09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

What about Alfonso Gomez vs Andre Berto??

All I know is that if Andre doesn't start making progess he'll be on FNF in no time

smh.gif

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

All I know is that if Andre doesn't start making progess he'll be on FNF in no time
Agreed. He hasn't impressed me in a long time.

If Luis Collazo...

I'm asking EVERYONE for bread.. Like yo.. you gimme bread... you gimme bread all yall gimme bread & let me get a big fight again..

indifferent.gif

Berto aint got no shot against the big boys. I dont care how big of a fan you are of him, he gets in the ring against anyone of those top contenders itscurtains for him. Would love to see Mosley put the brakes on this overrated chumps career.

fight was real close, but Collazo won the fight IMO. Berto needs more work before his handlers think he's ready for top marquee names.

laugh.gif

Shannon well, he gotta fight them. He there's nowhere else to turn.

Berto is def. Getting KO'd if he fights cotto, mosely, tonio, Punisher and clottey

Gunna, I was a tad drunk when posting that so I was a little fired up after watching the fight. He isnt overrated but he certainly doesnt appear ready to takeon any of those big boys in the division.

116-111 was ridiculous I agree, but I really do feel Berto won. He landed way more punches, he had a higher percentage of punches landed, he landed more powershots, the point deduction was ridiculous, and he dominated the last 2 rounds of the fight. Sure it was close, but I was saying the ENTIRE fight how wrong theLederman card was.

He won't be ready neither. But he has to fight them. Its like he has no gameplan. And he wasn't in good condition.

What made him decide to stand in and wipe out his foot speed and hand speed advantage.

Not comparing him to sugar ray leonard but Berto fought a dumb fight similar to Ray fightin Duran the 1st ttime.
I think Berto is in desperate need of a corner change. But I think its too late, he gonna fight how he fights and that's with that pawing jab and not doinany body work. He really needs to study miquel cottos style because they have same height/build but berto is def faster n has more snap on his punches.

like rounds 6-8 berto should have knocked collazo out, he was tired n hurt from the body punches. But berto was out of gas. *shrugs luis was standing therewith his arms down not throwin. Collazo was looking for a way out that fight.

What did u think of collazo throwing those calzaghe like flurries?
Compubox had Berto wwith higher punch connects ,a nd. Landing more power shots

Berto definitely looks like a raw fighter and he does need to up his conditioning. I thought there were a few times in this fight when he had a good chance toKO Collazo, but after hurting him, he'd back back off. I think what everyone is saying about him against the top fighters is true. Berto is definitely nota polished enough fighter to stand toe to toe for 12 rounds with those guys, but if he can get in there quick he might have a punchers chance early.

The thing with Berto is he fights very square and he is short but has great speed but he has to use his jab to establish a rhythm . Maybe the way he startedoff rds won him the fight but he wasnt closing the rds off well at all Collazo was eating him up inside . I dont know who his trainer is but Andre might haveto call Mr. Roach , Floyd sr just dont Call Buddy or his career is going down lol

in other news, cruiserweight prospect alexander alexeev just lost his first fight last night. that sucks, the guy looked to have all the goods. i haven'tbeen able to see the fight yet, so if anyone has any idea how the bout went down, i'm listening.

Originally Posted by mextra45

The thing with Berto is he fights very square and he is short but has great speed but he has to use his jab to establish a rhythm . Maybe the way he started off rds won him the fight but he wasnt closing the rds off well at all Collazo was eating him up inside . I dont know who his trainer is but Andre might have to call Mr. Roach , Floyd sr just dont Call Buddy or his career is going down lol

i personally think berto is just too thick-set of a guy to keep his feet moving for a full 12 rounds. if he fought that way, he'd have to settle forthrowing more shoe shines and pot shots per fight as opposed to his usual display of razzle-dazzle power punch combos...a choice i doubt he'd be willing tomake. the guy likes to entertain.

i like collazo alot., the dude always brings it. it was sad to see him lose. it's apparent that he will now be the 147lb gatekeeper, as opposed to aserious contender for a title, which breaks my heart.

i like collazo alot., the dude always brings it. it was sad to see him lose. it's apparent that he will now be the 147lb gatekeeper, as opposed to a serious contender for a title, which breaks my heart.
1st off great fight to start 09!

personally, I absolutely feel disgusted for Luis. I've been watching him fight since his novice/open golden gloves days along with paulie, salita, foremanand I know this loss hurt the most.

