the main event guys dropped out due toillness? I know the promoters couldn't get Brewster to step in against Pelts Valuev, but scrapping the whole card seemed extreme...

Dan Rafael: (1:19 AM ET ) Sure, it's happened. Holyfield-Akinwande, for example. As far as Finland is concerned -- some of the undercard fights did end uptaking place.

Alex (Ohio): Will Chavez Jr. fight for a title this year?

Dan Rafael: (1:20 AM ET ) No.

Greg(Los Angeles): Any idea on when and where Alexander-Witter will take place or will big Don let us know a week before the fight?

Dan Rafael: (1:20 AM ET ) A week? Why so much notice?

Mark (Brooksville, Fla.): Dan, for a perspective, do you know approximately what Shane's walking-around weight is between fights?

Dan Rafael: (1:21 AM ET ) Shane is probably about 160ish. He keeps in shape between fights.

Jorge (East Los Angeles): Dan, great work on your Sugar Shane blog. I Just don't think Pacquiao's team will agree to fight Shane, and I'm guessingFloyd won't fight him either. So my question is, where would Shane go from there? Berto, Williams?

Dan Rafael: (1:22 AM ET ) I really don't know what is going to happen with Pacquiao's next fight. But if Shane wants to fight this year, he may have totake one of those guys you mentioned.

DanTheBoxingFan (NJ): Illness aside, Dan wouldn't you say Angulo's lack of speed got exposed tonight?

Dan Rafael: (1:22 AM ET ) No, because anyone who ever saw him before tonight already knew he was slow.

Ryan SI NY: Why did Mosley have so much problems with Forrest?

Dan Rafael: (1:23 AM ET ) Some guys have a guy's number. Vernon had Shane's. He beat Shane in the amteurs and cost him a spot on the 1992 Olympic team.And he beat him twice in the pros. I was at both of their pro fights and Vernon was just the better guy on both nights.

Steve,Sac,Ca: Dano, please don't tell me that the Worst Boxing Association isn't going to make us see another Valuev/Ruiz fight again

Dan Rafael: (1:25 AM ET ) I wish I could.

slam(mia): Vernons jab gave mosley fits.....

Dan Rafael: (1:26 AM ET ) Yes it did. The head butts also did.

Marcus (Jamacia Queens, NYC): Is there any promoter who is just a pain in the @#@ for you to work with?

Dan Rafael: (1:26 AM ET ) Yes.

Aaron (Phoenix): The Ring Magazine is the new WBA after they gave Calderon the boot.

Tom (Danbury,CT): Does this bring us to Cintron vs. Martinez 2?

Dan Rafael: (1:27 AM ET ) It's possible since Cintron is now his mandatory. That said, I have zero interest in seeing that fight again.

Mike (New York): Vernon knocked Mosley on his A** which had nothing to do with headbutts. Forrest was a beast before the injuries.

Dan Rafael: (1:28 AM ET ) Take a look about 30 seconds before Mosley went down. You'll notice a massive head butt.

Nick (NYC): Where do you rank berto in terms of speed compared to pacquaio, mosley, pbf?

Dan Rafael: (1:29 AM ET ) Berto does have crazy speed. I think he's faster than all of them actually at this point.

Dan Rafael: (1:29 AM ET ) But he doesn't use it as well as those guys.

Pat (NY): I think it's pretty clear now to Gary Shaw that he's going to have to do some real good match making for Angulo to grab a belt.

Ryan (Chicago,IL): What about Berto vs the loser of Clottey vs Cotto?

Dan Rafael: (1:30 AM ET ) Depends on the way they lose.

Kevin (San Diego): With the cancellation/postponement of Pavlik-Mora, is it possible that they could find another matchup for Kelly. That just feels like agarbage fight to me. Completely unnecessary.

Dan Rafael: (1:30 AM ET ) The plan right now is that Pavlik-Mora will be rescheduled in September.

Jeff (Redondo Beach, CA): I love the Punch Zone!

Dan Rafael: (1:32 AM ET ) It's a pretty good addition to HBO's graphics.

Mark (ATL): I thought Jimmy Lennon Jr. was exclusively on Showtime and yet he shows up on HBO BAD. How are these announcer's assigned?

Dan Rafael: (1:33 AM ET ) On HBO, the promoter hires the announcer, who must be approved by HBO.

Mark (Conneticuit): So why exactly does Chad Dawson fight in Las Vegas? Does he have a fan base in the desert that I don't know about?

