09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

what do you guys think about the barrera vs amir khan fight?
a win here would be big for khan's career, and its interesting that hes now being trained by freddie roach.

I was just about to make a post asking what the hell happened to Andre Ward....

Saturday will be guaranteed entertainment though.

GREAT YEAR OF BOXING!

_MarquezDiazHouPC.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

If Floyd un-retires this year ....
eek.gif

When is that Barrera/Khan fight? What network is picking it up?

the khan vs barrera will happen on march 14th at the manchester evening news arena. im not aware of a tv deal for that fight yet but i havent read any updateson that bout.

'Dre Ward tore up his knee in a pick-up BBall game last year and kept him inactive until December. He was on the Cunningham vs. Adamek card on Versus.

From what I've been reading he should see plenty of action this year.

Originally Posted by Mistadobalina

i like collazo alot., the dude always brings it. it was sad to see him lose. it's apparent that he will now be the 147lb gatekeeper, as opposed to a serious contender for a title, which breaks my heart.

I'm late, bc i just watched off the DVR, but i agree w/ that^...(had berto winning 114-113 and agreed w/ the holding deduction)

but it was a great fight, and i think it helped both of their careers....it helped Collazo's image because he showed he can put on an entertaining fightagainst top 10 contenders and it gave Berto some good experience...One thing i was surprised by though is that I thought Berto was a better insidefighter...against lower level competition, he usually dominates on the inside, beating ppl to the punch w/ combos and breaking ppl down, I was shocked thatCollazo just had better ring skills inside

this mexicans at work swearing up and down Margarito offered mayweather 5 million to fight him and turned it down? is this true? cause i never heard that %$+!before

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

this mexicans at work swearing up and down Margarito offered mayweather 5 million to fight him and turned it down? is this true? cause i never heard that %$+! before

Yes, its true... And add 3 million to the 5

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

this mexicans at work swearing up and down Margarito offered mayweather 5 million to fight him and turned it down? is this true? cause i never heard that %$+! before

After he beat Judah and gave up his IBF belt and I think it may have been before Margarito fought Clottey, it was reported that he turned down $8 million tofight Margarito.

It happened a few years ago.... Honestly, thats what made Margarito famous IMO. They took that and ran with it....

All the analysts would say "Antonio Margarito....The guy who Floyd Mayweather turned down $8 million to get in the ring with"

Ill see if I can pull up an article about it...

Originally Posted by yungmatt

It happened a few years ago.... Honestly, thats what made Margarito famous IMO. They took that and ran with it....

All the analysts would say "Antonio Margarito....The guy who Floyd Mayweather turned down $8 million to get in the ring with"

That made him famous to casual boxing fans I think to avid fans he became a household name when he demolished Cintron the first time who was undefeated and Ibelieve who was favored. To defend Floyd, Margarito had a ten month layoff after beating Cintro and then took another ten months before fight with Clottey sohe was well rested...and Floyd got $8 million to fight Baldomir as well so if you're him who are you going to take $8 million to fight? A dangerous, wellrested Margarito or Baldomir, a decent fighter but nowhere near as dangerous as Margaritio? I still think if you're the best and want to be regarded asthe best, you need to fight the best.

EDIT: Link and article below:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2420382http://sports.espn.go.com...ing/news/story?id=2420382

[h2]Mayweather turns down $8 million to fight Margarito[/h2]
http://sendtofriend.espn....mp;title=Mayweather won\'t%20fight%20Margarito,%20splits%20with%20Arum&id=2420382','sendtofriend','noresizable,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2420382#">Email Print
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. rejected promoter Bob Arum's $8 million offer to fight welterweight titlist Antonio Margarito, and he instead exercised a provision in his contract to buy Arum out and become a promotional free agent, Arum told ESPN.com on Monday.

According to Arum, Mayweather turned down the career-best purse to meet Margarito on Aug. 12 on HBO Pay-Per-View, instead opting for free agency by buying Arum out of their deal for $750,000.

"I did hear from him," Arum said of Mayweather. "He decided not to fight this summer. I made him a tremendous offer. I think Margarito is the riskiest fight for him of anyone out there."

Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN.com that Mayweather passed on the fight not because he is ducking Margarito, but because he couldn't be ready to fight by Aug. 12. Mayweather injured his right hand during a dominating April 8 victory against Zab Judah.

"Floyd is not 100 percent healthy," Ellerbe said. "He has a bruised right hand. His hand is not broken. It's bruised, but it's a bad bruise. He wants to go into any fight 100 percent healthy. If Antonio Margarito happens to be the best available option when he is healthy, so be it.

"We are not turning down Margarito. I want to make that crystal clear. When and if he is the best available option for Floyd's next fight, that's the direction he will move in."

With Aug. 12 no longer set aside for a Mayweather fight, Arum said he will use the date to feature one of his other stars, heavyweight titlist Hasim Rahman, in a mandatory title defense against Oleg Maskaev on HBO PPV.

That bout, a rematch of Maskaev's 1999 knockout victory, took on greater significance last weekend in the wake of Wladimir Klitschko's title-winning knockout of Chris Byrd in Germany.

The reason: Among the four recognized heavyweight title holders, Klitschko became the third from a former Soviet republic to beat an American to win a belt, leaving Rahman as the lone American heavyweight champion and Maskaev poised to give Eastern Europe a sweep of the titles in boxing's marquee division.

Arum said Mayweather preferred to await the outcome of the May 6 Oscar De La Hoya-Ricardo Mayorga fight instead of committing to Margarito because he would prefer to fight De La Hoya.

"We're not sitting waiting on De La Hoya," Ellerbe said. "He's in a tough, tough fight with Mayorga."

Many in the sport believe a De La Hoya-Mayweather fight is the biggest fight on the horizon and the only one capable of generating 1 million-plus buys on pay-per-view.

The reason Mayweather opted for the buyout rather than waiting for the May 6 result was because the contract had a limited window for the buyout, one that expired before the De La Hoya fight. However, Arum said he would have extended the window if Mayweather had asked. What Arum wouldn't do, he said, was raise the guarantees for other fights outlined in the contract.

Arum said while Mayweather would have taken the $8 million to fight Margarito, he asked for a $10 million guarantee to fight opponents such as Miguel Cotto and Ricky Hatton, when Arum was only willing to guarantee $7 million.

Arum said Mayweather also asked for $20 million to fight De La Hoya, a fight Arum said he wasn't interested in participating in.

"That's not in the cards," Arum said. "He wants $20 million for the De La Hoya fight? It's not there. Sometimes, my man, you gotta know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. We'll talk about things down the road."

Ellerbe said Mayweather opted for the buyout so he could be "more in control of when and who he fights next. It's as simple as that. There is nothing bad between Floyd and Bob."

Arum agreed that the split with Mayweather was not on bad terms like their brief breakup last year. In fact, Arum said, "We intend to be back together. Everything with this was honorable and good. I had offered him numbers [for a multi-fight contract extension] that were livable. His expectations are in the stratosphere. He was entitled to buy me out, and he did. We decided this was the best way to handle it. He is a free agent. We have agreed to work with each other [in the future]."

The split frees Mayweather to make a potential deal with De La Hoya without Arum as part of the promotion. His involvement would have made making a deal almost impossible: The head of Top Rank has openly feuded with De La Hoya, his former superstar, and their companies rarely do business together as a result.

Arum said he was simply not interested in participating in a De La Hoya-Mayweather fight, but not because of his distaste for De La Hoya.

"I don't want to, because if I did that fight, I would be working for such a small percentage, it's not worth it," he said.

Instead, Arum is turning his attention to the Rahman-Maskaev fight.

Arum said that he and Maskaev representative Dennis Rappaport are about $300,000 apart on making a deal. If they don't finalize terms, the WBC will hold a purse bid May 1 in Mexico City.

But Arum is confident they will make the deal.

"We're very close," he said. "It will take another day to work it out."

Arum said he is already making arrangements to announce the fight at a news conference in New York on May 10. He added that the fight would take place at either Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., or at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Arum said Margarito could wind up on the Rahman-Maskaev card in the co-feature.

"But it's tentative," Arum said. "If Mayweather decides to fight in September or October, and Margarito could still be a candidate, I want him to be flexible."

well i find it so i guess i have to shut up
laugh.gif
the margarito Driding begetting out of hand here

Mayweather rejected an offer of US$8 million to fight Antonio Margarito and split with promoter Bob Arum. [sup][29][/sup] De la Hoya, however, postponed his decision until 2007, leaving Mayweather in the awkward position of choosing his next opponent.[sup][30][/sup] Mayweather considered moving up in weight again to fight junior middleweight champion Cory Spinks, but because of negative publicity and Spinks' impending mandatory defense of his title, he finally decided to face WBC and The Ring welterweight champion Carlos Baldomir on November 4, 2006 in Las Vegas.[sup][31][/sup]

Mayweather would ultimately defeat Baldomir by unanimous decision for both titles. Ringside punch statistics showed Mayweather landing 199 of 458 punches, while Baldomir landed just 79 of 670. Mayweather earned $8 million for the fight, while Baldomir was paid $1.6 million. Both were career highs in earnings for each fighter at the time.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by yungmatt

That made him famous to casual boxing fans I think to avid fans he became a household name when he demolished Cintron the first time who was undefeated and I believe who was favored. To defend Floyd, Margarito had a ten month layoff after beating Cintro and then took another ten months before fight with Clottey so he was well rested...and Floyd got $8 million to fight Baldomir as well so if you're him who are you going to take $8 million to fight? A dangerous, well rested Margarito or Baldomir, a decent fighter but nowhere near as dangerous as Margaritio? I still think if you're the best and want to be regarded as the best, you need to fight the best.
Correct.... I never was a fan of Kermit from the gate though.

I wouldnt have taken that fight either.... It made absolutely no sense for Floyd at the time.

Question...what is Top Rank PPV? I see Pavlik/Cotto's next fights are on it...is it the same as regular PPV or when I call to order do I ask for Top RankPPV.

Question...what is Top Rank PPV? I see Pavlik/Cotto's next fights are on it...is it the same as regular PPV or when I call to order do I ask for Top Rank PPV.

Yah its the same as regular PPV.
I guess you'd have to call and ask for the Top Rank PPV or just order from your remote control.

I thought MAB was supposed to fight a mandatory against Nate Campbell? Maybe later in the year.
Khan should be too fast for MAB but you never know with his chin. I swear dude even got dropped by Pacquiao during his sparring session on 24/7.

Anybody think Zab Judah vs. Andre Berto would be a good fight?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Question...what is Top Rank PPV? I see Pavlik/Cotto's next fights are on it...is it the same as regular PPV or when I call to order do I ask for Top Rank PPV.

Yah its the same as regular PPV.
I guess you'd have to call and ask for the Top Rank PPV or just order from your remote control.

I thought MAB was supposed to fight a mandatory against Nate Campbell? Maybe later in the year.
Khan should be too fast for MAB but you never know with his chin. I swear dude even got dropped by Pacquiao during his sparring session on 24/7.

Anybody think Zab Judah vs. Andre Berto would be a good fight?
nerd.gif

That fight would be VERY interesting.... I couldnt see it going past round 8 considering both of them lack stamina.

But if I had to flip a coin I would take Berto in that one.

I couldnt logically pick Zab vs any fighter with Heart.
been there done that. just weather Zab's 1st 3 rounds, and u won cuz he will surely stop his gameplan, quit, or commit some type of flagrant foul .. thenhe'll prolly complain about the decision or something in the fight afterwards.

I dont wanna see zab fight at 147 ever again.

How bout Berto/Clottey. Lets see that one! so we can start eliminating people from contention for #1 welter spot

lets get

Winner of Shane/Tonio vs Punisher.
Winner of Berto/Clottey vs Cotto.

Straight Tourney style. For linear Championship. and if PacMan still thinks he wants some real comp at 147, he can get winner of all that and get his facebroken in 58 places.

Originally Posted by JayGunnA

I couldnt logically pick Zab vs any fighter with Heart.
been there done that. just weather Zab's 1st 3 rounds, and u won cuz he will surely stop his gameplan, quit, or commit some type of flagrant foul .. then he'll prolly complain about the decision or something in the fight afterwards.

I dont wanna see zab fight at 147 ever again.

How bout Berto/Clottey. Lets see that one! so we can start eliminating people from contention for #1 welter spot

lets get

Winner of Shane/Tonio vs Punisher.
Winner of Berto/Clottey vs Cotto.

Straight Tourney style. For linear Championship. and if PacMan still thinks he wants some real comp at 147, he can get winner of all that and get his face broken in 58 places.

smh.gif
Total Domination...At this point in his career Berto cant handle Josh clottey

But as said earlier in this thread...He pretty much has no choice. Hes gonna get thrown to the wolves regardless.

I dont see any 147 lber on both their A games beating Punisher, not the way he's fighting and sittin down on his punches.

Yea Clottey would more than likely handle Berto but Zab had Clottey Rocked on a number of occasions.

as far as Im concerned, there's two untouchables in the division. Margaritslow and Punisher.
everyone else could beat each other.

I dont care how past his prime MAB is, he beats Amir Khan with EASE!

Originally Posted by JayGunnA

I dont see any 147 lber on both their A games beating Punisher, not the way he's fighting and sittin down on his punches.

Yea Clottey would more than likely handle Berto but Zab had Clottey Rocked on a number of occasions.

as far as Im concerned, there's two untouchables in the division. Margaritslow and Punisher.
everyone else could beat each other.

Maybe I missed that
laugh.gif
.... I didnt see Clottey phased the entire fight

I dont see any untouchables at 147.... Just like any other sport, its all about matchups. Paul can lose to Margarito if they fight again IMO

Also, If Cotto gets a rematch against Margarito, I dont see Cotto losing again if he sticks to his style.... That is IF his heart wasnt permanently taken fromthe beatdown

Really? I dont see it. Granted I can count the # of Kahn fights I have seen on one hand, but from what we have seen of MAB in the twilight of his career Ithink Kahn takes the fight. MAB is old in boxing years, alot of rounds on that body. But that's why they fight the fights, so we'll see.

Interested to see how Margarito looks this weekend. Does he start fast or slow? Can he handle the early round speed of Mosley? Will Shane be an easytarget like Cotto in terms of lack of head movement, allowing Margarito to sit on those punches?

With Richardson in Shane's corner, coming of a huuuuuge win against Pavlik who is a heavy hitter himself, I have a feeling they have some tricks up theirsleeve.

Back
Top Bottom