I'm not gonna say he got outright robbed in this fight because the hatton decision to me was more absurd. But, 116-111 you gotta bekidding me!! Luis had the right game plan and should have finished Berto off in the 10th round cause he had no legs he was ready to kiss the canvas. But,that's always been Collazo knock that he can't really finish guys off and go in for the kill. He let pivotal rounds slip in round 7 & 8 notthrowing punches with his hands down. Also, I don't understand why in the 11th & 12th he was doing the Calzaghe pittypat punches wasting his energy onthe inside when his inside/outside game was working beautifully. I never seen Luis get hit with that many punches tho and I didn't know he had that much ofan iron jaw. It isn't a coincidence that both championship fights he lost were against hyped up HBO champions being billed as the next great thing and heexposed both of them. Maybe I'm being biased but I just wanted to see my dude get a nice payday for all his hardwork, dedication, pain he's beenthrough instead of being jerked by boxing politics. In closing, this quote by Doug Fischer just clarifies what we all know and hate:
But HBO has never been in the business of putting on hardcore fights for nutcakes like me. They've always been in the star-making business. De LaHoya is a bona fide star. Calzaghe is potential star. Pavlik and Cotto were stars in the making. Berto is a star in the making. So HBO bent over (and continuesto bend over) backwards for those fighters and their promoters.

Originally Posted by Hater Like StaRnBuC

i like collazo alot., the dude always brings it. it was sad to see him lose. it's apparent that he will now be the 147lb gatekeeper, as opposed to a serious contender for a title, which breaks my heart.
1st off great fight to start 09!

personally, I absolutely feel disgusted for Luis. I've been watching him fight since his novice/open golden gloves days along with paulie, salita, foreman and I know this loss hurt the most.

I'm not gonna say he got outright robbed in this fight because the hatton decision to me was more absurd. But, 116-111 you gotta be kidding me!! Luis had the right game plan and should have finished Berto off in the 10th round cause he had no legs he was ready to kiss the canvas. But, that's always been Collazo knock that he can't really finish guys off and go in for the kill. He let pivotal rounds slip in round 7 & 8 not throwing punches with his hands down. Also, I don't understand why in the 11th & 12th he was doing the Calzaghe pittypat punches wasting his energy on the inside when his inside/outside game was working beautifully. I never seen Luis get hit with that many punches tho and I didn't know he had that much of an iron jaw. It isn't a coincidence that both championship fights he lost were against hyped up HBO champions being billed as the next great thing and he exposed both of them. Maybe I'm being biased but I just wanted to see my dude get a nice payday for all his hardwork, dedication, pain he's been through instead of being jerked by boxing politics. In closing, this quote by Doug Fischer just clarifies what we all know and hate:
But HBO has never been in the business of putting on hardcore fights for nutcakes like me. They've always been in the star-making business. De La Hoya is a bona fide star. Calzaghe is potential star. Pavlik and Cotto were stars in the making. Berto is a star in the making. So HBO bent over (and continues to bend over) backwards for those fighters and their promoters.

i agree with you 100%. on top of everything you said, i'd like to add taht guys like collazo, who fight so bravely and do so well, are at times never thesame after a loss like that. i'm not saying that berto didn't deserve the win, but if you're in collazo's shoes u've gotta be thinking"where do i go from here?"

Berto has the tools but not the training.

He def needs a change in his corner.

He is still raw talent way too late into his career.

Mayweather Sr would be perfect for him. Even a Buddy McGirt or Freddie Roach would make a drastic difference.

Perhaps I am not giving Collazo enough credit. Its obvious the dude is tough as nails and is a tough out for any fighter so perhaps in that regard I should bemore impressed with Berto's performance.

I am disappointed with with Haze said in that he is still a very raw talent and he should be beyond that point. He really didnt seem to have any sort ofgameplan, and was just going to rely on his obvious edge in the talent/speed dept.

Would a change in the corner help, I dont know. Berto's downfall will be that he was babied too much. He needed more fights like this as opposed to thecannon fodder/tomato cans he was put in with.

Edison Miranda beat some bum at light heaveyweight this weekend

and why the hell is
Jose Luis Castillo still fighting?

Berto's downfall will be that he was babied too much. He needed more fights like this as opposed to the cannon fodder/tomato cans he was put in with.
Agree 100%, but I think a change in his corner would be beneficial to him.

[h2]Berto beats back Collazo challenge[/h2]
Comment http://sendtofriend.espn....g Collaz&id=3842491','sendtofriend','noresizable,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=3842491#">Email Print
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

box_f_berto-collazo01_576.jpg
Scott Foster/Fightwireimages.com Digging deep: Andre Berto, left, poured it on late to clinch the win over Luis Collazo.

A roundup of the past week's notable boxing results from around the world:
[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Biloxi, Miss.
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Andre Berto W12 Luis Collazo
Retains a welterweight title
Scores: 116-111, 114-113 (twice)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Berto, 24-0, 19 KOs; Collazo, 29-4, 14 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Babied by promoter Lou DiBella, manager Al Haymon and HBO throughout his career, Berto finally stepped up against a legitimate top-10 welterweight and passed the brutally stiff test, edging Collazo in a fantastic fight that we ought to be talking about 11 months from now when it comes time to discuss fight of the year candidates. The 25-year-old Berto, a 2004 Olympian and the 2006 ESPN.com prospect of the year, banged it out with former titleholder Collazo, 27, in a crowd-pleasing bout that had all sorts of momentum swings and furious exchanges.

Both guys were cut and both laid their hearts out to try to win. But it was Berto, fighting like he wanted it more down the stretch, who won the late rounds, especially the 12th, to seal the tight fight. You know that 116-111 score turned in by judge Bill Clancy? No way. There was simply no way in hell this was a five-point fight. If you thought Collazo deserved the decision, which would not be an unreasonable position, it could be a one or two-point fight either way. But Berto, making the second defense of his belt, got the nod and it's hard to argue against the decision. His shots seemed to be harder and his hands were faster, although Collazo threw so many punches. He started awfully fast, rocking Berto and nearly knocking him down in the first round. Berto also was docked a point for holding in the fourth round by referee Keith Hughes. Collazo appeared to tire in the middle rounds before regaining his wind, but by then Berto was in another gear as he closed really strong. Berto connected on 266 of 682 shots (39 percent) and Collazo landed 222 of 812 shots (27 percent), according to CompuBox statistics.

It was a great fight and a great test for an outstanding young fighter in Berto. DiBella told ESPN.com that Berto likely will defend his title again in the late spring or summer and then has promised Collazo, who also lost a razor-close decision to Ricky Hatton a few years ago, a rematch. He deserves it.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Sadam Ali TKO1 Ricky Thompson
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Ali, 1-0, 1 KO; Thompson, 1-5, 1 KO
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: New Yorker Ali, 20, the U.S. Olympic lightweight (132 pounds) in Beijing, made his pro debut, becoming the fourth member of Team USA to turn pro. He was matched soft and did as expected, scoring the knockout against Thompson, 27. Ali dropped Thompson with a right hand, and although Thompson beat the count, the fight was waved off at 1:42.[/td] [/tr][/table] [table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Düsseldorf, Germany
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Cruiserweight
Victor Emilio Ramirez TKO10 Alexander Alekseev
Wins a vacant interim cruiserweight title
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Ramirez, 14-1, 12 KOs; Alekseev, 16-1, 15 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Talk about a surprise. Universum has been grooming Alekseev -- 27, a native of Uzbekistan living in Germany -- to be a star and this was supposed to be a showcase victory for him. But this is why they fight the fights. Ramirez, 24, fighting for the first time outside of Argentina, started a bit slowly as Alekseev was able to put some rounds in the bank with his boxing ability. But the aggressive Ramirez turned things in his favor when he caught Alekseev with some body shots and wobbled him in the sixth round. Although Alekseev returned the body attack in the seventh and hurt Ramirez, the latter shook it off. Ramirez was connecting with head shots and rocked Alekseev again in the ninth and almost knocked him down at the end of the round. After the round, Alekseev's corner threw in the towel and the fight was called off, officially, one second into the 10th round. Ramirez claimed an interim belt. Why it was available will remain another in the vast catalog of sanctioning organization greed. David Haye vacated the title last year and Enzo Maccarinelli and Johnathon Banks were supposed to meet for the vacant belt in December before Banks sprained his ankle. Maccarinelli will fight Banks or somebody else (if Banks takes a possible fight with division king Tomasz Adamek) for the vacant title. So why exactly was an interim title made available? Follow the money.
[/td] [/tr][/table] [table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Hermosillo, Mexico
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Jose Luis Castillo TKO2 James Wayca
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Castillo, 57-9-1, 49 KOs; Wayca, 16-8, 8 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: On the first show of Top Rank's new series on Mexico's TV Azteca and its U.S. sister network, Azteca America, former lightweight champion Castillo -- now 35 and a shell of his former self after so many wars -- steamrolled to the victory against journeyman Wayca, 30, who dropped to 3-6 in his past nine fights, with each loss during the stretch coming via knockout in less than five rounds. Castillo scored a first-round knockdown and finished Wayca in the second with a body shot. It was Castillo's first bout since a one-sided decision loss to Sebastian Lujan in July on ESPN2. Castillo might no longer be among the best, but he'll undoubtedly keep fighting these kind of fights just to make a living.
[/td] [/tr][/table] [table][tr][th=""]
Friday at Key West, Fla.
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior middleweight
Eromosele Albert W10 Germaine Sanders
Scores: 100-90 (three times)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Albert, 22-2-1, 10 KOs; Sanders, 27-7, 17 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In the ESPN2 "Friday Night Fights" main event, Albert, 34, rolled to an easy decision as he won every round on all three scorecards. If you saw one round, you know exactly how the whole fight went -- Albert asserting himself at his own pace and Sanders, 38, who has lost four in a row, doing nothing in return. Sanders took the fight on five days' notice. Albert was originally supposed to serve as fodder for former welterweight titlist Carlos Quintana, but he hurt his ankle and pulled out of the fight. It was a decent rebound performance for Albert, who had a miserable 2008, drawing with Ossie Duran and getting stiffened by James Kirkland in one round.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Middleweight
Angel Hernandez W10 James McGirt Jr.
Scores: 96-95, 96-94 (twice)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Hernandez, 29-7, 16 KOs; McGirt Jr., 19-2-1, 9 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: Although McGirt has great bloodlines as the son of former two-time world champion Buddy McGirt (his father and trainer), the younger McGirt, 26, is clearly never going to reach the lofty levels achieved by the elder McGirt. If he was as good as his media releases say he is, he would have easily dispatched the game-but-long-faded Angel Hernandez, 33, who moved to 5-5 in his past 10 fights (including a lopsided 2005 loss to Winky Wright for a junior middleweight title). In the end, it was a close fight, which was announced on ESPN2 as a majority decision for Hernandez, leaving the McGirts stunned. Turns out, it was actually unanimous for Hernandez. Although McGirt was quicker than Hernandez and more skillful, he let Hernandez crowd him, work on the inside and bully him. The loss continued an inconsistent run for McGirt, who was knocked out by Carlos De Leon Jr. last April, rebounded for a solid decision against Raymond Joval in July and then fought to a draw with the unheralded Marcus Upshaw in November.[/td] [/tr][/table] [table][tr][th=""]
Friday at Tulsa, Okla.
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Featherweight
Orlando Cruz KO5 Leonilo Miranda
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Cruz, 16-0-1, 7 KOs; Miranda, 24-1, 23 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: This is the kind of "ShoBox" main event that is most intriguing: When both fighters are undefeated, both are somewhat unknown and both are in with what figures to be their best opponent. In this case, it was Cruz, a 2000 Puerto Rican Olympian whose career has moved slowly, who passed his test and Mexico's Miranda who flamed out in the battle of southpaws. It had been a competitive and entertaining fight going into the fifth round when Cruz, who had been rocked in the third round, crushed Miranda with a dynamic left hand to the chin and put him flat on his back. Miranda, fighting outside of his home state of Sonora, struggled to his feet but could not beat the count.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Lightweight
Marvin Quintero TKO3 Nick Casal
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Quintero, 15-1, 12 KOs; Casal, 18-4-1, 14 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: Nothing fancy here other than Quintero and Casal trading all out in a brutal slugfest until Casal, telling his corner he had no legs, quit after the third round. It was a surprising and disappointing end to what had been an all-out slugfest. Although both were absorbing a lot of punches, Quintero, of Mexico, was doing more damage. He poured on punches in the third round, after which Casal, 23, the one-time prospect, simply wanted no more. As Showtime analyst Steve Farhood said afterward, it seemed like Casal was not only quitting the fight, but quitting boxing as well. Quintero won his 11th in a row since suffering his lone defeat, a first-round TKO loss to Balam Castellanos in 2005.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Featherweight
Gary Russell Jr. TKO3 Antonio Reyes
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Russell Jr., 1-0, 1 KO; Reyes, 3-3, 0 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: Russell, 20, was the 2008 U.S. Olympic bantamweight but never fought in Beijing. His story of passing out the night before the first weigh-in while cutting weight and being disqualified was well documented over the summer. Turning the page, the decorated amateur with the flashy style made his professional debut in the more comfortable featherweight division and he put on an impressive show. With exposure on the season debut of Showtime's "ShoBox," Russell showed he's going to be a fun prospect to watch climb the pro ladder. For a kid in his first pro fight, he was matched solidly and delivered an exciting, knockout performance that should have fans mighty interested in seeing him again. He displayed fast hands and poise as he dropped Reyes near the end of the second round with some massive shots. Reyes, game to the end, somehow made it to his feet. But he didn't last much longer as Russell, of Capitol Heights, Md., attacked him from the outset of the third round. He was laying a beating on Reyes when referee Steve Smoger made a perfect stoppage 21 seconds into the round.[/td] [/tr][/table] [table][tr][th=""]
Wednesday at Hollywood, Fla.
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior middleweight
Sechew Powell TKO3 Christian Lloyd Joseph
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Powell, 25-2, 15 KOs; Joseph, 12-8-3, 5 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: On the comeback trail, Powell was matched awfully soft, so it should come as little surprise that he blew out Joseph, 36, who lost his fourth in a row and fifth of his past sixth. Powell, 29, who won his second in a row, is trying to get his career back on track after being stopped by Deandre Latimore in the seventh round in June and subsequently failing the post-fight drug test, for which he was fined and suspended. He was all over Joseph from the start and hurt him in the opening round. Finally, in the third, referee Frank Gentile stopped the bout after Joseph was rocked with unanswered shots.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Light heavyweight
Edison Miranda KO3 Manuel Esparza
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Miranda, 31-3, 27 KOs; Esparza, 20-9-1, 5 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: The last time he was in the ring, Miranda was blown away by middleweight titleholder Arthur Abraham in the fourth round of their super middleweight nontitle rematch in June. Making his comeback, Miranda, 28, was matched as soft as can be and took care of Esparza, 30, with ease, fighting as a light heavyweight. He dropped Esparza in the second round and knocked him out with a left to the nose the following round. As exciting as Miranda is, it's hard to envision him beating the elite at light heavyweight or super middleweight. But he's always fun to watch. Esparza, 30, fought for only the second time since 2000 and fell to 1-5 in his past six.[/td] [/tr][/table]