Dan Rafael: (1:34 AM ET ) I have no idea. He has zero fan base there. He should be built in Connecticut where he is from.

Mikey (Levittown, NY): What is Aaron talking about relative to Calderon getting the boot from Ring Mag?

Dan Rafael: (1:34 AM ET ) Ring dropped Calderon from the p4p list for no apparent reason. He's fighting in two weeks.

Mike (Fairfax, VA): Safe to say we won't be seeing Urango on HBO for awhile?

Dan Rafael: (1:36 AM ET ) Safe to say.

giuseppe (philly): fair enough. does this win show you anything that would lead you to pick berto over mosley, williams, cotto, mayweather, or clottey?

Dan Rafael: (1:38 AM ET ) I would probably Berto the underdog in every one of those fights.

neil - san diego: isn't is obvious? caballero is much more qualified than calderon.

Dan Rafael: (1:39 AM ET ) Caballero in the top 10 p4p is a joke.

Tom E, Jersey City: The Ring rankings are based on a compilation of rankings from a bunch of individuals/writers, correct? So it's not really like"The Ring" decided to drop him as much as it is that a bunch of voters ranked Calderon lower. Still lame, but some perspective is in order.

Dan Rafael: (1:42 AM ET ) The rankings are decided on by magazine employees. The panel gives its opinion but the top editors of the mag have the say, not thepanel.

Matt (naperville, IL): Joe Greene fought tonight. Did he win?

Dan Rafael: (1:42 AM ET ) He didn't fight. His opponent fell out the other day and the fight was canceled.

Chris (CA): What ever came about with the Miranda "substance"?

Dan Rafael: (1:43 AM ET ) I have heard nothing.

Ned (hartford, CT): D$, classy move by berto starting his interview with thoughts to tyson. we know that you already let him know your thoughts are with him,but since there's no way that you're giving us his email address send mike another one to let him know that the thousands in attendance and themillions watching at home are feeling for him and his family too.

jax (jersey): dan, please be fair. That was a boring main event fight, was it not?

Dan Rafael: (1:45 AM ET ) It was not the best fight I've ever seen.

Jamerson (White Plains, NY): Big Guy....what do you think of this little mini-theory I have been thinking about....Margarito loaded those gloves after thatClottey fight in which he couldn't hurt him at all (& could have lost had it not been for the injury)...?

Dan Rafael: (1:45 AM ET ) Possible.

Zach MPLS: Why did Abner Mares and Nacho Baristein split?

Dan Rafael: (1:46 AM ET ) Nacho dropped him because Mares signed with manager Frank Espinoza without telling Nacho and Nacho was upset by it. Low class move ifyou ask me. Why should the trainer have any say on who the manager is?

Sartre: How likely is an Andre Ward / Carl Froch match sometime this year? What do you think of this fight?

Dan Rafael: (1:46 AM ET ) No chance this year, but could happen in the first part of next year. Obviously, it's an interesting fight.

Paul (Austin, TX): Dan, True Freak? I just turned down a booty call to stay in the chat. Now that I think about it, a dumb freak is more like it.

Dan Rafael: (1:47 AM ET ) You said it not me.

Matt (naperville, IL): The ring dropped Calderon because of his inactivity and lack of quality opposition compared to other pound for pound fighters.

Dan Rafael: (1:48 AM ET ) Yeah and Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez (who has lost two fights in a row) both remained in the top 10 after more than a year off.Calderon has been out of action for less than a year.

Pat (Chicago): Did Berto gain anything from this fight? I mean it is hard to take anything away from a shutout, but this fight left me with a "Meh"feeling.

Dan Rafael: (1:48 AM ET ) He gained a fat paycheck.

Ryan (Fairport, NY): DTM! In your blog it seems like Shane Mosley is a man without fight. I think an intriguing possibility for him could be a fight againstPaul Williams? I think that would be an interesting fight to watch.

Dan Rafael: (1:49 AM ET ) I do too. But from Shane's point of view, it's not even close to his biggest fight. Not nearly big enough money for big risk.

JJD (Seattle): I wish Cintron-Angulo would have been 15 rounds. I'm GLAD Berto-Urango was NOT 15 rounds.

JNA (Bittersville): I read the Notebook blurb about Enzo Macaroni's next fight. He's a nice guy, but so chinny! Can a fighter ever do anything toimprove his chin? Besides "avoid getting hit there," that is?

Dan Rafael: (1:51 AM ET ) I think a bad chin is for life.

Dan, San Deigo: DAN YOUR A JOKE RANKING TOMATO CAN'S LIKE SERGIO MORA.

Dan Rafael: (1:51 AM ET ) You're a joke too. Lay off the drugs.

Nick (Cincinnati): Someone mentioned Chavez Jr. earlier. His popularity within the Mexican population is massive. He will get a title shot this year based onthat alone.

Dan Rafael: (1:52 AM ET ) No he won't.

Max Power: To answer an earlier question from you: Delvin Rodriguez would have been much better to match with Berto tonight. He is a real WW and is usually inexciting fights.

Dan Rafael: (1:52 AM ET ) I would have had no problem with Delvin in the fight. His name was brought up. HBO wouldn't accept him.

Jonny (Fallbrook,CA): We all know Mex. vs P.R. always sells, so is there a possibility we will see Israel Vasquez vs Juama Lopez any time soon?

Dan Rafael: (1:54 AM ET ) You never know, but I don't see it. JML is at 122 and is still early in his title reign. Vazauez is moving up to 126 and islooking for big money. A Lopez fight at this point wouldn't give him the kind of payday he wants.

Joe (Walnut Creek, CA): Bertos style tonight reminds me a lot of Mayweather, wouldnt you agree?

Dan Rafael: (1:55 AM ET ) There are certainly similarities because of their speed and reflexes.

Gabriel, Los Angeles: Do you think Oscar will ever come back again?

Dan Rafael: (1:56 AM ET ) I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he fought again.

Dan Rafael: (1:56 AM ET ) OK, Freaks, thanks for the late-night chat. Hope you enjoyed it and tonight's fights. If you can't get enough, I posted a newblog today as well. Talk to you on Friday back at our regular time. Peace.

Top Rank's Bob Arum, who promotes pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao, is taking a hard line with Floyd Mayweather Jr's mindset of receiving more money in a proposed fight with the Filipino star. Mayweather recently said that he would request at least a 60-40 monetary split for a fight with Pacquiao.

Forget 60-40. According to Arum, it would be a "cold day in hell" before he would even think about giving Floyd an even 50-50 split. He says any possible opponent should be happy to get 30, 32 or 35 percent of the money.

"You can tell Floyd Mayweather that Bob Arum said he's delusional. Floyd is not the attraction. Manny is the attraction. Floyd's got no idea what he's talking about. Even a 50/50 split with Floyd Mayweather is nonsense," Arum told the Philippine Star.

Arum will not reveal the sought after opponent for Pacquiao's return on October 17. He said the name will be dropped after Miguel Cotto defense of his title against Joshua Clottey on June 13.

"But I'm not gonna come up with a name until after June 13," Arum said. "Then he'll be back in Los Angeles and I will meet him and Freddie (Roach) there. We will discuss all the options, and get everybody's input. There's no rush. There's Cotto, [Shane] Mosley and [Edwin] Valero. We're not including Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. because of the weight (he wants to fight Pacquiao at 150 lb) and he's fighting soon."

roll.gif
roll.gif

Are you serious Bob Arum?
smh.gif

Happy with 35%?

Wow..

As for last nights fights, I was pulling for Angulo, didn't happen. But Cintron deserved the fight through and through.

Berto/Urango was an exhibition, but if Berto really wanted to show he deserved a big fight, he needed to stop all the damn holding. The ref should have taken apoint away a long time ago, or get more involved in the fight and break them up.

Can't wait for John/Rocky II, I thought John won the first fight, but just want a good one next fight.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

As for last nights fights, I was pulling for Angulo, didn't happen. But Cintron deserved the fight through and through.
I don't know how Dan Rafael had it a draw.

yea i dont see how was even close to a draw..Cintron clearly fought the better fight

Nah man, got offered a ticket through my connection but going to France on Friday for a vacation so I aint going to be around. Flying Air France.....
nerd.gif

How was the scene this past Saturday?

It was good.
Remember Yusef Mack from FNF
laugh.gif

We kept yellin Mack Bit_h like Beanie Sigel

Had %!%%$* rollin.

I didn't know Urango had a big %+% fan base w t f

Dudes was all rootin for him.

I'm def goin to Darchynian in July

I like that spot for fights cus there's no bad seats.
Next time ill pay for upper section n spend less then 160

Back
Top Bottom