09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Gunna you get OnDemand or whatever?

Also, appreciate the weaponry hook up my good man...
pimp.gif

Wednesday's news of the death of Hall of Famer and former three-division champion Alexis Arguello at age 57 hit the boxing world hard.

The sport had lost one of its all-time greats, and flyweight titleholder Nonito Donaire had lost one of his heroes. Donaire is a huge fan of Arguello, whose death hit him hard.

"When I found out, I was kind of sad. I mean, that's Arguello," Donaire told me over the phone from Las Vegas, only hours after the announcement of Arguello's untimely death. "He was a gentleman of the game. One thing I learned from him was to be a gentleman."

Donaire (21-1, 14 KOs), born in the Philippines and living in California, was in Las Vegas for a press conference to formally announce Top Rank's "Pinoy Power 2" pay-per-view card on Aug. 15 at the Hard Rock.

In the main event, Donaire will face Panama's Rafael Concepcion (13-3-1, 8 KOs) for a vacant interim junior bantamweight title. Donaire currently holds a flyweight title, which he won with a spectacular fifth-round knockout of Vic Darchinyan in 2007, but he is on the verge of giving it up in order to move up to junior bantamweight, where he contested many of his fights before beating Darchinyan for the title.

Although we discussed his upcoming fight, Donaire really wanted to talk about Arguello. He said he was "crushed" by his death.

Donaire's father and uncle were serious Arguello fans, and it rubbed off on him as a kid. Now he has a collection of Arguello fights that he watches regularly. "Every one of his big fights," Donaire said proudly, adding that he also has collections of fights of other "old-school fighters" such as Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard and Roberto Duran.

"My father and uncle were big fans of Arguello," Donaire said. "When I was in the process of learning to throw the hook, my dad would show me Arguello's moves. He throws his hook at an angle, almost like an uppercut, and that's how I throw my hook, because of Arguello. My dad taught it to me that way. He said, 'This is the way Arguello throws his hook.' We watched his old fights a lot and that's how I got my hook."

It was that left hook that knocked out Darchinyan in Donaire's biggest victory.

"We watched Arguello on tape and we would go over it," Donaire said. "I remember being very young, maybe 11 or 12, and my dad saying, 'This is how Arguello throws his hook.'"

Donaire never had a chance to meet Arguello, "but I was a big fan. I felt so sad when I heard he had died. He's not only a great fighter. I got a lot of things from him. He was a gentleman, and that always stuck with me. That's what I always try to be. He was just an incredible fighter. Rest in peace, Arguello."

Kind of a long read but a perspective on Ortiz' quit job:
Other than the very sad news of the death of Alexis Arguello, the talk of the boxing world this week centered on Victor Ortiz's loss last Saturday night to Marcos Maidana and what it means for the future of Ortiz, and the future of the sport.

It may seem strange that a single loss prompted such a widespread wringing of hands, but so it is in the very strange world of Boxiana, where illusion and reality are always in cahoots, and where every great prospect is only one loss away from being a has-been in the eyes of the ever-fickle media.

That said, Ortiz's loss was no ordinary loss. This is a fighter tagged with the burden of enormous expectations. A Mexican-American possessed of a flashy smile and youthful charm, Ortiz has been called by many the second coming of Oscar De La Hoya. Oscar himself invested a lot of money on that comparison bearing fruit, signing Ortiz to Golden Boy Promotions and then promoting him out the wazoo. Increasingly, Ortiz was THE face of Golden Boy (or at least their only significant face under the age of 35) and the Maidana fight was his coming-out party, his first bout as an HBO headliner.