i had collazo ahead by a round. although i wouldnt have been mad if the decision came to a draw. berto needs to work on his body shots and he should be good.it was the 11th or 12th where berto hurt collazo with a body shot and could have taken him out but couldnt finish it. he also should have stayed on theoutside, because it was on the inside where collazo won a lot of rounds with calzaghe like flurrys and pitter pats. good fight. good start for the 09 year.cant wait til next weekend! its on regular HBO right? not PPV?

Originally Posted by dland24

116-111 was ridiculous I agree, but I really do feel Berto won. He landed way more punches, he had a higher percentage of punches landed, he landed more power shots, the point deduction was ridiculous, and he dominated the last 2 rounds of the fight. Sure it was close, but I was saying the ENTIRE fight how wrong the Lederman card was.

agreed but as stated already berto...needs to work on his conditioning and footwork.

Tee, regular HBO for Margarito/Mosley

Shane was talkin big today on Rome. Said he has to tone down cus he maybe a bit overconfident
Said he's only been rocked by forrest n his speed n power should control the fight. We'll see.
pimp.gif

Gotta change thread title too

Should be a good fight on Saturday
smokin.gif

But damn, I was looking at the February schedule and its looking pretty good for boxing fans
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I know there's a few Andre Ward fans on here, didn't see this posted:
Friday, February 6, 2009
Lemore, Calif. (Showtime)
Andre Ward (17-0-0, 12 KOs) vs. Henry Buchanan (17-1-0, 12 KOs)
10 Rounds - Super Middleweight Division

Shane was talkin big today on Rome. Said he has to tone down cus he maybe a bit overconfident
Said he's only been rocked by forrest n his speed n power should control the fight.
laugh.gif
Saturday can't come fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom