09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by rockforlight

Does anyone think this is going to sell more ppv buys then the ufc match ? This fight happens to land on the week of Mexican Independence day...
Oh most definately.

Unless Brock or Silva is on UFC's card. (are they?)

Niketalker, I got nothing for you man sorry. Check HBO.com maybe you get something there.

BTW. JML fight Caballero I may go with the upset in that fight to derail JML/Gamboa...hell Luevano may outbox the hell out of Gamboa too...just saying...
What's brewing in boxing

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 | Print Entry

I'm headed to my virtual home away from home, the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, on Wednesday (got the upgrade) to cover the Floyd Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez fight, but before I hit the road, here's some stuff I've heard over the past few days:

• Was in touch with Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer over the weekend regarding Saturday's HBO PPV undercard. Of course, Zab Judah was supposed to fight Antonio Diaz in the televised opener, but Judah bailed for no good reason, leaving Golden Boy in a tough spot just a couple of weeks before the show. The company first tried to find a new opponent for Diaz, then looked around for an entirely new fight and then considered going with just three televised bouts. Ultimately, Schaefer said Golden Boy decided to elevate the featherweight match between Orlando Cruz and Cornelius Lock to television. "We could have gone with the three fights but felt that it makes sense to add Cruz versus Lock," Schaefer said. It could be a decent scrap, albeit not the most meaningful fight ever. One of the key reasons it wound up with the coveted TV slot once Judah-Diaz fell out is because Lock is one of Mayweather's fighters. The other two bouts are stellar: the Chris John-Rocky Juarez featherweight title rematch and a very interesting lightweight fight between Vicente Escobedo and Michael Katsidis.

• Also talked to manager Frank Espinoza and he filled me in on two of his fighters. He told me that former junior featherweight champ Israel Vazquez, who returns as a featherweight Oct. 10 in Los Angeles after a 19-month layoff caused by eye injuries following his epic trilogy with Rafael Marquez, will face Angel Antonio Priolo. Priolo has lost six in a row fighting at flyweight and bantamweight. But, hey, if anyone deserves a bit of a soft fight it's Vazquez, who needs to see where he is at after such a long layoff and so many hard fights. Incidentally, Vazquez's fight will be televised on HBO Plus, which is HBO's Latin American arm, for which Golden Boy supplies monthly cards that are not televised in the United States unless you have an illegal satellite dish hooked up. Espinoza also mentioned that Martin Castillo, a former junior bantamweight titlist, will have his second fight since ending his retirement. Castillo is scheduled to fight German Marez on a small show in Mexicali, Mexico, on Sept. 25.

Top Rank's Bob Arum, Todd duBoef and Carl Moretti were in New York on Friday and met with HBO executives Ross Greenburg and Kery Davis. One of the things to come out of the meeting was the promise that welterweight Joshua Clottey would get a spot on the televised undercard when the Kelly Pavlik-Paul Williams fight is rescheduled for Dec. 5. That's a makeup call from HBO, which promised to televise Shane Mosley against Clottey on Dec. 26 and then changed its mind. They also talked about a possible Jan. 23 "Boxing After Dark" doubleheader from Puerto Rico, which would be headlined by Puerto Rican junior featherweight titleholder Juan Manuel Lopez in the first bout of a two-fight deal with the network. They talked about a possible match with unified titlist Celestino Caballero, who has relentlessly called out Lopez for the past few months. Top Rank said it's willing to make the match, although from what Caballero promoter Leon Margules told me, he has yet to be contacted by Top Rank. The other fight discussed for the card was a featherweight unification bout between Yuriorkis Gamboa and Steven Luevano. The idea would be for Lopez to face the winner of Gamboa-Luevano in an HBO main event in June on the eve of the annual Puerto Rican parade at Madison Square Garden in New York. Lopez and Gamboa, of course, first have to win their fights on Oct. 10 at the MSG Theater.

• Spoke to promoter Gary Shaw at length on Sunday night and he filled me in on the Tim Bradley-Lamont Peterson junior welterweight title bout, which Shaw won the right to promote with a $575,000 purse bid. Shaw, who promotes Bradley, had protested the WBO's order that the split of the purse bid should be 60-40 in interim titleholder Peterson's favor because of a bizarre WBO rule that stipulates that if a fighter goes to the other man's home country (or in this case, hometown), he gets the bigger slice of the pie. Because Shaw is putting the fight on at the Agua Caliente resort in Rancho Mirage, Calif. (Bradley's neck of the woods), Peterson was supposed to get the lion's share. Then the WBO amended the decision and gave Bradley 50-50 when Shaw protested. However, there is conflicting language elsewhere in the WBO's messy rules essentially saying that in a fight such as this one (a titleholder versus an interim titleholder) the way to figure out the split is based on a formula that takes into account the last three purses for each fighter. Bradley, who is a titleholder with extensive exposure on Showtime, has been paid far more than the emerging Peterson in recent fights. "We went through an appeals process," Shaw said of a teleconference that included, him, Bradley co-manager Cameron Dunkin, Bradley co-manager and attorney Michael Miller, WBO representative John Duggan and Moretti, who was representing Peterson promoter Top Rank.

Ultimately, the WBO ruled in favor of Bradley and gave him an approximately 75-25 split based on his last three purses compared with Peterson's.

Also, the card has been moved from Dec. 5 to Dec. 12, Shaw said. The reason, he said, was "because it worked better for Showtime and Agua Caliente. And I did it because it worked better for Cameron as well."

It "worked better" for Showtime because now it won't compete head-to-head with a much bigger fight on HBO, the rescheduled Pavlik-Williams bout. It certainly helps Dunkin, who also manages Pavlik and now can attend both important fights.

Shaw also said he had finalized the Vic Darchinyan-Tomas Rojas junior bantamweight championship fight for the co-feature after making a deal with Rojas promoter Fernando Beltran.

• Promoter Jeff Wald, who should have a TV sitcom made about his life called "Off the Wald," told me that cruiserweight Troy Ross, who won "The Contender" last season, returns Oct. 3 in Montreal. No opponent yet.

• Condolences to promoter Lou DiBella on the death of his beloved dog, Brooklyn. As a pet owner and animal lover myself, I know how hard that is to handle. Pets are part of the family.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

laugh.gif
Chelsea loves herself some Pretty Boy.

Saturday night can not come soon enough.
laugh.gif
at Floyd stressing that he don't know Eddie Murphylike that. "He makes great movies." Cam voice, "We was cool, but not cool like that."

WAR JMM this will be a technical fight , JMM is the best combination puncher in the game Floyd hasnt fought a guy that throws punches like this in years . Idont think anyone is getting stopped JMM has miles better defense than dlh and hatton and he will fight smart . Floyds natural size will be factor though ,Floyd falls into a defensive/single punch mode and that will give JMM and opportunity to do some good work . Both should be sharp and ready to go , word isLamont peterson is giving Floyd some tough work in sparring .

How many of u buying this fight?...im wondering if it's worth it...undercard seems pretty good, but the main event just isn't enough for me, I seeFloyd using the same gameplan he had against DLH (use opponent's aggression against him early, tire him out, then dominate from the mid-late rounds on),only difference is JMM is more composed and more of a competitive fighter than DLH was...he also will probably go for the KO at the end just bc of all thepeople saying he doesnt have the power anymore

Mayweather wylin the week of the fight..

[h2]Mayweather lashes out at perception[/h2]

Floyd Mayweather, getting ready for his first bout in 21 months, has apparently lost none of the chip on his shoulder that made him one of boxing's most intriguing figures.

In an otherwise calm meeting with reporters on Tuesday, including ESPN.com's Kieran Mulvaney, Mayweather calmly and matter-of-factly lashed out at what he

"If you're rich, you're a rich n-----," he said. "If you're poor, you're a poor n----. If you're smart, you're a smart n-----. At the end of the day, they still look at me as a n-----."

Mayweather meets Juan Manuel Marquez in a 144-pound bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Saturday night (HBO PPV). Mayweather, 32, hasn't fought since beating Ricky Hatton nearly two years ago.

Earlier in the conversation, Mayweather compared the reception he received in England earlier this year to what he gets in the United States.

"This country needs to be more positive," he said. "We're already at war. We're in a recession, we're at war and we continue to be negative. The fans in the UK showed me more love than in my own country. That's crazy ... Sometimes I'll sit back, I'll be in my theater sometimes, and I'll think: 'Imagine if I was the same fighter that I am, and I was the same person that I am, and I was from another country. Can you just imagine how big I'd be?'

"But I wouldn't change my life for nothing in the world. There's nothing like being young, black and rich. But there are certain things you think about. If Floyd Mayweather was white, I'd be the biggest athlete in America. The biggest, the biggest. I know that for a fact."

Mayweather compared his public persona with that of Oscar De La Hoya, whom he beat on a split decision in May 2007.

"One thing you never hear. You never hear anything negative about Oscar De La Hoya," he said. "Anything he do negative, it gets swept under the rug."

He continued by complaining about two of HBO's broadcasters, who will be calling Saturday's fight.

"Larry Merchant don't know nothing about boxing," Mayweather said. "What's that other guy's name [at HBO]? [Emanuel Steward]. He's an Uncle Tom.

"One thing you can't knock. You cannot knock my talent."

Tuesday, it was reported that Mayweather is being sued by a bank in Las Vegas for more than $167,000 unpaid on a loan for a half-million-dollar luxury car. Also, county records in Las Vegas show Mayweather has one unresolved lien with the Internal Revenue Service for $6.17 million in unpaid taxes from 2007. Other records show homeowners associations, the state of New Jersey and a trash collector have also claimed Mayweather did not pay bills.

Mayweather was not asked about the financial issues in his chat with reporters, but on a recent episode of HBO's Mayweather/Marquez "24/7," which is documenting the fighters as they prepare for Saturday's match, he said: "I got a good relationship with the IRS; they ain't took nothing away from me."

In late August, Las Vegas police investigating a shooting outside a skating rink seized two handguns, ammunition and two bulletproof vests from the home and two cars of Mayweather. He was not named as a suspect in the investigation and was never charged.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4478216

Some valid points and some ignorant comments.

And who was that UFC dude talking !$$# about this fight..Talkin bout he's a real boxing fan but doesn't know who JMM is? What a dumb !%++..

i gets dude question tho

if you read all the media reports its PBF in blow out win

if your not a boxing fan reading that would you buy the fight?

yea, I'm hesitant on buying it myself but I know I will anyway. I just get the feeling it's not going to be close but a lot of knowledgeable peopleare saying otherwise so maybe I'm wrong.

Check this out - $25 rebate for the fight from Tecate though in some states it's not valid and in others your required to purchase a 12 pack of Tecatebeer. I was all happy about this until I saw the part about it only being $6 for VA residents
laugh.gif
...and I'd still have to purchase the beer.
http://cervezatecate.com/conditions.html

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

And who was that UFC dude talking !$$# about this fight..Talkin bout he's a real boxing fan but doesn't know who JMM is? What a dumb !%++..

dana white?

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by amishpimp27

How many of u buying this fight?...im wondering if it's worth it..

yeah, thats where I stopped reading

Two top ten P4P just not doing it for you?

laugh.gif
So you would buy a mayweather fight but not a pacquiao hatton fight?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan415

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

dana white?
Yeah I think so..Why are people so hesitant I don't know. JMM is arguably the best P4P..

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

i gets dude question tho

if you read all the media reports its PBF in blow out win

if your not a boxing fan reading that would you buy the fight?

Yea that's true.

I'm not buying it since I'm heading down to the one theatre in NYC showing it, but I would if I was home. Undercard is very solid and I think the mainevent will be good.

Samshox, difference between this card and that card is basically how good the fights on the undercard are.

Gunna sleeping?! Why hasn't the title changed yet?
JMM has miles better defense than dlh and hatton and he will fight smart
Come on bro.....JMM is notorious to getting his face pounded on. He may have better head movement than Hatton......

His defense might be better than that of DLH or Hatton but at the end of the day he is still a Mexican fighter, the take 3-4 punches to give 1 type of fighter.

Back
Top Bottom