It was also his first truly tough fight, and he did not pass the test. That he lost, however, was only a fraction of the story. In a bloody battle that appeared destined for Fight of the Year stature, after five rounds of back-and-forth swinging for the fences that saw four total knockdowns, Ortiz (way up on the scorecards at that point) essentially pulled a "no mas" in the sixth round, getting up from a knockdown and signaling to the referee with a gesture to his cut right eye that he was done for the night, that he wanted no more of what Maidana was cooking. The referee, seemingly as a courtesy, referred Ortiz to the ring doctor, who promptly instructed the ref to stop the fight, and thus the official record shows that the fight was stopped on the advice of the doctor to a cut caused by a punch, making Maidana the winner by technical knockout.

http://But those of you who watched the fight know the truth: Ortiz quit. If you doubted the evidence of your eyes, you needed only to listen to Ortiz's summation of the situation to HBO's Max Kellerman in the post-fight interview. With one eye nearly swollen shut and the other not too far behind, he explained his actions by saying, "I was hurt… I'm not going to lay down, I'm not going out on my back to anyone. That way I can speak well when I'm older." In response to a later question about his future, he said, "We'll see what happens. I'm young, but I don't think I deserve to be getting beat up like this. So I have a lot of thinking to do."

More than the fact that he quit, this guileless admission of his thought process in the moment shocked the boxing universe. There is a code in this sport, perhaps unfair, that you go down with the ship, go out on your shield, fight to the bitter end, etc. To have a fighter so openly flaunt that code in the ring, on national television no less, was not something bound to be overlooked among hard-boiled fistic observers. Clearly, the powers-that-be at Golden Boy were not pleased with his comments, because by the time the post-fight press conference rolled around, Ortiz's tune had changed dramatically, if not convincingly. He claimed that he had wanted to keep fighting to the end but the doctor stopped the fight. Oscar De La Hoya and Richard Schaefer (Golden Boy CEO) both aggressively echoed that sentiment. The revisionist history campaign was under way.

They should have known, however, that there would be no undoing what had been said in the ring, and that trouble was afoot. Fellow promoters Bob Arum of Top Rank and Gary Shaw of Main Events swooped on the situation like vultures on a hot carcass. Arum (from whom Golden Boy stole Ortiz in 2005) blasted Ortiz for being a known front-runner without heart, and then blasted Golden Boy for having no decent fighters, and then blasted HBO for giving Golden Boy so many exclusive dates in 2009 when Golden Boy is increasingly unable to deliver any respectable fights (let it never be said that the Bobfather won't put a shoestore on you when you're down on the canvas). Shaw was similarly brutal, expressing disgust at Ortiz's words and actions. "The kid quit," he told Michael Marley of the Examiner. "He quit like a dog."

In a Tuesday press release from Golden Boy, Ortiz expressed regret for what he'd said. "I made some comments after the fight that were an emotional response to the loss," he explained. "I take full responsibility for my words and actions, but I didn't mean what I said."

Predictably, the blogs have been merciless with Ortiz all week, and also on De La Hoya and Golden Boy. "It's in his genes," Gary Shaw said of Ortiz's "no mas" routine, which was undoubtedly a shot at De La Hoya and his reputation as a front-runner during his boxing career. This has been the tenor of most of the invective from the blogosphere all week, a dismissal of Ortiz as ODLH Lite: nice smile, lots of hype and a quitter when the going gets tough.

I wonder if Ortiz will be able to shake off the stigma of the Maidana debacle, and if he does, how long it will take to happen. Personally, I've never been one to insist that a fighter be willing to die in the ring. I've always been uncomfortable judging a man on that index. Boxers do die in fights. It happens all the time. And every time it does it makes me heartsick and fills me with doubt about this sport that's so much a part of my life. I'm all for these guys suffering less permanent damage as opposed to more, and whenever a fighter is excoriated for daring to talk about his concern for his own well-being, I feel like it's unfair. You won't find other fighters throwing those kinds of stones around, and they don't live in the glass houses that we keyboard warriors do.

But here's the thing about Victor Ortiz - if he can't handle getting hurt, he has two choices: get better, or get a new job. As much as I don't want fighters to suffer irreparable harm in their fights, there's simply no getting around the fact that boxing is necessarily about "playing with pain." Like, ridiculous amounts of pain. If you're Roy Jones in his prime, if you're Floyd Mayweather, well, you can minimize that aspect of the gig. Boxing wasn't that hard a hustle for Roy back in the 90's because nobody could hit the man. You don't get hurt if you don't get hit.

