09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

On a side-note...about to watch the JuanMa fight. I just want to know....why the hell does Top Rank wanna match him and Gamboa up? Does Gamboa's team have a death wish? Ya'll know damn well...that chin is not gonna be able to handle anything JuanMa throws at him.

Arum was talking about 1 1/2 - 2 years before that fight takes place. I'd go with Juanma but I don't think Gamboa's chin is that bad. I know he's been down a bunch but I've never actually seen him hurt.

I know you guys are saying Ortiz was only getting beat down that last round but if you saw him in the corner before that round he looked dead. Everyone in therows around me knew that was gonna be the last round if Maidana came out aggressive, thats why we were standing from the bell. And we were right.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

I know you guys are saying Ortiz was only getting beat down that last round but if you saw him in the corner before that round he looked dead. Everyone in the rows around me knew that was gonna be the last round if Maidana came out aggressive, thats why we were standing from the bell. And we were right.

I think he got with maybe 3 or 4 rights in the last 20 seconds of the round and then in the 6th Maidana came out and stopped him. He basically got beat up formaybe a minute or so in that time span and when he gets knocked down you shake your head and wave your hands and quit. %*++ that. You're not a boxeryou're a !*#@$ with no heart who can't take the pressure. Boxing is not his sport. It may be his sport again if they fill the ring with the sametomato cans he's been facing his whole career, but he should never be relevant again. And it's sad because he's a GBP fight he'll probablystill keep getting big fights and Maidana won't. Way of the business.

A good amount of blame should go towards GBP as well. They have one of their better young fights that they're trying to build up and put him in with abunch of nobodies who he's going to beat. That's all perfectly fine. But then don't put him in with someone as dangerous as Maidana. Ifyou're going to build him up that gradually don't make that huge jump to the calibur of fighter that Maidana is. He was 25-1 with 24 KO's for areason. IDK.

The real loser Saturday night....
[h1]Juarez is no 'Rocky'[/h1]
By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports Jun 29, 12:59 pm EDT

Victor Ortiz was tagged with the defeat, but the real loser on Saturday was Rocky Juarez.

Ortiz, Golden Boy Promotions' heavily hyped super lightweight prospect, engaged in a spirited slugfest with Marcos Maidana at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. He knocked Maidana down three times, but succumbed to Maidana's overwhelming power early in the sixth round. Maidana won the interim World Boxing Association super lightweight title with the upset technical knockout victory.

Ortiz' left eye was swollen shut. A nasty laceration traversed his right eyebrow. Blood dripped from his nose and mouth. He didn't argue when referee Raul Caiz Sr. wanted to stop the bout, which HBO analyst Max Kellerman correctly noted.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
b

He clearly was a beaten fighter. But Juarez was the loser.

Juarez was supposed to have faced classy featherweight Chris John in a rematch as the co-main event of the HBO-televised card. John and Juarez fought an entertaining bout in Juarez' hometown of Houston in February, which most observers thought John won, but was inexplicably was scored a draw. The rematch was postponed last week, though, when John withdrew because of illness.

HBO wanted to keep Juarez on the card. So, too, did Golden Boy. There was less than a week remaining and there weren't a lot of options available. But Juarez declined to fight Mario Santiago, a serviceable though hardly great fighter who was offered as a replacement and was acceptable to both Golden Boy and HBO.

He wasn't, though, acceptable to Juarez, who said he didn't want to fight a left-hander on such short notice. He had trained for John and didn't want to take the risk of a loss to a fighter with a dramatically different style.

That was his choice.

But it's my choice to not watch him any more. He calls himself a warrior, but the kind of warriors I want to see in the ring don't worry whether the opponent is left-handed or right-handed. The kinds of warriors who really command respect are those who eagerly accept a challenge, no matter the odds.

It's no loss not getting to see Juarez again. He's 0-4-1 in five world title fights and really should be 0-5, as John clearly deserved to win their first fight. The guy's never won a fight that matters.

He also hasn't earned the right to hand-pick his opponents. Manny Pacquiao has. So, too, has Miguel Cotto. They've faced a who's who of the best fighters of their time. By their accomplishments, they have the earned the right to pick and choose their upcoming opponents. It says a lot about the character of the men that they seek out the best fighters they can find to meet.

And then there are the guys who have never so much as won one title fight saying "no," in the process hurting the broadcast and the ticket-buying public by declining to face a journeyman contender because he's left-handed.

Juarez is not remotely in the Pacquiao/Cotto class. His decision to walk away from a match with Santiago - a fight he likely would have won - proves he'll never be close to either of them. What Juarez did is the equivalent of Zack Greinke backing out of a start because the lineup he would have faced had too many left-handed hitters in it.

Yes, a loss to Santiago would have been devastating for Juarez. Yes, it would have been awkward making adjustments for a left-hander who moves differently and who throws punches from vastly different angles than John. And yes, Santiago would have had nothing to lose and Juarez would have had little to gain from a win.

But Juarez would have made a statement about himself, about his skills and about his belief in his talents if he would have gone out and done away with Santiago.

Don't be fooled into thinking Santiago is some kind of reincarnation of Salvador Sanchez. He's a solid professional fighter, but if Juarez fancies himself a world champion, Santiago is the kind of guy he'll have to beat.

Can you imagine Pacquiao turning the bout down? Or Cotto? Or Juan Manuel Marquez or Israel Vazquez or any of three dozen or so other fighters who epitomize what a warrior really is? Juarez uses the word to describe himself, but he's really a front-runner.

He's a warrior when it suits him, when things are going good, when they're easy and laid out and he knows what to expect.

A boxer proves himself a warrior by his actions in the ring, by his willingness to take on all comers, by his desire to show he's the best.

Rocky Juarez did none of that.

That's why he came up a loser even though he didn't fight on Saturday night.

Maidana =Carlos Maussa they pop up every few years and disappear casue you know what they aint that good just beat the right guy on th right night , ButMaidana will get a payday or 2 out of it .
Word is Ortiz is going to Freddie Roach , But according to some there have been gym Rumors that Ortiz didnt have sturdy chin and was a bit of a front runner .Well i guess that came too light huh ?lol

Well we still got Juanma the pure animal

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

I know I'm in the minority here and as a fan it's disappointing to see someone quit like that but in a way I can respect it. He said he doesn't need to take that kind of punishment, that he wants to live a long healthy life, or something to that extent. I can only be so mad at someone for not putting their health at risk for my entertainment. It's not like he quit after the first punch landed. He was dropped twice, had a badly swollen eye, and was eating a ton of right hands for the last rounds. He's still very young and has a long career ahead of him.

I feel like Victor just made it very clear that being a champion is not important to him. If being a champion isn't important, he's in the wrongbusiness. If you're a boxer, you know there's always a chance you're gonna take punishment. It's like my HS football coach would say "Ifyou don't wanna get hit, go play tiddlywinks or double dutch or women's lacrosse."

Originally Posted by BayBuryYa

I know I'm in the minority here and as a fan it's disappointing to see someone quit like that but in a way I can respect it. He said he doesn't need to take that kind of punishment, that he wants to live a long healthy life, or something to that extent. I can only be so mad at someone for not putting their health at risk for my entertainment. It's not like he quit after the first punch landed. He was dropped twice, had a badly swollen eye, and was eating a ton of right hands for the last rounds. He's still very young and has a long career ahead of him.

I feel like Victor just made it very clear that being a champion is not important to him. If being a champion isn't important, he's in the wrong business. If you're a boxer, you know there's always a chance you're gonna take punishment. It's like my HS football coach would say "If you don't wanna get hit, go play tiddlywinks or double dutch or women's lacrosse."

go talk that non sense to Arturo Gatti

smh.gif

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by BayBuryYa

I feel like Victor just made it very clear that being a champion is not important to him. If being a champion isn't important, he's in the wrong business. If you're a boxer, you know there's always a chance you're gonna take punishment. It's like my HS football coach would say "If you don't wanna get hit, go play tiddlywinks or double dutch or women's lacrosse."

go talk that non sense to Arturo Gatti

smh.gif

I can respect it if he just gets beat down. The dude gave up... he said he'll quit before he gets laid out. With the way the fight was going, who'sto say that he wouldn't have ended up KO'ing Maidana? I definitely didn't expect to see Maidana get out of the 2nd round. I just wasn'tfeelin Victor's whole attitude about the *#*# after he lost... like he couldn't care less.

With the way the fight was going, who's to say that he wouldn't have ended up KO'ing Maidana?
Everyone watching the fight

laugh.gif

I just wasn't feelin Victor's whole attitude about the *#*# after he lost... like he couldn't care less.

I think he knew it wasn't his night and that eye wasn't getting any better.

So yall are condoning his quit job?

smh.gif

and then the spin after the fight is funnier. now they sayin the doctor stopped the fight.
laugh.gif

if the doc sent him back out there, he was gonna take a dive on the next punch that breezed by his face. his heart aint in it.

^^^Dope Avy.
and then the spin after the fight is funnier. now they sayin the doctor stopped the fight.
laugh.gif

Technically, it was.
grin.gif

Real talk, I think that was cover-up. Vic waved his hand like a white flag.....but the ref still took him to the docter and was saying something like"It's over right. I'm going to stop it." Just so Victor and GBP could save face.

At least my take anyway.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

smh.gif
I'm condoning a 22 year old thinking about his health in a fight he was gonna lose anyways

This won't be Vic's last opportunity, not by a long shot

I told y'all in March the hype machine surrounding this kid was way outta hand

who's to say that he wouldn't have ended up KO'ing Maidana?
That mans balls were in his stomach he wasn't KO'ing anyone. If he would have kept coming forward Maidana would have knocked his headoff.

And String I agree with you that this isn't his last opportunity but that's more to the fact that he's a GB fighter not because he's a goodfighter.

he was gonna lose anyway?
he was ahead in the fight.
If he stuck a jab out there and kept his left up, he walks that fight home.

"Having Heart" aint learned.
a young quitter turns into an old quitter.

He worried about his health now all of a sudden after 26 fights.
just so happen was the first fight he faced some opposition.
that guy made that up to try and cover the fact his heart pumps Kool Aid.
and them couple previous fights that looked fixed... startin to look even more shady

pimp.gif
Sir rob, Glad u like new Punisher Avy
pimp.gif

!+%+++% Punisher and his damn dhalsim punch
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

C'mon Shane or Kelly take the damn fight with Paul already.

Anyways.. the 'Guard Your Grill' episode of Martin is airing this friday on TVone
smokin.gif

laugh.gif
His arms so long he can punch under his own arms, I first seen him do it vs Margarito.

he threw it like 4 times vs Winky, the ref warned him
laugh.gif
but it aint illegal, the ref just aint never seen no @%@$ like that before
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Some criticism is warranted. I don't see anything wrong with anyone questioning what he did and what that might mean for his future. That's different then mocking someone saying they have no balls, etc.

Question: Who here fights and has taken that amount of punishment in the ring?

Back
Top Bottom