09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Khan World Champ. (120-108, 118-111 twice).

pimp.gif
I'm impressed.

25th World Champ for Roach.
sick.gif

A few weeks back, promoters Dan Goossen and Bob Arum of Top Rank held discussions on a possible middleweight bout between WBO/WBC champion Kelly Pavlik and multi-division contender Paul Williams.

"About three weeks ago, two weeks ago, I had discussions with Bob Arum regarding a possible Pavlik-Paul Williams fight. Now as we know, Paul Williams has fought at 160-pounds but he's actually a 147-pounder," Goossen said to BoxingScene.com's Thomas Schlabe.

Goossen tells BoxingScene that he pitched an even 50-50 deal and Arum wanted no part of the deal. Based on their recent runs in the ring, Goossen believes that both sides are entitled to an even split.

"Coming off that great win over Winky Wright, obviously Kelly is still reeling somewhat from the loss to Bernard Hopkins. Regardless of that, we feel that Paul is at the top of the divisions whether it's 147, 154, 160 or 168," Goossen said.

"I told Bob that I wasn't going to get into a situation where I thought, that based on Paul's recent win over Wright and Pavlik's recent loss to Hopkins - I wasn't going to sit there and put Pavlik at a smaller percentage. I told him that we would be willing to do the fight at 50-50, co-promotion and each side split it down the middle and Bob didn't want any part of it."

Top Rank recently spoke with HBO and three middleweight opponents are being looked at for Pavlik's return on October 3 at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City - Winky Wright, Sergio Martinez and Felix Sturm.

smh.gif
Arum...
[h2]Promoter: Hatton 'shouldn't be fighting'[/h2]

Comment Email Print Associated Press

MANCHESTER, England -- With Amir Khan now a world champion, many English boxing fans will be hoping to see him in the ring with Ricky Hatton.

Though the 22-year-old Khan's trainer is enthusiastic about a Battle of Britain bout, promoter Frank Warren has strong reservations.

Hatton's future in the sport has been in doubt since he was knocked out by Manny Pacquiao in the second round of their 140-pound title fight in May and he went to the hospital for a precautionary brain scan.

Hatton, who has been known for quickly putting on weight after fights, has returned to a hospital in his native Manchester in the past week with a stomach bug.

Warren insists that the 30-year-old Hatton is not up to fighting Khan, who captured the WBA light-welterweight title by unanimous decision against Andreas Kotelnik on Saturday.

"Ricky shouldn't be fighting -- it's not good for boxing and it's not good for him more importantly," Warren said on Sunday. "He's just been in hospital for overindulgence or whatever that may be.

"I don't think he should fight again, he should definitely retire. If the fight happened and, God forbidden, something bad happens, everyone would blame boxing. Sometimes fighters go on and at the end of the day bad things happen."

Trainer Freddie Roach, whose strict regime has turned around Khan's fortunes since he was knocked out in 54 seconds by Breidis Prescott, is less gloomy about Hatton's future prospects.

"If he does decide to fight again and continue his career, then he's made for my guy," Roach said. "I'd take that fight in a heartbeat."

Khan is leaving the decision to his team.

"I'm a fan of Ricky Hatton and I'd like him to support me on the way to achieving what he's achieved," Khan said. "Boxing is a game where you have to face fighters, and for Britain it would be a huge fight.

"Let's see what happens. I'll leave it with Frank and Freddie and if they think it's the right move for me to make, then I'll do it."

A more realistic prospect for Khan, after outclassing Kotelnik from start to finish with quick combinations and impressive footwork despite stepping up a division, is traveling to the United States.

"It's time to go to America and fight the big names over there," Khan said. "Now I'll get people knocking on my door. I want to fight the likes of [Juan Manuel] Marquez, because I think my style will go up against theirs. ... We'll give it a few weeks and see where we go."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

[h2]Lebedev makes fast work of Maccarinelli[/h2]

Comment Email Print Associated Press

MANCHESTER, England -- Enzo Maccarinelli is considering retirement after being stopped in the third round by Denis Lebedev on Saturday, a third defeat in four fights for the former WBO cruiserweight champion.

Maccarinelli was outclassed by Lebedev (18-0, 13 KOs), whose series of unanswered left hooks made referee Terry O'Connor stop the contest at M.E.N. Arena.

The big-punching Maccarinelli (29-4) has been struggling to rebuild his career since losing the WBO title to David Haye last March in a second-round knockout.

"To be honest, I'm just devastated," Maccarinelli said. "I don't think I've got it anymore. I trained hard but nothing went right for me, I felt a bit gun-shy."

On a bill topped by 2004 Olympic silver medalist Amir Khan, a trio of Britain's Beijing competitors easily made it three wins out of three since turning professional, but created little entertainment.

Middleweight gold medalist James DeGale stopped Ciaran Healey at the end of the first round with a sharp left body shot, Frankie Gavin stopped Graham Fearn in the second round, and Billy Joe Saunders stopped Matt Scriven.

"It was all right, 6 out of 10," DeGale said. "I'm just practicing what I do in the gym in the ring, but maybe I only hit second gear."

Gavin, who knocked down Fearn twice to claim a third straight win, had his medal chances in Beijing ruined when he had weight problems going into the Olympics.

"That's the best so far," Gavin said, after finishing Fearn off with a left hook to the body. "I wasn't tense or loose, I was more relaxed and everything went perfectly."

Saunders, who lost in the second round in Beijing, stopped Scriven in the second round.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Just watched FNF and the Khan fight....

Rigondeaux doesn't do a whole lot for me...I feel like he fights way too conservative considering the competition. Lara on the other hand is a guy I wantto see more of and I think he might end up being the most successful of the group.

Khan is a really boring for a guy who threw almost 900 punches. Move, jab, move, throw a 3-4 punch ineffective combination with no power, repeat. 120-108from that one judge
tired.gif

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

A few weeks back, promoters Dan Goossen and Bob Arum of Top Rank held discussions on a possible middleweight bout between WBO/WBC champion Kelly Pavlik and multi-division contender Paul Williams.

"About three weeks ago, two weeks ago, I had discussions with Bob Arum regarding a possible Pavlik-Paul Williams fight. Now as we know, Paul Williams has fought at 160-pounds but he's actually a 147-pounder," Goossen said to BoxingScene.com's Thomas Schlabe.

Goossen tells BoxingScene that he pitched an even 50-50 deal and Arum wanted no part of the deal. Based on their recent runs in the ring, Goossen believes that both sides are entitled to an even split.

"Coming off that great win over Winky Wright, obviously Kelly is still reeling somewhat from the loss to Bernard Hopkins. Regardless of that, we feel that Paul is at the top of the divisions whether it's 147, 154, 160 or 168," Goossen said.

"I told Bob that I wasn't going to get into a situation where I thought, that based on Paul's recent win over Wright and Pavlik's recent loss to Hopkins - I wasn't going to sit there and put Pavlik at a smaller percentage. I told him that we would be willing to do the fight at 50-50, co-promotion and each side split it down the middle and Bob didn't want any part of it."

Top Rank recently spoke with HBO and three middleweight opponents are being looked at for Pavlik's return on October 3 at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City - Winky Wright, Sergio Martinez and Felix Sturm.

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

Khan is a really boring for a guy who threw almost 900 punches. Move, jab, move, throw a 3-4 punch ineffective combination with no power, repeat. 120-108 from that one judge
tired.gif

Yea i don't think he have pop...especially if he wants to stay at 140. But i dunno about him not being entertaining.

1. Vic Darchinyan (32-2-1)

The junior bantamweight champ stumbled in his step up to bantamweight. He was clearly outpointed by titleholder Joseph Agbeko in a brutal fight on July 11. But Darchinyan will return to junior bantamweight to defend his belts, according to promoter Gary Shaw.
Next: TBA.

2. Celestino Caballero (32-2)

Caballero retained his unified belts in a tough split-decision victory in his home country of Panama against South African mandatory challenger Jeffrey Mathebula on April 30, and now he is calling out Juan Manuel Lopez.

10. Rafael Marquez (38-5)

The former junior featherweight and bantamweight champ returned from a long layoff following his epic trilogy with Israel Vazquez to wipe out Jose Francisco Mendoza in three rounds on May 23. Marquez boxed as a featherweight, the division he intends to campaign in.

4. Robert Guerrero (24-1-1)

Fighting at lightweight, Guerrero beat down Efren Hinojosa until he retired after the eighth round with an arm injury June 12 on "Friday Night Fights." The win sets the stage for Guerrero to return to junior lightweight and challenge titlist Malcolm Klassen on HBO.

pimp.gif

5. Malcolm Klassen (24-4-2)

With Guerrero safely through his bout against Hinojosa, the South African titleholder will come to America to defend his belt on HBO against "The Ghost." Guerrero manager Shelly Finkel said the fight is a done deal.
Next: Aug. 22 vs. Guerrero.

4. Joel Casamayor (36-4-1)

The former champ is back in the gym training now that he has recovered from the bad back that forced him to pull out of an April 4 fight against former titlist Julio Diaz. Talks for a fall fight with Edwin Valero appear to have fizzled.

7. Michael Katsidis (25-2)

After originally rejecting the fight, Katsidis is now willing to face rising prospect Vicente Escobedo in a bout that could take place on the Sept. 19 Mayweather-Marquez HBO PPV undercard.

1. Sugar Shane Mosley (46-5)

Mosley is going to beg until the bitter end. Just when it looked as though he had come to the realization that he wasn't going to get Manny Pacquiao in the fall, Mosley began a new campaign in an effort to get him by announcing that he would be willing to make 140 pounds for the fight. That might be physically dangerous for Mosley to attempt. Good thing he won't have to because he's not getting the fight. Somebody close to him needs to tell it to him straight. Shane, if you're reading this: You're not getting the fight. Move on.

Come on son.

4. Andre Berto (25-0)

Coming off a virtual shutout of junior welterweight titlist Juan Urango on May 30, Berto has been ordered to fight a rematch with former titlist Luis Collazo, who dropped a decision to Berto in a terrific fight in January. Berto also might wind up with a huge opportunity against Mosley in the fall.

3. Sergei Dzindziruk (36-0)

Dzindziruk could be headed for the United States in the fall to defend his belt against interim titlist Williams.

4. Sergio Martinez (44-1-2)

Now that Forrest has been stripped and is no longer holding a belt hostage and ducking Martinez, who was elevated to full titleholder, he is planning a fall defense in Spain, where he lives. However, there's a chance Martinez could land a middleweight championship fight with Kelly Pavlik, in which case the Spain fight be canceled.
Next: Sept. 26 vs. TBA.

1. Kelly Pavlik (35-1)

HBO has committed to a Pavlik fight in the fall, likely Nov. 21. However, who will he fight? There are three opponents with whom Top Rank is talking: Winky Wright, interim junior middleweight titlist Sergio Martinez and super middleweight titlist Karoly Balzsay. HBO will accept any of them. Sergio Mora, of course, is still sitting there with a signed contract for a June 27 bout that Top Rank and Pavlik canceled.

8. Winky Wright (51-5-1).

Although he is coming off a lopsided loss to Paul Williams, Wright has been mentioned as a possible opponent for Pavlik in the fall. There was also some talk of a fight with Sturm, and Wright is willing to travel to Germany for the opportunity.

2. Lucian Bute (24-0)

Although Bute was snubbed of an invitation to Showtime's tournament, he'll get bigger exposure when he defends his belt in a mandatory rematch with Librado Andrade on HBO, which will televise a fight from Canada for the first time in the 36 years the network has covered boxing. With a win, Bute looms as a likely future opponent for middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, who will move up in the next fight or two.
Next: Nov. 28 vs. Andrade.

5. Karoly Balzsay (21-0)

Hungary's Balzsay will make his second defense against former title challenger Robert Stieglitz (35-2) in conjunction with the WBO's annual convention, which this year takes place in Budapest in his home country. If Balzsay wins, he may be headed for America for a fall defense against middleweight champ Pavlik.
Next: Aug. 22 vs. Stieglitz.

6. Allan Green (28-1)

With most of the top middleweights tied up with other plans because of Showtime's tournament and Bute-Andrade II, Green is the odd man out.

How about Bika/Green fight?

Back
Top Bottom