But Victor - based on the evidence from last Saturday night, if you have a reasonably accurate right hand from the conventional stance, you can't miss the kid in there. Marcos Maidana is one very tough, very able boxer, but he does not look to me like he has remarkably good handspeed. And yet his overhand, looping right found Ortiz's face over and over as if there was a magnetic attraction between glove and chin.

Ortiz handled being stunned very well - I'll grant him that. He got up from a knockdown in the first round and fought back gamely, even though he was clearly dazed. But when the serious pain arrived, he fell apart almost immediately. His blood was flowing, his eyes were swelling, and he threw in his own towel almost immediately, even though he was winning the fight, even though it had been a seesaw battle to that point and he was likely only one big shot away from turning the tide back in his favor.

This is not the kind of mettle that will get you very far in the hardest game. In a moment of weakness, Ortiz admitted to America that he's having his doubts about his own fighting spirit. I have to imagine his promoters and managers are having the same doubts. How much more money and time are they going to be willing to invest in a man who is so easily hit, and so easily and dramatically folds under duress? To succeed at the highest level as a boxer, you have to prevail over great pain. Unless, as I've said, you're Floyd Mayweather. So Victor, that's what you're up against as far as I can see. Get great, or get lost.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/th...view/26225/victor_ortiz_and_the_warriors_code

smh.gif
Ortiz still.

I'm on round 3 in King Arthur fight. He's done at 160. He can't make this weight.
Looks like 168 is gonna be a helluva division

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

smh.gif
Ortiz still.

And I think Arthur has one more fight left in him at 160. You know he wants that fight with Kelly bad. But yea 168 is going to be a bad division. Kessler,Bute, Froch, Andrade, Green, Dirrell, Jermain
grin.gif
, Bika, Punisher soon tobe Kelly and Arthur and if what I've heard about Chad not getting fights at 175 he's willing to go to 168...oh boy. HBO *$%!@% up bad, all the bignames in this division are under Showtime. HBO is going to regret passing on this division.

I think Abraham has been struggling for a while now making 160. Offiically he had "the flu" against Marquez when the fight was initially cancelledbut I think it might have been weight issues. I would have liked to have seen him fight Pavlik. I still think he's one of the most overrated fighers outthere and I won't be surprised when he gets shut out by one of the descent fighters at 168.

Originally Posted by Proshares

But yea 168 is going to be a bad division. Kessler, Bute, Froch, Andrade, Green, Dirrell, Jermain
grin.gif
, Bika, Punisher soon to be Kelly and Arthur
smh.gif

How you going to name all the Super Middles and not mention my man 'Dre Ward?

My boy Nonito
pimp.gif
Wish top rank gave him better quality fights. That dudeRafael Concepcion blocks punches with his head, lol... He took out by boy Banal here in Cebu.. though Banal pulled an "Ortiz" in the 10th

Here's Nonito's twitter if you guys are interested to follow http://twitter.com/filipinoflash He does reply to tweets, lol

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

Originally Posted by Proshares

But yea 168 is going to be a bad division. Kessler, Bute, Froch, Andrade, Green, Dirrell, Jermain
grin.gif
, Bika, Punisher soon to be Kelly and Arthur
smh.gif

How you going to name all the Super Middles and not mention my man 'Dre Ward?
Dre Ward
pimp.gif
I love that dude's skills. I hope hedevelops his power.. He kinda reminds me of a 168 lb Nonito Jr

[h2]Little known Irish Amateur Boxer, Robert Gorman is Responsible for the Biggest Boxing Match in the World This Year Being Postponed…Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Juan Manuel Marquez[/h2]
368035096.jpg

By Jonny Stapleton

Little known Irish Amateur Boxer, Robert Gorman is responsible for the biggest boxing match in the world this year being postponed.

The return of former pound for pound ring king, Floyd Mayweather, who retired with an unblemished 39 fight record after defeating Ricky Hatton in December 2007, was boxings most eagerly anticipated event.

However, the much lauded contest with Juan Manuel Marquez had to be postponed after 'Pretty Boy' picked up a rib injury.

It appears Robert Gorman a big body punching Irish amateur inflicted that injury and was the catalyst behind Mayweather's decision to pull out of the multi million dollar fight.

While the Irish Amateur High Performance Team were preparing for the EU Championships, fellow amateur Gorman was in the infamous Top Rank gym sparing with former World Amatuer Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist, Yuriokis Gamboa.

So impressive was the Irish puncher, who most claim was robbed of victory in this years nationals, and subsequently a place on the High Performance team, that he was personally asked by Mayweather's camp to spar with pro boxing biggest name in a bid to ready him for Marquez.

But rather than prepare Mayweather for the multi million dollar clash the Ballbrigan native put paid to the fight.

"I was chosen to fight Mayweather because I have a similar style to Marquez. Now after going toe to toe with the greatest boxer in the world I would take on anyone. I have learnt so much and I am not afraid of any fighter. It was a pity my time got cut short due to the Mayweather's injury," The 25 year old explained.

"I won't admit to injuring him, but I won't say I didn't injure him. What I will say is that I am a big body puncher. I bang in body shots. Plus I spared four six minute rounds with him and after the session with me he still hasn't got back into the ring. I was the last man he sparred. I had to wait for a week to see if was ready to spar again but was then told the fight was called off. You can draw your own conclusions."

Accolades have been pouring in for the unknown Irish puncher since his exchanges with some of American boxing biggest names and so have the offers. Gorman, has been courted by some of the games big names. However the determined pugilist who would give Rocky Balboa a run on the heart and fight stakes has a point to prove at amateur level and will remain unpaid until at least 2012.

"I am all set to qualify for the Amateur World Championships. What better way is there to prepare than facing the best boxer in the world. I will book my seat on the plane to the Worlds in July. Then I will go and win them and bring back gold for Ireland. I am very confident and after being in with Mayweather and Gamboa. I know I can face anybody.

"I will consider going Pro but only after I achieve everything at amateur level first. I will be a gold medalist in the Olympics in 2012 too. I am not trying to sound cocky but I am confident and I have to believe in myself. I beat the current world amateur champion at my weight in the O2 on the under card of Bernard Dunne's big fight and in the National Championships, but was robbed twice. The president of the IABA said the judges beat me not any fighter in Nationals. Now I am going to ensure its impossible for anything like that to happen again," the qualified fitness instructor concluded.

pimp.gif
Nice.

Ward aint got that one pnch KO ability like Nonito
Nonito is def a favorite of mine.

Whens pinoy power 2?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

pimp.gif
Nice.

Ward aint got that one pnch KO ability like Nonito
Nonito is def a favorite of mine.

Whens pinoy power 2?
Aug. 15

I wasn't too excited for the Floyd/Marquez fight at first (honestly..them fools just gonna talk about PacMan). But Floyd's injury seems serious and JMMcould take full advantage of that.

Need to get me a team boxing sig.
tell me colors u want and if u want any boxers in the sig.

But Floyd's injury seems serious and JMM could take full advantage of that.
Mannnn Floyd mighta wanted to wait a lil longer. JMM is going to go to work on them Ribs, at first, the fight was a one sided Laugher IMO, nowwith a Rib injury caused by punches... I still dont think JMM can win but at least theres a target

I was reading on another forum where someone who was there gave a breakdown of what happened and basically Floyd had his way with the guy the entire time (lookat his face) but he must have gotten in some good body shots somewhere along the way. I think JMM's only hope that the ribs don't fully recover.

I'm still not even 100% certain this is true since there was talk about the fight being delayed because of poor ticket sales but who knows...

Damn Rick
smh.gif

Ain't really tryin to see dude comeback but he's gotta have some concern about his health. Hope he's just being lazy and not depressed about hislast %%+ whoopin.

Hell No

laugh.gif
hes got a double chin and double cheeks how the @!%% does he have fat layers around his face

Its only been a couple months sonce he was in shape. HOW DO U FALL OFF LIKE THAT? HOW! LMAO
he must be getting IVs of crisco, Hot Wing Sauce and Beer
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom